GLS450 without the panoramic sunroof,

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS450, GLE450
GLS450 without the panoramic sunroof,

Hi,

I have finally found the GLS450 with all the options, but the panoramic sunroof. Since the vehicle is out of State, I can’t see it in-person. I was wondering if folks here have bought a GLS450 without the panoramic sunroof and regretted it?

The GLS450 i am considering is pretty loaded with options and it is hard to find one in stock with the color/options I want.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Merc one day I hope
In the “what builds did you get” thread someone commented that they felt theirs was horrible and cheap without the pano roof!

i don’t own a GLS yet but personally I wouldn’t consider buying this car without that roof as it’s an amazing roof and only $1K.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CAR
Humm, I was faced with exactly the same dilemma. I wonder if we are talking about the same car! It seems most dealers have cars on the lot without many options, so I was so thrilled when I found a 98% match, even the exterior color was my 1st choice and interior was my 2nd choice colors. But then there was the sunroof...... sigh. I initially thought it might be ok.....but went to a local dealership and sat in a car with the standard sunroof. Personally I absolutely did not care for it. Yesterday I test drove a car with the panoramic sunroof....wow, it was huge and made the car feel open and spacious. Getting the car without the panoramic sunroof would've been a huge concession for me, and spending all the money on this beautiful and expensive car without getting what you feel are essential options, just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I even called the dealer to confirm the sunroof and was told it was a special order that the original buyers opted for something else and it indeed had the standard sunroof. I passed on it.....just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC43
We ended up purchasing a car without a sunroof. It was the only option that didn’t make the list. The pano was an option I wasn’t willing to sacrifice at first, but in the end it was up to my wife as it’s her daily and she didn’t care for the pano roof. Her argument was in her GLC43 she never even used the pano roof, and my current car I don’t use the pano roof either. We’ve been using the GLS for a week with the kids and haven’t missed it and it certainly doesn’t feel cheap without it.
The following 2 users liked this post by aorbeta:
declo2000 (12-30-2019), wyatt88 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:49 AM

GLS450, GLE450
I have not had a SUV without a panoramic sunroof that I can remember. Even my wife's QX60 has dual sunroof. I will admit that in my RRS, I have only opened the sunroof two to three times in the last 3+ years of ownership, however the the key thing about the panoramic roof is that it lets enough light in. The shade under the sliding glass is made of porous material which lets enough light to give the illusion of bright and spacious cabin.

My wife is adamant about getting the panoramic roof as the entire interior of the car is black - seats, dash, roof, etc. Perhaps, if it was the macchiato color, I can see the panoramic roof being optional. I am surprised for $90+k vehicle, the dealer or the person who ordered it, did not want the panoramic roof!

I will have to custom order one as no dealer in TX or nearby States have the configuration I want. I was really looking forward to starting the new year with a new family car.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
I have a 2015 GL450 without the Panoramic Roof. My kids often ask that I keep the sunshade closed because of glare. Often my wife prefers it that way as well. If I had the Pano Roof, the shade would likely be fully closed most of the time unless I were in the car alone. I'm not sure if it is possible to just have the shade open over the front seat. If it can't be partially open, I would probably never have glass over my head.

Even with the shade closed, I think the Pano Roof lets in more sunlight, heat and noise compared to the standard roof.
The following users liked this post:
wyatt88 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by sunnyvali
Perhaps, if it was the macchiato color, I can see the panoramic roof being optional.
So we do have the macchiato beige interior and that’s probably a good reason why the panoramic roof doesn’t seem that necessary for us as it’s certainly bright and airy inside
Old 12-29-2019, 11:07 AM

GLS450, GLE450
Originally Posted by aorbeta
So we do have the macchiato beige interior and that’s probably a good reason why the panoramic roof doesn’t seem that necessary for us as it’s certainly bright and airy inside
I have seen one with macchiato beige interior, without the panoramic sunroof and it looked fine to me. However, all dark interior will keep the cabin dark. I feel that I can easily wait a few months and order the way I like it.
CALLA (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:54 PM

CAR
I have seen one with macchiato beige interior, without the panoramic sunroof and it looked fine to me. However, all dark interior will keep the cabin dark. I feel that I can easily wait a few months and order the way I like it.

That was my thinking too....I'll order it and wait a few months and now I can get the options I want and not pay for things that I don't want.

Last edited by CALLA; 12-29-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:45 PM

GLS450, GLE450
When we custom order a GLS450, does one get any discounts? One of the dealers I asked and he said no discounts available as it is a custom order. Then again, he is trying to sell me the one he has on his lot with $4k discount. Just does not have the options I would like.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:36 PM

2020 GLS 450
Mine has the sunroof. I don't know if it is a pano or not. I never have opened any of my sunroofs, and the screens only occasionally. I forget it's even up there.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:09 PM

GLS450, GLE450
I am not sure how often anyone opens the moonroof, as I hardly ever do. It is just the light it lets through to the rear cabin that I like the pano sunroof for. Otherwise, the sunroofs are known to add to road noise and sometimes rattle as well.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:07 AM

2020 GLS 450
Looked at online photos of Mercedes pano roof. Mine does not have it and I don't think I would want it. It's just too big for me.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:06 AM
skw

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
2019 GLS450
When we custom order a GLS450, does one get any discounts? One of the dealers I asked and he said no discounts available as it is a custom order. Then again, he is trying to sell me the one he has on his lot with $4k discount. Just does not have the options I would like.
Find a new dealer. You most certainly can get a discount on a custom ordered vehicle.
CALLA (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Be prepared to wait up to 8-10 months if ordering. You are best to get one in stock if you need it in a few months.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:25 AM

CAR
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
Be prepared to wait up to 8-10 months if ordering. You are best to get one in stock if you need it in a few months.
Yikes! I hope this is not the case!
Old 12-30-2019, 11:27 AM

CAR
I custom ordered mine and did get a discount. Look for another dealership.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:32 AM

GLS450, GLE450
I have found one dealer who has allocation and can still customize it. His is confirming all that and I am hoping there is still time left to customize it and have it delivered by March/April.

what I am finding in my search of the GLS450 on the dealer lots, with the options I want is that they jump up to about $93K. If I get just the options I want, I can build one for $89k to $90k. With dealer in the northern Dallas area not willing to discount on a custom order, I want to stay in the $89k range.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 MB GLS 450
I bought one from my local dealer- needed a car and he found something close to my specs. However, no pano sunroof. Here is my 2 cents: I'm in Alabama so I rarely if ever open the sunroof. But the pano makes a HUGE difference in ceiling height and overall appearance to the car (to me, that is). The standard sunroof is so small its a joke on a 2020 vehicle. I would NEVER order one without that feature. The interior of the car just seems very blah without that roof opening. At the end of the day it still drives the same and everybody sits just as comfortable- but I think it makes the interior less pleasant to be in...
GregW / Oregon (01-29-2020)