GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

2020 GLS X167 News

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ksalno
I’m pretty sure that U09 was a mandatory add when I selected the Magma leather interior, because I wouldn’t have ordered it otherwise. Based on that, I’d say the answer to your question is no, the lower dash is not covered with leather.
Thanks for your response. U09 is an option which I will go back and add to the build. I skipped it as I was under the false impression that the designo interior would include the wrapped lower dash as it did in my current GL63. Maybe the 580 is different.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - I haven't followed the full thread - if "you" don't have a confirmed factory PO for a GLS580 already - 100% you will not get a 580 this year - if you have a factory PO for a 580 now - chances are 50/50 you will get your 580 this year..
Old 09-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Frankly - I haven't followed the full thread - if "you" don't have a confirmed factory PO for a GLS580 already - 100% you will not get a 580 this year - if you have a factory PO for a 580 now - chances are 50/50 you will get your 580 this year..
fabbris1 do you know how the orders are prioritized for build dates currently on the GLS580?
A month after I made my order with the dealer in April I got a PO number for my GLS580. Dealer told me he had to wait to see if he would have allocation for it. That was back in May but production dates have moved 4 times since then from mid Aug. to Nov. It is a Canadian spec. GLS580 and the only option added is 22 inch wheels which Mercedes forced on us last week due to no 21 inch available. This last production date change was last week, now it is Nov. 21.
What are my odds of getting it produced before the end of Nov.?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2011 Audi A4, 2014 E63S Wagon, 2020 GLS 580
I have a PO# (ordered last month once my dealer got their allocations). Current build date is December but it will be planned in November, so build could move. I'm not worried about getting it this calendar year but I do need to replace by 2010 GL350 at some point. My dealer only had two allocations for 580 in December (none earlier).
Old 09-21-2019, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I just want member's to know up front that GLS580's for this year will be very/very tight - initial production is currently scheduled for 2nd week November - so we will see.

For those member's who have been working with their dealers and have a 580 on order - you get it. The current production plan - shows the factory making more GLS580's in December than November - and that is bulls*t because no factory has ever produced more vehicles in December - November and May are the two peak production month's.

We have member's who are thinking about 580's who haven't talked to a dealer yet at all - that think they will be able to walk-in/email-in/call-in to their dealer and order a GLS580 for delivery before Christmas - and I just want to get the point across - that ain't going to happen that way for those people.

Just looking to help ... received 6 2020 GLS450's Friday - and I had sold and delivered 3 of those before lunch - THAT'S how strong the new 2020 GLS is - awesome !
Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I just want member's to know up front that GLS580's for this year will be very/very tight - initial production is currently scheduled for 2nd week November - so we will see.

For those member's who have been working with their dealers and have a 580 on order - you get it. The current production plan - shows the factory making more GLS580's in December than November - and that is bulls*t because no factory has ever produced more vehicles in December - November and May are the two peak production month's.

We have member's who are thinking about 580's who haven't talked to a dealer yet at all - that think they will be able to walk-in/email-in/call-in to their dealer and order a GLS580 for delivery before Christmas - and I just want to get the point across - that ain't going to happen that way for those people.

Just looking to help ... received 6 2020 GLS450's Friday - and I had sold and delivered 3 of those before lunch - THAT'S how strong the new 2020 GLS is - awesome !
Our dealer said they didn't have any MF/residuals available on the MY20 yet. Can't imagine that with early deliveries taking place. Do you have that info? Including of how the GLS580 MF is different than the 450's?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Will these 580 be moving at MSRP or is there any discount that can be expected?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
[QUOTE=fabbrisd1;7859992Just looking to help ... received 6 2020 GLS450's Friday - and I had sold and delivered 3 of those before lunch - THAT'S how strong the new 2020 GLS is - awesome ![/QUOTE]

Are you able to share if those 3 that sold were MSRP or were any discounts involved? Were they pretty base GLS450's or pretty loaded up? The few dealers I can find listings for all have them in the mid to upper $70k range which is pretty basic.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by thenew3
Are you able to share if those 3 that sold were MSRP or were any discounts involved? Were they pretty base GLS450's or pretty loaded up? The few dealers I can find listings for all have them in the mid to upper $70k range which is pretty basic.

Those GLS450 in the mid $70 are called Market Introduction. Factory specs cars.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Merc one day I hope
My local dealers are both saying they expect to get GLS's in tomorrow or Thu ... hoping to go and see one first hand finally!
The following users liked this post:
Pachole (09-24-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by sam9187
Will these 580 be moving at MSRP or is there any discount that can be expected?
There will be a lot fewer 580's available, don't expect a discount.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by univ0298
My local dealers are both saying they expect to get GLS's in tomorrow or Thu ... hoping to go and see one first hand finally!
I got a call from my local dealer this afternoon. They just received their first batch of two GLS450s. I'm scheduled to go test drive (and hopefully order one) this Saturday afternoon.
Hoping they will budge from MSRP.
I asked the sales woman about the 580, she said they won't have any of those until the end of the year, and their allocations are all spoken for until next year. But they do have 450 allocations available.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Merc one day I hope
Seen one finally!

My dealer got a few in today. One for delivery to a customer, some others going on show soon. He was kind enough to let me come and see it before service or detail even touched it.

first impressions - so similar to a GLE but bigger. Not massively different looking from current GLS on the exterior. A really nice vehicle all round

Old 09-27-2019, 12:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 MB GLS 450
My dealer in Alabama has two in stock including the factory demo. I drove that car today. Very stripped down. But the EQ Boost in sport mode was quite impressive. The new voice activated system (already out in the GLE of course) is amazing. I was very surprised at the accuracy and speed of the “hey Mercedes” requests. Obviously I’m new to Mercedes. The GLS that I will receive soon will be my first. I’m quite excited about it.

In in my area they are not budging from MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
ksalno (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Range Rover V8
I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and checked out a barebones 450 they just got on the lot, have to say I am a bit disappointed. The black plastic trims on the exterior really made the vehicle look cheap. Also inside the are way too much hard touch plastics, like the huge lower door panel, lower dash, and middle part of the door panel behind the handle bar. I thin the interior trim pieces will be the same plastics even for the 580 unless you get an option package, Very disappointing for a $100k starting price vehicle.
Old 09-27-2019, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E220d T
Originally Posted by swenzi
I stopped by a local dealer yesterday and checked out a barebones 450 they just got on the lot, have to say I am a bit disappointed. The black plastic trims on the exterior really made the vehicle look cheap. Also inside the are way too much hard touch plastics, like the huge lower door panel, lower dash, and middle part of the door panel behind the handle bar. I thin the interior trim pieces will be the same plastics even for the 580 unless you get an option package, Very disappointing for a $100k starting price vehicle.
I think its s really terrible decision made by MB to have hard plastic in this car. Even my basic E220d -18 have soft touch everywhere! Even in the side of the bottle storage in the doors.

Maybe it’s because it’s a suv it needs to hold better in rough conditions and ware...

How was the x166 and how is it with the new GLE?

It’s awesome that you guys get to see the car and soon test drive it! Here in Sweden we maybe get the price and open order books for the 580 in October and the first diesel GLS get here some time in November...
Old 09-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Driving a GLS450 today makes me wonder what our next steps are.

Quick feedback from our test drive.
The car drove well and is technically day/night from the prior gen. GLS. The air suspension performed well as did the engine. Power was sufficient and the car drove well although the engine was a bit noisy when you step on it. Overall the car is technically very modern and does look much better than the old one in non-AMG trim, partially due to the 21" triple spoke rims which remind me of the old CLS/S63 AMG rims of days past.

The seats are more comfortable than expected. The car drives much better than the X7 in terms of stability/suspension. Overall I really like the exterior design, ideally in the AMG package trim but personally I think it does look better is some colors than in others. For example, Iridium Silver looks a bit bland and makes the plastic wheel arches of the GLS450 stand out more.

My main issue with the car is that it lacks any real luxury feel in the flesh. The MB-Tex turned out to actually look better than the leather interior as Mercedes is using come kind of strong, big pattern texture leather that doesn't match the rest of the MB-Tex that is used on all other surfaces. So there is a mismatch between panels, handles, console and seats

The only Nappa option will come early next year and is only the base Nappa. No special stitching or diamond patterns, just plain black with gray. Even when selecting that leather, lot of interior pieces will remain plain plastic (lower door panels, seat side panels). The dashboard leather is an option and it also appears to cover the lower dash (as I was told).

Trim: Unlike the Natural Walnut, the Natural Gray Oak looks quite fake to my eye even though it is actual wood veneer. It just doesn't strike me as good looking but at least it covers the center console pieces. This is not the case when ordering the Glossy Linden wood where the center console is just black plastic a la C-Class.

While all of these maybe launch issues, we do have a need for a SUV this winter and the GLS580 may not be here in time and even if, the interior still feels sub-standard for its price-range IMO. Nappa should be the standard leather as in the X7 with some exclusive Nappa and/or Designo option as upgrades. At least for the 580. Same with the trim. There are minimal choice at this time.

Am frustrated as the new GLS is a better car than the X7, yet I really am disappointed with the interior. We always get our cars with upgraded interiors so this is a forced step down.

For comparison, here is a X7 40i which I could grab, priced in the mid eighties...

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,183 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
GLS interiors

Originally Posted by Wolfman
The car drove well and is technically day/night from the prior gen. GLS. The air suspension performed well as did the engine. Power was sufficient and the car drove well although the engine was noisy when you step on it. Overall the car is technically very modern and looks much better than the old one in non-AMG trim, partially due to the 21" triple spoke rims which remind me of the old CLS/S 63 AMG rims of days past.

The seats are more comfortable than expected. Car drives much better than the X7. Overall I really like the exterior design, ideally in the AMG package trim but I think it looks better is some colors than others. Silver is very practical in the wintertime (here in MN) but it just looks a bit bland.

As many already complained the non AMG wheel arches look cheap and are not really paintable. My main issue is that the interior is technically sound but lacks any real luxury feel. Looking at a couple of cars I was shocked to see that MB-Tex actually looked better than the leather which has some kind of big pattern texture on it (maybe fake Buffalo skin). In short, the leather looked like crap as everything else is MB-Tex in the car which has a finer texture and doesn't match the seats.

The only Nappa option will come early next year and is only the base Nappa. No special stitching or diamond patterns, just plain black with gray. Even when selecting that leather, lot of interior pieces will remain plain plastic (lower door panels, seat side panels). The dashboard leather is an option but also appears to cover the lower dash (as I was told).

Unlike the natural Walnut, the Natural Gray Oak looks quite fake to my eye even though it is a wood veneer. Just doesn't strike me as good looking but at least it covers Center console. This is not the case when ordering the Glossy Linden wood where the center console is back plastic a la C-Class.

Nappa should be standard as in the X7 with some exclusive Nappa and/or Designo option. Same with the trim. Minimal choice here.
Am frustrated as the new GLS is a better car than the X7, I really am disappointed with the interior. We always get our cars with upgraded interiors.
I totally agree that the GLS, and the GLE for that matter, have uninspiring interior choices. Where is a saddle tan leather, or any "color" for that matter? Upholstery patterns are bland. The trims are not much better.

I don't buy into the concept that just because the GLS is the largest SUV it needs to have the luxury options standard. The need for a certain vehicle size does not directly relate to luxury. The GLS is really just a larger GLE, not an S-Class. I think a version that comes with more luxury options standard should be offered, and maybe it will at some point. Vance has been struggling with just the base product production and now the GLB is coming on. I expect more interior options will be offered, but if you need a vehicle now that doesn't help.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
I totally agree that the GLS, and the GLE for that matter, have uninspiring interior choices. Where is a saddle tan leather, or any "color" for that matter? Upholstery patterns are bland. The trims are not much better.

I don't buy into the concept that just because the GLS is the largest SUV it needs to have the luxury options standard. The need for a certain vehicle size does not directly relate to luxury. The GLS is really just a larger GLE, not an S-Class. I think a version that comes with more luxury options standard should be offered, and maybe it will at some point. Vance has been struggling with just the base product production and now the GLB is coming on. I expect more interior options will be offered, but if you need a vehicle now that doesn't help.
Fully agree that size doesn't have anything to do with luxury except that Mercedes specially brands the GLS as the S-Class of SUV's. One could also expect a bit more from a $100k car to have a little more luxury. After all the GLS580 is well in S-Class price territory.
When it comes to personalization, the G-Wagon is ideal. Lots of choices. Unfortunately I need the utility of more space.

Also, BMW should not be able to beat Mercedes in luxury

Last edited by Wolfman; 09-27-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2020 S 560 4 Matic
I also test drove the new GLS and an S Class back to back. There is a night and day difference. The S Class is way smoother, quieter, and way more luxurious. The new GLS has the exact same seats as the GLE, feels like a GLE too, just a bit bigger. The tester had 22” tires and they were a bit thumpy over some rough pavement. The S Class glided over them. There was a noticeable difference in ride quality between the older GL and ML, not so much with the new GLS and GLE.
I thought the X7 had a better ride than the GLS. Nicer interior too. I guess I am an old fart and found the user interface a bit confusing. The salesman said to just use HEY MERCEDES. We tried to turn on the heated seats by voice command and it was perfect. Then we tried to activate the vented seats with HEY MERCEDES, no go. I’ll pass.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:57 AM

Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
I have my heart set on a 2020 GLS 63, so I sure hope this is all better by then. I will require Exclusive Napa leather and very few plastic trim pieces. It sure better feel like an S class inside, or Mercedes’ marketing department is going to have to do some explaining.

For the rest of you, you should probably wait until the Maybach GLS comes out next year.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jbattan
I have my heart set on a 2020 GLS 63, so I sure hope this is all better by then. I will require Exclusive Napa leather and very few plastic trim pieces. It sure better feel like an S class inside, or Mercedes’ marketing department is going to have to do some explaining.

For the rest of you, you should probably wait until the Maybach GLS comes out next year.

SUV's are popular and many must like them. I am not one of them. I like the utility when needing to transport large items, etc. but in general find sedans and convertibles much more attractive. As such, I couldn't imagine dropping over $200k on such a vehicle. Cannot get emotional about any of these.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GL 450
Originally Posted by Canadian guy
Where are all you guys? You mean to tell me I'm the first guy to take delivery on one? Up here in desolate Canada... Drives great, huuuge upgrade over our 2018 gls450, in all aspects. 325s in rear look mean.
Beautiful color....I ordered the same after deciding cardinal red or lunar blue we’re too risky. However, it sucks that these wheels are not available in the US. The largest wheels available for the 450 are 21”. 😡
Old 09-29-2019, 03:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
E220d T
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon

It would be really nice if someone could take some pictures of the plastic on the doors and so on. I am a bit concerned about this issue...

Thx in advance!
Old 10-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I keep on looking at the cars but keep forgetting to take some pics of the hard plastic. I did look at a GLS450 with Expresso brown leather interior just to make sure that the leather matches what is in the GLE's. Here is a pic.
My concern is the mismatch of the leather and MB-Tex pattern and the overall quality of fit/stitching. This was a $92k car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2020 GLS X167 News