GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Experience with Towing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experience with Towing

Has anyone has experience with towing the GLS 450? Specifically in terrains with mountains/steep hills? How does it handle with a load? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've been thinking about getting a GLS 450. I need a vehicle that has decent MPG, but also can tow a boat/camper/four wheelers/trailer.

Thank you in advance!

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 780 Likes on 759 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to X167 forum...
Old Today, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 519 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
I’ll be towing for the first time hopefully next week for a planned trip.

I watched a ton of videos and this car seems to be the perfect SUV to tow boats and campers. Mine has the tow package, so make sure whatever you find has that. Towing weight is as high as other SUVs or better. The Trailer Manoeuvring Assist” feature is very useful if you are towing a boat or long camper.

I hope to report back with real-life experience soon, but from the dozens of videos I watched, am very excited. The inline 6 coupled to the 9G is just the perfect balance for a smooth highway family ride. For an SUV, I’d pick this engine 10/10 again in the future. MPG is great but that’s not my goal, it just how smooth the drivetrain is even for city roads (it behaves the complete opposite to sedans). The engine still has nice pronounced exhaust sound (I have the amg package so not sure if this plays a role) even more than my former V8 W222. Responsiveness from idle is much better as well - it’s instantaneous power delivery. The 48V hybrid system helps a lot for sure; and the *** is unnoticeable. For highways, I like the eco mode (especially for how often it switches to “sink” mode or whatever it’s called when engine shuts off as I go through a lot of maintain-like areas with fair amount of miles driven hillwards.

The brakes on this car should handle very well when towing heavy boats, campers, or even full-passengers capacities and their cargo items (I’ve already experienced the later). Again, mine has the AMG package and am not quite sure if the brakes are different like they are for the MSport BMWs. If you decide to get the AMG package on a 450, that has become only available for 2022 model years and after - so keep that mind.

Another reason to avoid non-amg 450s is the tire size…. Most GLS SUVs equipped with the AMG pkg come with wider tires that they also stick out slightly for stability.

Reverse camera has special view for towing too, that I found it useful though I haven’t towed for long distances yet like I said, but tried to move around neighborhood to get a feeling of the dynamics and dimensions.

Last edited by S_W222; Today at 11:02 AM.
Old Today, 11:55 AM

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Originally Posted by needanswers1234
Has anyone has experience with towing the GLS 450? Specifically in terrains with mountains/steep hills? How does it handle with a load? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've been thinking about getting a GLS 450. I need a vehicle that has decent MPG, but also can tow a boat/camper/four wheelers/trailer.

Thank you in advance!
How much weight? How far/fast are you going? How much experience have you had towing?
Old Today, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,219 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
The GLS can be an exceptional tow vehicle IF you respect its weight limitations. It has bigger brakes than a 3/4 ton truck and modern suspension - it's far superior to a pickup. Except for cargo capacity.

Yes, it can pull 7,700 lb. But the cargo capacity will be your limiting factor. It will probably be under 1200 lb.
Cargo capacity includes occupants and cargo, but don't forget it also includes the tongue weight.

Working backwards from your trailer weight, figure 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue to prevent fishtailing.

So if you have an 1100 lb cargo capacity (on the driver's door post), and have 500 lb of people and goods, Your tongue weight should stay below 600 lb, which means no more than a 6,000 lb trailer.

And in my opinion, if the trailer is over 3,000 lb, you need a good weight distribution hitch to return steering ability to the front axles.
If you have air suspension, you need to turn to turn it off while you adjust your weight distribution. Don't be fooled into thinking that because the trailer has leveled with the air suspension, that you've restored steering capability.

Set up right, it'll be a trouble free towing experience. But you have to set it up. And I might be worth a trip to the scales to make sure you aren't overloaded. And I might be worth a trip to the scales to make sure you aren't overloaded.

I cheat and exceed my cargo capacity, but I am attentive to the axle weight capacity (GAWR - also on the driver door post) with a trip to the scales, and I have several hundred pounds each axle reserve.

Last edited by mikapen; Today at 02:01 PM.