Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

SL55 v some turbo rice.......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
SL55 v some turbo rice.......

It's Friday night and my fiancee's daughter, who is getting ready to join the coast guard, was helping me put a thermostat in the Ferrari. After a successful install we took the 348 out for a bit of a 'spirited' road test. All was well...the temp guage held station for the whole trip. Mission accomplished. She said that the drive in the Ferrari was great, and the sound was to die for! As we are backing into the garage next to the SL55, I agreed that the 348 has its plusses, but technology has moved on. So I ask her if she wants to go FAST! I glance over at the 55, and she nods her head like a kid who has just been offered a case of Snickers! She is a bit of a gear head.

We head out in the Merc, and she comments how much different the engine note is, and that it just roars. As we head towards one of my favorite on ramps, I give her a little boost! (SC boost that is!) We have a short straight and a green light heading towards a great off camber left that I can usually take at a rather absurd speed, but what do I have in front of me? You guessed it.......a couple of side by side ricers, with soup cans blaring, going 15mph. As we go under the tunnel and they lift for the now red light, I hear the unmistakable sound of their pop off valves from the turbos. Hmmm....this could be interesting.

As they sit next to each other, I see them pointing back at the SL, and laughing. I asked my passenger if she was up for a little fun, and she said, "Are you kidding? let's go get 'em!" The light turns, and the little Nissan waits for a couple of seconds and winds his turbo up like one of those toy, rubber band airplanes, and lets it rip into the off camber left.........a bit sideways. Meanwhile the SL is all over him. He gets it straightened out up the hill. I catch him looking in his mirror, expecting a gap, but there is none, just alot of MB logo, and he's losing ground. As the road banks right I hear him searching for some power, and I actually expected something to happen. But I just had to tap the brakes to keep from collecting him. As we approach the apex of the right hand sweeper, I can tell from his line that he is just pinching the corner (he probably should have been looking at the road, instead of in the mirror)....I am hard on the gas through the apex and pass him like he was stopped. I have a feeling he wasn't used to this type of abuse (especially from a geezer), and just didn't know what hit him.

I am sure he has had to put up with some abuse from his buddies for getting creamed by an old guy's car. But, if you are out there Mr. Rice....nice effort, but I felt the need to take you to school! I was also doing my part by bringing some joy to one of our military....she is still grinning as I write this!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
hahahaha nice!! thats a sweet kill! old guy with a SL55 FTW!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Haha, nice kill!!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
what were they driving?
Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

SL55 AMG, M5 E60, 2002 S55 AMG, Range Rover Sport Supercharged,
*sigh*

Ricers will never understand.... don't mess with AMGs or any car that is more expensive than their cars!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
what were they driving?
They looked like 240s. From what I understand when they turbo those cars thyey can make lots of power. I think the kid was shocked and scared.....especially when there was a sweeping corner thrown into the mix.

He probably had never been that quick in a corner, with a car crawling up his rear end. I bet he will think twice about messin' w/old guys driving AMGs from now on.

Last edited by IngenereAMG; 09-13-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by SoS SWATxV2
*sigh*

Ricers will never understand.... don't mess with AMGs or any car that is more expensive than their cars!

I know I have no fear of them with my car pictured below!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vw
*sigh*

don't mess with AMGs or any car that is more expensive than their cars!
now there is a really bright statement.:smas h::ra nt:
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
*sigh*

There are so many faster imports / tuned euro's than AMGs I cannot even begin.

For instance a lowly car such as the A4 with a mere 150hp crank out of the factory can look at a nice 600whp with the proper mods. (And remember you can pick up an A4 for dirt cheap)

Last edited by Militant-Grunt; 09-13-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Banned

SL55 AMG, M5 E60, 2002 S55 AMG, Range Rover Sport Supercharged,
Okay then.

What I meant to say was: Ricers that have aesthetical modifications and not engine modifications (Honda Civics and whatnot) will never be faster or as good as AMGs, MB, BMW etc.

But as for modding in the engin department to produce a lot of power and torque, well...that would be true.

Thanks for pointing that out??

By that stage, I wouldn't even call them "ricers". I'd call them dirt cheap rockets.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice write up..

240's are very respected tuner cars used for drifting. RWD and not that heavy.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:36 PM

Amg C32
Originally Posted by Militant-Grunt

For instance a lowly car such as the A4 with a mere 150hp crank out of the factory can look at a nice 600whp with the proper mods. (And remember you can pick up an A4 for dirt cheap)

agreed, i love Imports, and euro's can we all just get along.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM

none

Yes, yes, with the proper mods-- meanwhile Mercedes over here is throwing out stock 600HP V12's like its second nature.

Before you attack me for being ignorant, I must insist I know fully well what I am talking about. I've owned a B7 A4 (slightly modified) and a 450AWHP B5 S4(courtesy of AWE, APR, MTEK and a few others ) and I must say, my E55-- stock as it is-- can definitley go round for round with that B5 S4. The S4 was fast and all, but it spent so much time in the shop for every little thing, I eventually got rid of it.

The E55 is just on another level. Not hating on Audi, my first car was an Audi and I love them but when it comes to speed and reliability, I think AMG is ahead of the "S".

My take.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mercedes Benz E350 Sport
in any case nice kill...i cant wait to get an AMG of my own
Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG

militant was your car parked on grand st yesterday?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:15 PM

2005 C55
Good kill, it might have had a Skyline motor in it.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
I raced my friend with his modded and gutted turbo 240 before in my CLK500. We were just about dead even, depended on who hit the gas first. We did a couple of 40-130 rolls. Also, my friend with his modded E55 was watching the race and decided to join in. After going WOT for about 10 seconds I look in my mirror and see his headlights coming at me like a locomotive. He pulls in the left lane and must've been doing 160 by the time we hit 130 (and he gave us like a 5 second start or more).
Old 10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Wow, I'm glad you had fun, but this is kind of sad. You're racing a rice rocket and you're surprised you won with an sl55? It would be crazy if you didn't. Dont' get so excited b/c next time you might find a rice rocket that can actually drive. Majority of those things are all show and no go which isn't necessarily a problem.

I say you look for an ugly ricer with no body kit, no graphics. White with a black roll cage and asian driver with messy hair. i'm sure there's tons under that hood. Get excited of you beat this kid with only one seat and no interior. Chances are it'll be a honda or mazda of some sort. Good luck.

By the way, those kids you beat probably had just as much fun as you racing your AMG. It's much like racing a motorcycle. You know you'll lose, but it's loads of fun anyway.

SPEAKING OF RACING STORES:
1. My rav4 keeps up with my friend's stock Nissan Z for about 1/2 a block. After that, he won of course.

2. Racing an SL500 against a Lexus IS300. The Lexus was actually keeping up for a good block before he lost. Much respect for the IS300 though. Half the cost but still very fast. I gave him a thumbs up afterwards.

Last edited by zoomie; 10-12-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM

vw
Originally Posted by zoomie
Wow, I'm glad you had fun, but this is kind of sad. You're racing a rice rocket and you're surprised you won with an sl55? It would be crazy if you didn't. Dont' get so excited b/c next time you might find a rice rocket that can actually drive. Majority of those things are all show and no go which isn't necessarily a problem.

I say you look for an ugly ricer with no body kit, no graphics. White with a black roll cage and asian driver with messy hair. i'm sure there's tons under that hood. Get excited of you beat this kid with only one seat and no interior. Chances are it'll be a honda or mazda of some sort. Good luck.

By the way, those kids you beat probably had just as much fun as you racing your AMG. It's much like racing a motorcycle. You know you'll lose, but it's loads of fun anyway.

SPEAKING OF RACING STORES:
1. My rav4 keeps up with my friend's stock Nissan Z for about 1/2 a block. After that, he won of course.

2. Racing an SL500 against a Lexus IS300. The Lexus was actually keeping up for a good block before he lost. Much respect for the IS300 though. Half the cost but still very fast. I gave him a thumbs up afterwards.

finally a funny post
Old 10-13-2007, 12:14 AM

Is @ Home
Originally Posted by zoomie

With the same amount of money given, that "rice" rocket would be faster. Most Mercedes/AMGs around my neighborhood barely see anything above 3-4k RPM (judging by their crawling speed). Props to the guy for having fun but no props for his attitude on the other car. Could have worded it differently instead of terms like "turbo rice," "winding up like a toy rubberband airplane" etc. But nicely written.

*sigh*

Because we all know that material possessions, especially a car is very important and the price is what determines a fast car brings a bad name to Mercedes owners.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Banned

'05 c230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by Tangerine
With the same amount of money given, that "rice" rocket would be faster. Most Mercedes/AMGs around my neighborhood barely see anything above 3-4k RPM (judging by their crawling speed). Props to the guy for having fun but no props for his attitude on the other car. Could have worded it differently instead of terms like "turbo rice," "winding up like a toy rubberband airplane" etc. But nicely written.

Because we all know that material possessions, especially a car is very important and the price is what determines a fast car brings a bad name to Mercedes owners.
I totally agree. That's sad that some benz owners think they're top notch just b/c they drive the car. Sometimes I'm really surprised how immature some of the posts here really are. I guess I'm superficial myself b/c i expected somethign different when entering this forum. But i guess there's all types of people who drive all types of cars.

Kinda crazy how some people think they can buy power. You'd be surprised what kids come up with for their import cars. Creativity and custom mods give them an edge worth looking at.

Last edited by zoomie; 10-13-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
i'll wipe that grin right off your face w/my $3k 95 eagle talon...
Old 10-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG - RIP :(
Originally Posted by Exodus
Yes, yes, with the proper mods-- meanwhile Mercedes over here is throwing out stock 600HP V12's like its second nature.

Before you attack me for being ignorant, I must insist I know fully well what I am talking about. I've owned a B7 A4 (slightly modified) and a 450AWHP B5 S4(courtesy of AWE, APR, MTEK and a few others ) and I must say, my E55-- stock as it is-- can definitley go round for round with that B5 S4. The S4 was fast and all, but it spent so much time in the shop for every little thing, I eventually got rid of it.

The E55 is just on another level. Not hating on Audi, my first car was an Audi and I love them but when it comes to speed and reliability, I think AMG is ahead of the "S".

My take.
ignorance is bliss, isn't it? Those stock 600 hp V12's would get a hardcore spanking buy quite a few modded Audi's that cost a fraction of the MB with the V12 we're talking about.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Good kill Ingenere. More than likely those guys had thrown SR20DET motors in their cars, which are 2.0 liter turbo engines that respond very well to tuning. They definitely felt the sting of that big blown V8 though!!!

I am so glad I've outed SoS Swat as a 15 year old kid playing at an adult with a nice stable of cars, because the vast majority of his comments on this forum have been nothing short of groupthink and belligerence.

While many ricers are annoying, there are many who are just, if not way more serious about performance than the German car guys. A properly tuned Supra would decimate everything on this board, in a straight line or on a track. In the end it's about who is willing to go the extra mile.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:28 PM

W203 C230k '05
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Good kill Ingenere. More than likely those guys had thrown SR20DET motors in their cars, which are 2.0 liter turbo engines that respond very well to tuning. They definitely felt the sting of that big blown V8 though!!!

I am so glad I've outed SoS Swat as a 15 year old kid playing at an adult with a nice stable of cars, because the vast majority of his comments on this forum have been nothing short of groupthink and belligerence.

While many ricers are annoying, there are many who are just, if not way more serious about performance than the German car guys. A properly tuned Supra would decimate everything on this board, in a straight line or on a track. In the end it's about who is willing to go the extra mile.
man dont you love SoS Swat

well all i can say is that anything that is properly tune and done right are good.

Hondas are very nice cars, dont get me wrong. But some people just dont know what they are doing thats it. Like people trying to make our Benzes ugly

by the way you mispelled something on your Sig

'07 Barbie Scooter
'06 M5 Grey/Red/Fast/Loaded
'97 RSP Supra 6 Speed- 790 rwhp BULIT
'05 Escalade EXT Grocery Getter
"I am a son of Hades"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55 v some turbo rice.......