GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

New member 2022 GLS 450 - Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLS 450
New member 2022 GLS 450 - Engine noise

Hello all. We just picked up our 2022 GLS 450 on Friday. Drove it around for a bit and then went home and parked it in the garage. When we started it to go out again, the engine seemed to be really loud. I’ve posted just a small portion of the video because of size restriction. Before anyone suggests it, I checked that my husband wasn’t accidentally pushing on the gas. Is this normal for the GLS 450? Standing next to it, you had to yell to be heard, you couldn’t speak normally. Sent the video to our AC and brought it into the dealership. He indicated that he thought that was just the cold start up noise. He had the techs look at it and they said it wasn’t throwing any codes. I went out just a bit ago and was in a drive through and the noise started again (not a cold start) and was just as loud. This is our first Mercedes and if this is truly normal then I am a bit disappointed. I’m not wanting our luxury SUV to be the car you hear coming from blocks away!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0044.MOV (11.96 MB, 417 views)
Old 07-27-2022, 09:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,005 Likes on 3,147 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome! Please post a photo of the GLS.

I hear nothing unusual. Try posting in the X167 section of the site, which is for your vehicle. Also bring it to the dealer, you have a new car covered by factory warranty.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 644 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
welcome bring it back to the dealer
Old 07-27-2022, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 771 Likes on 750 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X167 forum...
Old 07-28-2022, 12:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
Originally Posted by Alybas
Hello all. We just picked up our 2022 GLS 450 on Friday. Drove it around fOor a bit and then went home and parked it in the garage. When we started it to go out again, the engine seemed to be really loud. I’ve posted just a small portion of the video because of size restriction. Before anyone suggests it, I checked that my husband wasn’t accidentally pushing on the gas. Is this normal for the GLS 450? Standing next to it, you had to yell to be heard, you couldn’t speak normally. Sent the video to our AC and brought it into the dealership. He indicated that he thought that was just the cold start up noise. He had the techs look at it and they said it wasn’t throwing any codes. I went out just a bit ago and was in a drive through and the noise started again (not a cold start) and was just as loud. This is our first Mercedes and if this is truly normal then I am a bit disappointed. I’m not wanting our luxury SUV to be the car you hear coming from blocks away!
On the video you sent it almost sounded like the engine was idling and then someone pushed on the gas pedal, but you clearly stated that no one did. It could be that the a/c compressor kicked in and that will cause the idling to 'speed up' and the engine to sound noisier.

A couple of thoughts, all cars sound super loud with their engines running inside of a garage. So I would park it outside far from any buildings that could reflect or amplify noise and check the noise level there. If you have another car, park them side by side with their engines running and see if you still think you 450 is too loud by comparison. I really don't think from your movie clip that the noise was excessive, but then again I am not a sound engineer.
The following users liked this post:
thisguysucks (08-01-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Doesn't sound unusual to me. Sounds like the AC kicked in, or the auto fan was on and simply getting higher in fan speed causing a louder idle. If someone had revved the engine or gassed it a bit, it would sound completely different and you would hear the inline-6 almost growl, this simply sounds like AC to me.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:37 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thank you for your reply. Will do, on the picture. As noted in my post, we did take it back to the dealer. They didn’t find any fault codes and said based on the video they thought that was normal for a cold start, but that it didn’t make that noise while they had it. Also noted in my post, the same level of noise occurred while in a drive through after having driven it for a bit. Was just curious if this is the norm for the GLS as it seems excessively loud compared to our other vehicles.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:39 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thank you for your reply. We did.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:40 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thank you!
Old 07-28-2022, 06:44 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thank you for your reply. My husband also thought it was noisy because of the a/c, but thought it was loud too. As noted, the same noise kicked in when I was in the drive through after driving for a bit, so after pulling through I parked it in the parking lot and got out to listen. Was just as loud and you couldn’t speak in a normal voice and be heard while standing next to the hood.
Brendaqg16 (06-11-2023)
Old 07-28-2022, 06:46 PM

2022 GLS 450
Meant to also post in my response, we have a 2018 Audi Q5 as well. We did do as you suggested and started both of them side by side with a/c full blast. Got the loud noise from the GLS and the Audi was quite quiet and you didn’t have to raise your voice.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:50 PM

2022 GLS 450
Thank you for your reply. Okay, I give! New to Mercedes, so guess I just need to get used to the noise. Just surprised that Mercedes pushes how quiet their vehicles are and inside the vehicle it really is. However, you open our door and it’s a totally different experience. Just a bit disappointed.
wyatt88 (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,005 Likes on 3,147 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Thank you for your reply. Okay, I give! New to Mercedes, so guess I just need to get used to the noise. Just surprised that Mercedes pushes how quiet their vehicles are and inside the vehicle it really is. However, you open our door and it’s a totally different experience. Just a bit disappointed.
Good that you seem to have clarified it for yourself. Many things about the MB brand are illusory. For example, vehicle exterior noise, new-vehicle delivered quality and medium term reliability. To name a few.

Last edited by chassis; 07-29-2022 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gls450
It’s not normal.

Alybas- I had exactly the same problem with a 2022 GLS450 that I purchased two weeks ago. People in the vicinity of the car were startled when it was started. Most common when the car was in the sun or a hot garage. In my case, it was replicated by the SA and technician. They traced it to a white plastic connector behind the glove box that controls the AC engine compartment fan. It was not fully plugged in when the car was manufactured. I suspect that our vehicles were
produced at the same time. Perhaps someone new on the assembly line.

best of luck in getting it fixed.

Hello all. We just picked up our 2022 GLS 450 on Friday. Drove it around for a bit and then went home and parked it in the garage. When we started it to go out again, the engine seemed to be really loud. I’ve posted just a small portion of the video because of size restriction. Before anyone suggests it, I checked that my husband wasn’t accidentally pushing on the gas. Is this normal for the GLS 450? Standing next to it, you had to yell to be heard, you couldn’t speak normally. Sent the video to our AC and brought it into the dealership. He indicated that he thought that was just the cold start up noise. He had the techs look at it and they said it wasn’t throwing any codes. I went out just a bit ago and was in a drive through and the noise started again (not a cold start) and was just as loud. This is our first Mercedes and if this is truly normal then I am a bit disappointed. I’m not wanting our luxury SUV to be the car you hear coming from blocks away!
Old 08-20-2022, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 Mercedes GLS450 & 2024 E350

I recently took delivery of my 2022 GLS450..ordered it in April, took delivery on 7/30/22. Production started late June possibly early july.. so having a recent build of GLS450. My vehicle absolutely doesn’t sound like that. It’s whisper quiet sometimes hard for me to discern if the car is even on or off while idle, and with the AC running its still very little noise coming out.
Brendaqg16 (06-11-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLS 350
I have a 2022 GLS 350 as well and it does the exact same sound. I thought something was wrong with it too. I had a C300 coupe and AC would make a clicking sound as well. I want to say it’s normal but I’m not sure.