Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL65 vs.SVT Cobra Kill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by tuscanraider
Actually my Mercedes had an entire transmission/radiator/torque converter replaced this spring. The car was slightly younger than 20 yrs (its a 2003 actually) but it did have high mileage for a Mercedes now-a-days, 29K, so I expected things to start going wrong.

While the car was in the shop for 3 weeks, i declined a POS loaner and drove the 18yr old GT. Still has the original trans, torque converter, and radiator. Who'd a thunk it huh?

If you can't acknowledge that MB quality is a hair better than dog ****, you're more dense that I thought.

How about the wiper fluid container? You must be still looking for it....
LX or GT Body Style. What year, Im hoping not a caburated 5.0.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
LX or GT Body Style. What year, Im hoping not a caburated 5.0.
1987 GT, no carb....not a demon, but quick enough, and in excellent shape given its age.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
1987 GT, no carb....not a demon, but quick enough, and in excellent shape given its age.

Gears intake exhaust?
Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Man,

this guy is attacking MB owners the way the guys over at SVTperformance.com are attacking. I would rather pay someone else to change my tranny while I enjoy what ever is left of life, and a drink, but then again, maybe I am just too damn simple.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
Actually my Mercedes had an entire transmission/radiator/torque converter replaced this spring. The car was slightly younger than 20 yrs (its a 2003 actually) but it did have high mileage for a Mercedes now-a-days, 29K, so I expected things to start going wrong.
Funny, considering my sons GT was in the shop 3/4 of the time he owned it. I always wondered why he didn't just send the monthly paymenty to Ford since it's in there posession? But, what do I know? I'm sure my son had a lemon-ford... since Ford is just flourishing with there crap-a$$ rust buckets.

A good Ford? Ha, talk about an oxymoron.

While the car was in the shop for 3 weeks, i declined a POS loaner and drove the 18yr old GT. Still has the original trans, torque converter, and radiator. Who'd a thunk it huh?
That's all thats still original? Hmm... what about the steering wheel? Or, since the Fixed Or Repaired Daily is so godly, maybe it even has the same tires? I wouldn't think it need new ones since it doesn't have enough power to hit past 45, much less burn some rubber.

Good thing you declined that POS loaner, I once had a loaner... Fred tells me it's good for drifting.

If you can't acknowledge that MB quality is a hair better than dog ****, you're more dense that I thought.
If you can't get past you're POS vehicle collecting dust in you're garage, you're more pathetic than I thought.

How about the wiper fluid container? You must be still looking for it....
No, thanks to that Ford loving red-neck I paid, I now found it! Thanks again TS!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DBERRY7578
Man,

this guy is attacking MB owners the way the guys over at SVTperformance.com are attacking. I would rather pay someone else to change my tranny while I enjoy what ever is left of life, and a drink, but then again, maybe I am just too damn simple.
I guess we are-- silly us to be privy to such luck. Instead of doing it ourselves, we pay someone else to do it-- what a concept.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by Lexani
Funny, considering my sons GT was in the shop 3/4 of the time he owned it. I always wondered why he didn't just send the monthly paymenty to Ford since it's in there posession? But, what do I know? I'm sure my son had a lemon-ford... since Ford is just flourishing with there crap-a$$ rust buckets.

A good Ford? Ha, talk about an oxymoron.

That's all thats still original? Hmm... what about the steering wheel? Or, since the Fixed Or Repaired Daily is so godly, maybe it even has the same tires? I wouldn't think it need new ones since it doesn't have enough power to hit past 45, much less burn some rubber.

Good thing you declined that POS loaner, I once had a loaner... Fred tells me it's good for drifting.

If you can't get past you're POS vehicle collecting dust in you're garage, you're more pathetic than I thought.

No, thanks to that Ford loving red-neck I paid, I now found it! Thanks again TS!

Hey your son got a lemon..it happens. I got a MB lemon too, what can i do? Yeah all that stuff is stock, and of course the steering wheel is too....only about 45K now so it should be. My C-class should be ready to be turned into a dishwasher at about that mileage. Who's gonna want it in 20 yrs? It'll never be a collectable like a Camaro, Vette, Mustang anyway.

You are unique indeed. I think you may be the only one on the forum that believes MB makes a quality built car. Mercedes must have given you a vintage bottle of '78 Jim Jones Kool-Aid, to have you believe that, and try to convince others of it.

I'm not sure MB had anything in 1987 that resembled a sports car other than the 560SL. In any event most of the MB line-up in the late 80's were diesel belching road barges with no athletic ability.

Paying a Ford loving red-neck to find your wiper fluid tank shows your automotive intellect....confirming what most of us expected.

I think you confuse the idea of "ability." Just becasue you have the 'ability' to swap a head gasket doesn't mean you acquired that ability out of necessity. Some people can afford to own a Mercedes, Dodge, Ford etc and have the 'ability' to work on them. Not to save money but rather as a hobby, pass time, etc...You sir may have the financial ability, but apparently the technical side waved "bye-bye" to you long ago.

Don't worry you're not alone, there are many MB bozos. How do you think MB service departments stay in business. You'd have to be a stamped, certified 'tard to bring your car to the dealer for routine work.

You cheated in finding the wiper tank, now look for your gas cap. I'll give you a hint; its round and not under the hood. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey your son got a lemon..it happens. I got a MB lemon too, what can i do? Yeah all that stuff is stock, and of course the steering wheel is too....only about 45K now so it should be. My C-class should be ready to be turned into a dishwasher at about that mileage. Who's gonna want it in 20 yrs? It'll never be a collectable like a Camaro, Vette, Mustang anyway.
Collectable? Oh yeah, looks just like the couple 100 I see a day... they must all be collectables. I must get me one too.

You are unique indeed. I think you may be the only one on the forum that believes MB makes a quality built car. Mercedes must have given you a vintage bottle of '78 Jim Jones Kool-Aid, to have you believe that, and try to convince others of it.
No, just regular Kool-Aid. I'm terribly partial to strawberry you see.

I'm not sure MB had anything in 1987 that resembled a sports car other than the 560SL. In any event most of the MB line-up in the late 80's were diesel belching road barges with no athletic ability.
The Ford T-Model wasn't really fast either.

Paying a Ford loving red-neck to find your wiper fluid tank shows your automotive intellect....confirming what most of us expected.
Non sense, it just shows I'd rather not do it-- at most I'm lazy.

I think you confuse the idea of "ability." Just becasue you have the 'ability' to swap a head gasket doesn't mean you acquired that ability out of necessity. Some people can afford to own a Mercedes, Dodge, Ford etc and have the 'ability' to work on them. Not to save money but rather as a hobby, pass time, etc...You sir may have the financial ability, but apparently the technical side waved "bye-bye" to you long ago.
So it would seem. I actually have a different pass-time than knowing the in-n-outs of autos; it's called the 360. See, instead of me finding my crankshaft, that red-neck can do it for me so I have free time to do things I find enjoyable.. like watching a movie in my home theatre.

Don't worry you're not alone, there are many MB bozos. How do you think MB service departments stay in business. You'd have to be a stamped, certified 'tard to bring your car to the dealer for routine work.
So, how does the Ford service departments stay in buisness? Playing with their thumbs?

You cheated in finding the wiper tank, now look for your gas cap. I'll give you a hint; its round and not under the hood. Good Luck!!!
Gameshark-- nothing to it; can I refer to my users manual? The Gas Cap is dreadful ugly thing, I've only needed to use it this once.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by Lexani
Collectable? Oh yeah, looks just like the couple 100 I see a day... they must all be collectables. I must get me one too.

I see many beat up POS BMW's and MB's every day too; so what? Out of the 100 mustangs you see everyday how many are in "collectable" shape? Probably 0-1, thus proving my point. One in good shape is rare indeed.

No, just regular Kool-Aid. I'm terribly partial to strawberry you see.

The Ford T-Model wasn't really fast either.

also wasn't made in 1987. What did MB have in '87 that was REMOTELY sporty? The 560 was a tired dog.

Non sense, it just shows I'd rather not do it-- at most I'm lazy.

So it would seem. I actually have a different pass-time than knowing the in-n-outs of autos; it's called the 360. See, instead of me finding my crankshaft, that red-neck can do it for me so I have free time to do things I find enjoyable.. like watching a movie in my home theatre.

Subjective

So, how does the Ford service departments stay in buisness? Playing with their thumbs?

dumbass Ford owners keep 'em goin'. Going to the dealership is always a foolish decision. Certified techs can be found at independent shops.

Gameshark-- nothing to it; can I refer to my users manual? The Gas Cap is dreadful ugly thing, I've only needed to use it this once.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Subjective. Most certaintly. I must admit, I thought I had you figured out-- but, you are indeed clever. It is subjective, it really boils down to what we'd rather do. I'd rather drive my vehicle, than work on it. Others, visa versa, or both.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Even if I wanted to fix mine I couldn't. Like my gradmother always said " Boy those hands aren't good for anything but holding a pencil" LOL
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
@ Lexani: hehe, but a model t was produced wayy back when. $20 says an average automobile from the year 2050 will outperform a current C55. :p
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01 AM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

You have a bet. I'll see you in 2050. Premature notice-Please forgive the alzheimers. LOL
Old 12-12-2005, 02:34 PM

Tuscanraider, I find your assumptions about MB owners to be pretty damn insulting. Some people buy their cars for performance, others buy them for style, comfort and luxury. Then there are those that buy them for a mixture of both.
The price-performance argument you Rustang boys seem to be making is pretty ridiculous to me, seeing as though you're talking about a car that can only really go in a straight line. They have primitive suspensions with poor geometry and lousy weight distribution.
And implying that all MB owners are clueless about the inner workings of their automobiles is equally stupid. Has it ever occured to you that some of us may be Mechanical Engineers holding a Masters in Thermodynamics specifically related to 4 stroke internal combustion engines? Or that maybe there's an MB owner that has competed for 5 years in Formula SAE as a member of a team that places in the top 10 GLOBALLY? Or maybe this same person also owns a 13BRE Miata which he HAND BUILT himself, including designing an all new suspension from 4130 steel from scratch, full carbon fibre body with 200mm fender flares to accomodate the 9.5" front 10.5" rear wheels (i vacuum packed all the panels myself), lexan windows and a frame that I spent 4 months designing and doing a complete finite element analysis on to determine the strain distribution across its entire geometry.

I'm not even gonna start on what I did to the 13BRE, but I dyno tune after every 3 track days and she put down a healthy 585whp last time. If you knew anything about rotaries, you'd know that I'm running a VERY conservative tune with the kind of power curve I need for auto-x and road racing. These same motors put down 900+whp EFFORTLESSLY. All this in a car of about 2200lbs stock, 1650lbs after I was done with it, fuel cell full to the brim, with me in it. Please, I invite you or any of your american car loving friends to BRING IT. Quite frankly though, I don't even know if I'd even bother against anything less than a C6 Z06 with some promising suspension and power upgrades. And for that guy that was trash talking Evos, I know of atleast TWO 8's that I fool around with every couple of weeks that will take him up on his offer.

Look forward to next year when my 1992 500SL comes out from the garage. She will be black, she will be stick, and she will be putting out ATLEAST 800whp. All custom, all designed and fabricated by me. No E-bay ****. This is how I roll.

Sigh... I was just browsing this forum to track down a spare block and head to play with, but your ignorance forced me to register and post. Apologies to the regulars and moderators for the angry rant.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:51 PM

c43
Originally Posted by boo_for_auto
Look forward to next year when my 1992 500SL comes out from the garage. She will be black, she will be stick, and she will be putting out ATLEAST 800whp. All custom, all designed and fabricated by me. No E-bay ****. This is how I roll.
you appear to know much about what you are doing, and I myself feel that I am not a complete dolt with regard to motors, but 800rwhp from a 500sl? I just don't see how that is possible, all I could think of doing was if you bored the hell out of it (6.3lts) raised the rpm, forged everything, and upgraded all internal aspects most of which I don't know about, and lowered the compression ratio so you could slap on a kompressor with a good amount of boost, I still don't see it getting past mid to high 600s at crank, I am very interested on how you could get 800 rwhp, i respectfully ask how this is possible because iI have no clue, more importantly, how much would that cost, and how long would it take? I mean nothing mercedes or amg or brabus or renntech could do would match that, hell even if you had one of those v12 engines took it to brabus and then renntech you would nothing be able to get that much rwhp not even close, what are you doing that these tuners can't? and lastly how much could you get out of the older v12s the ones found in the 02 sl600s and 99 s600s
Old 12-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Well for one, I'm gonna have some fun making room in the engine bay first. I already moved my Miata to my friend's garage last week so that I can get work started on the Benz. This is my first MB, got it this summer. I hail from a long line of Nissans and Mazdas, so it should be interesting. I'll be pulling the engine this week if I'm not too busy, too many people bother me every day
The basic idea is that I'm going with something a lot more simple than my previous projects since this is going to be a daily driver for me. Pretty much, I'm looking at a twin turbo setup. I'm still going to pulse tune the manifolds, and swain coat them, but I won't be coating the internals on this car. Or maybe I will, depends how much it'll cost me. I'm 24 and my cars eat up all my money so I'm not too sure. For internals, I'm still looking into some pistons, I don't really build my own.... I don't own a forging plant. I wish I did, but we all have our wishes
I don't know, I don't see the 800whp as the problem. For me right now the problem is making enough room to accomodate the manifolds, turbos, intercoolers, piping, etc...
If all else fails, I'll put something else in But I have faith in the V8, I'll do my utmost to stick with it, since I do want this car to be 90+% original. It doesn't befit a Benz to rice it out if you know what I mean.

EDIT:
Had to go take care of something, sorry for the brief reply.
Now, where was I? Internally, the stock compression is way too high to run the kind of boost I want (bout 2 bar, give or take ) The rods are being replaced guaranteed, and the whole bottom end needs to be balanced and bullnosed to cut through the oil more effectively. I doubt I'll bother converting it to a dry sump, unless I absolutely have to (it's not that easy..) The pistons going in will be 8.5:1 and a slight overbore, I haven't calculated what I want out of it yet, but it will likely be just a slight overbore as I don't want to spend too much re-sleeving the damn thing. Standard rebuild things like honing the block as well, and heat treating it to lessen the likelihood of it cracking. Cams will have to be ground and shimmed to spec, and I forsee slight troubles with obtaining valve springs and retainers, because I highly doubt there's much of a tuner market for this motor. Another thing that might be a problem is the lifters... I don't know too much about this motor, but it sounds like it's running hydraulic lifters (or rather.. doesn't sound like solid ones ) so I'll have to make my own solid lifters for it. When dealing with hydraulic ones, the motor will be prone to valve float at higher rpm. I think I know who can supply me with the right kind of valves for this job, and I'll likely do the valve seats and rest of the headwork myself.

It's really difficult for me to list what I'm going to do to it, since I don't even know myself yet. My usual process is:
1.) Decide what I want out of it.
2.) Tear it apart.
3.) See what needs improvement.
4.) Improve the above
I'll most likely document this project, and I'll post it here with some process pics too to kinda give people a general idea of what went down with this car.
The reason why this is harder for me to do than other cars I've done before, is that this will be the first I'm building as a daily driver. I'm pretty sure all the fancy electronic stability crap (if this model even has it?) are gonna go, along with ABS and A/C (what? it's a convertible :p), but I'll most likely keep power steering and maybe a stereo of some sort.
With the Miata and my previous 240SX I had an easier time, because I simply stripped the car to the bone and started from there. It's also a lot easier to work that way since you don't have useless things like... an interior... a dashboard, body panels, etc.. getting in your way

edit x2: I really wouldn't know about the older V12s. They are easier to turbo I would assume, but I doubt the weight gains of going to the V12 from the V8 would be worthwhile. Besides, a V12 is just one of those engines you LOVE to hear in naturally aspirated form. I didn't really hand pick this car to be my ultimate driving machine, I kind of bought it because I needed something classier to bring to work, I've always LOVED how they look and my family doctor just happened to have one for sale. I swore I'd leave it stock when I got it but..... you know how that goes

Last edited by boo_for_auto; 12-12-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:36 PM

SL65/BENTLEY GT
Cool

Now thats a mouth full.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

'05 C55 AMG '15 Jeep SRT '11 G37S
Whoa. That was one fast Cobra!.......had to be modded a bit......
Old 12-15-2005, 12:04 AM

'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
This post IS exciting haha...

The SL65 won. Period.

Both Mercedes and Ford has their ups and downs...it's all in what you want.

I have a 97 E420 Sport. It has had a wheel bearing shake and the rear left window went down and never came back up. But still rides beautifully and is solid as a rock.

I also have a 99 Mustang GT with a KB on it sporting 420rwhp that can run 12.5sec in the 1/4 and that is fast enough for my tastes..because I don't have the $ to get another engine and know that if I go over 450rwhp it will go boom. But I also know my car was $22k out the door back in 99 and now with $5k for the KB plus other things. Definitely a fun torque vehicle for that price. It never has had one single problem.

Then, I also have an 88 MR2 that I got for $1k and it will outcorner both the Benz and the Stang day and night with stock suspension..but it's my daily driver and powerwise it's a slug.

And if we want to talk about cars that can hold gobs of hp..let's just look at the Supra. It can hold 1000hp on stock motor and transmission..does that make it better than the SL65 then?

Once again..SL65 won..cool!