GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Trailer hitch install options for 2018 GLS 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW
Trailer hitch install options for 2018 GLS 450

I found at local Mercedes dealer, a CPO 2018 GLS450 that has all the bells and whistles that I want except trailer hitch. This SUV will be used for family trips including towing a 22-foot boat, so trailer hitch is a must. Before I test drive, I was wondering what are my options to install a trailer hitch, can it be installed for a reasonable cost at the dealer or somewhere outside? I just want to be informed before I enter the dealership to negotiate out of the door cost. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:02 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
I have a 2018 without a trailer hitch. Asked the dealer shortly after purchase what it would cost to install one. Was quoted a very high price, something like $2000. Chose to go without. Was told it was costly because of the need to do quite a bit of welding. It is only a $500 or close option when ordered with a new 450.

Others may know of other options.
The following users liked this post:
whatisnext (08-23-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:41 AM

BMW
Originally Posted by wyatt88
I have a 2018 without a trailer hitch. Asked the dealer shortly after purchase what it would cost to install one. Was quoted a very high price, something like $2000. Chose to go without. Was told it was costly because of the need to do quite a bit of welding. It is only a $500 or close option when ordered with a new 450.

Others may know of other options.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Also not sure how the trailer hitch harness wiring is on GLS 450. If not then that's another issue and I assume only the dealer has access to the software to program it. That's why I want to know all my options before start negotiating the price including trailer hitch installation, wiring etc.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
You can put an after market hitch but it would not have all the features a from the factory system would have from the factory. Mercedes with factory hitches has features like ESP ( Electronic Stability Control), and probably transmission cooler etc. . An after market hitch would not have all these. A factory installed hitch has tow weight of over 7,000 lbs at least on the ML350. After market hitch would have lower limit. I would not have a problem having an after market hitch on the car as long as I did not tow heavy trailers , or for short trips. Check with a local camper shop who sells campers and has experience in hitch installation. They can also install the correct electrical hookup. Also, check with U haul hitches. I have hitches on all my cars, some I have installed my self and others that I have had installed by hitch store. I highly recommend the stealth hitch, not sure they make them for your model though.

Also recommend using the search function on this site for trailer hitches.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
whatisnext (08-23-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 184 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Ignore stuff about transmission coolers, etc. ... all GL are completely ready to tow a trailer and all that’s needed is the installation of the hitch itself plus the trailer wiring. I’m unfamiliar with X166, but on X164 a new rear signal acquisition module (SAM) was also required ... this is the component the trailer wiring and the trailer brake controller wiring plug in to. Nothing about hitch installation is related to ESP because the feature already exists. It should be considered mandatory that the hitch be dealer installed, especially the electrical portion. You don’t scotchlok onto Mercedes wiring ... which is the skill level at Uhaul, etc.

yes, even in 2007 a factory installed hitch was a $500 option and dealer retrofit was $2K. I say shame on dealers that didn’t order the option and yeah, if you’re looking at used GL you’d like to find one with the hitch already there.
The following 2 users liked this post by lkchris:
slicksimon (08-14-2020), whatisnext (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:50 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
You can put an after market hitch but it would not have all the features a from the factory system would have from the factory. Mercedes with factory hitches has features like ESP ( Electronic Stability Control), and probably transmission cooler etc. . An after market hitch would not have all these. A factory installed hitch has tow weight of over 7,000 lbs at least on the ML350. After market hitch would have lower limit. I would not have a problem having an after market hitch on the car as long as I did not tow heavy trailers , or for short trips. Check with a local camper shop who sells campers and has experience in hitch installation. They can also install the correct electrical hookup. Also, check with U haul hitches. I have hitches on all my cars, some I have installed my self and others that I have had installed by hitch store. I highly recommend the stealth hitch, not sure they make them for your model though.

Also recommend using the search function on this site for trailer hitches.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by lkchris
Ignore stuff about transmission coolers, etc. ... all GL are completely ready to tow a trailer and all that’s needed is the installation of the hitch itself plus the trailer wiring. I’m unfamiliar with X166, but on X164 a new rear signal acquisition module (SAM) was also required ... this is the component the trailer wiring and the trailer brake controller wiring plug in to. Nothing about hitch installation is related to ESP because the feature already exists. It should be considered mandatory that the hitch be dealer installed, especially the electrical portion. You don’t scotchlok onto Mercedes wiring ... which is the skill level at Uhaul, etc.

yes, even in 2007 a factory installed hitch was a $500 option and dealer retrofit was $2K. I say shame on dealers that didn’t order the option and yeah, if you’re looking at used GL you’d like to find one with the hitch already there.

Thank you for sharing your experience and ideas. I end up purchasing a different CPO GLS 450 that has a factory installed tow hitch package and much more. Now I am looking to purchase Extended Limited Warranty coverage, I see there are some good threads with recommendations.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
MB GLS450
The hitch is built into the impact bar behind the rear bumper. Wonder if it is a straight replacement from the impact bar without the hitch. See link below for part.

​​​​​​OEM Hitch Link

You can probably find one at a junkyard if you look hard enough.
​​​​
Old 08-08-2022, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450
2018 GLS 450 - MB Trailer Hitch Kit

I am having a really hard time finding a dealership that still has a trailer hitch kit for a 2018 GLS 450 and that is willing to sell it. Unfortunately, as I understand, the kit is no longer being manufactured so it is no longer on the MBParts site. However, there are dealerships out there that might still have access to one. I have two or 3 dealerships say that they can see it but when they reach out, the parts department says that they don't have it. Is there a better way to find this at a dealership that might be willing to sell it my local MB Dealership? I am based out of Utah.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
You've revived a dead thread. On our 2010 ML350 (now long gone) I went through the search you're describing and settled on an aftermarket hitch from etrailer.com that worked well. The wiring wasn't too hard given the nifty aftermarket kits now available that allow for a vampire splice onto the existing tail light plug wire. I just looked and it does appear there is a highly rated kit available for a 2018 GLS450 https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_...s-Benz_GLS.htm I'd at least look into it.
Old 08-08-2022, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450
Thanks for your help Mrobinson!