What driving mode do you like the best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 405 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
What driving mode do you like the best?

The GLS has several driving dynamic modes. Sport, comfort, eco, off road, individual, etc. Which one do you like the best for yours?

What we've found is eco is our favorite. Seems to make it ultra smooth in city traffic as it never kicks down to 1st gear. Coming to a stop is 99% smoother. The GLS (and the GLE I understand with the same engine) has a funky way of coming to a stop. Lots of things going on in the system and there can be a little bit of a hiccup as it rolls down the gears when you do a smooth slow stop. Eco mode on ours, takes that out of the equation. I think it's the 1st gear that makes it hiccup sometimes, or managing the on/off timing, not really sure, but eco definitely eliminates it. It's not bad in general, but can be a little annoying sometimes. We've also found that with the electric influence in the whole driveline via the 48v setup, performance to get up to speed isn't really a thing at all. That electric influence is great! This is the first car we've owned where "eco mode" is actually quite decent and not annoying.
The following users liked this post:
wolds (11-15-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 06:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 Chevy SS, 2018 GLA250, 2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by nc211
The GLS has several driving dynamic modes. Sport, comfort, eco, off road, individual, etc. Which one do you like the best for yours?

What we've found is eco is our favorite. Seems to make it ultra smooth in city traffic as it never kicks down to 1st gear. Coming to a stop is 99% smoother. The GLS (and the GLE I understand with the same engine) has a funky way of coming to a stop. Lots of things going on in the system and there can be a little bit of a hiccup as it rolls down the gears when you do a smooth slow stop. Eco mode on ours, takes that out of the equation. I think it's the 1st gear that makes it hiccup sometimes, or managing the on/off timing, not really sure, but eco definitely eliminates it. It's not bad in general, but can be a little annoying sometimes. We've also found that with the electric influence in the whole driveline via the 48v setup, performance to get up to speed isn't really a thing at all. That electric influence is great! This is the first car we've owned where "eco mode" is actually quite decent and not annoying.
Agree completely on eco mode not being crap like all other cars I've experienced. In terms of smoothness, eco mode basically frequently disconnects the drivetrain from the wheels, which is why it feels so smooth in terms of slowing down through the gears.

I haven't tried off road mode and likely will never have a need. My favorite between the remaining 3 is sport, so that's usually where I'm at unless my son is sleeping. I like to think he likes to listen to the tunes of the engine otherwise. 😅 I use eco on long stretches of highway usually or when there is virtually no traffic. Otherwise I'll use comfort if I'm not in sport because I like the predictability and readiness of the vehicle to engage immediately, especially when maneuvering among south Florida drivers. To the same point, eco doesn't quite have enough power for me to say slightly edge out some jerk trying to cut me off without making it known what's happening.

As far as the 48v system overall, I'm a person who runs hot and so does my son. Sweat is often imminent. 🤣 I'm thoroughly enjoying maintaining AC during auto stop. Otherwise, I would disable it immediately and always. This is my first auto start stop vehicle, which might suggest I was never going to buy the old version of the tech.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:11 PM

Have to retract my previous statement regarding Eco mode to a certain extent. I found myself using it more about a week ago and noticed that it seems to have awoken a bit power wise and even seems to have more growl from the exhaust. A friend of mine mentioned an extended break in range that he's noticed in all of his wife's AMG cars and I think she's had more than 3-4 in the last decade. Not sure if this would apply to non AMG cars though.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 120 Posts
a
I use the Individual setting with everything on Sport except suspension on Comfort.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:47 AM

Received 130 Likes on 55 Posts
2022 S500
I know that one of the sacrifices on the “eco” mode is a reduced A/C output. The dehumidifying aspect is where this shows up in real time. Something to consider.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 405 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Eco is my favorite 90% of the time. With the 48v influence in the driveline now, needing first gear isn’t really a thing for the way I drive. The battery aspect tends to take its place and don’t have to deal with the shifting. Eco is the setting I’ve found to be the best when just puttering around.

I am finding that I’m turning off the start/stop feature more and more now though. No matter how smooth they’ve been able to make it. I just don’t like it. Just doesn’t feel natural to me.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,181 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Nonformulaic
I know that one of the sacrifices on the “eco” mode is a reduced A/C output. The dehumidifying aspect is where this shows up in real time. Something to consider.
I agree that the dehumidifying aspect an important feature of the A/C.
But, since the A/C compressor is driven by the 48v system, I haven't experienced a reduction in output. In fact "no reduction" is a feature of the 48v system is one that I appreciate.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by mikapen
I agree that the dehumidifying aspect an important feature of the A/C.
But, since the A/C compressor is driven by the 48v system, I haven't experienced a reduction in output. In fact "no reduction" is a feature of the 48v system is one that I appreciate.
I can't say I notice any reduction in performance either and I've tried Eco in southeast Florida heat during the summer.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
mine is in Individual usually.
Suspension set to Sport+ so it would squat down -2 height. but otherwise, everything else left comfort.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Curve mode. Best comfort with excellent handling. The only drawback is you can't use cruise control while its active.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Curve mode. Best comfort with excellent handling. The only drawback is you can't use cruise control while its active.
Totally agree.
If they could have enabled the autonomous lane keeping in CURVE mode, that would be my fav, outright.