GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

GLS 450 - very hot hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLS 450
GLS 450 - very hot hood

Hi all, finally i picked up my GLS today and overall i am liking it but what i am noticing is that even just after a 15 min drive the entire hood and engine is getting very hot. Its been several hours after i drove for about 45 mins, and my entire garage is like a warm place and you can feel the heat around the hood area.

is this normal and have you guys noticed similar issue? I also had water dripping underneath the car and dealer told me that must be from the AC.

should i be worried for these issues? Also like the other thread on Air fragrance, we cannot notice anything inside the cabin, even if kept at the highest setting.

appreciate inputs...

thanks
Old 08-08-2020, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,454 Likes on 960 Posts
No more MB:(
It's a dud, take it to the dealer. Water is likely from the AC, perfectly fine. Can't speak to the heat, probably normal. There was another thread recently with complaints regarding the air fragrance, it's a known issue.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 AM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
Obviously the hood will get hot and it will heat up a closed garage. It's hard for us to judge anything just based on your post. If you think it's excessive then have the dealer take a look at it.

Condensation dripping is normal for an AC. If you are sure it's water then it's probably nothing to worry about.

If you don't get any fragrance on the highest setting then something is definitely wrong.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:31 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350, 2020 GLS450
Heat from the engine bay on all my cars always radiate heat and the GLS is no different. My garage also stays very warm after the cars goes back in. I know the GLS have some sort of insulation piece on the underside of the hood so that might also contribute to keeping the heat within the engine bay for longer. Compared to other cars I've seen the engine bay in general is a lot more wrapped/insulated on the GLS.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by mb_can
Hi all, finally i picked up my GLS today and overall i am liking it but what i am noticing is that even just after a 15 min drive the entire hood and engine is getting very hot. Its been several hours after i drove for about 45 mins, and my entire garage is like a warm place and you can feel the heat around the hood area.

is this normal and have you guys noticed similar issue? I also had water dripping underneath the car and dealer told me that must be from the AC.

should i be worried for these issues? Also like the other thread on Air fragrance, we cannot notice anything inside the cabin, even if kept at the highest setting.

appreciate inputs...

thanks
Check your gauges and if the temps are in the normal range don't worry about it. Dripping from the AC is normal.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Awaiting a 2021 GLS580
It’s worth noting that the GLS450 (MY2020+)includes one of mercedes newest engines (i.e., M256) and the newer engines tend to run hotter for fuel/power efficiency reasons. I remember being surprised back in college learning that engines are more efficient when they run hotter due to the Carnot Theory of thermodynamics. It’s the opposite in computers, where I spend most of my time.

MERCEDES ENGINE IN GLS450(2020+) = M256 E30 DEH GA GR. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merc...nz_M256_engine

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carn...hermodynamics)

Last edited by joejones81; 08-09-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:56 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Is this your first car by chance?

GL to ya!
The following users liked this post:
places (08-09-2020)
Old 09-05-2022, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes GLS
Did the dealer provide any additional information around why the engine was too hot?

Now that it has been 2 years, how is your vehicle performance? Does it still over heat?

I got my GLS 450 this week and noticed the exact same thing regarding the hood overheating.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by mb_can

appreciate inputs...

thanks
Old 09-08-2022, 09:37 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 GLS 450 SUV / 2020 BMW X5 X40I
Originally Posted by JJ_S
Did the dealer provide any additional information around why the engine was too hot?

Now that it has been 2 years, how is your vehicle performance? Does it still over heat?

I got my GLS 450 this week and noticed the exact same thing regarding the hood overheating.

Thank you.

the fragrance that comes with it has always been very muted and not strong at all. You can open the lid of it dump it out and put in any essential oil you want. That is what I have done and works great.