GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Distronic/Lane Keeping Swerves out of Lane

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS 450
Distronic/Lane Keeping Swerves out of Lane

Per the subject, my GLS 450 abruptly swerves out of its lane for no apparent reason and under different conditions. It happens infrequently but could conceivably cause an accident if I didn't catch it quickly enough. I always keep my hands on the wheel. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem. Thanks
Old 11-29-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
That has happened to me only at highway exits, where the car wants to follow the exit instead of staying on the highway. But never like you say. Were the lines clearly visible when that happened? Was the sun shining straight at you from a low point (like at dusk/dawn)? Is the winshield clean in front of both cameras?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:45 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by 350MH83
That has happened to me only at highway exits, where the car wants to follow the exit instead of staying on the highway. But never like you say. Were the lines clearly visible when that happened? Was the sun shining straight at you from a low point (like at dusk/dawn)? Is the winshield clean in front of both cameras?
Thanks for your input. There was no issue with the sun and the cameras were clean. In any event, it doesn't seem like the car should abruptly swerve with no input from the driver even if the sun is low or there are exits. Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:04 AM

2017 GLS 350d
Abrupt swerves are maybe more due to the lane keeping assist, rather than the distronic. The lane keeping assist uses the brakes on one side or the other in order to pull the car back into its lane. It feels much more abrupt than distronic inputs, as it comes with a braking effect. I have experienced it on narrow roads where it is difficult to keep the car 100% in its lane at all time. It can be surprising and rather annoying when it triggers too much. I have disallowed it on my car as many roads in France are just too small for the GLS to sit properly in one channel at all times.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 AM

2017 GLS 450
Originally Posted by 350MH83
Abrupt swerves are maybe more due to the lane keeping assist, rather than the distronic. The lane keeping assist uses the brakes on one side or the other in order to pull the car back into its lane. It feels much more abrupt than distronic inputs, as it comes with a braking effect. I have experienced it on narrow roads where it is difficult to keep the car 100% in its lane at all time. It can be surprising and rather annoying when it triggers too much. I have disallowed it on my car as many roads in France are just too small for the GLS to sit properly in one channel at all times.
Thanks. It is due to the lane keeping assist. What concerns me is that it actually swerves out of the lane. It has happened to me on two and four lane roads. There are narrow bicycle paths where I drive which could be a problem. It swerves both to the right and sometimes to the left under varying conditions. Lane keeping assist is a nice safety feature most of the time, but could be a serious hazard at other times. I think MB needs to come up with a software fix.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

2017 GLS 450
Just thinking further: Lane keeping assist in normal operation gently adjusts direction in response to lane marking as opposed to an abrupt swerve as noted here.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:31 AM

2017 GLS 350d
I dont think the lane keeping assist acts on the steering. I think it only uses the brakes.
The Distronic Plus does act on the steering and is much smoother.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Quite a common occurance. So is simply drfting over the outside lane marker. The system is an aid, NEVER, take your hands off the wheel not even on a perfectly straight road under good weather conditions. The amount of torque available for the system is very low for a reason, to avoid having the system pull out of your control unexpectedly This gives you an idea why all the hubub about self driving cars is a bunch of BS. The MB sytem is state of the art, thus, your expiriences clearly shows that the "art" is barely in the stick figure phase.