GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

RaceChip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 GLS 63 AMG
RaceChip?

Serached in this section, nothing came up. Not a popular thing on X166?

I have a similar device on my Abarth, it actually works pretty good, almost like a real ECU tune.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GTS & 2018 AMG GLC 43 SUV
I purchased the RaceChip GTS Black unit for my 2018 GLC43. I just installed it and the car won't run with it attached. Followed the troubleshooting directions, reconnected factory lines, car works fine. Reconnected unit and car won't run. No error or engine icons on the dash, unit is powering up.

When I disconnected the unit with the RC cables still attached and inserted the plug into where the unit gets attached, the car started but the engine light came on.

I have an email out to RC....hopefully they will be able to fix the problem. Anyone have any suggestions or experienced this themselves?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:33 AM

...actually everything seems to be working fine now. after a few trips the engine light went off and the app seems to function properly. i didn't feel much gains with the unit in sport and car in sport, but do feel it with the unit in race and car in sport.

It took about three days for RC customer service to contact me, but by that time, everything seemed to be operating as intended.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
-
Racechip's are pretty heavily used by the BMW mod community. If you want to look at their general experiences you can do some digging on bimmerfest.com. You will even see bimmer enthusiast stacking tunes for greater performance.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Good to know....thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Forget chips. If you want additional performance get a tune. Renntech makes good MB ones. They are expesive but good well crafted ones. The tune for the 450 and 550 are excellent. Great power gains without screwing driveabilty or killing fuel economy.
The following users liked this post:
floribenz (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 PM

GLS-550 RennTech
I had RENNtech upgrade my 2018 GLS 550's ECU and so far, I like it - a lot. Yes it's expensive, but they know what they are doing so they charge accordingly for their expertise.

Last edited by floribenz; 05-08-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:33 AM

-
Appears that your GLS450 is relatively new and still under factory warranty:

Keep in mind that an ECU tune is easily detectable by the dealer (and difficult/near impossible for you to reverse on every visit). A tuned ECU presence is pretty much definitive and may have consequences for long term warranty coverage for your powertrain.

Where as a piggy back can be relatively easily removed prior to visiting...they may still be able to detect the potential former presence of piggy back, but more difficult for them to argue definitively. (detecting a piggy-back may include determining that operational parameters and readings were outside of normal ranges for x period of time)
The following users liked this post:
floribenz (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 AM

GLS-550 RennTech
Originally Posted by mercup
Appears that your GLS450 is relatively new and still under factory warranty:

Keep in mind that an ECU tune is easily detectable by the dealer (and difficult/near impossible for you to reverse on every visit). A tuned ECU presence is pretty much definitive and may have consequences for long term warranty coverage for your powertrain.

Where as a piggy back can be relatively easily removed prior to visiting...they may still be able to detect the potential former presence of piggy back, but more difficult for them to argue definitively. (detecting a piggy-back may include determining that operational parameters and readings were outside of normal ranges for x period of time)
Valid points Mercup. ECU tune is not for everyone. I have unique circumstances. My vehicle is within a few hours of RENNTech and my Mercedes dealer works well with RENNtech clients. When I told my Mercedes service guy Renntech had adjusted my ECU, he said they have customers who have done that and they work accordingly with them. According to RENNtech, Mercedes dealer would only be over-writing the custom ECU tune when there was a Mercedes software upgrade/patch they would - in which case RENNtech re-tunes the ECU at no charge. This could be a pain to uninstall/send out/reinstall the ECU if vehicle were not within driving distance of RENNtech. Also I don't ride the vehicle hard, but the performance upgrade to approx. 540hp is very noticeable and no noticeable decrease in mileage.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
The renntech tune for the 4.7l v8 is awesome, however, its almost 3k! Despite that, it is probably worth the cash. The 550 is electronically geared for economy (kind of and oxymoron) so the tune also probably changes that too. It virtually makes the 550 an AMG. Im getting tempted.......
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM

GLS-550 RennTech
Originally Posted by c4004matic
The renntech tune for the 4.7l v8 is awesome, however, its almost 3k! Despite that, it is probably worth the cash. The 550 is electronically geared for economy (kind of and oxymoron) so the tune also probably changes that too. It virtually makes the 550 an AMG. Im getting tempted.......
Yes, it felt fairly sluggish before the tune. I dealt with Pat Casey at RENNtech for my upgrades and he was very helpful.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 PM

-
Originally Posted by floribenz
Valid points Mercup. ECU tune is not for everyone. I have unique circumstances. My vehicle is within a few hours of RENNTech and my Mercedes dealer works well with RENNtech clients. When I told my Mercedes service guy Renntech had adjusted my ECU, he said they have customers who have done that and they work accordingly with them. According to RENNtech, Mercedes dealer would only be over-writing the custom ECU tune when there was a Mercedes software upgrade/patch they would - in which case RENNtech re-tunes the ECU at no charge. This could be a pain to uninstall/send out/reinstall the ECU if vehicle were not within driving distance of RENNtech. Also I don't ride the vehicle hard, but the performance upgrade to approx. 540hp is very noticeable and no noticeable decrease in mileage.
Wish my dealer was that open to mods. Mine looked at me funny when I black wrapped the chrome items on my GLS 550 with Night Package.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:39 PM

GLS 450
Originally Posted by floribenz
2016+ GLS 450 model on renntech site states 402HP.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
recently installed a racechip unit on mine at a local shop and it runs great. no issues , so far so good.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:34 AM

GLS 450
Originally Posted by subzero05
recently installed a racechip unit on mine at a local shop and it runs great. no issues , so far so good.
what kind? And where did you buy it from? I’ve been looking at racechip.us
Old 01-21-2020, 12:51 PM

CL500
Originally Posted by Elias Linares
what kind? And where did you buy it from? I’ve been looking at racechip.us
I have the GTS unit and I got it from emerald coast motorsport in florida. they were great to work with.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:43 PM

GLS 450
I have the GTS unit and I got it from emerald coast motorsport in florida. they were great to work with.
can you tell the difference with the chip? Worth it?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 PM

CL500
can you tell the difference with the chip? Worth it?
absolutely!!!!! definitely recommend
Old 01-21-2020, 02:13 PM

GLS 450
absolutely!!!!! definitely recommend
did you get app support? Sorry asking a bunch of questions bc I’m ready to pull the trigger on it. If you did get the app support what are your options for customization of tune?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLS580
I could never get mine to work on my GLS 550. I felt a difference. I don't know if it actually increased the power, but it definitely had a lot more low end torque. But unfortunately under anything but hard acceleration the engine would suddenly stop providing power for 3 seconds, then resume providing power for 5 seconds, and then repeat. It was as if the engine was sensing something was wrong with the engine and then scaling the power down a bit before trying again.

At I even got a check engine light which the code reader read as Cyl 4 (number would usually change when this code got logged) misfire.

Racechip promised to have a fix but after a month or two of waiting I never heard back despite multiple e-mails. I ended up trying to return it but they never sent me a shipping address. Tried a charge-back but wasn't successful due to them being located internationally. I just gave up at that point and threw the system away.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:35 AM

CL500
did you get app support? Sorry asking a bunch of questions bc I’m ready to pull the trigger on it. If you did get the app support what are your options for customization of tune?
Yes I have the app with mine. I would say its basic in terms that you can switch the "maps" on the fly. Not a whole lot past that but it works fine. I do like the product though and it does what's advertised. I got a good deal on it from a dealer as well.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:37 AM

CL500
Originally Posted by p5657587
I could never get mine to work on my GLS 550. I felt a difference. I don't know if it actually increased the power, but it definitely had a lot more low end torque. But unfortunately under anything but hard acceleration the engine would suddenly stop providing power for 3 seconds, then resume providing power for 5 seconds, and then repeat. It was as if the engine was sensing something was wrong with the engine and then scaling the power down a bit before trying again.

At I even got a check engine light which the code reader read as Cyl 4 (number would usually change when this code got logged) misfire.

Racechip promised to have a fix but after a month or two of waiting I never heard back despite multiple e-mails. I ended up trying to return it but they never sent me a shipping address. Tried a charge-back but wasn't successful due to them being located internationally. I just gave up at that point and threw the system away.
I do know they have a US location now in Florida, I got mine from their dealer referral down there.
emerald coast motorsport.

Perhaps yours needed a little more fine tuning as I haven't experienced any of that?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
2020 GLS580
I do know they have a US location now in Florida, I got mine from their dealer referral down there.
emerald coast motorsport.

Perhaps yours needed a little more fine tuning as I haven't experienced any of that?
Most likely that's what was needed. But they set a deadline and promised to have a fix and missed it and never bothered to respond to emails after that.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:29 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
C450 AMG
The chip I installed made the drivability and fuel economy even better on my C450. Unless you’re gonna drag race your car for money or want to blow a **** load of money, buy the chip and spend all the extra money on appearance. A full blown tune is a waste of big money unless you’re gonna win it back lol. The chip unlocks lower torque in higher gears and the response in the pedal is awesome. What more do you need. If you want big power and live to blow thousands, there’s much better things to buy than a tune.

Originally Posted by c4004matic
Forget chips. If you want additional performance get a tune. Renntech makes good MB ones. They are expesive but good well crafted ones. The tune for the 450 and 550 are excellent. Great power gains without screwing driveabilty or killing fuel economy.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM

CL500
Originally Posted by gpouliniii
The chip I installed made the drivability and fuel economy even better on my C450. Unless you’re gonna drag race your car for money or want to blow a **** load of money, buy the chip and spend all the extra money on appearance. A full blown tune is a waste of big money unless you’re gonna win it back lol. The chip unlocks lower torque in higher gears and the response in the pedal is awesome. What more do you need. If you want big power and live to blow thousands, there’s much better things to buy than a tune.
yep been very happy with mine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RaceChip?