Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E46 M3 vs SLK 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Hmm sounds like a buncha newbs complainging about my sig ( i could care less) Look in the w126 thread and you will see a pic of my car if you really want to see it that bad ( although they are not updated pics with new mods) and pics of women i know ? this is the internet...post a picture of your female friends in your sig, see how they like that.

Last edited by egxpimp; 07-23-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:55 AM
M&M

Hey guys, I'm the driver of the M3. You guys are correct, it is not stock. Howver, power-wise it is. It makes the same power as other stock M3's on the dyno. We have quite a few guys online here that can vouch for that as I have been to a few dyno days.

I have the 4.1 ratio in my stock diff, K&N flat panel filter, & Schnitzer backbox (which makes no power). The SLK did have a passenger but the main problem is the auto box. Rolling in auto mode, it sometimes kicks down when you stomp it which takes a few tenths.

All the while the M3 with its instantaneous, hair-trigger throttle response (especiallly with the 4.1 diff), gets an quick jump. If often looks like the M3 is going 1st, but I wasn't. That's simple the nature of racing an individual throttle-bodied, short ratio'd, manual car with a frenetic power delivery.

The other thing to remember is we have euro spec M3's here. 252kw vs the 265kw of the SLK55. But if you dyno down to the wheels, the M3 has less losses due to the manual gearbox (no torque converter), shorter ratios, 100% LSD, etc. So they make similar power on the wheels, but the M3 has the better curve for racing as its power peak is right at the redline. The torque advantage is negated in a race as no-one races at 3000rpm.

Here's some more pics. Excuse the Adult world, Sole wanted a blow up doll for his birth day

Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88 Caddy on 28's
Nice

Originally Posted by M&M
Hey guys, I'm the driver of the M3. You guys are correct, it is not stock. Howver, power-wise it is. It makes the same power as other stock M3's on the dyno. We have quite a few guys online here that can vouch for that as I have been to a few dyno days.

I have the 4.1 ratio in my stock diff, K&N flat panel filter, & Schnitzer backbox (which makes no power). The SLK did have a passenger but the main problem is the auto box. Rolling in auto mode, it sometimes kicks down when you stomp it which takes a few tenths.

All the while the M3 with its instantaneous, hair-trigger throttle response (especiallly with the 4.1 diff), gets an quick jump. If often looks like the M3 is going 1st, but I wasn't. That's simple the nature of racing an individual throttle-bodied, short ratio'd, manual car with a frenetic power delivery.

The other thing to remember is we have euro spec M3's here. 252kw vs the 265kw of the SLK55. But if you dyno down to the wheels, the M3 has less losses due to the manual gearbox (no torque converter), shorter ratios, 100% LSD, etc. So they make similar power on the wheels, but the M3 has the better curve for racing as its power peak is right at the redline. The torque advantage is negated in a race as no-one races at 3000rpm.

Here's some more pics. Excuse the Adult world, Sole wanted a blow up doll for his birth day

Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
autobox

Like I said ... the way he should have raced you was first put it in S mode ... not manual mode. My car is in S mode all the time except when I'm driving fast in the hills.

2nd while you guys are beeping the horn ... he should push in the left downshift button on the steering wheel and hold it. It takes 1-2 secs for the auto to pick the lowest gear for the speed your going at. By the time you hit the 3rd beep he will be in the lowest gear. If your in S mode ... all he needs to do is stomp on it and the gearbox will upshift as necessary. Don't forget there are 7 gears in the auto. Its not enough just to shift to a gear that is around 3k or 4k rpm. (if you insist on using M mode)

I don't doubt that you guys raced ...

All I'm saying is that the weight of the 2nd passenger and his way of racing you were detrimental to the mercedes in that particular race.

Why don't you try it again with my suggestions? Have the same guy still sit in the SLK. And instead of changing drivers in the 2nd set ... just have the video guy move to the M3.

Be safe and have fun.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:24 AM
Banned

F248 F1
^^ Jesse, haha it already seems like they are having plenty of fun

Just keep it safe guys ! Enjoy your rides-both are beatiful !
Old 07-23-2006, 05:42 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
new rear diff ratio makes a lot of difference. my friend's E36 M3 with the auto diff is a lot quicker than another friend's stock manual diff until really high speed.

and thought you have a silver M3 from your previous posts.

and pull up the top of the SLK and try again. all of us know top down with convertibles creates crap load of drag.

edit: that video of the CSL vs SLK55 does work and the CSL was only pulling on the SLK55 by the same length seen in the first post.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-23-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 AM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
Like I said ... the way he should have raced you was first put it in S mode ... not manual mode. My car is in S mode all the time except when I'm driving fast in the hills.

2nd while you guys are beeping the horn ... he should push in the left downshift button on the steering wheel and hold it. It takes 1-2 secs for the auto to pick the lowest gear for the speed your going at. By the time you hit the 3rd beep he will be in the lowest gear. If your in S mode ... all he needs to do is stomp on it and the gearbox will upshift as necessary. Don't forget there are 7 gears in the auto. Its not enough just to shift to a gear that is around 3k or 4k rpm. (if you insist on using M mode)

I don't doubt that you guys raced ...

All I'm saying is that the weight of the 2nd passenger and his way of racing you were detrimental to the mercedes in that particular race.

Why don't you try it again with my suggestions? Have the same guy still sit in the SLK. And instead of changing drivers in the 2nd set ... just have the video guy move to the M3.

Be safe and have fun.
]

If you knew your car well, you'd knew that you can get it in manual mode, even whilst in sport

I did this numerous times. Select sport mode, then click the downshift button. Hey presto the gear I want for the roll is selected. From there on if I DON'T CLICK THE BUTTON THE CAR WILL STILL SHIFT ITSELF. Go try it then try and lecture me on how to race. There isn't even any skill in racing an auto.

I never asked M&M if he had any other mods, only asked engine-wise. Seems he was honest about that. I didn't ask about the diff. My bad. I did ask about the exhaust and he says that all he has is a ACS backbox, which seems to be the case. I've raced a stock CSL though, check the videos above. M&M has raced the CSL too and lost.

The thing is you people over there in teh USA think that all races that happen there will turn out the same way in the rest of the world. Guess not. Your M3's will get owned by our spec M3's. Simple as that.

Also, an M3 in powerband isn't something to scoff at. SLK's massive torque means jack **** as you approach red line as it has by then already dropped off quite a bit. Also the 7G's ratio's are utter ****e. The E60 M5 also has 7 gears but it always shifts right into powerband, unlike the SLK's ratios which are way too tall after 3rd gear.

More things to consider as M&M said - the SLK 55 dyno's the same as the M3's here because the M3's have the more efficient powertrain. Couple this to the slow shifting Auto in the SLK (YES even in sport mode), and the passenger in the SLK, and what's so hard to believe. You know how many M3 drivers I've beaten in my 130i? LOTS. But I don't brag about them because most guys don't have the talent and/or ***** to exploit the M3. Not everyone enjoys shifting at 8000rpm right on the limiter. Which is fine, but then don't race your M3.

Getting an M3 to go fast is something that requires a bit of skill, in the SLK it isn't. We aren't talking SMG M3's here btw. Lastly, I'll post a vid later of a standing start. The SLK gets a bit of a lead on the launch due to the extra torque, but then the M3 comes past.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Your link doesn't work & even if it did, we have zero idea of what mods (if any) were done to either of the cars. Use official (ie a real track) statistics, not two monkeys in an uncontrolled environment racing one another (we don't know driver skill, what car mods, etc may have been done on the cars)?

And, pls pay attention to the drag strip track link I listed above? The big bad M3 CSL ran a 13.2 Quarter....it would get pulled by an SLK55.

I raced an M3 in my RX-7 - that thing got absolutely toasted (it was not as quick as an SLK55 - which BTW, I have also raced in the RX-7). The M3 was about as quick as Camaro SS. The SLK55 was about as quick as a new C6. This would tend to support physics & published acceleration statistics.

The M3 is a nice car & there is more to life than straight line acceleration. However, it just isn't as quick as an SLK55 in this particular metric.

-Matt
Blah blah blah, what a bunch of
That link I posted works just fine!

Edited to add: I own the CSL in question, and it's standard.

I take it you live in the US? If so I stand to be corrected, but your E46 M3 is less powerful than the one we get here. And also, the US never got the CSL, but the Competition Package which has no power advantage over the std M3. CSL has 265kw, and weighs 130kg less than the normal/CP M3.

Last edited by Pitzi; 07-23-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:47 AM

1 guy (Dinko, who had his FIRST time at the track ), ran a 12.7 sec Quarter (aligns with mag reviews & physics on the planet earth ), trapped 110mph. http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

-Matt
Is this what the drag strip looked like?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by SoulBladeZA
]

If you knew your car well, you'd knew that you can get it in manual mode, even whilst in sport

I did this numerous times. Select sport mode, then click the downshift button. Hey presto the gear I want for the roll is selected. From there on if I DON'T CLICK THE BUTTON THE CAR WILL STILL SHIFT ITSELF. Go try it then try and lecture me on how to race. There isn't even any skill in racing an auto.

I never asked M&M if he had any other mods, only asked engine-wise. Seems he was honest about that. I didn't ask about the diff. My bad. I did ask about the exhaust and he says that all he has is a ACS backbox, which seems to be the case. I've raced a stock CSL though, check the videos above. M&M has raced the CSL too and lost.

The thing is you people over there in teh USA think that all races that happen there will turn out the same way in the rest of the world. Guess not. Your M3's will get owned by our spec M3's. Simple as that.

Also, an M3 in powerband isn't something to scoff at. SLK's massive torque means jack **** as you approach red line as it has by then already dropped off quite a bit. Also the 7G's ratio's are utter ****e. The E60 M5 also has 7 gears but it always shifts right into powerband, unlike the SLK's ratios which are way too tall after 3rd gear.

More things to consider as M&M said - the SLK 55 dyno's the same as the M3's here because the M3's have the more efficient powertrain. Couple this to the slow shifting Auto in the SLK (YES even in sport mode), and the passenger in the SLK, and what's so hard to believe. You know how many M3 drivers I've beaten in my 130i? LOTS. But I don't brag about them because most guys don't have the talent and/or ***** to exploit the M3. Not everyone enjoys shifting at 8000rpm right on the limiter. Which is fine, but then don't race your M3.

Getting an M3 to go fast is something that requires a bit of skill, in the SLK it isn't. We aren't talking SMG M3's here btw. Lastly, I'll post a vid later of a standing start. The SLK gets a bit of a lead on the launch due to the extra torque, but then the M3 comes past.
Okay, first of all... that link didn't work last night. I'm not sure why, but it does work today. However, It sure looks like the CSL pulls the same as the 'almost unmodded' M3. So how unmodded is it? Oh, and a rear diff will make quite a difference.

In regard to the 'S' mode, you're being a bit of a retard. Yes, we all know that you can select the maximum gear in 'S' mode and then the gearbox will upshift at redline. This is what Jesseliu and I recommend. You should select 'S' mode than the HUD should read 1 or 2 based on what gear is optimal. Then, allow the gearbox to upshift at redline. Instead, it seems like you are selecting 'S' mode and simply mashing the pedal. Not the right way.

Yeah, it doesn't take alot of skill to launch an automatic yet you still seem to get it wrong. I guess that says alot about your skill set.

Last edited by dsb; 07-23-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
BTW, I am not trying to slam the M3. I have a great deal of respect for the car. It's just sad that the owner of the 55 doesn't know what to do when he races.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 PM
M&M

Originally Posted by dsb
BTW, I am not trying to slam the M3. I have a great deal of respect for the car. It's just sad that the owner of the 55 doesn't know what to do when he races.
Hey guys, that's not nice. How hard is it to drive an auto. Even I did it in the last 2 vids.

Now, this isn't the 1st SLK55 I've beaten. With my previous M3, which did have some power mods for the last few months, I raced a modified SLK55 over 1/4 mile & 1km. I was ahead on both counts. SLK55 has ECU, decatted exhaust & Drag radials. I was on stock Conti's:

I'm afraid if you have stick & can rev 5500 off the line, then come hell or high water, I can assure you I am gonna' force the 55 to fetch me. And he's gonna need ponies for that. If he does, then good for him. So far none have come past, even over 1km.

Last edited by M&M; 07-23-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:51 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I'm not trying to be mean. It's just being driven wrong.

In the M3, it would be the equivalent of:

-Cruising at 20mph, in 4th gear
-Beep 3 times and start the race
-Then, downshift to 2nd gear and mash the throttle

There's no one that would do such a thing and expect to win a race.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:14 PM
M&M

DSB, look at the 1st video. It was rolling in 1st gear, SLK in manual mode. Soul knows what he's doing. We tried all the combinations.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by M&M
DSB, look at the 1st video. It was rolling in 1st gear, SLK in manual mode. Soul knows what he's doing. We tried all the combinations.
I dunno. It sure doesn't sound like he's rolling in first gear. In addition, the delayed reaction seems to be a downshift. Perhaps it's not a downshift. Perhaps he simply has a slower reaction than you. You jump 1/2 car before he even reacts. Then, you continue to pull. Now, I am not saying you didn't pull the 55. I am a bit suprised of the outcome. It could just be the difference overseas. In the US, that would never happen.

And for what it's worth, that last pic seems like you got the jump off the line. Your car appears like it's squatting whereas the 55 is not. Just wanted to give you a poke.

Finally, if you are beating all these 55's, then more power to you. Although, I guess you don't need it 'cause your M3 is generating enough on it's own!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by egxpimp
Hmm sounds like a buncha newbs complainging about my sig ( i could care less) Look in the w126 thread and you will see a pic of my car if you really want to see it that bad ( although they are not updated pics with new mods) and pics of women i know ? this is the internet...post a picture of your female friends in your sig, see how they like that.
I for one don't have any inclination to see a W216 E500 thanks very much!

Euro M3 343bhp 269 lb/ft
US M3 333bhp 262 lb/ft

While on a small difference on paper, Euro spec M3s are noticeably faster. By the way M&M, nice upgrade from the 18" silver M3 to the CS. You can't beat the look of a black CS! I need to get back over the water and back to mine. Only a short time now...
Old 07-23-2006, 01:43 PM
M&M

Nah, I'm not beating all the 55's. You win some, you lose some. I just been lucky I guess.

And it sure does seem like I get the jump. But even at the drags I also get the same jump. I think there's a few reasons for that. 1stly the instantaneous way an M3 delivers its power. 2ndly the lower torque leading to better traction. 3rdly the 100% LSD with 265 19"tyres.

When I drove the SLK it also seemed like the M3 was getting the jump. But then I could smell the rubber & hear the wheelspin, almost in slow motion. With the ESP on it was even worse. Almost bogs you.

I think SLK needs DR's, and to be brake torque'd to a good rpm to be close off the line.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by M&M
Nah, I'm not beating all the 55's. You win some, you lose some. I just been lucky I guess.

And it sure does seem like I get the jump. But even at the drags I also get the same jump. I think there's a few reasons for that. 1stly the instantaneous way an M3 delivers its power. 2ndly the lower torque leading to better traction. 3rdly the 100% LSD with 265 19"tyres.

When I drove the SLK it also seemed like the M3 was getting the jump. But then I could smell the rubber & hear the wheelspin, almost in slow motion. With the ESP on it was even worse. Almost bogs you.

I think SLK needs DR's, and to be brake torque'd to a good rpm to be close off the line.
I think the Autobox is the biggest disadvantage of the SLK55 over the M3. Give the SLK a proper manual gearbox and then it might be a different scenario.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:09 PM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by dsb
Okay, first of all... that link didn't work last night. I'm not sure why, but it does work today. However, It sure looks like the CSL pulls the same as the 'almost unmodded' M3. So how unmodded is it? Oh, and a rear diff will make quite a difference.

In regard to the 'S' mode, you're being a bit of a retard. Yes, we all know that you can select the maximum gear in 'S' mode and then the gearbox will upshift at redline. This is what Jesseliu and I recommend. You should select 'S' mode than the HUD should read 1 or 2 based on what gear is optimal. Then, allow the gearbox to upshift at redline. Instead, it seems like you are selecting 'S' mode and simply mashing the pedal. Not the right way.

Yeah, it doesn't take alot of skill to launch an automatic yet you still seem to get it wrong. I guess that says alot about your skill set.
Read what I said sunshine. I PUT IT IN S MODE, after which I clicked the MINUS button to get it to show which gear I was in. Then I manually shifted into the required gear. The M3 simply has much better throttle response than the SLK. I drove them back to back. Watch when we switch drivers, the M3 gets the jump again. It's because of the nature of the engine, the sport throttle map etc. The SLK doesn't react as fast. Now that that is covered:

As for me not being able to launch, . It's rather simple really. Turn the ESP off. Powerbrake to the max it will allow me to, when the light goes green simply get off the brake and stand on the gas. Yep, REAL hard.

Here are some vids of launching from a green light:

SLK 55 vs CSL, no launch control from the CSL

SLK vs CSL using launch control

Check the difference a proper launch makes in an M3, even more so in the non-CSL version.

me vs M&M

Hey presto, I managed to launch just as well as M&M, one of the better M3 drivers out there. I must be professional and ****. SLK was in Sport mode, NO manual shifting. Powerbraked off the line at a VERY rapid rate, got it to hook up nicely.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by M&M

Hey M&M, do you get an employee discount there?
Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Soooo, in summary,

1) the M3 was NOT stock as I had rightly guessed
2) was a Euro spec M3 (more power than its US counterpart)
3) had a 4.10 gear set
4) an AC Schnitzer exhaust
5) has a K&N air filter
6) the SLK had a 175 lbs passenger
7) the SLK driver didn't keep the SLK55 in its powerband (evidenced as DSB also pointed out "why" it got pulled quickly at first - then the rate of the pull slowed significantly once the SLK got into its powerband)

That pretty much sums it up. Stock M3. My azz! I should go to a Viper forum & post an Viper kill video. After about 2 - 3 wks when someone knowledgable sniffs out that my SLK isn't stock, I can just say my car was a limited edition and only has a few mods that don't add really any power. Stupid. Once a car has been modified, its NOT stock. Period. And what is up with putting 2 people in the SLK & just the driver in the modded M3? .

Dan, Jesse, case closed Gentlemen.

-Matt
Old 07-23-2006, 02:32 PM
M&M

Yella', i must have missed the part where anyone said it was stock. Care to point that out?

BTW I pinned a modd'd SLK55 with my previous MODDED M3.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 PM

Soooo, in summary,

3) had a 4.10 gear set
5) has a K&N air filter
7) the SLK driver didn't keep the SLK55 in its powerband (evidenced as DSB also pointed out "why" it got pulled quickly at first - then the rate of the pull slowed significantly once the SLK got into its powerband)

That pretty much sums it up. Stock M3. My azz! I should go to a Viper forum & post an Viper kill video. After about 2 - 3 wks when someone knowledgable sniffs out that my SLK isn't stock, I can just say my car was a limited edition and only has a few mods that don't add really any power. Stupid. Once a car has been modified, its NOT stock. Period. And what is up with putting 2 people in the SLK & just the driver in the modded M3? .

-Matt
The race against the CSL was stock vs stock. The car belonmgs to me and it's stock standard, with warranty & Motorplan from BMW which is cancelled if the car is modified in any ways whatsoever.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:35 PM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Soooo, in summary,

3) had a 4.10 gear set
5) has a K&N air filter

-Matt
1) Hey I never said it was stock. I listed all the mods as far as I knew. I told M&M to come to the thread and correct me if I had anything wrong. I didn't ask about the diff, so he could have lied about that but he didn't.

2)Yes Euro. Quite a bit faster.

3)Different final drive ratio. Makes a bit of a difference as you can see.

4)ACS exhaust makes zero power. It's just the backbox for better sound.

5)K&N filter makes like 2hp. Nothing major.

6)The passenger was because the SLK wasn't even going to race. Refer to my original post. We were going to race the M3 vs the local Subaru club who were talking smack. ALL of them didn't pitch, so we decided to have a little fun of our own. The SLK was going to be the chase and camera car.

7)Oh I didn't keep it in the powerband? Really? Dang, must be higher grade ****. I DID keep it in the right gear, if you read my posts you will see I had it in S mode, but with the current gear showing. M&M and I ALWAYS went rolling in the same gear, which should in theory give the advantage to the SLK with more torque down low. The higher up in the M3's rev range the roll took place from, the better the M3 did. Rather simple really.

As for not being stock - we never claimed it was. I said it had no engine apart from the K&N filter and the ACS exhaust, which doesn't net any power anyway. I wasn't aware of the diff, but I only claimed the engine was stock.

The cameraman was in the SLK because

a) we were expecting the SLK to win
b) it has more torque so is affected less by the weight
c) he is my friend and we were going to head off together after the racing in a different direction. Only saved time. Didn't do it to sabotage the video on purpose. Besides, who here ever claimed E46 M3 would whip SLK 55 every time?

The M3 CSL was stock though. Both cars running the same fuel and both having 2 people onboard. So completely fair races.

Last edited by SoulBladeZA; 07-23-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:42 PM

2006 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3
Here's another video of me outlaunching the M3. Damn I rawk. It's so hard.

Click

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E46 M3 vs SLK 55