Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice RX-7...

it looks perfect.. not over the top and subtle mods.

Of course the money is well spent where it counts... at the engine.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:46 PM
JDM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
You can definitely fit 2 little guys back there. My back seat has long since been removed, but I'd say there is room, just make sure the seats are all stock, racing seats are not designed with rear passengers in mind (like my Sparco's). I'm familiar with the Yellow Mica color, but I've never seen one in person.

My Royal Sapphire Pearl badboy is one of only 21 in America. They really didn't make a lot of them, which I think will help when it comes time to part with my child.
Is the hood stock on the supra? I assumed it was custom, but after this post I have to ask. I remember when that model came out, a guy launched one and took off down the street like I'd never seen before. I remember a subtle and brief wheel spin and that was it, gone.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by JDM
Is the hood stock on the supra? I assumed it was custom, but after this post I have to ask. I remember when that model came out, a guy launched one and took off down the street like I'd never seen before. I remember a subtle and brief wheel spin and that was it, gone.
Launching a Supra is as simple as picking an RPM and dumping the clutch, eeeesss fantastic. Its not a stock hood, its a CF replica of a TRD hood (TRD being the Toyota equivalent of AMG).
Old 08-09-2006, 04:57 PM
JDM

2011 C300
Launching a Supra is as simple as picking an RPM and dumping the clutch, eeeesss fantastic. Its not a stock hood, its a CF replica of a TRD hood (TRD being the Toyota equivalent of AMG).
ah okay..thanks. I likes it I've seen Toyota Racing Development tacoma pickups with superchargers on them, cute little things (the superchargers).
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:08 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by TopGun32
nice RX-7...

it looks perfect.. not over the top and subtle mods.

Of course the money is well spent where it counts... at the engine.
Thanks. It sits an inch lower now due to swap out of straight rate to progressive rate springs. The exterior is completely stock, except the rims/tires & 1" lowering I mentioned. Stock it pulled 1.01G on the skid pad. Now its lost 200 lbs, sits an inch lower, has a +1 rim/tire set up, superior rubber technology than what was avail in 1992 when they did the road test, and a wider footprint 275/40 rears (vs. 225/50) and 245/40 fronts (vs 225/50). Its also got thicker front & rear sway bars (over the stock R1s which were already pretty stout). It handles very well at Laguna Seca. It still has the stock turbos - time for an upgrade I guess.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 08-10-2006, 08:24 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I take it, you've seen Nacho Libre? Unlike many reviewers, I thought that shyt was funny!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG/ 911 GT2/ 911 GT3
Jangy, could your car take a new Z06? Nope. Everybody here knows and loves the 55k engine, but it has its limitations and one of those is the fact that they're bolted into porky autos.

You wouldn't want to tango with either of our Japanese cars on the road.
True, but a Heffner Twin Turbo Viper would beat your Supra, so that is a prime example of displacement + forced induction.

Another cool car is VRAlexander's 996TT that is running about 1400hp and is a daily driver. Sick...

Problem with Japanese rice rockets is that they start to fall apart when you pound them hard, especially at the race track.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hamann7
True, but a Heffner Twin Turbo Viper would beat your Supra, so that is a prime example of displacement + forced induction.

Another cool car is VRAlexander's 996TT that is running about 1400hp and is a daily driver. Sick...

Problem with Japanese rice rockets is that they start to fall apart when you pound them hard, especially at the race track.
The Viper is on the extreme end of the spectrum, and I don't doubt that 8 liters plus two turbos will put the smack down on just about anything, I mean its just logic. I chose the supra because of its track record of NOT falling apart when you beat it, as evidenced by the number of daily driver 500+hp supras in america. But you're right, many rice rockets explode before they ever leave the line.

I have to check this 996TT out, link? Should I do a search?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:24 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Hmm, that is not entirely accurate. I won't speak for Toyota, but the RX7 was the most succesful platform in the history of IMSA. It just dominated the 80's, in large part, due to the rotary's endurance & reliability. 2nd place (with 39% less victories) belongs to Porsche's 911.
http://alex62.typepad.com/imsablog/2...rx7_winni.html

If you are refering to people tracking their daily drivers at local race tracks then all bets are off since most people are novices & do not properly race prep their cars (changing all the fluids, replacing bushings, running a larger radiator, improving the brakers, etc). However, I see this lack of attention to detail with domestic car drivers as much as import drivers. I'd rank Japanese TRACK reliability up there with any of 'em (from what I have seen/experirnced at Seca, Thunderhill, and Infineon).

-Matt
Old 08-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Almost a Member!

How many endurance races (Sebring, Daytona, etc.) has Mazda won in the last decade? Wasn't their last victory at Daytona back in 1991?

How many times have they won Le Mans?

The RX-7 is dated technology and easily eclipsed by today's contemporary sports cars, especially modern Porsches like the GT3-RSR or even the GT3 Cup cars.

If Mazda were to make an RX-8 based racecar, do you really think it would beat the best from Stuttgart?

Please don't compare an RX-7 to the 911... as for pedigree and racing victories, there really is no comparison. Porsche has many more victories around the world than any of the Japanese... isolating it to IMSA is using selective statistical sampling.

Last edited by Hamann7; 08-12-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:02 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
How many endurance races (Sebring, Daytona, etc.) has Mazda won in the last decade? Wasn't their last victory at Daytona back in 1991?

How many times have they won Le Mans?

The RX-7 is dated technology and easily eclipsed by today's contemporary sports cars, especially modern Porsches like the GT3-RSR or even the GT3 Cup cars.

If Mazda were to make an RX-8 based racecar, do you really think it would beat the best from Stuttgart?

Please don't compare an RX-7 to the 911... as for pedigree and racing victories, there really is no comparison. Porsche has many more victories around the world than any of the Japanese... isolating it to IMSA is using selective statistical sampling.
Isolating to IMSA? IMSA is not some "obscure" racing classification. The IMSA race circuit was the premier circuit for decades in the US. The RX7 literally wiped the floor with 911s. 111 RX7 victories to the "vaunted" 911s 69 wins (they got smoked, pure and simple, for 15 straight years).

Mazda stopped selling the RX-7 in Europe & the Americas in 1995 so ya,....it has not been competing for over a decade. However, through 1995, it did indeed continue to beat up on the vaunted 911 (and the 968, etc) not only in IMSA, but SCCA titles. Even with its "old" technology, the 3rd Gen RX-7 has been a multi-year SCCA SS Champion. The SS classification is against Viper RT10/GTSs, '97+ Vettes, Lotus Elises, and '98+ 996 & 997 911s & 911 Turbos. The little RX-7 with 255Hp was a multi year SS Champion going up against 350 - 500Hp Vipers & 911 Turbos. That is pretty impressive in my eyes. http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/2003/stockc.html

Also, what are you talking about in your reference to LeMans? Class? Overall? Mazda won LeMans outright in 1991 (the only Japanese manufacturer to ever do so). The last time Porsche won it outright was 1971 with the 917K (In 1971 I was 5 yrs old. By 1991, I was a Marine officer - a little more "recent" than Porsche's last victory). Selective statistics....my azz. And, FWIW, Mazda pulled the LeMans winning 787 rotary engine down after the race & it had zero engine wear (yes, zero). That powerplant is extremely reliable. In fact, Mazda's 31 LeMans entries have fished 67% of the time - the highest, by far, than any other manufacturer.

The RX-7 has competed and won championships all over the planet....not just IMSA (SCCA, Spa Francorchamps, LeMans, the Bathhurst series in Australia, etc). Its even been a good platform in car drag classes along with the Supdawg ). In fact, Mazda was unfairly handicapped via en "engine volume handicap" during its years in IMSA & LeMans (because it kept winning & competiters were "whining" like a bunch of pussies) & was forced to add weight. It still won against rivals with significantly greater engine capacities (ie GTO class even though the RX7s were classified in the lesser GTU class - which they already won & dominated).

I'm not trying to be an azz, but I've seen this before - blind loyalty to a particular car or make. Its ridiculous. The RX7 has a tremendous racing heritage but its just a dayam car which is built with the integrity of a Pepsi can (it was created to be a lightweight sports/track car). It is no Austin Martin or Ferrari, but its still a fun car with significant racing heritage. You might want to read up a bit. Here are some links quick racing summary links for you:
http://www.millville.org/Workshops_f...ls/racing.html
http://www.mazda.com/history/rotary/r3-1.html

PS - how many cars has Porsche got in F1? Zero. Their last effort was with Nikki Lauda in the TAG/Porsche/McLaren car 22 years ago. BAR/Honda & Toyota are competing at the pinacle of racing & Porsche is nowhere to be found. These cheap little Japanese (Rice Rocket) manufacturers are competing and doing pretty well while Porsche won't even enter the fray.

-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-12-2006 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Almost a Member!

You are clearly ignorant about Le Mans.

The 911 GT1 Evolution took 1st and 2nd in 1998, marking the 16th win for Porsche at Le Mans, more than any other manufacturer in history. Porsche has stayed out of the LMP1 class the last few years because of their agreement with VW/Audi... but they will be back soon. Will Mazda be ready to take them on??? No, because they're too busy screwing around with making their zoom zoom zoom econo ****boxes.

In addition, look at the GT3-RSR's dominance in the GT2 category... where is the almighty Mazda?

I don't see the point in arguing with you, if you think Mazda or any Japanese manufacturer comes close to Porsche in making sportscars or race cars, you are truly misguided.

Then you switch gears and talk about F1. OK, while we're on the subject, since the Japanese cars can't seem to win any races except for the flukes every now and then, I suppose that would make Renault, Ferrari, and Mercedes clearly superior to the Japanese as well. Porsche doesn't participate in F1 due to economics, plain and simple.

It seems to lend doubt as to whether you have had any seat time in a GT3 or GT2. I am sure your little RX-7 is so superior to my GT2 anyway... so I guess there is no point in arguing.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 AM

Minivan
I have both a 2005 Turbo S Porsche and a S600 Benz both at 600HP. The rice rockets will never have a chance.

What your RX7 must have raced was some 1985 Turbo Clone. The 2001-2005 rear slot has three veins not one or two. Take a look at the pictures below and remember there is no way in HE#L you will beat a late model Turbo Porsche.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?-img_3203.jpg  

Last edited by 1phd1jd; 08-12-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:43 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by 1phd1jd
I have both a 2005 Turbo S Porsche and a S600 Benz both at 600HP. The rice rockets will never have a chance.
There are 9 second RX-7's running around on the street as there are Supra's.

What your RX7 must have raced was some 1985 Turbo Clone. The 2001-2005 rear slot has three veins not one or two.
Reading comprehension is critical. We are talking about the rear brake duct in front of the rear wheels.

Take a look at the pictures below and remember there is no way in HE#L you will beat a late model Turbo Porsche.
I have sucked up many of those over the years, they look good in the rear view mirror.

Take some math. I have over 400 RWHP (490 hp at the crank) in a 2600 lb. car.

The 2001 Porsche turbo made 415 to the crank! The GT2 made 456 to the crank! 25 hp less than my RX-7. The 911 turbo weighs in at a HEFTY 3500 lbs! My RX-7 weighs slighly more than 2600 lbs.

911 turbo 415hp 3500 lbs = 8.4 power to weight.

Gt 2 456hp 3500 lbs= 7.6 power to weight

RX-7 482 hp 2650 lbs= 5.49 power to weight

The only thing your car would ever see is the back end of my RX-7.

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-12-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:31 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

What your RX7 must have raced was some 1985 Turbo Clone. The 2001-2005 rear slot has three veins not one or two. Take a look at the pictures below and remember there is no way in HE#L you will beat a late model Turbo Porsche.
Ignorant? What we have here folks is a failure to communicate. I said LeMans OVERALL wins...the KING...#1 overall victory....beating EVERY car on the track (not the lesser sub classes). Geezuz, read my post before posting. Porsche isn't in the LMP1 class because of an agreement with Audi? Audi is a competitor. Well, ....Mazda has an agreement with Ferrari not to race on Tuesdays. The bottom line is Porsche hasn't wont outright won LeMans in 35 yrs. Mazda did it 15 yrs ago. This is indisputable published fact. And BTW, Mazda surpassed Porsche in overall sports car sales with its Miata 3 yrs ago as the most succesful sports car in history (# of vehicles sold) passing guess who?....thats right boys & girls, the Porsche 911. So much for your "****box" theory. Racing is a means to an end. Racing is a means to port technolgy to the street and increase sales revenue & Mazda has done a pretty good job both on and off the track.

Back to F1. Honda doesn't win races & if they do its is a "fluke"? Williams Honda won the F1 World Championship in 1987 They have also done well in CART. The Japanese have been competing in F1 for decades and are indeed competitive.

Did I say my RX7 was superior to your GT2? Maybe stay on topic? I was talking about the historical racing performance of the RX7 and my slightly modified personal vehicle. And FWIW, yes, I have pulled a stock GT2 in my RX7 on the highway (as it should - its been modified a little).

-Matt
Old 08-12-2006, 12:56 PM

06 SLK55

NO...read again..he said the slot was on the side INTAKE in FRONT of the rear wheel...not below and behind...

And yes, a 410 RWHP(whats that 500 at the crank?!) RX7 should pull a Turbo S with 450 crank hp.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How do you figure a 4500 pound 600 CRANK hp family sedan is going to take out my 1000 CRANK hp car that weighs 3200 pounds, with superior suspension technology and a 6 speed? Its a 9 second car and it traps at 140, try that in either of your cars without strapping a Saturn V rocket to it.

Just wondering. And your P car would get MOLESTED by a BPU Supra, including at a track.

Yellow R1's car would destroy both of them too, as it weighs less than my television and probably puts down 500 at the Rotor .

And if you're wondering, my car can pull over a G on the skidpad so we can take it to the twisties too.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:52 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
How do you figure a 4500 pound 600 CRANK hp family sedan is going to take out my 1000 CRANK hp car that weighs 3200 pounds, with superior suspension technology and a 6 speed? Its a 9 second car and it traps at 140, try that in either of your cars without strapping a Saturn V rocket to it.

Just wondering. And your P car would get MOLESTED by a BPU Supra, including at a track.

Yellow R1's car would destroy both of them too, as it weighs less than my television and probably puts down 500 at the Rotor .

And if you're wondering, my car can pull over a G on the skidpad so we can take it to the twisties too.
Yes, your Supra would suck the paint off his P car. Unsuspecting owners of high dollar/newer machinery sometimes forget the 90's Japanese turbo cars were pretty good sports cars? They are easy to mod & can usually compete with newer/high end sports cars in just about any category. The Supra was built better than the RX7, but the RX7 was meant to be a little more spartan inside. These 90s cars may be rare, but can be pretty lethal when properly modified & taken care of. I was LMAO on that Saturn V rocket comment - hilarious! Time to mow the lawn.....see ya.

-Matt
Old 08-12-2006, 04:10 PM

Minivan
Talk about reading posts! I do not have the GT2. Porsche made a Turbo S model in 2005. Only 500 world wide and 250 for the states, read about it, it is a track car.

If your modified-to-the gills cars will even start on race day, bring them on. I have seen so many of you out at the race track trying to get your 500+HP car to work for just 1 ¼ mile run so you can post your run on the I-net and then put down a $160,000 car.

I live in So. Cal. where there is more bad-*** rice rockets than Japan.

My 600HP DAILY DRIVERS start-up every morning. Who cares how fast your $20,000 car will goes, it will never be a Benz or Porsche no matter how many HP's it has.

Also, I pulled a CLK55 AMG in both my cars. The other two posters do not even have a Benz.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?-img_3247.jpg  

Last edited by 1phd1jd; 08-12-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your bias is hysterical. You pulled an NA 370hp car? I'm quaking.

Porsche Turbo, Turbo S, whatever, it has half the power of my daily driveable Supra, end of story.

Don't be upset because that $160,000 can't buy you a W against our cars.

And um... I dunno if you noticed my sig, but I also have an M5, so I'm not exactly a rice rocket flag waver, I just like to see the look on Lamborghini/Porsche/Ferrari/Pagani Zonda owners when they get destroyed by a toyota.

The speed debate is over man, both your cars COMBINED barely make the power my "****box" rice rocket makes every time I start it up, on 92 octane exxon.

And another thing, will either of your cars ever APPRECIATE over the years??? My Supra is worth more now than it was on the dealer's lot. RSP's still go for over 45k BONE STOCK.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 08-12-2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:26 PM

Minivan
OK, I will concede that the Porsche is not a drag racer (and your 1000 HP Supra can kick my butt in a drag race), if you will agree that my Ceramic Composite Brakes (all $10,000 worth) and rotors are way too awesome and can brake ribs if not careful. ( see for your self at http://www.kpmgllc.com/pccb.html ) And that my AWD 600HP twin turbo is a good track car wet or dry, but not made for drag racing, 0-60 or ¼ mile runs.
Attached Thumbnails Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?-p2.jpg  

Last edited by 1phd1jd; 08-12-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
nice RX-7..... I had one for about 5 years before selling it for a Viper.... an RX-7 with 400 rwhp will take down a new Porsche twin-turbo....

I only had 362 rwhp....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mazda-RX-7-Timeslip-19.html

Last edited by Fikse; 08-12-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:42 PM

Minivan
Nice rear tire munch job. That is 800+ HP.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:42 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Fikse
nice RX-7..... I had one for about 5 years before selling it for a Viper.... an RX-7 with 400 rwhp will take down a new Porsche twin-turbo....

I only had 362 rwhp....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mazda-RX-7-Timeslip-19.html
Nice VR RX-7. I "think" you are Brooks Weisenblat? Your RX7 looks exactly like Chris's, my older brother. He likes the Fikse FM5s too (he just got 'em). I just got another set of FM10s for our SLK 2 months ago.

BTW, an 11.4 ET is a great time - especially in hot/humid Florida. Hope you like your Viper Brooks.

-Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?