GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Is my GLS 550 totaled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS550
Is my GLS 550 totaled?

Hi! I was in an accident a few weeks ago. Icy, snowy conditions and lost traction on I70 heading home from the mountains in Colorado. Thankful to come to a stop on the shoulder but then hit by a semi 😳. My car has been bouncing from repair shops but is currently at the certified MB repair shop recommended by my dealer. Original repair estimate was $28k. What do you think? Can they fix it or should it be totaled? Airbags not deployed. All is fine except front…

Old 03-31-2022, 08:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Glad you are OK. The insurance company will give you the answer. If the longitudinal frame rails behind the bumper beam are bent it's a likely total.

Do all 5 doors open and close smoothly without exception? Windshield cracked? Sunroof open and close smoothly without hiccup?
Old 03-31-2022, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLS550
Thank you for responding! Honestly I’m not sure if all the doors open. The drivers door was fine. No cracks in windshield or windows. Haven’t tried the sunroof. It was towed for repairs from the accident site almost a month ago. First repair shop didn’t have the equipment to fix the bent rail, but I think the new shop does. That said, they are so busy they haven’t looked at it yet. Lots of wrecked cars in Denver this time of year.

I loved my GLS so much - such a fabulous car. I hope they can fix it but at the same time am scared it will never be the same.
Old 04-01-2022, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS550
Having gone through this recently, I totally feel your pain..Glad you are ok.

Based on your mileage check what’s the value of the car and what the insurance is going to offer. The hard part for me was to let go, however in my situation the insurance payout was higher than the value of the car. Ask the insurance what would be the buyback value as is? In other words what would they sell you the car + difference in check for the cost of repair. The other factor that made me let go was in my case the title if declared total will have to go through certification via motor vehicles as road worthy. Then the insurance , once say it’s repaired and has been road worthy may or may not offer appropriate coverage and the thought of anything else not failing and driving was not worth the hassle. It was a very hard decision but had to let it go…I still remember all the tiny mods I had done to date…
Old 04-11-2022, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X166 forum...