GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Do you hear what I hear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 07:34 PM

Received 91 Likes on 52 Posts
GLS450 (2024), C300 (2023), EQE350+ (2024)
Do you hear what I hear?

I'm pretty lost.
I have been dealing with a noise issue in my 2024 GLS for months. It's a low-pitch clunk/rumble coming from the back of the cabin that is most noticeable when driving slowly and going over a small bump or pothole. If I go faster or rev up the engine (or radio is on), it is masked by the road noise and can no longer be heard. You normally hear a bump as the wheels go over the road imperfections, but in my car, there seems to be an extra bump noise coming from the rear, as if there are loose panels bouncing once or twice more. I emptied out everything (even the spare tire) and the noise remained.

At the dealership, a senior tech drove with me and was able to hear the noise, so at least it seems I wasn't hallucinating. According to the SA, they were able to isolate the noise to "stowage tray cover" (the cover piece over the spare tire compartment) and applied some felt tape here and there and eventually replaced a part (I assumed it was the same cover, but the SA said it was something else that was loose). The noise was somewhat reduced, but I could still hear it (sometimes more noticeable, sometimes less, but it was definitely still there). Of note, during the visits for the noise and other service visits in the past few months, I drove quite a few different loaners (GLC, GLB, GLE, EQB and EQS) and never heard a similar noise from any of those cars.

Frustrated, I made another visit today to have the dealership look into the noise again. This time, they gave me a 2024 GLS as the loaner, and as I was driving away from the dealership, I heard THE EXACT SAME NOISE IN THE LOANER CAR!

I am totally lost and confused here. How likely is it that two different cars are having the exact same defect causing the noise? If two 2024 GLSs are making the exact same noise (that I couldn't hear in a handful of other MB SUV models), could it be just a "feature" rather than a problem? Have I been too demanding and nitpicking? (I felt a bit embarrassed to be honest...)

Please help me out here next time you take your GLS for a ride, listen carefully with radio off while driving/coasting slowly and see if you can also hear what I hear when going over small road bumps. Thank you!!
Old 01-17-2024, 08:43 AM

Received 186 Likes on 149 Posts
'23 GLS450
I don't hear any noise but I have a MY23, right before the MY24 refresh. That would stink if this is common to all MY24 and continues to exist the entire generation through to MY25.

I know your dealer looked at it but I would double check to make sure all ties in the spare tire area are tight and that you don't have any loose tools or AirTag bouncing around!
The following users liked this post:
rayzam (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 09:26 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLS 450
Originally Posted by rayzam
I'm pretty lost.
I have been dealing with a noise issue in my 2024 GLS for months. It's a low-pitch clunk/rumble coming from the back of the cabin that is most noticeable when driving slowly and going over a small bump or pothole. If I go faster or rev up the engine (or radio is on), it is masked by the road noise and can no longer be heard. You normally hear a bump as the wheels go over the road imperfections, but in my car, there seems to be an extra bump noise coming from the rear, as if there are loose panels bouncing once or twice more. I emptied out everything (even the spare tire) and the noise remained.

At the dealership, a senior tech drove with me and was able to hear the noise, so at least it seems I wasn't hallucinating. According to the SA, they were able to isolate the noise to "stowage tray cover" (the cover piece over the spare tire compartment) and applied some felt tape here and there and eventually replaced a part (I assumed it was the same cover, but the SA said it was something else that was loose). The noise was somewhat reduced, but I could still hear it (sometimes more noticeable, sometimes less, but it was definitely still there). Of note, during the visits for the noise and other service visits in the past few months, I drove quite a few different loaners (GLC, GLB, GLE, EQB and EQS) and never heard a similar noise from any of those cars.

Frustrated, I made another visit today to have the dealership look into the noise again. This time, they gave me a 2024 GLS as the loaner, and as I was driving away from the dealership, I heard THE EXACT SAME NOISE IN THE LOANER CAR!

I am totally lost and confused here. How likely is it that two different cars are having the exact same defect causing the noise? If two 2024 GLSs are making the exact same noise (that I couldn't hear in a handful of other MB SUV models), could it be just a "feature" rather than a problem? Have I been too demanding and nitpicking? (I felt a bit embarrassed to be honest...)

Please help me out here next time you take your GLS for a ride, listen carefully with radio off while driving/coasting slowly and see if you can also hear what I hear when going over small road bumps. Thank you!!
It took me a very long time to isolate the location for the exact same noise coming from my 2020 GLS in exactly the same location (except mine does not have a spare) but it's the same cover mechanism over the compartment below. I had brought my car in twice to have it checked out at the dealership. Each time they claimed to have driven it for a couple of hours and didn't hear it. I found it nearly by accident by crawling around the cargo area and taking everything out of it and examining it carefully. Finally I realized it was the deck cover that was making the noise, maybe a hinge. I haven't brought it to MB to address it yet, so I can't offer any solutions yet, but only empathy b/c I know what you've been through.
The following 4 users liked this post by Daromo:
EWL5 (01-17-2024), mercedesbuff (01-17-2024), mikapen (01-17-2024), rayzam (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 01:22 PM

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
2024 GLS 580, 2022 Sprinter-based Winnebago View 24D
I have not heard this on my 2024 GLS 580, but I will listen for it.
rayzam (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,924 Likes on 3,090 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I'm pretty lost.

Try folding down the rear seats (both rows) and see if the noise changes. The seat backs could be loose in the latches.
rayzam (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by EWL5
I don't hear any noise but I have a MY23, right before the MY24 refresh. That would stink if this is common to all MY24 and continues to exist the entire generation through to MY25.

I know your dealer looked at it but I would double check to make sure all ties in the spare tire area are tight and that you don't have any loose tools or AirTag bouncing around!
Yes, we've checked that. I completely emptied that area and removed the spare (btw good exercise to get ready for the day you need to use that spare!) and the noise remained.
The following 2 users liked this post by rayzam:
EWL5 (01-18-2024), Splaktar (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Daromo
It took me a very long time to isolate the location for the exact same noise coming from my 2020 GLS in exactly the same location (except mine does not have a spare) but it's the same cover mechanism over the compartment below. I had brought my car in twice to have it checked out at the dealership. Each time they claimed to have driven it for a couple of hours and didn't hear it. I found it nearly by accident by crawling around the cargo area and taking everything out of it and examining it carefully. Finally I realized it was the deck cover that was making the noise, maybe a hinge. I haven't brought it to MB to address it yet, so I can't offer any solutions yet, but only empathy b/c I know what you've been through.
Thanks for the empathy and sharing your experience. I think that's what the dealership initially thought in my case as well. However, that deck cover can be easily removed (there are 2 hinges with 2 hex bolts on each) and unfortunately the noise didn't go away when I removed mine.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by chassis
Try folding down the rear seats (both rows) and see if the noise changes. The seat backs could be loose in the latches.
Thanks! That's also one of the things I thought about. I tried it with all seats up, all seats down and various combinations in-between and didn't feel much difference in the noise.

After ruling out most other sources, I started to suspect that the noise was coming from the hatch/liftgate. I sat inside and closed the liftgate and as I banged my fist on it from inside, I could almost hear that extra bounce as if something was loose inside. The SA called me today and said they also found a loose latch (?) in the liftgate and they think that was the source of the noise and they fixed it. I will pick up the car tomorrow and will report back.
The following 4 users liked this post by rayzam:
chassis (01-18-2024), Daromo (01-19-2024), Splaktar (01-18-2024), wyatt88 (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 628 Likes on 464 Posts
MB
I think there have been several reports on here of rattles from the back caused by a loose latch.
rayzam (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,171 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Ask the shop to fit their "Chassis Ears" to locate the noise.
Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikapen:
EWL5 (01-18-2024), rayzam (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:50 PM

Picked up the car today and the noise is gone! Guess third time was the charm! The cause: loose tailgate lock assembly (see below). Considering that I heard the exact same noise in the loaner GLS, it might be a prevalent assembly issue so check your cars at low speeds to see if you hear the extra bounce.

The following 8 users liked this post by rayzam:
chassis (01-18-2024), Daromo (01-19-2024), EWL5 (01-18-2024), kcwjr (01-29-2024), MDMercedesGuy (01-18-2024), Splaktar (01-18-2024), wildta (01-18-2024), wyatt88 (01-19-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:52 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Picked up the car today and the noise is gone! Guess third time was the charm! The cause: loose tailgate lock assembly (see below). Considering that I heard the exact same noise in the loaner GLS, it might be a prevalent assembly issue so check your cars at low speeds to see if you hear the extra bounce.
Thanks for the update, and seems like a good job by the tech to be thorough and track down the noise...
The following 5 users liked this post by z28lt1:
Daromo (01-19-2024), mikapen (01-19-2024), rayzam (01-18-2024), Splaktar (01-18-2024), wyatt88 (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 04:06 PM

That seems like a really detailed and helpful write up of the issue too. I have never seen that kind of attention to detail from a mechanic when writing up an issue resolution.

I don't have the noise in mine, but thankfully it sounds like an easy fix if it starts bumping.

Thank you for sharing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Splaktar:
Daromo (01-19-2024), MDMercedesGuy (01-18-2024), rayzam (01-19-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Good to hear. Enough people have posted this it makes me wonder if we will see a TSB.

My 2024 is silent back there thankfully, so hopefully it is not a production wide thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDMercedesGuy:
chassis (01-18-2024), rayzam (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 09:52 AM

Is the tailgate lock assembly in the floor of the trunk (I.e. Tailgate) or in the liftgate where the locking mechanism is?

The assembly around my tailgate is really solid. I didn't look at the locking mechanism in the liftgate though.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 GLS 450
Same problem

I'm pretty lost.

I have the same exact problem with my 2024 GLS 450 as well. I can feel every small bump and creaking sounds when I go over them at low speeds. It’s pretty annoying for a car that costs 100k and is thr flagship of MB SUVs. Did anyone find a way to reduce the noises.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 628 Likes on 464 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by yf23
I have the same exact problem with my 2024 GLS 450 as well. I can feel every small bump and creaking sounds when I go over them at low speeds. It’s pretty annoying for a car that costs 100k and is thr flagship of MB SUVs. Did anyone find a way to reduce the noises.
It was mentioned in a subsequent post (post #11) by OP here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ml#post8909628
The following 3 users liked this post by wildta:
mikapen (01-29-2024), rayzam (01-28-2024), Splaktar (01-28-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 12:13 AM

Received 137 Likes on 113 Posts
SL63
Great title for a thread. Especially when Christmas is nigh. When it sneaks up on you, it’s a silent nigh.
Maybe I can tie that into a new thread title.
rayzam (01-29-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 07:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS 450. Have a Holden Commodore, Jeep, truck, and more
Glad it's resolved. Many years ago I worked at a dealership (not MB) and spent a large part of my time doing "trim" and interior. Much of that was spent chasing noises and resolving them. It can be really tough, but a good tech can usually solve it. Sounds like you had a good tech.

Originally Posted by Splaktar
That seems like a really detailed and helpful write up of the issue too. I have never seen that kind of attention to detail from a mechanic when writing up an issue resolution.

I don't have the noise in mine, but thankfully it sounds like an easy fix if it starts bumping.

Thank you for sharing.
Typically to get paid extra diagnosis time (which it appears by the desciption) you have to write up a thorough explanation of the diagnosis and resolution. Especially if it is a return visit.
The following 3 users liked this post by LeadfootCJ7:
mikapen (01-30-2024), rayzam (01-30-2024), Splaktar (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7
Glad it's resolved. Many years ago I worked at a dealership (not MB) and spent a large part of my time doing "trim" and interior. Much of that was spent chasing noises and resolving them. It can be really tough, but a good tech can usually solve it. Sounds like you had a good tech.

Typically to get paid extra diagnosis time (which it appears by the desciption) you have to write up a thorough explanation of the diagnosis and resolution. Especially if it is a return visit.
Great comment.
The better the customer's description, the more likely the problem can be found and fixed.
Especially with squeaks and rattles.
rayzam (01-30-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 09:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS 450. Have a Holden Commodore, Jeep, truck, and more
Originally Posted by mikapen
Great comment.
The better the customer's description, the more likely the problem can be found and fixed.
Especially with squeaks and rattles.
Definitely! This is also where a good service writer is important. When I worked in service many years ago we would play a game of making up problem descriptions based on the service writer. Some were horrible. IE "hears funny noise" vs "Hears metallic noise in right front area when going over expansion joints at high speeds, but doesn't feel anything in the steering wheel or chassis"

When your service writer hands you the service order to sign off at dropoff pay attention to what they have noted. Also look at the invoice when you pick it up to see what is written there. Often times this is the difference in a proper diagnosis/repair and getting told it's normal.
The following 3 users liked this post by LeadfootCJ7:
EWL5 (02-01-2024), mikapen (02-01-2024), Splaktar (02-03-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7
When your service writer hands you the service order to sign off at dropoff pay attention to what they have noted. Also look at the invoice when you pick it up to see what is written there. Often times this is the difference in a proper diagnosis/repair and getting told it's normal.
That's a definite yes! Make sure the description matches your problem.
I write my own brief description and make sure it's attached to the RO. The technicians appreciate it, as does the Service Writer, if you handle it tactfully.
Splaktar (02-03-2024)