Hot dog feature?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 663 Likes on 410 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Hot dog feature?

Funny thread title, but only conclusion I can come to….

It’s 85 and sunny today. I went to Lowes to replace some cheap wall cabinets. Second row of seats were folded down (bench). All windows and roof closed before going in.

I come back out 20 minutes later and find all windows down about ¼ of the way and the roof tilted up, car unlocked. At first I though I forgot to roll everything up completely. But then realized they were all perfectly evenly rolled down, and I know I closed the sunroof completely and locked the car.

Never has done this before, ever. But rare the second row is folded down to haul something. So figured the car thought with the second row folded down, that perhaps I had a dog in the car and it got too hot in the car? It wasn’t hot, but….

does this sound right? Little worried that no dog in the car, but could’ve allowed some POS to flick a lit cigarette in there or something like that.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:41 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
That's odd. I have no solution but am curious too.
The following users liked this post:
rhubbell (04-10-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 06:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,695 Likes on 2,292 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nc211
Funny thread title, but only conclusion I can come to….

It’s 85 and sunny today. I went to Lowes to replace some cheap wall cabinets. Second row of seats were folded down (bench). All windows and roof closed before going in.

I come back out 20 minutes later and find all windows down about ¼ of the way and the roof tilted up, car unlocked. At first I though I forgot to roll everything up completely. But then realized they were all perfectly evenly rolled down, and I know I closed the sunroof completely and locked the car.

Never has done this before, ever. But rare the second row is folded down to haul something. So figured the car thought with the second row folded down, that perhaps I had a dog in the car and it got too hot in the car? It wasn’t hot, but….

does this sound right? Little worried that no dog in the car, but could’ve allowed some POS to flick a lit cigarette in there or something like that.
Hmmmmmmm very interesting and considerate of Mercedes if that is a feature indeed but at the same time it is probably not nice or even illegal to leave pets in a hot car.
Time to call out paw patrol... to investigate what it is.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is how it was when I came back to the car. Correction to first post, it was still locked.

To be clear, our dog was not in the car. It was empty, but the bench seats were down for cargo.

What’s even weirder, if meant to cool the car, then why did it just open the sunroof? Seems like a better solution would be to lower the windows
like it did, and close the sunroof shade, instead of lifting up the back part of the sunroof. Doesn't make much sense to me to allow direct sunlight into the car when it didn’t have to.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,478 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Sometimes if you hold the UN lock button on keyfob or door handle when opening the car ... hold it a bit longer than usual and it attempts to lower all windows and sunroof - you can go try it now... and I've done this a couple times ... once you lift off your finger it stops the lowering

at times when I was opening my car with keyfob as I approached it ... it would open the doors and do this heat ventilation feature for a couple inches though I didn't hold the button down that long ..: maybe a glitch

Last edited by PeterUbers; 04-05-2023 at 07:34 PM.
wyatt88 (04-11-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Sometimes if you hold the UN lock button on keyfob or door handle when opening the car ... hold it a bit longer than usual and it attempts to lower all windows and sunroof - you can go try it now... and I've done this a couple times ... once you lift off your finger it stops the lowering

at times when I was opening my car with keyfob as I approached it ... it would open the doors and do this heat ventilation feature for a couple inches though I didn't hold the button down that long ..: maybe a glitch
i thought that might've been the case as well, but that would've meant the fob signal was able to reach from the back of Lowes to the car. That would’ve been the only place where I could’ve accidentally pressed and held the button. But then that should also mean the car would be unlocked, which it wasn't (see the mirrors still folded in).

I don’t think a glitch, but an unknown easter egg in the software. Going to try it again at home the next time it’s warm out. Fold down the second row and close it up in the driveway. See if it does it again.

I wasn’t in the store but maybe 20 minutes tops.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

i thought that might've been the case as well, but that would've meant the fob signal was able to reach from the back of Lowes to the car. That would’ve been the only place where I could’ve accidentally pressed and held the button. But then that should also mean the car would be unlocked, which it wasn't (see the mirrors still folded in).

I don’t think a glitch, but an unknown easter egg in the software. Going to try it again at home the next time it’s warm out. Fold down the second row and close it up in the driveway. See if it does it again.

I wasn’t in the store but maybe 20 minutes tops.
It might not be for the dog but for camping, since GLS is an SUV? Like for example you want to take a nap in the cabin with the seats down and the car realized the inside temperature is getting hot.... ya this sure is a mystery, eager to hear your update if it does it in your driveway.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Another possibility but I am not sure if the GLS has it with MBUX 1.0 NTG 6.0, is automation? Like set a certain time or temperature or date when it does one thing? I mean we can control certain functions like the sunroof with our voice after saying Hey Mercedes after all.
OP, anything out of the ordinary shown up in the app Mercedes Me?
Old 04-05-2023, 08:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,478 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
It might not be for the dog but for camping, since GLS is an SUV? Like for example you want to take a nap in the cabin with the seats down and the car realized the inside temperature is getting hot.... ya this sure is a mystery, eager to hear your update if it does it in your driveway.
not an Easter egg: what if it rained. Would it know to close the windows?
Old 04-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
not an Easter egg: what if it rained. Would it know to close the windows?
I believe European market MBs uses the rain sensor to close those up, I wonder if it was an option or standard in the USA however. I think I heard something like "regulations" making MB leaving this feature out? Something like how sudden closing windows or glass will cause hazard and injure the occupant. That is what I heard or read before, I wonder if it really is the case. I mean, opening the windows you wouldn't easily injure the occupants but closing might.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,943 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2019 C63CS
I've never heard of anything like this in a Mercedes. There's no such feature that automatically opens the sunroof and cracks the windows. My guess would also be that you inadvertently triggered the convenience open feature as you were walking away. Yes, the car would still be locked, because unless you open a door after unlocking it, it automatically locks itself again after 30 seconds.

You can test this actually:
  1. Lock the car
  2. Press the unlock button and hold it for a few seconds until the sunroof is open and the windows are cracked.
  3. Let go off the unlock button
  4. Wait 30 seconds
  5. Car should lock itself automatically.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-05-2023 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:00 AM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS
Originally Posted by superswiss
I've never heard of anything like this in a Mercedes. There's no such feature that automatically opens the sunroof and cracks the windows. My guess would also be that you inadvertently triggered the convenience open feature as you were walking away. Yes, the car would still be locked, because unless you open a door after unlocking it, it automatically locks itself again after 30 seconds.

You can test this actually:
  1. Lock the car
  2. Press the unlock button and hold it for a few seconds until the sunroof is open and the windows are cracked.
  3. Let go off the unlock button
  4. Wait 30 seconds
  5. Car should lock itself automatically.
I second this, too. Happened to me before by accident and now I use it regularly. Very useful feature to quickly evacuate hot air from the car. I have never seen this happen without me pressing the button even if inadvertently...
Old 04-06-2023, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since nobody has ever heard or seen this before, then I’m thinking i did somehow hit the button, possibly when I was getting the two defective cabinets out of the back to return. I know I closed up the car before getting out, and I know I hit the lock button on the tailgate to close it. Guessing somewhere between those two steps, the unlock button got pressed in my pocket while pulling the cabinets out and didn't realize it.

I’m still going to test it in the driveway though once we get the nice weather back, just to make sure, and will report back.
AKSwift (04-06-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 09:43 AM

Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
I carry the key fob in my pocket with pocket knife, chapstick, and change. Several times with my S550 and once with my GLS450 (that I have had since late November) I have accidently triggered the opening of the trunk or tailgate at my office. I believe sitting down pushed one of the items into the key fob trunk/tailgate button. After several times with the S550 (where I would also have in my pocket the key fob of my daily driver which had a ring with my office and home keys), I take that key fob out of my pocket when I get inside the office. I am impressed with the distance the key fob signal will carry. This may be what happened.

Last edited by TNS550; 04-06-2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Since nobody has ever heard or seen this before, then I’m thinking i did somehow hit the button, possibly when I was getting the two defective cabinets out of the back to return. I know I closed up the car before getting out, and I know I hit the lock button on the tailgate to close it. Guessing somewhere between those two steps, the unlock button got pressed in my pocket while pulling the cabinets out and didn't realize it.

I’m still going to test it in the driveway though once we get the nice weather back, just to make sure, and will report back.
This style key is easily triggered in the pocket, as there are little "islands" that you have to really press in on the old key fob that the newer style key fob lacks, just leaning your finger on this style key fob it could trigger the button so I am not surprised that it gets triggered in the pocket. I heard the new style W223 and W206 key is worse though in terms of accidental presses, for example sometimes the lock button gets pressed twice disabling keyless go on the latest version of the key so MB had to change the sequence of activating that feature on the MY23 https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post8738461
Old 04-06-2023, 11:54 AM

Received 172 Likes on 122 Posts
a
The button got pressed in your pocket. It happened to me more than a few times on my older car with the trunk.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Yeah for this and other reasons I don't carry physical keys, change etc. anymore. The key fob is the only thing in my pocket. My phone replaced most everything else I used to carry. It unlocks the smart locks to my house and grants me access elsewhere. Contactless payment replaced most of my wallet, so if I leave my house on foot, I don't even take my wallet with me anymore. The phone is all I need. Waiting for California to introduce a digital driver's license, then I can leave my wallet at home for good. Wish MB would support Apple Car Key, then I didn't even have to carry a fob anymore, but at least it's small and slick enough to not bother me by itself.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-06-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:37 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Yeah for this and other reasons I don't carry physical keys, change etc. anymore. The key fob is the only thing in my pocket. My phone replaced most everything else I used to carry. It unlocks the smart locks to my house and grants me access elsewhere. Contactless payment replaced most of my wallet, so if I leave my house on foot, I don't even take my wallet with me anymore. The phone is all I need. Waiting for California to introduce a digital driver's license, then I can leave my wallet at home for good. Wish MB would support Apple Car Key, then I didn't even have to carry a fob anymore, but at least it's small and slick enough to not bother me by itself.
Odin forbid you EVER lose your phone mate.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Odin forbid you EVER lose your phone mate.
Actually much less of a problem than losing your wallet and/or keys. First off my locks at home have a keypad, so I can still get into my house. You can't do that if you lost your keys and don't have one hidden away somewhere. My wife once locked herself out while I was in Germany, because she forgot her keys at work.

Secondly, I can track my lost phone and/or remote wipe it and nobody can use it w/o unlocking it. I can't do that with the credit cards etc. in my wallet or my keys. Major headache if you lose your wallet and have to reissue all your credit cards and go to the DMV to get a new driver's license. I can simply wipe my phone and all the digital credit cards and soon hopefully digital driver's license and don't have to go through the hassle of calling my bank to lock all my cards etc.

And the fewer things you have to carry the less you can lose.

EDIT: Also don't forget about wearables. Contactless payment extends to smartwatches and even fitness trackers, so do digital keys. Much less likely to lose something you wear on your wrist. Some smartwatches even have their own cellular connection, so you can still make phone calls if you lose your phone.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-06-2023 at 03:23 PM.
BenjaminKohl (06-14-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 08:44 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Actually much less of a problem than losing your wallet and/or keys. First off my locks at home have a keypad, so I can still get into my house. You can't do that if you lost your keys and don't have one hidden away somewhere. My wife once locked herself out while I was in Germany, because she forgot her keys at work.

Secondly, I can track my lost phone and/or remote wipe it and nobody can use it w/o unlocking it. I can't do that with the credit cards etc. in my wallet or my keys. Major headache if you lose your wallet and have to reissue all your credit cards and go to the DMV to get a new driver's license. I can simply wipe my phone and all the digital credit cards and soon hopefully digital driver's license and don't have to go through the hassle of calling my bank to lock all my cards etc.

And the fewer things you have to carry the less you can lose.

EDIT: Also don't forget about wearables. Contactless payment extends to smartwatches and even fitness trackers, so do digital keys. Much less likely to lose something you wear on your wrist. Some smartwatches even have their own cellular connection, so you can still make phone calls if you lose your phone.
I hear you, I know I'm old fashioned: never had a cell phone.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I hear you, I know I'm old fashioned: never had a cell phone.
Good days, walkie talkie?
hyperion667 (04-09-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 05:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS 450. Have a Holden Commodore, Jeep, truck, and more
I believe this happened to me a few days ago except the windows were rolled all of the way down. I need to go test this and see if I can replicate it.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7
I believe this happened to me a few days ago except the windows were rolled all of the way down. I need to go test this and see if I can replicate it.
If it was rolled all the way down then chances are the key was triggered and a button was held in the pocket continuously (Summer Convenience opening feature)
Edit: Wait nevermind forgot someone already mentioned this.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 04-10-2023 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Wait nevermind forgot someone already mentioned this.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 727 Likes on 541 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by TNS550
I carry the key fob in my pocket with pocket knife, chapstick, and change. Several times with my S550 and once with my GLS450 (that I have had since late November) I have accidently triggered the opening of the trunk or tailgate at my office. I believe sitting down pushed one of the items into the key fob trunk/tailgate button. After several times with the S550 (where I would also have in my pocket the key fob of my daily driver which had a ring with my office and home keys), I take that key fob out of my pocket when I get inside the office. I am impressed with the distance the key fob signal will carry. This may be what happened.
The dealer can program your key so it requires a double press to open the trunk. It's not complimentary though.

​​​​See here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...31032-0001.pdf

Complaint Tailgate opens unintentionally.

Cause Accidental or unnoticed activation of the button to open the tailgate on the vehicle key. E.g. when stored in trouser pocket, handbag etc.

Remedy As of the 6th generation, the vehicle key can be recoded so that the tailgate no longer opens as a result of a long press on the button, but by double-clicking on the button instead

Last edited by wildta; 06-14-2023 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by wildta
The dealer can program your key so it requires a double press to open the trunk. It's not complimentary though.

​​​​See here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...31032-0001.pdf

Complaint Tailgate opens unintentionally.

Cause Accidental or unnoticed activation of the button to open the tailgate on the vehicle key. E.g. when stored in trouser pocket, handbag etc.

Remedy As of the 6th generation, the vehicle key can be recoded so that the tailgate no longer opens as a result of a long press on the button, but by double-clicking on the button instead
Is it just a setting in Xentry?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hot dog feature?