GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Can't wait any longer....so what is my 2nd choice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 09:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CAR
Can't wait any longer....so what is my 2nd choice?

So this past weekend our family of 5, plus dog, wanted to take a local road trip together. But since our current vehicles are small and can't accommodate 5 people plus dog, I stayed home. I don't want to squander the summer not doing things because of car space. My daughter is military and currently (unexpectedly) at home, and my son is a HS graduate heading to college in the fall and my youngest child is a HS junior and a travel athlete. This summer is an unexpected gift of time together that noone ever expected and may not come again. So since waiting since Dec, 19 for my 2020 GLS (1st time Mercedes or any fancy brand), I am now at my wits end. Car was supposed to be delivered in March...April....June....July...now September. I just cant wait any longer for something that may eventually take place. My dealer has been patient, but is now saying it's possible the car could come as a 2021. So it's really still all up in the air.

So looking for thoughts, suggestions...anything to distract me from my sadness and frustration.

Last edited by CALLA; 07-01-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2024 GLS 450
I've been impressed by the Lincoln Navigator and Lincoln Aviator, although the GLS seems to fit between the two in size. The Honda Pilot has nearly as much room, but its interior is much more utilitarian. Pilots keep their value so well you could probably get one and trade it in for a GLS later and not be too hurt. The Kia Telluride gets great reviews, but a loaded one is hard to find and shockingly commands MSRP.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
BMW X7
Kia/Hyundai Palisade/Telluride
Genesis GV80 but it’s a wait

The usual Ford and GM choices - Expedition, Yukon
Old 07-01-2020, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Stephen513 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
BMW X7 hands down, IMO better much better lookin than new gen GLS. Im sure you can find one in stock that will fit your needs.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Highlander, audi q6
Same boat as you

I was in the same place as you and decided to cancel my order on June 7. We had a GLE on order since last October and it wasn’t yet built and I was told August at best. I spent the month looking at new cars and it came down to the Audi q7 and Lincoln Aviator. We decided on the Aviator and took delivery of it yesterday. It is a great family car for us (teenagers who play sports) and we are happy with the choice.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 Ford Expedition EL, 2019 Tesla Model 3 LR
I would look at the 21 escalade or a 20-21 expedition platinum.

Both will comfortably seat 5 adults and room in the back for gear and dog.

Maybe check out the big range rover too. It has great 2nd row leg room.

The aviator is just a ford explorer and thought it was small for adult passengers. When I looked at the bmw, audi and aviator, I set the driver seat for me and then climb in the second row. It is amazing how little leg room there is in most of the vehicles.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:23 PM

CAR
Thank you all for your thoughts...keep them coming. I did research alot of other cars before deciding on the GLS. I liked the GLS because of the right mix of a powerful engine in a 6 cyl ( not looking for an 8 cyl because of gas consumption), a comfortable 3rd row (and 2nd row) and lots of new and cool tech. The BMW x7 looked nicer, I'd agree, but I really didnt think it drove nicer and the turning radius was just so awful. I loved the Lincoln Aviator and was sure it was my next car until I sat in the 3rd row. Way too cramped and uncomfortable. I preferred the Hyundai Palisade over the Kia Telluride, but both of them have a lack of horsepower and I hate the feeling I'm shoving the car when I'm asking for more power. I drove the Subaru Ascent (4 cyl, even a turbo, no power), Buick Enclave, Volvo XC90, Ford Explorer, Hoda Pilot and Dodge Durango were way too small. I really didnt want a Tahoe/Expedition/Navigator/Escalade...too high, requires running boards or step ladder to get in and out. I'm fearing I may be back to a minivan, which is what I had (Chrysler Pacifica) until the lease ended in January...yup, 6 months ago.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
2011 GL 350, P1 Package, HID headlamps, Blind spot assist, Parktronic, Wood steering wheel
Originally Posted by CALLA
Thank you all for your thoughts...keep them coming. I did research alot of other cars before deciding on the GLS. I liked the GLS because of the right mix of a powerful engine in a 6 cyl ( not looking for an 8 cyl because of gas consumption), a comfortable 3rd row (and 2nd row) and lots of new and cool tech. The BMW x7 looked nicer, I'd agree, but I really didnt think it drove nicer and the turning radius was just so awful. I loved the Lincoln Aviator and was sure it was my next car until I sat in the 3rd row. Way too cramped and uncomfortable. I preferred the Hyundai Palisade over the Kia Telluride, but both of them have a lack of horsepower and I hate the feeling I'm shoving the car when I'm asking for more power. I drove the Subaru Ascent (4 cyl, even a turbo, no power), Buick Enclave, Volvo XC90, Ford Explorer, Hoda Pilot and Dodge Durango were way too small. I really didnt want a Tahoe/Expedition/Navigator/Escalade...too high, requires running boards or step ladder to get in and out. I'm fearing I may be back to a minivan, which is what I had (Chrysler Pacifica) until the lease ended in January...yup, 6 months ago.
Can I ask what was in your build? Are you not able to get close to what you want with dealer inventory anywhere?
Old 07-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
Hard to wait for a car you spent a lot of time and effort on ordering. Seems like you really want the GLS, my favorite as well.

Would you consider renting an SUV for your family weekend trips? Rental rates must be pretty good now as air travel is way down. Hertz filed for bankruptcy.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:24 PM

CAR
I'm thinking of maybe trying to buy something and maybe trade it in when my GLS arrives?
My MB dealer said Netstar still doesnt show a VIN yet, but the production date has changed from a decade to a specific date, which reads as 08-09-2020. He said that's a good sign and the car should be produced on Aug 8, so hopefully it arrives to the dealership in early September.

My build has 5 zone climate control, 3rd row heated seats, captains chairs, sport brakes, acoustic glass pkg, air balance and a few other things. Plus NO running boards, as I find them to be a hazard, personally. So my build is custom to what I want, but also to what I dont want. It's the running boards that makes it so hard to find a replacement car.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 471 Likes on 348 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Yeah, I would I suggest renting an SUV or minivan for the times you need/want one until you get your MB. You sound pretty dead set on a GLS, the one you ordered specifically. Can’t think of any other vehicles that you didn’t mention already looking at. And you’re right, an u fortunate number of unstick cars have the rubbing boards, a feature I would also avoid.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:01 AM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Just buy a CPO GLS63 for $70K. It’s taken the big depreciation hit for you. Then sell it when your new one comes in.

Last edited by jbattan; 07-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Originally Posted by CALLA
I'm thinking of maybe trying to buy something and maybe trade it in when my GLS arrives?
My MB dealer said Netstar still doesnt show a VIN yet, but the production date has changed from a decade to a specific date, which reads as 08-09-2020. He said that's a good sign and the car should be produced on Aug 8, so hopefully it arrives to the dealership in early September.

My build has 5 zone climate control, 3rd row heated seats, captains chairs, sport brakes, acoustic glass pkg, air balance and a few other things. Plus NO running boards, as I find them to be a hazard, personally. So my build is custom to what I want, but also to what I dont want. It's the running boards that makes it so hard to find a replacement car.
Will that be a 21 or 20? 450 or 580?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:44 PM

CAR
As it stands now it is to be a 2020.

It is a 450, as the 580 has the 8 cyl engine (which I don't want) and the running boards (also don't want) are standard.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
If you are determined to buy a vehicle and then trade it when the GLS arrives, it seems a Japanese made car like a Lexus, Honda, Toyota would have the lowest depreciation in the first year if that is a concern. Probably the Palisade as well will have low depreciation in the first year compared to any US or European made vehicles. Let us know what you decide to do. Lots and lots of choices out there.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
I feel your pain, I had GLS on order for nearly a year at two different dealers. Was supposed to take deliver December of last year, but it kept getting pushed back with no update. Finally in February I decided to order an X7. At the time it was supposed to be built end of March and delivered in April, unfortunately the BMW factory closed 2 days before my car was supposed to get built. But even with the factory closure, my X7 was delivered in early June. Finally last week, one of the MB dealers called and said my GLS came in. I told them it was too late.

Been driving the X7 for almost 3 weeks now, it drives better than the (multiple) GLS's I test drove and the quality of the interior materials of the X7 are better than the GLS. I was able to get a better equipped X7 for less $ than the GLS(s) I had on order. 10% off MSRP seems to be relatively easy to achieve on an X7 and there are some decent selections on dealer lots.

I would highly recommend you take a look at X7 if you can't wait for a GLS order to arrive.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by thenew3
I feel your pain, I had GLS on order for nearly a year at two different dealers. Was supposed to take deliver December of last year, but it kept getting pushed back with no update. Finally in February I decided to order an X7. At the time it was supposed to be built end of March and delivered in April, unfortunately the BMW factory closed 2 days before my car was supposed to get built. But even with the factory closure, my X7 was delivered in early June. Finally last week, one of the MB dealers called and said my GLS came in. I told them it was too late.

Been driving the X7 for almost 3 weeks now, it drives better than the (multiple) GLS's I test drove and the quality of the interior materials of the X7 are better than the GLS. I was able to get a better equipped X7 for less $ than the GLS(s) I had on order. 10% off MSRP seems to be relatively easy to achieve on an X7 and there are some decent selections on dealer lots.

I would highly recommend you take a look at X7 if you can't wait for a GLS order to arrive.
100% X7 much better drive than GLS and better materials inside.