Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
There are 9 second RX-7's running around on the street as there are Supra's.

Reading comprehension is critical. We are talking about the rear brake duct in front of the rear wheels.

I have sucked up many of those over the years, they look good in the rear view mirror.

Take some math. I have over 400 RWHP (490 hp at the crank) in a 2600 lb. car.

The 2001 Porsche turbo made 415 to the crank! The GT2 made 456 to the crank! 25 hp less than my RX-7. The 911 turbo weighs in at a HEFTY 3500 lbs! My RX-7 weighs slighly more than 2600 lbs.

911 turbo 415hp 3500 lbs = 8.4 power to weight.

Gt 2 456hp 3500 lbs= 7.6 power to weight

RX-7 482 hp 2650 lbs= 5.49 power to weight

The only thing your car would ever see is the back end of my RX-7.
Do you think that you're the only one who mods their car? I would love to find you on the freeway in your Mazda in my GT2, you would get quite a surprise.

BTW, the GT2 weighs in at 3100lbs not 3500.

So according to your formulas:
Your RX-7 482hp 2650lbs=5.49 power to weight

My GT2 775hp 3100lbs=4.0 power to weight
Old 08-12-2006, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Yo Joe, haven't seen you around the forums in forever.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
Do you think that you're the only one who mods their car? I would love to find you on the freeway in your Mazda in my GT2, you would get quite a surprise.

BTW, the GT2 weighs in at 3100lbs not 3500.

So according to your formulas:
Your RX-7 482hp 2650lbs=5.49 power to weight

My GT2 775hp 3100lbs=4.0 power to weight
No, did I say I'm the only one that mods his cars? The power to weight calculation was to demonstrate the simple math to some of the Porsche brainiacs in this thread that stated there was "no way I pulled a later model 911 Turbo".

Yes, the GT2 curb weight was off - that was my brother posting under my name & he typed faster than his recollection of the proper GT2 curb weight (I was on the phone w/him talking about this hilarious thread before he had to quickly run out & catch a plane - he was just in a hurry...so..."our" bad). We all know the GT2 is lighter, 2WD, and pretty darn quick.

However, I wouldn't inflate yourself over your GT2. There is ALWAYS someone faster (Cylinder's RSP Supra, for example ). All it takes is a little money. I haven't even begun to seriously mod the RX7 (its still running little stock twins). Its nothing more than a damn hobby. If/when I decide to mod it further, I'll have between 600 - 700 rwhp (either a blown LS2 or a triple rotor/single turbo).

All this BS testosterone talk about how much "power" these little cars have is a joke. I flew F/A-18 Hornets for the Marine Corps. That puts these little few hundered horsepower cars into proper perspective. Civilians, generally, have no idea what real power is. The power, with afterburner engaged, shakes the 1/4 mile long flight deck. The Tomcats are even nastier. THAT friends, is power. Its all relative to what you are used to. Cars are absolute toys.

-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-12-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Minivan
A Silicone Valley Marine? I would have thought you were an intellectual.

Yes I talk about my Porsche, but I also have a S600.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 PM

No, did I say I'm the only one that mods his cars? The power to weight calculation was to demonstrate the simple math to some of the Porsche brainiacs in this thread that stated there was "no way I pulled a later model 911 Turbo".

Yes, the GT2 curb weight was off - that was my brother posting under my name & he typed faster than his recollection of the proper GT2 curb weight (I was on the phone w/him talking about this hilarious thread before he had to quickly run out & catch a plane - he was just in a hurry...so..."our" bad). We all know the GT2 is lighter, 2WD, and pretty darn quick.

However, I wouldn't inflate yourself over your GT2. There is ALWAYS someone faster (Cylinder's RSP Supra, for example ). All it takes is a little money. I haven't even begun to seriously mod the RX7 (its still running little stock twins). Its nothing more than a damn hobby. If/when I decide to mod it further, I'll have between 600 - 700 rwhp (either a blown LS2 or a triple rotor/single turbo).

All this BS testosterone talk about how much "power" these little cars have is a joke. I flew F/A-18 Hornets for the Marine Corps. That puts these little few hundered horsepower cars into proper perspective. Civilians, generally, have no idea what real power is. The power, with afterburner engaged, shakes the 1/4 mile long flight deck. The Tomcats are even nastier. THAT friends, is power. Its all relative to what you are used to. Cars are absolute toys.

-Matt

I can't even imagine what those planes are like

Another thing that will skew you view of HP is standing near a Top Fuel dragster when it does a burnout

FWIW, I have no doubt that your RX7 would pull on a stock Turbo all day long, that my friend, IS simple math!!
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, that's me..... close on the last name... 11.4 was decent back then for stock turbos... The Viper is great, had it over 6 years now.... If I had more garage space, I would buy a 3rd gen RX-7 in a second.... here is what happened to my car a few weeks after I sold it:

Nice VR RX-7. I "think" you are Brooks Weisenblat? Your RX7 looks exactly like Chris's, my older brother. He likes the Fikse FM5s too (he just got 'em). I just got another set of FM10s for our SLK 2 months ago.

BTW, an 11.4 ET is a great time - especially in hot/humid Florida. Hope you like your Viper Brooks.

-Matt
Old 08-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Minivan
Is he or she (the driver) still alive?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Fikse
yea, that's me..... close on the last name... 11.4 was decent back then for stock turbos... The Viper is great, had it over 6 years now.... If I had more garage space, I would buy a 3rd gen RX-7 in a second.... here is what happened to my car a few weeks after I sold it:

Brooks, sorry on your name spelling. I'm also sorry your RX7 got totalled. At least you weren't in it & your Viper is fine.

Renn, no worries with the RX7 vs 911TT junk. Its not really important, but thanks anyway.

To the rest of you Porsche owners, I didn't mean to cause such a stir. I was just curious which version (996 or 997?) I encountered. And, FWIW, I never instigate these encounters. Its ALWAYS the other guy trying to run my RX7. I don't understand it. I usually ignore people, but hey, I'm human & break down every once in a while if nagged enough & if there is no traffic.

Porsches are very nice cars. My brother owned a Euro 928S 5 Spd. for a few years back in the mid 80s - it was a great car.

-Matt
Old 08-14-2006, 04:37 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG/ 911 GT2/ 911 GT3
Ignorant? What we have here folks is a failure to communicate. I said LeMans OVERALL wins...the KING...#1 overall victory....beating EVERY car on the track (not the lesser sub classes). Geezuz, read my post before posting.

I think you're the one who lacks comprehension skills. The GT1 Evolution took 1 and 2 overall at LeMans in 1998. What "class" do you think the Porsche GT1 ran in?

As for Porsche not competing in LMP1 today... You also seem to be ignorant of the relationship between Audi, VW and Porsche. Did you know Volkswagen/Audi is controlled by Ferdinand Piech, the grandson of F. Porsche. Porsche also recently acquired 18.5% of VW stock which would prevent an outsider from launching a hostile takeover.

Anyway, no need to argue. I'm sure your Mazda is a nice car. I personally would rather own a Porsche GT2 over any jap car. It really is a superior car to the best from Japan in almost every way, and if you actually drove one, you'd probably think so too.

A 996 Turbo/GT2 can be modified to make over 1400bhp, Protomotive has proven that with Alex D.'s car. So what? Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line. It's overall performance that makes a great sports car.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 1phd1jd
Talk about reading posts! I do not have the GT2. Porsche made a Turbo S model in 2005. Only 500 world wide and 250 for the states, read about it, it is a track car.

If your modified-to-the gills cars will even start on race day, bring them on. I have seen so many of you out at the race track trying to get your 500+HP car to work for just 1 ¼ mile run so you can post your run on the I-net and then put down a $160,000 car.

I live in So. Cal. where there is more bad-*** rice rockets than Japan.

My 600HP DAILY DRIVERS start-up every morning. Who cares how fast your $20,000 car will goes, it will never be a Benz or Porsche no matter how many HP's it has.

Also, I pulled a CLK55 AMG in both my cars. The other two posters do not even have a Benz.
Are you implying that the Turbo S is a better performance car than the GT2? Sorry, but the Turbo S cab is not a track car whatsoever...

I also have a Benz... last time I checked the E55 was a Benz... well, maybe a Chrysler
Old 08-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 clk320 convertible
oakily dokily This is a case of my dick is bigger than yours here.

Modded Supra's are faster than GT"'s - fact.

They can race on track, JGTC, fastest touring car series in the world. The 2jz engine block being the most infamous for indestrucability.

Porsche's are very nice cars dont get me wrong, my gf takes her kids to school in one.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by UKThom
oakily dokily This is a case of my dick is bigger than yours here.

Modded Supra's are faster than GT"'s - fact.

They can race on track, JGTC, fastest touring car series in the world. The 2jz engine block being the most infamous for indestrucability.

Porsche's are very nice cars dont get me wrong, my gf takes her kids to school in one.

RESPECT THE DAWG. I kill Murcielagos in this thing.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
the 2jz's are certainly very tough but not indestructible but very safe with the right tune and can make mammoth power my old tuner had a blue one that pulled over 500kw at the wheels and was still a daily driver.. They are really built for straight line cruising though i'd take the Porsche on the track they are built to fang all day long have run a few track events with the Porsche club here it is very rare to see any mechanical issues... Don't forget the old Skylines can make good power as well

here are some Aussie ones.... those figures are at the wheels (or all 4) for the Skyline's)

http://www.autosalon.org/index2.html

still at the end of the day enjoy... each to thier own preference, arguing about it does get a bit pointless.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 AM

Minivan
Especially if you own a Mazda and try to poach it upon Benz and Porsche owners.

Take the Jap car back to the garage and try to make it a REAL sports car (spend another $30K). Mine is in the garage just like the day I purchased it. No need to make into a sports car, it already is. .
Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Take the Jap car back to the garage and try to make it a REAL sports car (spend another $30K). Mine is in the garage just like the day I purchased it. No need to make into a sports car, it already is. .
Have you read the last few posts at all??

Some people like to mod cars, some people just like to spend money on a car with built in performance. Bottom line is a Supra owner has to spend half the money to get a car to do everything your porsche can to.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Have you read the last few posts at all??

Some people like to mod cars, some people just like to spend money on a car with built in performance. Bottom line is a Supra owner has to spend half the money to get a car to do everything your porsche can to.

I was with you before this post. I have friends who have high HP Supras, including Ryan Woon, who's Supra goes 8.60s @ 170+mph. The Supra is a great car that was way ahead of its time, but please don't compare the handling and braking of a Supra to my GT2, all of the Supra guys I know say that also. If you mod the Supra to handle and brake better on a track than a GT2, then what you have is pretty much a race track only, non streetable car.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh I wasn't talking about your GT2, which is pretty much the best car to come off the Porsche line since the fabled 959, I was talking about this guy's Turbo S cab, which is not a track car by any stretch of the imagination, I mean it doesn't even have a roof.

I met Ryan when I bought my car in Arizona, I got it off a friend of his. Good guy, true Supra head, and man does he build a clean car.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:57 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Take the Jap car back to the garage and try to make it a REAL sports car (spend another $30K). No need to make into a sports car, it already is. .
Come on now, even you can do better than that. The RX7 not only wiped the floor with the 911 for 15 yrs in IMSA/SCCA, the street version schooled the big bad '93 911 Turbo around Willow Springs. It not only had a better time around the track it pulled better lateral g's, the "Mazda" also pulled 1.20 lateral g's on the course, it also smoked the 911 turbo in the slalom. It sent the 911 turbo back to Stuttgart in a pine box.

Here read up:

http://www.fd3s.net/magazine_article...article02.html

BTW: The Porsche even had a superior power to weight ratio and LOST. Should the 911 turbo be put back in the garage so it can become a "real sports car"?

How about when Automobile/Car and Driver tested a bone stock RX-7 against a Porsche 911 Turbo, a new Lamborghini Diablo, an Acura NSX and a modified race corvette?

That they did. With Automobile technical editor Barry Winfield supervising and writers from Car and Driver, Motor Trend and AutoWeek looking on during the two-day event, the RX-7 bettered the times of a Porsche 911 Turbo, a new Lamborghini Diablo, an Acura NSX, and a host of "unofficial" entries, including a race-modified Corvette and a Ferrari F-40 - - cars that cost two to 10 times as much as the RX-7.

Mine is in the garage just like the day I purchased it.
I don't think you are being truthful. The interior looks to be a joint venture between "pimp my ride" and Ronald McDonalds.

Look on your own website slide number 7...

http://www.kpmgllc.com/05turbos_files/slide0005.html

Just stellar....

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-14-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Minivan
Do you even own a Benz? Or is the Mazda all you got?
Old 08-14-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
enough

We all know your proud of your porsche ... good for you. But honestly ... enough bs from you on this thread.

YellowR1 has 3 cars ... a Kleemann SLK55 (red), a yellow RX-7, and (correct me if I"m wrong) was it a silver or black Infiniti G35X?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:19 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Is the Porsche all you got or do you really own a Benz?

BTW: Where are you getting 600 hp from? Have a list of mods? Pictures?
Old 08-14-2006, 06:51 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Hamann7
I think you're the one who lacks comprehension skills. The GT1 Evolution took 1 and 2 overall at LeMans in 1998. What "class" do you think the Porsche GT1 ran in?
Ok fair enough. Mazda won in the early ninties and Porsche won in the late ninties. I would also like to point out the Mazda 787b Lemans winner covered 4922 km and 362 laps. The Porsche seven years later, however only covered 4773 km and 351 laps so it's a good thing for Porsche the Mazda 787b wasn't racing or Porsche would have been number #2 (No pun intended) on the podium.

As for Porsche not competing in LMP1 today... You also seem to be ignorant of the relationship between Audi, VW and Porsche. Did you know Volkswagen/Audi is controlled by Ferdinand Piech, the grandson of F. Porsche. Porsche also recently acquired 18.5% of VW stock which would prevent an outsider from launching a hostile takeover.
Actually I know the two have a relationship but the bottom line is the Porsche doesn't race in LMP1 at Lemans. I also assume you realize Mazda doesn't race in Lemans and that's why they haven't won... I like your excuses.

Anyway, no need to argue. I'm sure your Mazda is a nice car. I personally would rather own a Porsche GT2 over any jap car. It really is a superior car to the best from Japan in almost every way, and if you actually drove one, you'd probably think so too.
So now this is not about Porsche getting beat it's about which one you "like".
BTW: I already own a German vehicle.

A 996 Turbo/GT2 can be modified to make over 1400bhp, Protomotive has proven that with Alex D.'s car. So what? Any car can be made to go fast in a straight line. It's overall performance that makes a great sports car.
1400 hp? Got a link?

Also read the links I posted. The RX-7 BEAT the Porsche 911 turbo around the race track.

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-14-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Minivan
You beat a Porsche Turbo (993), that’s great. Pictures, Proof?

I live in OC where every rice rocket has over 500HP.

Boring. Those cars always smell like grease and oil, like there owners. Really. You needed to get all dirty to get 1000HP out of the Jap car.

Do not hate me because I have an awesome stable of cars. I am like you, I love fast cars.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Attempting to have a discussion with you is utterly pointless. Every time I rebut your arguments, you jump ship to a non-sequitur.

Porsche will compete for overall wins in ALMS as they develop the RS Spyder, which competes in LMP2. Already it has produced some great results even against the much more powerful LMP1 cars like the Dyson and Audi R8. When they will return to LMP1 remains to be seen, but there is talk that they will.

Where is Mazda nowadays anyway? Seems like you keep having to dig in the past to support them. You are clearly delusional to think Mazda has more racing heritage than Porsche. You are even worse than I thought if you think Mazda makes better cars.

If that were the case, I and many others would have bought more than a half-dozen RX-7's for the price of a GT2.

Enjoy your almighty RX-7. Then one day, when you actually have seat time in a CGT/GT1/GT2/GT3, then maybe we can have a productive discussion. It is obvious you haven't really driven any of the above-referenced cars.

Also, I have a GT2, not a Turbo. I have owned both, and the Turbo is hardly a track car compared to the GT2. But, please show me an RX-7 that has lapped the Ring faster than a GT2. You won't, because there isn't one.

As for the 1400hp one, go to 6SpeedOnline and do some research on VRAlexander, his car was built by Protomotive, same people who built my old 996 Turbo.

P.S.-- Our E55's are hardly German vehicles, they are more like modified Chryslers. Porsches are much better performance cars, period. But I've already had that extensive debate once.

I'm tired of bench racing. Time to go to another track day... Just face it, you clearly get what you pay for.

Ok fair enough. Mazda won in the early ninties and Porsche won in the late ninties. I would also like to point out the Mazda 787b Lemans winner covered 4922 km and 362 laps. The Porsche seven years later, however only covered 4773 km and 351 laps so it's a good thing for Porsche the Mazda 787b wasn't racing or Porsche would have been number #2 (No pun intended) on the podium.

Actually I know the two have a relationship but the bottom line is the Porsche doesn't race in LMP1 at Lemans. I also assume you realize Mazda doesn't race in Lemans and that's why they haven't won... I like your excuses.

So now this is not about Porsche getting beat it's about which one you "like".
BTW: I already own a German vehicle.

1400 hp? Got a link?

Also read the links I posted. The RX-7 BEAT the Porsche 911 turbo around the race track.

Last edited by Hamann7; 08-14-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:29 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
You beat a Porsche Turbo (993), that’s great. Pictures, Proof?
I left my panavision camera set at home that day.
993? It was a a 997 I looked it up in Autoweek. Read my description earlier in this post. It had a split in the vent over the rear wheel. A 993 has NO vent. You don't even know your Porsches.

I live in OC where every rice rocket has over 500HP
Sure there are. There is a reason you are living next to Disneyland.

Boring.
Yeah, just ask the driver of that 997 turbo Porsche who got waxed. But you know, with that Mcdonald land interior of yours everything is going to look boring.

Those cars always smell like grease and oil,
All my cars are spotless. Porsches are notorius for small leaks btw...

like there owners.
You'd know better than I, Mr. farm tractor.

You needed to get all dirty to get 1000HP out of the Jap car.
Now that's a brilliant comment.

Do not hate me because I have an awesome stable of cars. I am like you, I love fast cars.
Mercedes and Porsches are a dime a dozen. My cars are toys, nothing more.

Last edited by Yellow R1; 08-15-2006 at 12:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled a new 911 Turbo, curious which version?