GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 MB GLS-580
Question Steering Wheel Swap

I have a 2021 MB GLS-580 (around 31k miles), with the standard leather wrapped heated steering wheel. I want to swap this for the wood and leather heated steering wheel with the leather wrapped center air bag cover.

The standard plastic center has never impressed me.

Does anyone have any experience with doing this themselves? Or would you just let MB dealer stick it to you on something like this?

My current steering wheel situation.

The setup I'm looking for.

Last edited by rdwhite; 03-29-2024 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 03-28-2024, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Steering wheel swaps are not difficult with the right tools - you just have to make sure that you keep the clock spring aligned and do not let it rotate in the process (this is what provides the power to the airbag/connectivity to the controls as the wheel rotates).

The leather airbag cover is not just a cover, but is the whole airbag itself. Combined with the cost of the wheel, it will probably be a fairly expensive undertaking to do this. I understand your desire though... the leather airbag is so nice to look at and feel when you honk at someone plugging the left lane 😅
The following 2 users liked this post by MDMercedesGuy:
LeadfootCJ7 (03-28-2024), rdwhite (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:57 PM

Received 117 Likes on 93 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by rdwhite
I have a 2021 MB GLS-580 (around 31k miles), with the standard leather wrapped heated steering wheel. I want to swap this for the wood and leather heated steering wheel with the leather wrapped center air bag cover.

The standard plastic center has never impressed me.

Do anyone have any experience with doing this themselves? Or would you just let MB dealer stick it to you on something like this?

My current steering wheel situation.

The setup I'm looking for.
you can buy just an airbag cover. Don’t need to buy a whole new airbag
​​​​​​​the cover is super easy to swap
The following users liked this post:
rdwhite (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
Steering wheel swaps are not difficult with the right tools - you just have to make sure that you keep the clock spring aligned and do not let it rotate in the process (this is what provides the power to the airbag/connectivity to the controls as the wheel rotates).

The leather airbag cover is not just a cover, but is the whole airbag itself. Combined with the cost of the wheel, it will probably be a fairly expensive undertaking to do this. I understand your desire though... the leather airbag is so nice to look at and feel when you honk at someone plugging the left lane 😅
If by whole airbag you mean a replacement cover then yes.
rdwhite (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by lthlc63
you can buy just an airbag cover. Don’t need to buy a whole new airbag
the cover is super easy to swap
It isn’t just a cover, it’s integral to the bag…

here’s the part with the leather https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-p...JjaCBSZXN1bHRz

and the part he has, without the leather

https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-p...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

The cover is integrated into the module, otherwise it would become a projectile during deployment.
rdwhite (03-29-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
No…
rdwhite (03-29-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Ah yea, seeing your other posts I understand this reply a bit better. Respect that hustle, but I was offering advice on an OEM solution.

With all due respect, as someone with a lot of time in this industry and who has been around a decent amount of airbag deployments in my day under both controlled and uncontrolled circumstances, no way in hell would I want a modified bag staring me down every mile I drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by MDMercedesGuy:
mikapen (03-29-2024), rdwhite (03-29-2024), Splaktar (04-02-2024)
Old 03-29-2024, 05:22 PM

2021 MB GLS-580
Smile

here’s the part with the leather https://classicparts.mbusa.com/oem-p...JjaCBSZXN1bHRz

The cover is integrated into the module, otherwise it would become a projectile during deployment.
Thank you! I've been trying to locate the part numbers. Do you happen to know what the part number is for the wood and leather steering wheel?

I completely agree with you on wanting an OEM airbag, I wouldn't want it to not work if/when needed!

The guys at my local MB parts counter continue to tell me that's not how my vehicle was produced so they can't "find" the correct parts I want. I think they are just being lazy. I have done some looking and find three different part numbers. I know the center black leather airbag is really for the executive black leather interior color. But with the rest of the dash and door being black leather, I don't think the black airbag cover will look wrong. Heck it's black plastic now.

How do you like your 24 GLS? I have been looking at them...but nothing wrong with my current GLS.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
Thank you! I've been trying to locate the part numbers. Do you happen to know what the part number is for the wood and leather steering wheel?

I completely agree with you on wanting an OEM airbag, I wouldn't want it to not work if/when needed!

The guys at my local MB parts counter continue to tell me that's not how my vehicle was produced so they can't "find" the correct parts I want. I think they are just being lazy. I have done some looking and find three different part numbers. I know the center black leather airbag is really for the executive black leather interior color. But with the rest of the dash and door being black leather, I don't think the black airbag cover will look wrong. Heck it's black plastic now.

How do you like your 24 GLS? I have been looking at them...but nothing wrong with my current GLS.
Give me some time this evening and I’ll see what I am find. A good friend of mine is a parts director at a dealer, and MB makes things a bit difficult to find without the VIN, and certain things it won’t show if they aren’t on your VIN.

I love my GLS so far. I’m coming up on 3 months and closing in on 6k miles and it’s been solid and troublefree. I miss the serene ride of my prior Suburban, but that goes away when you get into a twisty road. I think my biggest gripe would be that the ventilated seats aren’t that powerful, but that’s not unique to the GLS and I knew that coming in.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:31 PM

by this logic every mercedes airbag is a projectile. Its not a solid piece thats molded together. covers can be replaced
every airbag Is made up of 4 componants, all of which can be individually replaced should you choose to for whatever the reason is.
for both the links you sent above. the cover can be removed and replaced with a new oem one wrapped in leather.

take a look at your airbag. tell me there is no possible way that the cover cannot come off

op: 4 10mm nuts and the cover separtates from the metal housing.
there are tabs in the housing that keeps the cover from "flying out"
Old 03-30-2024, 08:37 PM

Ah yea, seeing your other posts I understand this reply a bit better. Respect that hustle, but I was offering advice on an OEM solution.

With all due respect, as someone with a lot of time in this industry and who has been around a decent amount of airbag deployments in my day under both controlled and uncontrolled circumstances, no way in hell would I want a modified bag staring me down every mile I drive.
the leather airbag that you sent in your link is just that. its a modified oem airbag. the entire airbag isnt made of leather, it wouldnt have any structual integrety.
in terms of how those airbag deploy compared to oem there is no difference. the vast amount of force blowing through tears anything and everything from the surface.. I wouldnt be selling the covers myself if I hadnt done product testing of my own...Iv blown up A LOT of bags for "science"

the product on its own is perfect, its the customer who chooses to install said product. theres really no way to mess up the install, it would be instantly apparent when put in the car.

but yes OEM solution is just a modifed oem nothing more.
im a firm believer of avoid the stealership when possible
Old 04-02-2024, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,707 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
the leather airbag that you sent in your link is just that. its a modified oem airbag. the entire airbag isnt made of leather, it wouldnt have any structual integrety.
in terms of how those airbag deploy compared to oem there is no difference. the vast amount of force blowing through tears anything and everything from the surface.. I wouldnt be selling the covers myself if I hadnt done product testing of my own...Iv blown up A LOT of bags for "science"
Are you willing to own the liability if anyone is ever hurt or killed by an airbag deployment that is hindered by your covers you are selling?
The following 2 users liked this post by SW20S:
MDMercedesGuy (04-03-2024), mikapen (04-02-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450

the product on its own is perfect, its the customer who chooses to install said product. theres really no way to mess up the install, it would be instantly apparent when put in the car.

but yes OEM solution is just a modifed oem nothing more.
im a firm believer of avoid the stealership when possible
The leather airbag I sent in my link is an OEM part, designed by the OEM, to OEM specifications, meeting all US FMVSS as well as other worldwide regulations, tested under instrumented conditions and not just "blown up for science". I never implied that the entire airbag is made of leather, the point being is that it is manufactured to a standard which a modified bag is not.

Again... actual industry exposure/experience and being involved in instrumented testing.
rdwhite (04-07-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 GLS450
by this logic every mercedes airbag is a projectile. Its not a solid piece thats molded together. covers can be replaced
every airbag Is made up of 4 componants, all of which can be individually replaced should you choose to for whatever the reason is.
for both the links you sent above. the cover can be removed and replaced with a new oem one wrapped in leather.

take a look at your airbag. tell me there is no possible way that the cover cannot come off

op: 4 10mm nuts and the cover separtates from the metal housing.
there are tabs in the housing that keeps the cover from "flying out"
Everything we own is assembled of multiple components... that does not mean that they are designed to be replaced in part and not as a unit. Airbags are not treated as component replaceable assemblies (ETRs, deployable headrests, deployable rollbars and other pyrotechnic safety devices are, as they are contained, controlled, and are not aiming a projectile at a living being).

What torque spec are you tightening those 10mm nuts to when you put the cover on? What type of thread sealant are you using? What measures are you taking to ensure that contaminants are not making their way under the cover prior to the cover being secured? What type of X-ray equipment are you using to validate all of the above prior to packaging and sending the bag (you do know that bags are sent through an X-ray as part of a QC and production control process, correct?).

If you aren't answering all of these questions with an affirmative, factual answer, you are not OEM equivalent.

Last edited by MDMercedesGuy; 04-03-2024 at 11:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MDMercedesGuy:
mikapen (04-03-2024), rdwhite (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 06:25 PM

2021 MB GLS-580
Give me some time this evening and I’ll see what I am find. A good friend of mine is a parts director at a dealer, and MB makes things a bit difficult to find without the VIN, and certain things it won’t show if they aren’t on your VIN.

I love my GLS so far. I’m coming up on 3 months and closing in on 6k miles and it’s been solid and troublefree. I miss the serene ride of my prior Suburban, but that goes away when you get into a twisty road. I think my biggest gripe would be that the ventilated seats aren’t that powerful, but that’s not unique to the GLS and I knew that coming in.
Just wanted to circle back on this again. Looking forward to anything you might have found. Thanks for all you help!
Old 05-11-2024, 02:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Just wanted to circle back on this again. Looking forward to anything you might have found. Thanks for all you help!
the top of the steering wheel in my 2021 GLS450 is starting to show wear. I would love to replace it with wood