Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
from a roll, the Cobra with CPIE does have some pulling power that few cars would be able to beat. However SL65 stock is one of those cars.

SL65 stock vs. CPIE would be good race but not enough to over the take AMG.

stop to 155... would be a difference story.. since the AMG's auto and torque would be easier to launch than the Cobra.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Originally Posted by 03miamisnake
Now I will just get back into my 18 second C230 and be on my way.

LOL! Makes my diesel seem fast..
Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55 AMG
Are you sure it was a cobra and not a S281 Saleen? I'm a bit surprised that a stock cobra could keep up with the SL65...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:20 PM

02 C32R
Originally Posted by CDN-SLK55
Are you sure it was a cobra and not a S281 Saleen? I'm a bit surprised that a stock cobra could keep up with the SL65...
what makes you think it was stock??
Old 09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by CDN-SLK55
a Stock Terminator Cobra, 03/-04 is faster than an S281, or an S281 SC. Cobras dyno around 360 -376 WHP they are rated at 390 Crank. a Saleen is 360 Crank i believe thats the SC version too. He probably ran into a Pulley, and exhaust Cobra, and maybe with an ECU. a KB cobra would be a better race, but would probably end up loosing still.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

I believe that it had mods, but the final result was a death blow to the cobra. I have only had this car since friday 09-16 and mustang GT's are constantly running up to me revving their engines. I would like to just line them all up and do this one time so that everyone can take a deep breath and smell my V-12 Biturbo fumes.
I will do a few mods but I really don't care to do anything extreme. My headaches are bad enough
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Vomit
The SL65 is really a high 11 or low 12 second car (stock, of course). The S/C Cobra is a high 12 or low 13 second car. In other words, about 1 second of diff in the quarter. It sounds to me like the outcome of this race was entirely consistent with the published performance figures for these two cars. A car with a 1 second 1/4 mile advantage will pull slowly and steadily in a freeway race, which is exactly what happened. I am sure that the race would have been a little different if it had started from 130 MPH or so.

As for the respectability of the kill, we are not talking about a 6cyl Mustang rent-a-car here. The Cobra is a respectable performer and, while the SL obviously costs boatloads more, a good race is a good race. If all that we are supposed to do is race vehicles which have a similar cost to ours, then I guess that I will have to give up racing sportbikes with my C32 . I mean, really now, what are we supposed to do, pull up to a guy at a stoplight and ask him for the current Kelley Bluebook on his car?

I can just see it now:

"Sir, before we race, I need to know how many miles are on your car. Also, let me take a look at the interior and do a compression test on your engine. (After doing all of the above) Sorry, we cannot race. Your early 1990's Porsche only retails at $XXXXXX, which is more than a 10% variance from the value of my steed."

Is this really what we want?
Perfectly said. It's like going to a bar, talking trash to someone who is bigger than you and then the bigger guy says "I can't kick your ****... you are too small"

If a cheaper car wants a piece of me then so be it. But be prepared to lose and lose without justification.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
Just for informational purposes:

1. All of the 65 series MBs (stock) are high 11 seconds at best (more commonly low 12).
I've seen 11.5s, correct me if I'm wrong, BUT that bests high 11s.

2. A stock 03-04 Cobra has run as low as 12.5-12.6 (more commonly high 12s).
12.5? You're surely high off of something, a stock Cobra, will never, in it's dreams, DREAM of entering mid 12 territory. That's like saying a stock Cobra can tie, or beat a stock E55. Get real.

I am in no way trying to compare a Cobra to an SL65, or saying that the results of the race should have been different, but I just thought the comment that I quoted was likely made without much 1st hand experience.
1st Hand experience? Well, my son used to drive a 2000 Rustang GT with some mods on it, and let me tell you, it was in the shop, more so than in the garage. I kept on pleading with him to make Power Ford pay half of his monthly payment, since it was in the shop HALF the time.

Mustang = Loud, crap quality, and... loud?

On the contrary, I know FROM first hand-experience.

Do you think maybe he got a Lemon?
Old 09-25-2005, 03:46 AM

2004 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
I believe that it had mods, but the final result was a death blow to the cobra. I have only had this car since friday 09-16 and mustang GT's are constantly running up to me revving their engines. I would like to just line them all up and do this one time so that everyone can take a deep breath and smell my V-12 Biturbo fumes.
I will do a few mods but I really don't care to do anything extreme. My headaches are bad enough
No offense, but the Cobra you ran, if it was an 03-04, was not modded, or at least not with the basic under $2k mods (chip, pulley, intake, exhaust). Your car is a beast, but if you are stock as you indicate you are, you would never pull on a CPIE Cobra as you said you did. I am not saying you didn't do what you claim, but it was a bone stock 03-04 at best. As I am repeating for the 5th time between this forum and SVTPerformance.com, stock SL65s run high 11s at best. Just do the math from my initial post, and you will see that you did not run a pulled 03-04, and pull it by 12 cars from a roll. Again, your car is an amazing piece of machinery that I wish I could justify paying for, but the facts are that you didn't buy a car that is capable of beating a high 11 second car by 12 cars (unless you were racing up to 200 maybe). Also, it is probably not a good idea to lump the Mustang GTs into the same group as the 03-04 Cobras, because they are entirely different machines. As long as you didn't buy your car thinking you would be the fastest around, you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Whatever it was it performed decent , and in the end I was up front. I really don't care to be the fastest car around. Like many other MB owners, If I wanted to buy several Cobras and put every mod in the world on it I could, but that is not my goal. I dont plan on ever using nitrous, or any super tricky stuff. If I was getting paid to race, that would be a different story. My justification for buying the car was because my wife wanted it and I got it for her birthday. That Simple.
I don't think that any true MB owners buy their cars with the desire to only be the fastest car. The MB brand is more about being a top performer without sacrificing the luxuries that come with few top end performance cars. The race happened the way I said it happened, and I only told the story to get a little feed back, not to offend any cobra owners. However, if all was fair and a completely modded out cobra ran into a completely modded out SL65 with both using nitrous, the cobra would go to it's grave in less than 11 seconds. [/B] I can't believe how excited some people get by putting everything in their car including the kitchen sink, and being faster than someone who is running stock or has not went to the extreme that they have in modifying the engine. I raced a cobra in my SL55 and the guy got me for the first half mile or so, and I passed him once we exceeded apprx 120. The guy came up and was friendly, and told me that he was running over 600 horses. My SL55 was stock 493hp. Several of my associates told me that he was possibly using nitrous, and when it burned out and I passed him. I looked down after the race and realized that I was in Winter gear. What really happened I dont know, because I was not inside of his car.

Last edited by DBERRY7578; 09-25-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No offense, but the Cobra you ran, if it was an 03-04, was not modded, or at least not with the basic under $2k mods (chip, pulley, intake, exhaust). Your car is a beast, but if you are stock as you indicate you are, you would never pull on a CPIE Cobra as you said you did. I am not saying you didn't do what you claim, but it was a bone stock 03-04 at best. As I am repeating for the 5th time between this forum and SVTPerformance.com, stock SL65s run high 11s at best. Just do the math from my initial post, and you will see that you did not run a pulled 03-04, and pull it by 12 cars from a roll. Again, your car is an amazing piece of machinery that I wish I could justify paying for, but the facts are that you didn't buy a car that is capable of beating a high 11 second car by 12 cars (unless you were racing up to 200 maybe). Also, it is probably not a good idea to lump the Mustang GTs into the same group as the 03-04 Cobras, because they are entirely different machines. As long as you didn't buy your car thinking you would be the fastest around, you won't be disappointed.
the CL 65 is one of the fastest cars in the world.. period.. the SL 65 even faster..

Go: HERE and down load the three 65 videos and come back here spouting about your Ford being anything other than crap next a stock CL65.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by Lexani
I've seen 11.5s, correct me if I'm wrong, BUT that bests high 11s.

12.5? You're surely high off of something, a stock Cobra, will never, in it's dreams, DREAM of entering mid 12 territory. That's like saying a stock Cobra can tie, or beat a stock E55. Get real.

1st Hand experience? Well, my son used to drive a 2000 Rustang GT with some mods on it, and let me tell you, it was in the shop, more so than in the garage. I kept on pleading with him to make Power Ford pay half of his monthly payment, since it was in the shop HALF the time.

Do you think maybe he got a Lemon?
The Mustang GT is a POS, yet ask your son he knwos it cannot compare to the Cobra. The Cobra has built internals, IRS, 6 speed transmission, a Eaton Supercharger, bigger brakes, and better wheels and tires. a Stock 03/04 can run a 12.5 stock. A Stock Mustang GT engine will have problems with 400 HP, a Cobra engine has run 850 HP stock internals. Ive personally seen a Turbo Terminator Cobra with 800 HP.

That said

SL65>>>03 Cobra. A cobra would need a KB to beat the SL65.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:09 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Evenly matched, Ha HA Ha(oxy moron)meaning mod for mod, the Cobra would need a Carrera GT hidden under the hood to beat the SL65. The Ford GT supercar is more of a comparison with performance to the Sl, but even it can't touch the luxury, and class of a SL. Although the cobra is a excellent performance car for the money, it should never qualify to be mentioned in the same sentence as any performance MB SL500, 600, 55,or 65 other than in a forum like this. These cars are built to attract a different crowd for a different reason. Performance is just one of the reasons that we were attracted us to the Sl 65. The gorgeous look, rarity and class were the other reasons.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Almost a Member!

CL600 2003
I just got a black SL65 on Friday. I traded up from the SL55. I took a little road trip to Miami, and ran into a SVT Cobra. We were cruising at 80, and the cobra got side by side daring me to make a move. I floored it and we took off. The cobra kept up pretty well at first. I then removed the ESP, and we took off again on I-95, and a rather slow death occurred for the old cobra. I looked back and slowed down after I was about 12 car links ahead and we were entering traffic again. I gotta say that I was impressed by the speed of the cobra. After we started to cruise the guy drove up and looked at the V12biturbo badge and said Nice Car. Whats up with the Cobras?
Sunday I was driving my CL600 with RennTech ECU and TCU mods when a guy and girl in a Cobra SVT came up passed me to see if I would give him a run. I need to have my head examined because it is just too tempting to see how well these V12s perform. I was a normal driver until I got this car… I took the challenge after he passed me. I was cruising at about 60 when I punched it. It didn’t take long to pass him and then as I started pass 80 it just kept increasing the distance between the two of us. The next light was coming too fast, turned red so I hit the brakes and the SVT came up next to me. We had a moment to speak and I ask if he had any mods done. I couldn’t hear exactly what he said… something about a supercharger and 406. Anyway, we agreed to give it a try at the light. My thoughts were that based on his wheels and tries that he would have better traction and take me in the hole but that I would start to over run him shortly after. I was wrong; the CL600 took him from the start and kept increasing the distance between us throughout the race. It was actually easier than I expected.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:00 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Awesome kill!! Good job releasing the beast on him.
It's just time for the SL's to smack the Cobra's in the mouth so that the cobra driver's will have so much fear in their hearts that they won't dare bark up the tree of a world class sprinter.

Lets Call it "The cobra smack down". LOL
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 PM

2004 C230K Sport Sedan
[QUOTE=Lexani]12.5? You're surely high off of something, a stock Cobra, will never, in it's dreams, DREAM of entering mid 12 territory. That's like saying a stock Cobra can tie, or beat a stock E55. Get real.

I have seen 12.72. I just read about the 12.5x, so you.

QUOTE]

First hand experience with an 03-04 Cobra because your son had a 2000 GT??? That's like me saying I have first hand experience with the SL65 because I drive the C230K.

My first post was just trying to provide some information on the 03-04 Cobras, and at no time have I said the post is BS or anything like that. It is actually quite humorous to see the similarities between the MB guys responses to my post here and the typical responses from Cobra owners when someone tries to say anything positive about an SRT-4, Evo or STI on one of their forums.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
[QUOTE=03miamisnake]

I have seen 12.72. I just read about the 12.5x, so you.

QUOTE]

First hand experience with an 03-04 Cobra because your son had a 2000 GT??? That's like me saying I have first hand experience with the SL65 because I drive the C230K.

My first post was just trying to provide some information on the 03-04 Cobras, and at no time have I said the post is BS or anything like that. It is actually quite humorous to see the similarities between the MB guys responses to my post here and the typical responses from Cobra owners when someone tries to say anything positive about an SRT-4, Evo or STI on one of their forums.
Before you come trying to show me up, why don't you try to use the quote button?

Regardless, a Ford will be a Ford. My point wasn't to put down the Cobra neccessarily, (although it was a contributing thought) it was to put down Ford in general. Ford, when it comes to quality, I'm sorry, sucks a$$. Hate it or love it, I DO HAVE EXPEIRENCES with Ford, and as far as built quality and stuff of the like, it's pathetic.

And you're wrong, it's not like saying "I have expeirence with an SL65 because I drive C230K blah blah blah" **** you posted, it would be like you driving an SL500 saying you have expeirence with a SL65. Which would be acceptable, not a lot changes from one model to the next, except maybe the engine. Unless they put new NOS buttons or something on the car. Not alot has changed from the 00 Mustang to the 04 Mustang, pull you're head out of you're **** man, Ford sucks. Doesn't matter what year, and it's not a whose faster deal, it's a overall whose better. A Ford will never match a Mercedes, end of story-- And I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest.

I don't care about "typical responces", it has nothing to do with saying something good about the car, I don't care about that-- when it's true, anyways, but I will not stand for lies.

Last edited by Lexani; 09-26-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39

Before you come trying to show me up, why don't you try to use the quote button?

Regardless, a Ford will be a Ford. My point wasn't to put down the Cobra neccessarily, (although it was a contributing thought) it was to put down Ford in general. Ford, when it comes to quality, I'm sorry, sucks a$$. Hate it or love it, I DO HAVE EXPEIRENCES with Ford, and as far as built quality and stuff of the like, it's pathetic.

And you're wrong, it's not like saying "I have expeirence with an SL65 because I drive C230K blah blah blah" **** you posted, it would be like you driving an SL500 saying you have expeirence with a SL65. Which would be acceptable, not a lot changes from one model to the next, except maybe the engine. Unless they put new NOS buttons or something on the car. Not alot has changed from the 00 Mustang to the 04 Mustang, pull you're head out of you're **** man, Ford sucks. Doesn't matter what year, and it's not a whose faster deal, it's a overall whose better. A Ford will never match a Mercedes, end of story-- And I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest.

I don't care about "typical responces", it has nothing to do with saying something good about the car, I don't care about that-- when it's true, anyways, but I will not stand for lies.
Just because you've had first hand experience with the quality of a Ford doesn't mean a Ford can't perform. I'm not a Ford fan, but a Mustang can WHIP a SL65. As a matter of fact, any car can just about kick any other car's rear end. It all depends on how heavily its modded.

And I think a stock '03+ Cobra will keep up with a stock '03+ E55. The E55 at best would beat it one or two car lengths.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by newton22
Just because you've had first hand experience with the quality of a Ford doesn't mean a Ford can't perform. I'm not a Ford fan, but a Mustang can WHIP a SL65. As a matter of fact, any car can just about kick any other car's rear end. It all depends on how heavily its modded.

And I think a stock '03+ Cobra will keep up with a stock '03+ E55. The E55 at best would beat it one or two car lengths.

All this talk about MOD is ridiculous.. I mean what is a top fuel dragster after all? A highly modded Chrysler Hemi? What is a NASCAR racer? A highly moded something...

Ultimately if you thru $$ at a car, you can turn a Honda Civic into a 10 second car in the 1/4 mile.. WHO CARES?

What should matter is the car in it's STOCK configuration PERIOD!

The AMG IS faster than most... and the SL65 is probably in the top 5 fastest cars in the world, and arguably the fastest normal production car made.. The cobra doesn't even appear on the top 20 list...

now lets burry this stupid debate and move on..
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

If this is your belief then you must admit that the superior V12 Biturbo can be modded far beyond a simple Cobra's engine, and that the car can handle speeds that the Cobra will totally come apart at. The issue with this scenario is that Modds especially Nitro can damage engines, and MB owners cant go to the junk yard and find another engine for (I'll say)a economically attractive price, like the mustangs can. Also most MB owners don't run around racing for money. The SL's simply cost too much to play cops and robbers drag racing every day.
However, what a MB owner will do is catch a pumped up hot rod (cobra, camaro,corvette, and other importsi) on I-95 or the turnpike and commence to putting him or her in their place just for the yell of it, for the hell of it.

Whose ya daddy!

Last edited by DBERRY7578; 09-26-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If this is your belief then you must admit that the superior V12 Biturbo can be modded far beyond a simple Cobra's engine, and that the car can handle speeds that the Cobra will totally come apart at. The issue with this scenario is that Modds especially Nitro can damage engines, and MB owners cant go to the junk yard and find another engine for a couple of dollars like the mustangs can. Also most MB owners don't hand on street corners racing for $100.00. The SL's simply cost too much to play cops and robbers drag racing every day.
However, what a MB owner will do is catch a pumped up hot rod on I-95 or the turnpike and commence to putting him in his place just for the yell of it, for the hell of it.

Whose ya daddy!

Just today I was at the local RennTech store getting my car re-tuned.. and I came across a guy with a SL55 and a guy with a SL65.. both knew their cars were lightning fast, but the 55 guy was willing to spend a few $$ to get his car closer to the power of a 65... the 65 guy spend a few $$ on an ECU for about 50hp... and said that's enough! How much more do you need than 750 lb/ft of torque???
Old 09-26-2005, 10:22 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

There is a reason that people say that speed kills. All jokes aside, cars are extremely dangerous, expecially high performace cars. I will not max my car out just to be the fastest guy on the block. That should be left to the guys who hit the tracks, not the highways.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a reason that people say that speed kills. All jokes aside, cars are extremely dangerous, expecially high performace cars. I will not max my car out just to be the fastest guy on the block. That should be left to the guys who hit the tracks, not the highways.
wise words.. recently someone posted a pic of a poor soul who rear ended a parked Semi truck with a Corvette at (I am told 150mph).. that picture would be enough to give many second thoughts about driving period, let alone speeding..
Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63, SLS Black Series, C63 Blackseries
Cobra's aren't that quick compared to the SL 65. You should of slaughtered it. I've seen videos of SL 65 hanging with 700hp cobras. A 500hp keenebell cobra was easily slaughterd by a stock Gallardo which is no as fast as your SL 65. There is a video on www.6speedonline.com some where. Have fun with your car.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Man,

There are a million and one forums.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill