Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Hit the nail on the head...

Originally Posted by CE750
All this talk about MOD is ridiculous.. I mean what is a top fuel dragster after all? A highly modded Chrysler Hemi? What is a NASCAR racer? A highly moded something...

Ultimately if you thru $$ at a car, you can turn a Honda Civic into a 10 second car in the 1/4 mile.. WHO CARES?

What should matter is the car in it's STOCK configuration PERIOD!

The AMG IS faster than most... and the SL65 is probably in the top 5 fastest cars in the world, and arguably the fastest normal production car made.. The cobra doesn't even appear on the top 20 list...

now lets burry this stupid debate and move on..
Exactly!

Everyone with these, pardon my deragatory language, crap cars-- domestic, or otherwise, always seem to think the way to compare vehicles is...

Theirs - modded to the brim
Yours - bone stock

And than when the 1000HP Cobra does beat you, they go all:

"In you're face!"

Like it's a suprise the modded Cobra took a stock SL65.

These people... it's like theres some sort of WOW factor in a modded vehicle beating a stock one!

Hey, Cobra Owners, I got a race for you:

A Brabus EV12 (think massively modded E55) versues a stock '04 Cobra!

Take it or leave it!

Come on now, everyone always brags about that modded Cobra beating stock Mbs, lets flip the script and see how it goes?

Anyone...?

Someone...?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by newton22
Just because you've had first hand experience with the quality of a Ford doesn't mean a Ford can't perform. I'm not a Ford fan, but a Mustang can WHIP a SL65. As a matter of fact, any car can just about kick any other car's rear end. It all depends on how heavily its modded.

And I think a stock '03+ Cobra will keep up with a stock '03+ E55. The E55 at best would beat it one or two car lengths.
No it wont, have you seen the modded cobra vs. the stock E55 at e55amg.com? no? Hurry, run, go check it out and talk after watching it a couple of times... over, and over... the Cobra getting slaughtered, devoured, eaten alive! And thats modded... oh wait, let me make the typical Cobra owner responce when they lose:

"I mis-shifted. I swear it."
Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM

2004 C230K Sport Sedan
[QUOTE=Lexani]
Originally Posted by 03miamisnake

Before you come trying to show me up, why don't you try to use the quote button?

Regardless, a Ford will be a Ford. My point wasn't to put down the Cobra neccessarily, (although it was a contributing thought) it was to put down Ford in general. Ford, when it comes to quality, I'm sorry, sucks a$$. Hate it or love it, I DO HAVE EXPEIRENCES with Ford, and as far as built quality and stuff of the like, it's pathetic.

And you're wrong, it's not like saying "I have expeirence with an SL65 because I drive C230K blah blah blah" **** you posted, it would be like you driving an SL500 saying you have expeirence with a SL65. Which would be acceptable, not a lot changes from one model to the next, except maybe the engine. Unless they put new NOS buttons or something on the car. Not alot has changed from the 00 Mustang to the 04 Mustang, pull you're head out of you're **** man, Ford sucks. Doesn't matter what year, and it's not a whose faster deal, it's a overall whose better. A Ford will never match a Mercedes, end of story-- And I'm not trying to be harsh, just honest.

I don't care about "typical responces", it has nothing to do with saying something good about the car, I don't care about that-- when it's true, anyways, but I will not stand for lies.
Actually, I wasn't trying to show you up, because I did admit that I hadn't seen a 12.5 with my own eyes (and I did use the quote button, but I guess when I was weeding through your post I must have changed something that affected its presentation). But your constructive criticism pertaining to my Internet posting incompetence is appreciated.

All of this nonsense started with me first providing some information about 03-04 Cobras and then I said that I didn't think that the Cobra he pulled by "12 cars" was modded. You are definitely taking things too personally. I was never trying to say anything about Cobras being a better car than the Chrysler SL65. It is just that the 03-04 Cobra has proven to be a good choice of an affordable car with a good deal of performance potential for a lot of people.

Also, exactly what "lies" are you referring to?? I think you meant to say "...but I will not stand for opinions that are different than mine", which is a step in the right direction for you. Keep up the good fight; you'll get there.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 AM

ALPINA B12 5,7 Coupe #22/57

Chrysler SL65. .
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

The 03miamisnake is a little shook up. I saw what your buddies over at svtperformance.com said to you about the awesome SL65. Unlike you, they understand the difference between a Kar and a world class automobile. Maybe if I ever run up on you on 95 or the turnpike I will teach you to respect the AMG brand.

Maybe you are that guy that I killed. LOL

P.S. Don't take this too serious, you may blow a engine. Oh that wouldn't matter, you would just get another one from the local Discount Auto Parts. LOL
Old 09-27-2005, 11:14 AM

2004 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
The 03miamisnake is a little shook up. I saw what your buddies over at svtperformance.com said to you about the awesome SL65. Unlike you, they understand the difference between a Kar and a world class automobile. Maybe if I ever run up on you on 95 or the turnpike I will teach you to respect the AMG brand.

Maybe you are that guy that I killed. LOL

P.S. Don't take this too serious, you may blow a engine. Oh that wouldn't matter, you would just get another one from the local Discount Auto Parts. LOL
At no point did I disrespect AMGs (except possibly with my Chrysler SL65 comment, with which I was blatently being sarcastic). As for being "shook up", that is not the case. I actually find it funny that I write one thing, and you respond as if you are reading something else. Again, I have not one time said anything negative about the 65 or any Benz, so I am not sure where that is coming from. My first post was informational, and then I said that I didn't think your 65 would not have killed a 450-530rwhp Cobra by 12 cars. The only reason I even went there was because there didn't seem to be too much awareness of the 03-04 Cobras on this board (not that there has to be, but in general I would have figured that automotive enthusiasts would be interested).

As for killing me on the highway, I would suspect that you'd get me by a heck of a lot more than 12 carlengths.

Lastly, the Discount Auto Parts comment had me rolling. I think Pep Boys has better prices on the Cobra engines though, and I could pick up a wing and some stickers while I was waiting.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:21 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

It's all in good fun
Old 09-27-2005, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Just the usual internet debacle, no need to get worked up here.

In general, I think some of you think a AMG is faster than an inexpensive domestic sports/muscle/pony car because a AMG is more expensive, has all the luxurious amenities to it and proves to be an symbol of class status. Wrong.

That's like saying a RR Phantom would whip the C6 Z06 on the track. We're talking about performance here, and not the value or quality of the car.

@ lexani: is that the video where the cobra was having traction problems? Alright alright, no excuses, the E55 did outright whip the cobra.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

I guess that if I had a Cobra I would heavily modify it to compete or beat the more expensive sport cars also. But I would also have to know that if the upscale sport cars did the same modification I would end up in the same position that I started, needing binoculars to identify what just flew by at Mach 2. LOL
Old 09-27-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
You can mod a Cobra to have 700+ hp, but just curious, I don't think there are mods on the market to outrageously mod a AMG right? Or wrong?

I would LOVE to see a 1000 hp SL65.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
You can mod a Cobra to have 700+ hp, but just curious, I don't think there are mods on the market to outrageously mod a AMG right? Or wrong?

The thing holding the SL65 back is the Transmission.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
At no point did I disrespect AMGs (except possibly with my Chrysler SL65 comment, with which I was blatently being sarcastic). As for being "shook up", that is not the case. I actually find it funny that I write one thing, and you respond as if you are reading something else. Again, I have not one time said anything negative about the 65 or any Benz, so I am not sure where that is coming from. My first post was informational, and then I said that I didn't think your 65 would not have killed a 450-530rwhp Cobra by 12 cars. The only reason I even went there was because there didn't seem to be too much awareness of the 03-04 Cobras on this board (not that there has to be, but in general I would have figured that automotive enthusiasts would be interested).

As for killing me on the highway, I would suspect that you'd get me by a heck of a lot more than 12 carlengths.

Lastly, the Discount Auto Parts comment had me rolling. I think Pep Boys has better prices on the Cobra engines though, and I could pick up a wing and some stickers while I was waiting.
I think the crux of this debate is the Cobra is having to be severely modded to match (or actually approach) the performance of a bone stock SL65... and the SL is also on top of all of this A MERCEDES, with all of the safety, technology, fit and finish, and prestige that this brings to the table. But you have to have the $189,000 entry fee.. and most of us don't!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=03miamisnake]
Originally Posted by Lexani

Actually, I wasn't trying to show you up, because I did admit that I hadn't seen a 12.5 with my own eyes (and I did use the quote button, but I guess when I was weeding through your post I must have changed something that affected its presentation). But your constructive criticism pertaining to my Internet posting incompetence is appreciated.

All of this nonsense started with me first providing some information about 03-04 Cobras and then I said that I didn't think that the Cobra he pulled by "12 cars" was modded. You are definitely taking things too personally. I was never trying to say anything about Cobras being a better car than the Chrysler SL65. It is just that the 03-04 Cobra has proven to be a good choice of an affordable car with a good deal of performance potential for a lot of people.

Also, exactly what "lies" are you referring to?? I think you meant to say "...but I will not stand for opinions that are different than mine", which is a step in the right direction for you. Keep up the good fight; you'll get there.
I didn't register a word you said, point in case:

You will needed a modded to Cobra, to beat or even come close to a stock SL65. Which is a Mercedes, not a Chrysler. I guess Lamborghinis are now Audis as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus SV12, Brabus EV12-- need I say more? Or do you get the point? If thats not outrageously modded, I don't know what is... maybe that CL that pulls a 100MPH run in under a second... :v
Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
We're comparing cars designed for a freeway system with speed limits in the mid 70's to cars that are designed for a freeway system with no speed limits and where people regularly drive at speeds in excess of 150mph on daily commutes? Is this supposed to be a serious discussion?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:43 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Just kicking around the Cobra's a little.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:07 AM

c43
You could always get the brabus mods that put over 700+ hp with just engine mods alone, and then if you can do the renntech ecu upgrade I think the car should be 800+, but I think the tranny would be blown way earily, those two mods should get you into higher 800s
Old 09-29-2005, 04:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
You could always get the brabus mods that put over 700+ hp with just engine mods alone, and then if you can do the renntech ecu upgrade I think the car should be 800+, but I think the tranny would be blown way earily, those two mods should get you into higher 800s
The RENNtech ECU alone puts your hp on a SL65 @ 670hp.
From then on, it's kinda hard because I don't know what Brabus has for the SL65.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:19 AM

c43
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
The RENNtech ECU alone puts your hp on a SL65 @ 670hp.
From then on, it's kinda hard because I don't know what Brabus has for the SL65.
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/brabus_rocket.asp they say 730hp from brabus, what I don't get anymore is why mercedes does not follow the number line anymore sl65s are not 6.5lt just like how the new c280 is not 2.8lt its 3, I don't understand, are they not following it anymore... someone fill me in
Old 09-29-2005, 04:21 AM

c43
so I guessing you could maybe get it into the low 800s with both mods..
Old 09-29-2005, 06:32 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

800 HP's sound like a death wish in any car, and especially the SL65 !
Old 09-29-2005, 05:16 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Sounds great for racing, but scary if it is your everyday car.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW E39
So no one builts custom heavy duty trannies for these babies?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:01 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

I'll leave my 65 off that list. Being a super car is enough. I don't need a super super car. LOL

Longevity is the key grasshopper.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
I'll leave my 65 off that list. Being a super car is enough. I don't need a super super car. LOL

Longevity is the key grasshopper.
Ah ha! Welcome to the board!
Btw; Nice kill But, This is exactly what I've been looking for. I haven't seen many of the 65's running around these streets. Anyhow, I'd love to get a chance to see it in person and maybe get a chance to play around with the “Uber SL” a little and take some photos *Assuming Break-In is done and over with * Anyways, I'll send you a PM with details and hope that we can arrange something in the near future.

PS: By any chance are you familiar with the Key Biscayne area?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill