Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Don't race on public roads.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Ok. Just give me a few minutes. Okay, it was raining so pictures are not the best, but you get the thing.

It seems like imageshak is dead, I will upload better pics later.

Last edited by GMBALL; 12-09-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Focus ST
Originally Posted by m3_eater
I don't claim to be one of an elite few who can "get away with" performing physics-defying maneuvers on the street with ESP off. However, ESP creates far more danger in my experience when driving spirited, because retarding power mid-corner upsets the vehicle balance in scary ways. I'd rather deal with power-on oversteer, thanks very much. Just because you overcooked a corner does not make ESP on the better mode when pushing it. Ask any SCCA-licensed MB owner how he drives his car at the track, and the answer will never include the words "ESP on".
push the esp button will not completly turn off the system. you may have to pull fuses or is that for only the ABS.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:27 AM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
This is why I keep telling people to keep ESP and traction control on when on the street. A lot of you think you can handle these 300+ hp cars but in truth 99% of you can not. I cant tell you how many people I have seen crash because of turning ESP off and running around with the "I can handle it attitude".
What kind of Mercedes were you driving? Are you sure none of the tires blew or something? The reason I am asking is that on most Mercedes ESP doesn't completely shut down when you switch it off from the dash, it still works in a lighter mode. It should have interviened.

ESP doesn't do miracles though, it just uses whatever traction you have to stabilize the car. If there is no traction (wet weather/ bad tires etc) it won't safe you. In addition to that, in most cases it doesn't make sense to turn it off because only highly skilled drivers can get faster without it.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Hmm you should expect more, if your driving fast you should ALWAYS expect the WORSE. And be alert at 200% and i would trust myself 100 times over what ESP could do, your lucky ESP was off, it could have been worse.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by egxpimp
Hmm you should expect more, if your driving fast you should ALWAYS expect the WORSE. And be alert at 200% and i would trust myself 100 times over what ESP could do, your lucky ESP was off, it could have been worse.
Look no one here is as good of a "driver" as you are. come back with a vid with tires smokin, tail all the way out, doing over 90 with the esp off. Then i will take back my statement
Old 12-10-2006, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by kchristos
What kind of Mercedes were you driving? Are you sure none of the tires blew or something? The reason I am asking is that on most Mercedes ESP doesn't completely shut down when you switch it off from the dash, it still works in a lighter mode. It should have interviened.

ESP doesn't do miracles though, it just uses whatever traction you have to stabilize the car. If there is no traction (wet weather/ bad tires etc) it won't safe you. In addition to that, in most cases it doesn't make sense to turn it off because only highly skilled drivers can get faster without it.
If you know anything about driving and correcting an out of control vehicle you would appreciate ESP more. If it did not help much like you are suggestion mercedes would not waste time with it, but since it was placed in mercedes single vehicle accidents have decreased by over 50%. From my personal experience I can not speak for mercedes ESP but I can speak for BMW DSC which saved my *** when I ran over a wet patch in the road from a lawn runoff, half the tires hit the water patch and I have never had a car hydroplane so fast and freak out.. Without DSC I would of been toast. DSC also does a dam good job at controlling under steer and over steer, I never really experienced any on Mercedes sine the benzes I drove were 4wd.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
Look no one here is as good of a "driver" as you are. come back with a vid with tires smokin, tail all the way out, doing over 90 with the esp off. Then i will take back my statement

oh will deff do u want it in the p car or the benz ? freeway or 2 lane road ? mtn road or just regular rd ?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by m3_eater
I don't claim to be one of an elite few who can "get away with" performing physics-defying maneuvers on the street with ESP off. However, ESP creates far more danger in my experience when driving spirited, because retarding power mid-corner upsets the vehicle balance in scary ways. I'd rather deal with power-on oversteer, thanks very much. Just because you overcooked a corner does not make ESP on the better mode when pushing it. Ask any SCCA-licensed MB owner how he drives his car at the track, and the answer will never include the words "ESP on".

When I want to have some fun........ALL of the nannies are OFF. However, with Mercs it is never really OFF....it is just a bit more liberal before it cuts in and spoils the fun. But you have to remember that no matter how good ESP/DSC/ABC is, if your maneuver is out of control, you can't defy the laws of physics.

I actually think always relying on the safety nets makes you a less reactive, poorer, and ultimately a less safe driver. Driver education and increased car control skills should be taught, not reliance on computers.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
oh will deff do u want it in the p car or the benz ? freeway or 2 lane road ? mtn road or just regular rd ?
look dude, i'm cool with you but, comon i'm younger then you and i dont want to see one of your friends posting a fourm saing u slid off the mountain in ur dads p-car. so do it on a track or somewhere you think is safe.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Finally imageshack worked, so here are some better pics:

Old 12-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Banned

F248 F1
not that bad bro you okay so nothing to worry about, that can be fixed....

Tommy, i have never driven a C class , does the ESP work like the 350Z that cuts off the fuel/kills the engine ?

i wish i had video footage to show you what happens AT THE TRACkcorneringat 110-115mph and ESP (for the 350z) takes over, it caused me to spin out ... yup...some how it was on, i always turn it off...i tried to throttle it throught, power cut off upset the balance and wham spun 3 times at about 110mph, man was that fun --sorry bro but i dont fear death thats the diffs between a good driver and a great driver IMO or as my friend would say 'your sucidal' whatever it is, it makes me, me and gives me the abilities i have.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
not that bad bro you okay so nothing to worry about, that can be fixed....

Tommy, i have never driven a C class , does the ESP work like the 350Z that cuts off the fuel/kills the engine ?

i wish i had video footage to show you what happens AT THE TRACkcorneringat 110-115mph and ESP (for the 350z) takes over, it caused me to spin out ... yup...some how it was on, i always turn it off...i tried to throttle it throught, power cut off upset the balance and wham spun 3 times at about 110mph, man was that fun --sorry bro but i dont fear death thats the diffs between a good driver and a great driver IMO or as my friend would say 'your sucidal' whatever it is, it makes me, me and gives me the abilities i have.
hey i'm suscidal sometimes to but it doesn't give us superhero abilities. I'm insane sometimes to, perople regard me as a great driver , i dont want you to fear death, i fear the death of ur dads p-car lol, i mean insurence wont cove you driving like an insane lunatic now would they.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Originally Posted by TommyGunn
hey i'm suscidal sometimes to but it doesn't give us superhero abilities. I'm insane sometimes to, perople regard me as a great driver , i dont want you to fear death, i fear the death of ur dads p-car lol, i mean insurence wont cove you driving like an insane lunatic now would they.
It's not daddys p car- its mine thank you very much aka it was my gift for 21st bday
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
When I want to have some fun........ALL of the nannies are OFF. However, with Mercs it is never really OFF....it is just a bit more liberal before it cuts in and spoils the fun. But you have to remember that no matter how good ESP/DSC/ABC is, if your maneuver is out of control, you can't defy the laws of physics.

I actually think always relying on the safety nets makes you a less reactive, poorer, and ultimately a less safe driver. Driver education and increased car control skills should be taught, not reliance on computers.

well said...
Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM

2002 C32 AMG, 1991 SL500 AMG sport
A computer or mechanical device can never take the place of human input
Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Racing on public roads is indeed crazy these days yet there seems to be an awful lot of people who stil enjoy it while even video taping the event.
Can you imagine what would happen had one of the racers wrecked and the cops retrieved the clip?

I use to street race heavily back in the late 80's early 90's with a car that would eventually trap in the 150+MPH range before I came to my senses.
Street racing for money was all I cared for and it was truly an addicting/dangerous phase in my life.
One night while spectating a race(hundreds of people would line the street for the entire length of the race), I witnessed another spectator get hit and dragged down the road not by one of the racers but just a plain old motorist who was curious of the mob scene and took her eyes off the road.
It was then that I started sponsoring street race events at my local track (75-80 dragway in MD) and offered a safe event for the 8, 9 and 10-second street cars floating around.

These days you have street cars running high 6-second/200+MPH on 10 inch slicks while the faster DR cars are hitting 180+ in their 7 second ride.
I doubt these guys would even think twice about dragging their cars on a public street these days.

In Florida where I now reside, anyone caught in a drag race goes straight to jail while they impound and seize your ride.
I don't know about the rest of you but my drag encounters will be strictly at the track.

Last edited by meegle; 12-19-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by GMBALL

Even if you are a skilled driver you never know whats going to happen. Sometimes weird things happen.
thats what makes it exciting, on the track you go in the same "circle" over and over, in the cyns you have animals, houses, water, rocks, cars, people, bikers, cops........
****, im excited just writing about it
Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG

+1

especially the last part
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by AMG_55
+1

especially the last part
The driver's ed in US is nothing more than a joke.......

Japan has way better driver's training than the US.