GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

The Quirks and Details of the 2020 GLS 580 (&450)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
The Quirks and Details of the 2020 GLS 580 (&450)

After spending one week with my 580 I wanted to share my opinions and some details that don't get a lot of press. This is not a full review but just some random thoughts that hopefully can inform someone. For reference I am coming from the original 2007 GL450.

First for anyone taking delivery make sure you get all the accessories you are due: Cargo Cover, TWO usb-c adaptor cables, spare tire with tools, floor mats, manual with leather wallet, first aid kit, microfiber cleaning cloth. With the Executive Rear Seats you'll get a Samsung Android tablet and two headrest pillows. With Air Balance you'll get a fragrance vial. You can also ask them to throw in things like rubber floor mats and cargo net. Don't forget to get the dealer to activate Mercedes Me and your services should include 3 years Mercedes Me, 1 year Concierge and 6 months Sirius XM.

I feel like this car has the perfect combination of physical buttons and screen controls. It's too bad the next version of MBUX is going to completely ruin that. A touchscreen is not something you should be operating while driving. And voice controls can't always be relied on. I've already turned off "Hey Mercedes" because it activated a few times on its own. Plus using voice takes way too long for something as vital as windshield wipers.

And I still don't understand why they haven't gotten rid of these ugly seat controls on the doors. That should have been the FIRST thing to integrate into the infotainment system. I only need to adjust my seats one time. And in fact the Lumbar controls are only in MBUX so now you have to go to 2 different places to make all your seat adjustments which is really dumb. And the rear seats have both button and screen controls for seats. Inconsistent design like this really bugs me.

I like the overall design. From some angles it looks smaller and more aggressive than my older car even though it is supposed to be bigger on the inside and out.

Since they haven't enabled the internal Dashcam function yet I am using my own. So I wish there was still a 12v plug in the passenger footwell instead of having to keep my stowage compartment open all the time. And speaking of that the button for the cooled/heated cupholder is not visible from a normal position so you can't tell what setting it is on without having to lean forward.

Panorama roof is a must have option. I had a 450 loaner without it and the difference is literally night and day. It makes it feel almost like a convertible for both front and back seats.

The brake hold function is harder to use than other cars. Normally there is a physical button that you have to enable each time you start the car and then the car automatically holds each time you stop. But in Mercedes you have to wait for the car to completely stop and then press the brake down hard to engage it. Sometimes it doesn't work and I have to keep pressing and sometimes I am not completely stopped and it doesn't engage. Plus it also triggers the auto start. Really annoying overall.

The thumb controls on the steering wheel are very finicky too. When I go side to side it ends up going up and down. Sometimes I have to do it 5 times for it to work.

When playing FM or Sirius radio it does not show the track name in the dash or HUD. It only shows the station name which is not particularly helpful.

I never realized how much space there was in the spare tire compartment. I was able to fit all of my emergency supplies and accessories down there leaving my trunk completely empty.

I wish it had remote start on the keyfob like other cars rather than in an app. There is a whole thread on engine starting woes.

It took me a week to realize there is no CD/DVD drive. No big loss then. Still it would be nice to have an option for it like the S-class

YOU CANNOT COPY MUSIC TO THE INTERNAL STORAGE. If you want to listen to your own music you have to keep a USB stick plugged in at all times.

Last edited by darlop; 08-05-2020 at 01:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wyatt88 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,453 Likes on 959 Posts
No more MB:(
really nice looking. liking the red. fresh look after countless versions of grey. you won't get tired of looking at it.
The following users liked this post:
kiwioz (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 02:43 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
Originally Posted by places
really nice looking. liking the red. fresh look after countless versions of grey. you won't get tired of looking at it.
Tell me about it. My last 3 cars were grey and my wife's is white. It was definitely time for some color. And the Night package really looks great with red.
The following 2 users liked this post by darlop:
iridium18 (08-03-2020), places (08-03-2020)