GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

2017 GLS550 Transmission goes into Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLS550,. 2016 S550,. 2018 GLE AMG Coupe, 2017 C300 Convertible (traded), 2017 SLC300 (traded),
2017 GLS550 Transmission goes into Manual Mode

My 2017 550 transmission will switch into manual mode without touching the shift paddles. Happens when driving in D9 on freeway and look down and see it is now on M9. When car slows down, have to use paddle shifters to get back to higher gears. This has happened about 6 times and only way to get back to drive is to stop car, turn it off and restart the engine. Dealer reflashed transmission programming, but issue still exists. Anyone else experienced this issue and if so how was it fixed?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by Armanidog
My 2017 550 transmission will switch into manual mode without touching the shift paddles. Happens when driving in D9 on freeway and look down and see it is now on M9. When car slows down, have to use paddle shifters to get back to higher gears. This has happened about 6 times and only way to get back to drive is to stop car, turn it off and restart the engine. Dealer reflashed transmission programming, but issue still exists. Anyone else experienced this issue and if so how was it fixed?
Gotta take it back to the dealer if you ask me, very strange on a new car
Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 GLS 550 & 2016 SLK300
Not sure if you have the offroad package or not. I have the offroad package and while driving my wife accidentally (and without realizing) hit the manual button while putting her drink back in the cup holder. I couldn't figure-out why the 550 went into manual but couldn't easily figure-out how to get back into auto while driving down highway.

Just a thought, not likely since you had dealer look at it but just a thought from experience.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
2017 GLC300 2020 Toyota Rav4H AWD XLE
Originally Posted by GeneralToner
Not sure if you have the offroad package or not. I have the offroad package and while driving my wife accidentally (and without realizing) hit the manual button while putting her drink back in the cup holder. I couldn't figure-out why the 550 went into manual but couldn't easily figure-out how to get back into auto while driving down highway.

Just a thought, not likely since you had dealer look at it but just a thought from experience.
the way you solve is you shift to N, then back to D, then it'll go back to auto unless you use the gear shifters then it'll turn into M mode
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by GeneralToner

I was wondering the same thing. If this is not the problem, there is a definite problem with the tranny.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Other manufactures provide a simple way to go from Manual back to Auto by holding either paddle shifter for a few seconds. I've never understood why MB didn't employ the same method. Maybe some models already do this but not the GLS.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 703 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by JoeMa
Other manufactures provide a simple way to go from Manual back to Auto by holding either paddle shifter for a few seconds. I've never understood why MB didn't employ the same method. Maybe some models already do this but not the GLS.
It does just hold the right paddle for a few seconds. However since the the GLS has a munual mode button for off roading I have never tested it on the GLS.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Originally Posted by c4004matic
It does just hold the right paddle for a few seconds. However since the the GLS has a munual mode button for off roading I have never tested it on the GLS.
Holding either paddle in my GLS does not return it to Auto so you may be right about the manual button.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 and 2017 gls450
Same here, it will randomly switch to and will not go back into auto till I pull over and turn off the car.

The dealer has done a software update I will keep you posted
Old 09-12-2019, 07:14 AM

2017 450 Gls
Originally Posted by H3NRYR
Same here, it will randomly switch to and will not go back into auto till I pull over and turn off the car.

The dealer has done a software update I will keep you posted
Many update? My 2017 450 GLS just started doing the same thing and the dealer thinks I’m crazy
Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
GLS 550
So this happened to me on my 2017 GLS 550 when I first got it. The problem was my puppy pushing the manual button by the cup holders when she was moving around. To go back to automatic all I did was to push the button again and it went back to automatic. Hope this helps. If the dealer hasn't fixed the issue I would keep returning to them till its fixed.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:34 PM

2018 GLE 400
I have a 2018 GLE 400 that is also experiencing the same issue intermittently for over a year now. I used to own a 2015 GLE and never experience this issue.

When driving this vehicle on small roads the vehicle will automatically shift to m1 mode without any user initiation. The paddle shifts were never touched.
It happens intermittently from over a few weeks to a few months and every time I have brought it into the dealership - they run diagnostics and test drive and, surprise they cannot find anything *rolls eyes*

I am at my wits end. I've asked for computer reports on the vehicle to confirm all the instances the vehicle has gone to m1 mode from automatic and to avail.
Thankfully the vehicle has never engaged to manual mode while on the highway yet as the only way to disengage this issue is by pulling to the side and turning off the vehicle and turning it back on.
This has happened at least 5 times over the last year - and no help from the dealership.

Does anyone here have any input or resolution ideas?
Old 10-20-2021, 04:40 PM

Gle 350
Exact Same Problem

I know this thread is old but Im having the same issue. My gle 350 keeps shifting on its own while driving from automatic to manual. I have to pull over and turn it off to get it to go back into automatic
Old 10-20-2021, 05:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,022 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Replace main battery
Replace aux battery

If problem still present scan using XENTRY and focus on the transmission shift module/servo.
The following users liked this post:
T.Hunter (10-20-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 10:18 PM

GLS 450
same happened to me, after I read these posts I went an a test drive and when i pushed the manual button it went back to drive.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
GLS 550
Any updates?
Old 04-21-2022, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLS 550; 2018 Volvo XC90
I am having this same problem on my 2018 GLS 550. It started about two weeks ago, where I would look down and see that I was in manual with no input from the paddle shifters and nothing touching the "M" button in the center console. It happens consistently every drive, though it may not be in the first 15 minutes. On a few occasions, it has been problematic in that I'm pulling out of a stoplight and it will not shift up from M2, either by the + paddle or otherwise (even holding the + paddle). Eventually it rights itself but sometimes it's close to redlining. Other instances, I have gone to pass on the freeway and found myself in M9 with no power when I step on the gas, and no response when I try to switch back to D. I took it to the dealer who found a problem with the + paddle but otherwise can't duplicate the problem of course. (I've shared video with them that I took while driving). They also say that the paddle shifter problem is not covered under the CPO warranty, which I find outrageous if the paddle shifter is effectively an electrical switch communicating with the transmission, and the electrical system is generally covered. I'd love to hear if others have successfully resolved this issue or gotten paddle shifters covered by warranty.
Old 04-23-2022, 08:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,022 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
What was the "problem" found by the dealer regarding the paddle? The paddles are parts bin commodities used across many MB models and years.

Replace the main battery and aux batteries. A 4 model year old car can have batteries as old as 5 years depending on when the car was built. 5 years is the start of the replacement window. These cars have a heavy electrical draw from all of the gadgetry, and MB skimps wherever they can, for example on batteries.

Replace the main and aux batteries and report back.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
AUDI Q7
Originally Posted by Beemie
I am having this same problem on my 2018 GLS 550. It started about two weeks ago, where I would look down and see that I was in manual with no input from the paddle shifters and nothing touching the "M" button in the center console. It happens consistently every drive, though it may not be in the first 15 minutes. On a few occasions, it has been problematic in that I'm pulling out of a stoplight and it will not shift up from M2, either by the + paddle or otherwise (even holding the + paddle). Eventually it rights itself but sometimes it's close to redlining. Other instances, I have gone to pass on the freeway and found myself in M9 with no power when I step on the gas, and no response when I try to switch back to D. I took it to the dealer who found a problem with the + paddle but otherwise can't duplicate the problem of course. (I've shared video with them that I took while driving). They also say that the paddle shifter problem is not covered under the CPO warranty, which I find outrageous if the paddle shifter is effectively an electrical switch communicating with the transmission, and the electrical system is generally covered. I'd love to hear if others have successfully resolved this issue or gotten paddle shifters covered by warranty.
strar
start t/stop the car. Sometimes got a fluke like that.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:48 PM

R350
I have the same vehicle and have had this happen a few times. Ultimately it resets when I shut it down and restart. PITA, but only has happened a handful of times over my three years with the vehicle.