GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Tire life - 20" vs 21"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 09:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLS 450
Tire life - 20" vs 21"

What type of tire life are you getting from your GLS 450? I've ordered the staggered 21"wheels and wondering what I should expect for tire life vs the standard 20'.

Last edited by Gary_D; 01-10-2021 at 10:30 AM. Reason: More descriptive title
Old 01-10-2021, 10:21 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 Chevy SS, 2018 GLA250, 2020 GLS580
Originally Posted by Gary_D
What type of tire life are you getting from your GLS 450? I've ordered the staggered 21"wheels and wondering what I should expect for tire life vs the standard 20'.
Welcome!

I suggest putting your wheel option/size in your thread title. I came in thinking I might be able to help, but I have the 23s.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 405 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
We have the staggered 21” on ours. Up to about 13,000 miles. Pirelli tires that came with the car. I’d say they’ll go about 35k-40k before thinking about replacing them. They look to be about 20% used up at this point. But I’ve had Pirelli’s before as OE tire (my GTI came with them too) and couldn’t take the noise at around 30k before switching over to Michelin, which we’ll do with the GLS I suspect too.

This is my wife’s car mostly, and our two kids - so tires are of the utmost importance to me. I won’t (and don’t) take my tires down to the wear bars. Typically once I start to get an uneasy feeling about them primarily in the rain - they get replaced. Hydroplaning scares the crap out of me, especially with a high center of gravity.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:06 AM

2021 GLS 450
Originally Posted by nc211
We have the staggered 21” on ours. Up to about 13,000 miles. Pirelli tires that came with the car. I’d say they’ll go about 35k-40k before thinking about replacing them. They look to be about 20% used up at this point. But I’ve had Pirelli’s before as OE tire (my GTI came with them too) and couldn’t take the noise at around 30k before switching over to Michelin, which we’ll do with the GLS I suspect too.

This is my wife’s car mostly, and our two kids - so tires are of the utmost importance to me. I won’t (and don’t) take my tires down to the wear bars. Typically once I start to get an uneasy feeling about them primarily in the rain - they get replaced. Hydroplaning scares the crap out of me, especially with a high center of gravity.
Do you rotate the tires left to right, or have you left them in their originally installed position? There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the value of swapping the staggered tires from one side of the car to the other to improve tire life.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Pirelli tires only spin one direction, so you can’t swap left to right. They stay where they are for life of the tire.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
The Pirelli tires only spin one direction, so you can’t swap left to right. They stay where they are for life of the tire.
Yes you can rotate directional tires side to side but you need to flip the tire on the rim first and rebalance. I do it all the time but usually only once for the life of the tire as it is not good to remove tires from the rim too often.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
Yes you can rotate directional tires side to side but you need to flip the tire on the rim first and rebalance. I do it all the time but usually only once for the life of the tire as it is not good to remove tires from the rim too often.
I agree, but figured the only thing that would address would be the outside tread, would not prevent cupping and whatnot. I think the debate on tire rotation is fueled by the creation of the stiffened sidewall, which to some support the need to no longer really worry about rotating tires. I know my mechanic on my 212 says no to rotation of the tires. They’re the oem Conti’s and appear to be doing fine. I’m not sure how I’d feel about having the tires removed from the rim to rotate, given how expensive the rims are and the fear of messing them up.

Either way, yes you can rotate as noted left to right, but not front to back. Does it matter though? Not really sure I can answer that, I don’t know. For me, I’m fine with $1,500 +/- for new tires every 30k or so for this car. Given what it is, how much it costs in general, and the enjoyment factor of it, I’m willing to live with that expense.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:26 PM

2021 GLS 450
I agree, but figured the only thing that would address would be the outside tread, would not prevent cupping and whatnot. I think the debate on tire rotation is fueled by the creation of the stiffened sidewall, which to some support the need to no longer really worry about rotating tires. I know my mechanic on my 212 says no to rotation of the tires. They’re the oem Conti’s and appear to be doing fine. I’m not sure how I’d feel about having the tires removed from the rim to rotate, given how expensive the rims are and the fear of messing them up.

Either way, yes you can rotate as noted left to right, but not front to back. Does it matter though? Not really sure I can answer that, I don’t know. For me, I’m fine with $1,500 +/- for new tires every 30k or so for this car. Given what it is, how much it costs in general, and the enjoyment factor of it, I’m willing to live with that expense.
Have you reached or look to be on track for 30k miles on a set? I think that's reasonable mileage. I've seen reports of the previous gen GLS eating up tires in less than 10k miles, and that's not cool to me. I won't take delivery on my GLS until March and was just wondering what to expect.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Tread life depends on the compound. High performance tires regardless of compound will have a shorter life since they use softer rubber. On the other hand, larger wheel sizes have shorter sidewalls which can lead to more accidental tire damage. One of the biggest improvement with Michelins high performance tires is a compound that lasts longer but its still a lot less than regular all season tires.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gary_D
Have you reached or look to be on track for 30k miles on a set? I think that's reasonable mileage. I've seen reports of the previous gen GLS eating up tires in less than 10k miles, and that's not cool to me. I won't take delivery on my GLS until March and was just wondering what to expect.
we're only at 12k miles or so, but given the condisiotn of the tires at this mileage, yes I would say we see 30k without issue.

the 21 setup is staggered with notably wide tires on the rear (325 I believe, maybe 315, whatever one it is, it's wide). I think that matters as they really help to hold the rear of the car on it's tracking. there isn't any wandering around, it's solidly planted. the fronts are narrower and take the brunt of the wear given turning. but both front and rear on ours, are doing just fine. Camber isn't crazy on these cars, and the pneumatic suspension reduces the roll factor when turning, which keeps the tires firmly planted and weight shifting is reduced a bit. It helps to maintain the tires. MB mentioned that to me as well. not sure if a sales pitch thing, but I noticed just how flat the car was going around a cloverleaf to the freeway.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
we're only at 12k miles or so, but given the condisiotn of the tires at this mileage, yes I would say we see 30k without issue.

the 21 setup is staggered with notably wide tires on the rear (325 I believe, maybe 315, whatever one it is, it's wide). I think that matters as they really help to hold the rear of the car on it's tracking. there isn't any wandering around, it's solidly planted. the fronts are narrower and take the brunt of the wear given turning. but both front and rear on ours, are doing just fine. Camber isn't crazy on these cars, and the pneumatic suspension reduces the roll factor when turning, which keeps the tires firmly planted and weight shifting is reduced a bit. It helps to maintain the tires. MB mentioned that to me as well. not sure if a sales pitch thing, but I noticed just how flat the car was going around a cloverleaf to the freeway.
A staggered set up on an AWD vehicle is strictly for show. Don't take me wrong I love how it looks. It also has the downside that it nixes front to back rotation which forces you to buy either front tires more often or swapping all 4 with healthy tread in the rear.