Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL55 vs CBR1000 RR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Hey man.. dont shoot the messenger...
Thats what the guys themselves told me!!!
plus, you gotta keep in mind, they prolly went on a roll-on from 80 mph or 90 mph....
I'm sure they went up to 170 mph....but that is the story...

Iron Sheik

Not shooting the messenger, but still at 170 should make little difference. That said if the guy is a poor rider and does not downshift, then the outcome will be different.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:38 PM

i drive an ///M6
...makes me think

...of a couple run-ins i had when i had my r1 as well. one was in upsate NY, the other in nw CT. both had the same outcome..... i won. there was a 355(yes ferrari) chasing me and he almost threw it off the road in a couple of s turns, couple guys behind us said he hit his brakes hard and there was alot of smoke. the other was against an m3, e46, which was much closer, believe it or not. as a pretty expirienced rider, i pulled away, but not as easily as i thought i would. he was a pretty good driver. on each occasion, none of us got above 120 or so, but had alot of sharp turns. ohhhh the fond memories........ nice kill "ingenereamg"
Old 05-16-2005, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
So much of any kind of racing encounter has to do with the monkey behind the controls. Sometimes it almost doesn't matter how much HP/Totque you have, or how big your tires are and how sticky the rubber is...........if you are inexperienced and/or untrained...........the guy with the 'lesser' ride is probably going to come out on top...........or there might be a trip to the hospital!! How many times when I was first doing track events, did some guy in a beat up Scirocco lap my 308.......WAHHHH!

I love my Fcars, but I have managed to run away consistently from Ferrari's....even a Challenge Stradale on a windy road with the SL55. I am not saying that I am a great driver, I have just been at this sillyness for a long time....and I love windy roads and road courses.

Bikes are fun to mess with as they don't anticipate the rate of accelleration from the 55, and if the rider is not experienced generally he will run out of ***** (if he's smart). I have a feeling that ICEAMG would run away from me on his R1. All things being equal, the car should do well....I have seen GP bikes against F1 cars and the cars are consistently quicker in the corners and overall lap time. From a street car perspective, given equal skills...the bike should win, based on power to weight.....but it always comes down to that darn user screwing things up!

Racing is fun, but its always better to have a great story and have your legs and machine in tact, rather than get a 'win' that means nothing in the big picture, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
good story, it was amusing. but being a street bike owner and rider i really cant believe this one, sorry. thanks for the laugh though.

wait, did the 1000 look like this?

Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 PM

2004 W211 - 2004 MV Agusta SPR
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Sure the bike has a better power to weight ratio...however, in the real world, when speeds start getting up there (140-150+)...the biker has a hell of a lot more to lose than the car.
True Dat...but for speed junkies I still bikes are the path to nirvana
Old 05-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Banned

1995 w140 s500
lol 1000's hit 210 easy .
Old 05-16-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
good story, it was amusing. but being a street bike owner and rider i really cant believe this one, sorry. thanks for the laugh though.

wait, did the 1000 look like this?

I'm a sport bike rider as well...and no it wasn't an old Honda Hurricane.......it was a CBR 1000RR w/temp tags (as in the guy just picked it up).

Read the conditions that we were in.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nice kill!

Maybe the bikester did not hit the optimal gear (sounds like he downshifted twice, which maybe was still not a low enough gear to put him in the meat of his powerband). Also, maybe he did not really "wring it out" because the bike was brand new and not yet past the break-in period.

As for the naysayers, never forget the human factor in a race. A bad driver in or on a fast machine will usually lose to a good driver in or on a somewhat slower machine, especially when manual gearboxes are in play. It is moronic to say that such and such vehicle can never lose to such and such other vehicle. Given the right circumstances, any vehicle can lose to any other. Granted, the Enzo driver would have to have an aneurysm to lose to the Ford Taurus, but it is still possible.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Vomit
Nice kill!

Maybe the bikester did not hit the optimal gear (sounds like he downshifted twice, which maybe was still not a low enough gear to put him in the meat of his powerband). Also, maybe he did not really "wring it out" because the bike was brand new and not yet past the break-in period.

As for the naysayers, never forget the human factor in a race. A bad driver in or on a fast machine will usually lose to a good driver in or on a somewhat slower machine, especially when manual gearboxes are in play. It is moronic to say that such and such vehicle can never lose to such and such other vehicle. Given the right circumstances, any vehicle can lose to any other. Granted, the Enzo driver would have to have an aneurysm to lose to the Ford Taurus, but it is still possible.
Granted, anything is possible. And I am not saying it did not happen (actually I believe it did happen), but for a CBR 1000 RR to be a dot in the mirror there is definitely an indication that the bike it not quite at it. As said earlier though, I would think twice about taking on an SL 55 without PERFECT conditions, coz you are going to end up way past 150, which carries its set of constraints.

The speed of 165 is a joke to a liter bike (they become sluggish only when getting very close to top speed, and most of them are now regulated at 185, actual speed). Even if you downshift only to 4th on a CBR 1000, it is going to go like stink.

In short, to start chewing on bikes in good conditions, get 600-700 rwhp. In that territory, you get equal 1/4 mile time, and are pulling on top end. Until that point, it's how much the rider (or driver) sucks that seals the deal.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
I'm a sport bike rider as well...and no it wasn't an old Honda Hurricane.......it was a CBR 1000RR w/temp tags (as in the guy just picked it up).

Read the conditions that we were in.
obviously you didnt catch the sarcasm in my post
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I should have known better BklynBenz.....sorry. I wasn't in a NY state of mind! I was out your way this past weekend. I love NY in the spring.........but my rent a car got towed in Manhattan...that's a whole other 'kill story'!!

I still think that I caught a novice rider on a new...scary fast bike. The cross winds were around 30-40mph where we were. He tried to probably 130-140, but I was far enough ahead, and he might have been scared and hanging on for dear life! Who knows.....but he was cool with the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Like I said, my E55 isn't in the same class as my CBR1100XX.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Almost a Member!

97 E420. 05 Yamaha R1(9.75 @145)
Check this out.

http://manray75.free.fr/videos/hayabusa+danemark.wmv
Old 05-17-2005, 08:55 PM

Talk about a death wish... (I'm sure I'll get the "These are very skilled riders that can judge freeway conditions while doing 185mph.) Get on the freeway, check your rearview mirror to change lanes at 70mph, looks open, proceed to change lanes, a man is then doing a 200-foot long jump in the center lane of I-95 in which no road rash suit in the world is good enough to keep him in one peice. Hey, whatever floats your boat...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:38 PM

i drive an ///M6
So much of any kind of racing encounter has to do with the monkey behind the controls. Sometimes it almost doesn't matter how much HP/Totque you have, or how big your tires are and how sticky the rubber is...........if you are inexperienced and/or untrained...........the guy with the 'lesser' ride is probably going to come out on top...........or there might be a trip to the hospital!! How many times when I was first doing track events, did some guy in a beat up Scirocco lap my 308.......WAHHHH!

I love my Fcars, but I have managed to run away consistently from Ferrari's....even a Challenge Stradale on a windy road with the SL55. I am not saying that I am a great driver, I have just been at this sillyness for a long time....and I love windy roads and road courses.

Bikes are fun to mess with as they don't anticipate the rate of accelleration from the 55, and if the rider is not experienced generally he will run out of ***** (if he's smart). I have a feeling that ICEAMG would run away from me on his R1. All things being equal, the car should do well....I have seen GP bikes against F1 cars and the cars are consistently quicker in the corners and overall lap time. From a street car perspective, given equal skills...the bike should win, based on power to weight.....but it always comes down to that darn user screwing things up!

Racing is fun, but its always better to have a great story and have your legs and machine in tact, rather than get a 'win' that means nothing in the big picture, if you know what I mean.
with that being said, i USED to ride like that until 10 days before my 1st son was born(a 65mph low side slide made me rethink some things)-- i would jump back on a track in a heartbeat, though :v
Old 05-18-2005, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ICEAMG
with that being said, i USED to ride like that until 10 days before my 1st son was born(a 65mph low side slide made me rethink some things)-- i would jump back on a track in a heartbeat, though :v
I like to go fast..............in the cars. I have seen way too many results from nasty motorcycle wrecks. On the bike I am (in my mind) slow and defensive.........the results from an accident just aren't worth it. Those guys in that video are trying to get their pics on www.wreckedexotics.com if they do that on a regular basis. Having said that, I am sure that I have done some pretty silly things in my time.....at least they lived to tell about it!
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57
Originally Posted by socalbenz555
Yeah right I love fast cars, and you have a great car. The bike was probably a 600 and he was not a good rider. My 05 R1 would easily wheelie past you at 120 mph and spank your car at any role on speed. I can honestly say that the speed of a superbike is something everyone should experience. Its way more of a rush than sky diving. My bike weighs 425 lbs and has 180 HP,,,, do the math....
1/4 mile times of 9.9@145,,,, nice story though.

Amazing bike you have there I just read a test of the bike compared to 3 other bikes in the class.
Everyone of them was capable of 0-125 mph mid 7 sec, that is app half the time of a SL55. So it really pointless to discuss who is fastest. They tested max at app 185mph so that aint bad either.
Personaly I have problems to understand how it is possible to hang on to a bike during such an acceleration, my experience on bikes is limited to put it mildly, but even a 2003 BMW1200RS ( 130 hp) impressed and scared me enough to decide that bikes is nothing for me...

Regarding the "race" in question, I have no probs beliveing it happend.
I have had several encounter with bikes, NOT as extreme as the 05 R1 but still bikes a hell of a lot faster on paper than my car and still I have been able to stay with or beat them in some friendly high speed runs. I get supprised everytime, probably its a case of most riders have not the skills to get the max out of them or he has the brain not to try
Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM

i drive an ///M6
honestly....

if he had temp tags, he was probably still in the break in period, thus reluctant to really "hammer" it. great kill, anyway, though
Old 05-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Erik
Amazing bike you have there I just read a test of the bike compared to 3 other bikes in the class.
Everyone of them was capable of 0-125 mph mid 7 sec, that is app half the time of a SL55. So it really pointless to discuss who is fastest. They tested max at app 185mph so that aint bad either.
Personaly I have problems to understand how it is possible to hang on to a bike during such an acceleration, my experience on bikes is limited to put it mildly, but even a 2003 BMW1200RS ( 130 hp) impressed and scared me enough to decide that bikes is nothing for me...

Regarding the "race" in question, I have no probs beliveing it happend.
I have had several encounter with bikes, NOT as extreme as the 05 R1 but still bikes a hell of a lot faster on paper than my car and still I have been able to stay with or beat them in some friendly high speed runs. I get supprised everytime, probably its a case of most riders have not the skills to get the max out of them or he has the brain not to try

It takes time to get used to the power. Start with a 600cc bike and when you are ready move up to a 1000cc. holding on is easy, keeping the front wheel on the ground is the hard part during a drag race. Example: lets say you are in second gear on the freeway doing 75, if you twist the throttle fast it will lift the front wheel without even trying. these bikes go 100mph in first gear. So you are on the freeway and somebody wants to race, lets say maybe an sl55, drop down from 6th gear to 2nd and roll on the throttle hard, you get a nice wheelie going past 120mph then shift to 3rd and so on. bye bye sl55.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
I don't think you ever get used to the power. My CBR1100XX still scares the ***** out of me on occasion, and I've been riding 30 years. I remember the first test of the 'Busa, CBR, and the ZX-12. The conclusion was that all three were essentially the same "speed" on the street. You're just turning the throttle a little farther on one VS the other. No way to use all the power of any bike like this on the street unless you're dyin' to give up your license or your life. If you haven't experienced a super bike, trust me, our cars ain't even close.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:53 AM

Exclamation

only problem with the bike is that your head is the bumper
Old 06-24-2005, 07:20 PM

Sometimes when the drive is the most boring.....you get to have a little fun!

I was heading back to Phx from Palm Springs. The cruise set on 95. The traffic was pretty light...and they were moving out of the way for a change!! I notice up ahead that there is a sport bike that I am gaining on. He's probably doing about 80-85. As I cruise past him, I must have woken him up...as it was obvious that he wasn't going to let some 'car' pass him. Well..........it wasn't some car........it was a derestricted SL55 with a bit more power and torque.

Now, as I had my carbon based biological speed control device(CBBSCD) on board (skitish girl friend) there could be no real shananigans. As I glance to my left I see the CBR has caught up and is pacing me. As I look to my right......she's sound asleep. Just as I think I may be able to have a bit of fun.........I hear the bike downshift to show me who's boss.

I quickly blipped down 2 gears and was on it hard. So hard in fact that he never got a jump. As I pulled through 3rd, I heard him try for another gear.......it was hopeless. I am now towards the top of 4th......165+ and the CBR is just a dot in my rear view.

Just as I let off the gas my CBBSCD woke up and asked me how fast we were going. I looked to the right and told her everything was fine. I looked to my left and there was the CBR giving me the thumbs up. We drove into PHX together. The traffic cleared for both of us!
What does your car run in the 1/4th mile? Seems kind of odd that you would walk a 1000cc bike so easily. I know your car is bad ***, but most modern 1000cc bikes will run under 10 in the 1/4 mile stock. So unless it was a smaller bike, or an inexperienced rider I say you didnt get the real fun out of it that you should have :-) I have a 2004 GSXR 600 and it will run a mid 11 in the 1/4 mile with just a bolt on at 5000ft. You would smoke me, because my bike stops pulling hard at about 145 or so. The new 1000cc bikes are limited at 185mph.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500
http://media.planetvids.com/pvids/To..._Challenge.wmv
Old 06-26-2005, 01:15 AM
Almost a Member!

The bike spanked the car and the jet in the 1/4 mile. Also looked like the guy on the bike slowed down as the jet pased him. Maybe he got blasted by the jet exhaust. What kind of Porsche was that? and what is the top speed of it? Also, that was an older bike. Nice vid.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bwoodwa
What does your car run in the 1/4th mile? Seems kind of odd that you would walk a 1000cc bike so easily. I know your car is bad ***, but most modern 1000cc bikes will run under 10 in the 1/4 mile stock. So unless it was a smaller bike, or an inexperienced rider I say you didnt get the real fun out of it that you should have :-) I have a 2004 GSXR 600 and it will run a mid 11 in the 1/4 mile with just a bolt on at 5000ft. You would smoke me, because my bike stops pulling hard at about 145 or so. The new 1000cc bikes are limited at 185mph.
WOW! I can't believe this thread is still going. I don't know what the 1/4 mile times are as I don't do drags. I've done a 1:46 @ Laguna Seca and a 1:07 at PIR....I'm more into road courses.

As far as the bike goes....it WAS a CBR 1000RR. It was a new bike and I'm sure the guy was inexperienced. He was also probably smart enough not to risk his life doing something he might not have been ready to do.

Bottom line...we had fun...went fast....and lived to tell the tale!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55 vs CBR1000 RR