Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

CLK430 vs. C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
CLK430 vs. C43

Just got home from getting gas. On the way to the station I saw a C43 (AMG C class with basically my engine but tuned by AMG w/ cams, exhaust, intake, etc and pushes over 300hp/300tq) and he was giving me dirty looks. Too bad he's going the other way I thought to myself. When Im leaving the gas station I pull up to a light and guess who's sitting at the light? It was too perfect to resist. It was some persian fob guy blasting his persian music. I can tell what he was thinking: "Ooh look at me, i got de amg, vat u tink?" Since I am persian myself and I know how FOB's act I knew he was gonna gun it as soon as it turned green, plus he jumped a little early when the left turn signal turned green so I knew he was ready. Light turns green, I get a tiny bit of wheel spin and whats this? Im slowly walkin the dude. This whole time he's lookin over in disbelief and im just giving him the no no Motumbo (sp?). So after I hit about 120 and slow down he does a ricer fly by but I catch him at the next light. Repeat of last time but ths time when I was turning he gave me a thumbs up. Felt good to beat an AMG with those heavy *** wheels, even though its a C class. I must be doing something right.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
It would be a pretty close race on paper anyways, although between 2 different occaisons of running against a 208 '430, I pulled noticeably once (from a dead stop), and didn't gain any noticeable ground the second time when we went from a 55-60 mph roll (up into triple digits). That said, if he had big heavy rims (like a lot of guys do) any passengers, or basically anything that would hamper the car's performance, I could see why the outcome would be in your favor. The C43 only has a small advantage in power/weight (something like .05 of a %). Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the C43 has slightly better gearing than the CLK430, which might make the difference in the 0-60 sprint. Like I observed on the freeway, up high I really didn't have much of an advantage.....he pretty much stuck with me all the way to the point where we both wussed out. I would think that I should have slowly started pulling on him, but I never really noticed that at those speeds. Oh yeah, if he had ESP on, it very well could have killed his launch. It is a pretty intrusive system, and it can be very difficult to get a good launch from a dig w/ it on. Anyways, good kill!

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 05-03-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some
i raced a 430 twice in the SL
the first time was from a roll (30) and i owned it. the second time was off the line and i rouned him, gave the thumbs up and that was it. nice guy, turns out that he is my neighbor i hope he dont tell mom!!

oh it was a cab. and i launched it. and i had my hardtop and a person.
and you know my mods.. well you should by now.

mark
Old 05-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Well I was the one with the heavy wheels (19's). My car is not stock. Renntech intake w/ green filters, evilsport ignition, speedtuning ECU tuning, and eisenmann race exhaust.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

some
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Well I was the one with the heavy wheels (19's). My car is not stock. Renntech intake w/ green filters, evilsport ignition, speedtuning ECU tuning, and eisenmann race exhaust.

ah. that WIll help.
mark
Old 05-04-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
You schooled him TWICE.... Heh, heh, heh..... Keepin' it locked down in G'burg.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Beater
Everything was great until you got to the FOB part? I guess being an Americanized Iranian makes you better than a Fresh Off Boat Iranian.

Last edited by XPRO.US; 05-04-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by XPRO.US
Everything was great until you got to the FOB part? I guess being an Americanized Iranian makes you better than a Fresh Off Boat Iranian.
I see that you are a FOB. I am just stating a fact that he was a FOB and using my personal experience to judge how he was gonna act. And I was right. Dont turn this into a political debate, its a car forum . And just so you know, I was born and raised in America so I dont know if that makes me an "Americanized Iranian".
Old 05-04-2006, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I guess being an Americanized Iranian makes you better than a Fresh Off Boat Iranian.
Being an American ANYTHING makes you better than a fresh off the boat something.I sure hope you're not an illegal immigrant protesting about your "right" to be here.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Being an American ANYTHING makes you better than a fresh off the boat something.I sure hope you're not an illegal immigrant protesting about your "right" to be here.
uh oh....haha.....I have a feeling things are about to get ugly in here. But I would personally rather run the border in a C43 than a CLK.....easier to get out w/ 4 doors
Old 05-04-2006, 06:25 PM

A Beater
No, this is not a political debate. Yes, you are considered an American of an Iranian decent. You're absolutely right with this forum being a car forum. It is not cool when you throw derogatory terms such as FOB, freely and condescendently. Are you not a person of Iranian decent? I don't see any indications that one Iranian is better than another even after you throw in the term "FOB". Maybe you got a better car than the FOB or you are a better Iranian American because you speak better English than the FOB. I guess this is common among your ethnicity, and you can read in the World News on the net every day. We will annihilate United State if attacked because we are the "GREAT" Children of the Persian Empire that existed eh.... thousands of years ago? I respect a person having a sense of pride in his or her ethnicity, but it is not right when pride turns in to arrogance, and then applied to discriminate against other ethnicity or even your own people. Your personal experience is bigotry, and you already believed that you are better than the FOB because you know how they act. Believe it or not, there are a lot of FOBS that drives Much Better Cars than you. Does that make the FOB better than you because his car is better than yours?

Just my .02 because I noticed this is common among "Iranians" even with my Iranian friends back in college.

Last edited by XPRO.US; 05-04-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:20 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
Don't take it to heart. If you're not a "FOB" your mom, grandmother, or grandfather and so on was...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
Old 05-05-2006, 10:05 AM

A Beater
Originally Posted by 55 ON IT
Don't take it to heart. If you're not a "FOB" your mom, grandmother, or grandfather and so on was...

You sir is one wise man...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Why are you getting so pissed off? And no just cuz someone drives a better car doesnt mean they are a better person. I never indicated that I was better than the FOB, just said that he was a FOB judging by his demeanor. Now if you're mad cuz I call an apple an apple or an orange an orange, then you have problems! Im proud of my iranian heritage and I certainly have nothing to prove to some random person on the internet.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:45 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
You sir is one wise man...
You sir are an idiot..Grow some ***** and stop having a vagina attack. I was attempting to make light of the subject and come to your defense. But, you seem to have multiple problems besides having that stick lodged up your backside.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:59 AM

A Beater
I am coming to rescue all the FOBs except the annoying ones.... Good night...
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I thought FOB meant Friends Of Bill....Clinton.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Those seemingly small mods done to your car (Greens, R.Tech airbox, exhaust,) etc......make a difference. I would say your CLK430 puts down more than a stock C43 at this point.

I have been told by a very reputable tunner that the only difference with the C43 and 430 engines is the airbox???? I personally thought the AMG 4.3 had different cams and maybe somethin else.....I hope it does as I own one...and would have bought a CLK 430 if true.

If it's true about the airbox only, than the AMG airbox picks up 27hp. C43 302hp vs. CLK430 275...Something any 430 owner should consider adding.

FOB???? Why do people get sooo beat about things. I think it's imature. I mean if your off of a boat your off of a boat. BFD. Make fun of me for being Irish...fine...I'm Irish. No biggie.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
If it's true about the airbox only, than the AMG airbox picks up 27hp. C43 302hp vs. CLK430 275...Something any 430 owner should consider adding.
No airbox by itself can add 27hp.....just ain't happening.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Those seemingly small mods done to your car (Greens, R.Tech airbox, exhaust,) etc......make a difference. I would say your CLK430 puts down more than a stock C43 at this point.

I have been told by a very reputable tunner that the only difference with the C43 and 430 engines is the airbox???? I personally thought the AMG 4.3 had different cams and maybe somethin else.....I hope it does as I own one...and would have bought a CLK 430 if true.

FOB???? Why do people get sooo beat about things. I think it's imature. I mean if your off of a boat your off of a boat. BFD. Make fun of me for being Irish...fine...I'm Irish. No biggie.
no offense man, but you have been misled. The combination of filters and airbox might add a small improvement (+3-5 HP), and the exhuast likely made things worse (i.e, probably negated any improvement from the other two mods). I would say it was either a weight thing, a launch problem w/ the C43, or just a driver's race....reactions, etc. It would take serious mods to bump the CLK's engine up to the HP performance of the AMG 4.3. But forget HP anyways....the big issue here is torque, which is nearly equal between the two engines. At the stoplight, this is really what counts....which might be a reason why the race was so close.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
no offense man, but you have been misled. The combination of filters and airbox might add a small improvement (+3-5 HP), and the exhuast likely made things worse (i.e, probably negated any improvement from the other two mods). I would say it was either a weight thing, a launch problem w/ the C43, or just a driver's race....reactions, etc. It would take serious mods to bump the CLK's engine up to the HP performance of the AMG 4.3. But forget HP anyways....the big issue here is torque, which is nearly equal between the two engines. At the stoplight, this is really what counts....which might be a reason why the race was so close.
Bud.....It does not take serious mods to bring a CLK430 motor up to a C43. Last I heard also was that the Renntech Airbox was a sick piece to install that I hope would yield more than 3 to 5 HP. I own a C43 and yeah its fast....but don't fool yourself. If you can't take my word for it contact Josh from House of Power. I think he knows a little bit. Maybe he can shine some light on it for you. I watched him dyno and and fool with two CLK430's and explain in length both automobiles. This isn't **** I just made up in my head. The cars just aren't as fast as most owners think they are.............sorry man.

About the AMG mods....I still don't know what produces the extra 27HP from the 430 engine. Josh from HOP claims airbox only....I read elsewhere it's cams etc....
Old 05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by C43AMG
No airbox by itself can add 27hp.....just ain't happening.
I wouldn't think so either...as I said I thought it was additional internal mods like cams etc....it's just that the in person statement of airbox only came from someone with ALOT more know how than myself.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW and Mercedes
Bud.....It does not take serious mods to bring a CLK430 motor up to a C43. Last I heard also was that the Renntech Airbox was a sick piece to install that I hope would yield more than 3 to 5 HP. I own a C43 and yeah its fast....but don't fool yourself. If you can't take my word for it contact Josh from House of Power. I think he knows a little bit. Maybe he can shine some light on it for you. I watched him dyno and and fool with two CLK430's and explain in length both automobiles. This isn't **** I just made up in my head. The cars just aren't as fast as most owners think they are.............sorry man.

About the AMG mods....I still don't know what produces the extra 27HP from the 430 engine. Josh from HOP claims airbox only....I read elsewhere it's cams etc....
I'm in no dream world where the C43 is the fastest thing on the planet. But people (yourself included) often greatly overestimate the gains from bolt on mods. These cars are not POS Fords with under-engineered engine components. There is a reason why the stock airbox is the shape that it is.....go talk to one of the Mercedes engineers and tell him that he doesn't deserve his paycheck because he can't design an intake as well as some aftermarket tuner with 1/1000 of the budget. There is an explanation of what differences there are between the 2 engines over on mercedesshop that was interesting....I'll try and find it, but its getting late right now. The C43 engine isn't quite as "tuned" as say the m104 in the C36, but it is more than just an airbox. You might notice that when tuners like Renntech and Kleeman add airboxes, it is in conjunction with ECU modifications and (often) headers and exhaust. All of these things modify the engine's operating characteristics, hence necissitating a modified airbox to improve airflow. I will agree with the air filter, that in theory it can open up blocked flow to the engine, but I'm not convinced in most cases about aftermarket airboxes. I'd like to see the dyno pulls that show these mods giving the CLK a gain of 27 HP. I'm not saying it would be "hard" to bring the '430 up to the specs of the '43, but its not going to just be from an airbox, exhaust and filter

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 05-09-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Well to my knowledge the C43 has different cams, airbox, and exhaust (maybe headers as well). CLK430 has 275hp/295tq and the C43 has 302hp/302tq according to edmunds.com Now with the mods I have I would assume it would put me over 300hp/300tq quite easily. The ECU tuning by itself claims to bump hp to 300hp. Although renntech claims that the airbox in combination with the ECU only produces 298hp/321tq. Just for fun I checked the results for the same mods (renntech airbox and ECU) on a C43 and it amazingly adds a claimed 25hp/32tq! Now I know real life results rarely produce the claimed results but I assume the other mods put me over 300. I heard that the bigger airbox does produce alot of power but all this stuff is just word of mouth until I see a dyno. Ive heard good and bad things about Eisenmann exhaust in terms of performance. I believe they claim a 10-15% increase in hp for the race version of the exhaust. I have heard stories that it actually reduces power. All I know is it sounds DAMN good! The evilsport wires and plugs just felt like it gave me slightly better response, not really any more pulling power (according to the seat of my pants test). Another thing that could have given me the edge is that my front end has been lightened a little bit. Fiberglass front bumper and fenders as well as a carbon fiber hood.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 05-09-2006 at 05:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK430 vs. C43