Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

modded C32 vs Formula WS6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
modded C32 vs Formula WS6

I know you guys like good stories and details here, so here we go.

The gym is getting expensive up in the states. So I've been going to the one across my southern border in Mexico late at night. My larger buddy (probably 240 lbs) and I are returning back to the states from the gym and stop off at the 24 hour Sonic (i know, what was the purpose of going to the gym, right?). Who knew there was a Sonic in Mexico? lol

anyway, car was on, running for about 20 minutes. needed the AC as it is still hot here. eating my burger and drinking one of my favorite drinks: Cranberry Limeade. We finish up the food and drinks, and on the way out, I see a white C6 corvette with blacked out rims and a stripe down the middle ( not my style). I thought "oh well, too bad he is sitting in his spot eating his food." So I get back onto the street, and give it a little juice......

Little did I know (which my friend pointed out to me later) that at the gas station (i believe they are call "gasolineras" down there) there was a red Formula WS6 fuelin up. I just cruise along (not knowing this yet) and I see a red car come up somewhat quickly in my rear view mirror. I hit the red light and wait. As the red car comes more into view, the light turns green and I accelerate. I hear the exhaust of a loud V8 passing me, and then I see it:

Red Formula WS6 (LS1 motor). Manual (you can tell from hearing the shifting). Quad tipped exhaust, meaning the guy had at least a cat-back if not more. Not sure what other mods he had. Sounded good. Possibly a y-pipe, but didnt sound like he had headers. Maybe an intake (not sure if the WS6s already come with the common "lid" mod on LS1s)

It was late at night and no other cars in sight, so I figured what the heck. I catch up to the guy, who is doing about 55mph. He looks over once or twice, and then guns it. He immediately gets a 1/2 car or so jump as I wasn't ready for it quite yet. I get into it, quickly stop his pull, and reel him in. We take it up to about 115 and I slowly pull back and pick up 1-1.25 CLs on him by the end.

Next run. Top of my second gear. This time we gun it at about the same time. I slowly pulled away through third gear. However, once i hit 4th and got up to 120-ish, he was somewhere between 2.5-3 CLs back.

Good enough for me. I slow down and hit a red light. I see him switch lanes and turn into the gas station. My buddy then tells me that the guy must have heard me get on it back at sonic, and jumped into his car to catch up. I guess he never ended up getting gas at the first station lol.

Notes: Temperature was about 84 degrees outside. Sitting at sonic for 20 minutes brought my IATs into the 140s (a bit too high for my liking to race; i have been seeing mid 120s under normal driving conditions). Those higher temps and my heavier buddy had an impact, but whatever. Nothing to complain about. Splitting my coolant system next week (yes, i know, i've said that before in my previous threads, but this time the part is actually in).

Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited by jturkel; 09-18-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 c32 99 superduty
Nice kill! I have a WS-6 high on my kill list just because he was bashing on my car for having drag radials on a 4 door!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
WS6

Excellent Kill Mate!

I busted one at the strip a few months ago. That day the atmospheric conditions were terrible with temps in the 90's and high humidity, etc. Still both cars were facing the same hot conditions and I consistently beat him by 2-3 tenths (closer to 2) each time. I think one time, he got within about 0.13 sec when I got a bad launch. I do not know if he had any mods but if he did they were minor bolt ons.

Irish
Old 09-19-2009, 10:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Good kill. Just for info a catback/lid/LS6 intake (stock on 01/02) M6 car is mid-high 12 second car (with a good driver)...Formula WS6's were a very rare car (if it's a real WS6)!

Last edited by FormulaZR; 09-19-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Good kill. Just for info a catback/lid/LS6 intake (stock on 01/02) M6 car is mid-high 12 second car (with a good driver)...Formula WS6's were a very rare car (if it's a real WS6)!
yup. it was definitely a Formula WS6. had a buddy with the yellow anniversery edition LS1 WS6 down in Tucson.

I have nothing wrong with high or mid 12 cars at all. Ran a 13 flat at 109 at 2800 DA running about 5psi less boost, no dyno tune, and stock exhaust manifolds.

I've also pulled on two turbo'd G35s, including one built by dyno-comp. I also keep up with my good friend's LS1 camaro w/ LTs, y-pipe, lid, and cat-back.....he's got a factory freak that has pulled on a V8 Audi R8 and a fully bolt-on LS1 camaro with gears. My car surprises some people. I wouldnt be shocked to see 370whp, 380wtq on a dyno dynamics next month, being I saw 350whp and 359wtq before headers and havent gotten back on the dyno to get it retuned by dynocomp (they expect at least 20 more then my previous dyno)
Old 09-20-2009, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c3232c
Nice kill! I have a WS-6 high on my kill list just because he was bashing on my car for having drag radials on a 4 door!
nice! yup, you usually don't expect that, especially on a Merc!

Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
Excellent Kill Mate!

I busted one at the strip a few months ago. That day the atmospheric conditions were terrible with temps in the 90's and high humidity, etc. Still both cars were facing the same hot conditions and I consistently beat him by 2-3 tenths (closer to 2) each time. I think one time, he got within about 0.13 sec when I got a bad launch. I do not know if he had any mods but if he did they were minor bolt ons.

Irish
LS1s are no joke. There is a huge difference between those and the LT1s obviously. the LS1 and LS2 goats are another story since they are sooo heavy. Those shouldnt give you much problems (full bolt on LS2 GTO with gears didnt given me much of a problem). Minor bolt ons - tb, catback, lid......once they go longtubes IMO, it gets real. My buddy picked up 2 CLs on a 40-140 roll in Mexico on me by adding LTs. thats when i switched from the code3 to the 185 and headers. got it back (granted, his car is a factory freak).

I'm not sure what you're mods are, but yah, the LS1s have great topend. I used to live with a guy back in college with an LS1 camaro and we would always test our cars out against each other. Regarding temps and DA and such, we noticed that the supercharged car (mine) is more easily affected by temperature and his more influenced by altitude. We determined this from a variety of dragstrip runs and tests in mexico multiple times.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by jturkel
LS1s are no joke.
Very true, and LS1 F-bodies and Y-bodies have nearly unlimited potential...but, as you've proved, are NOT untouchable! And...as they get cheaper younger and younger owners get ahold of them and spend more money on looking good and sounding good, less on performance. A good portion of these cars need a driver mod, too. That's the downfall of a "fast" factory car...people get them and expect the car to do all the work.

Plus...for higher altitudes you can't beat FI!