Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Messing with a GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011 | 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Messing with a GT3

Spent nearly 10 minutes chasing this GT3 thru traffic before he finally put a pair of BMW's in between us and the session ended. More like a draw than a kill but I will still take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKxEUvLqxY

For those only interested with street challenges, this is the wrong thread.
Old 08-17-2011 | 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Nice. I've always enjoyed your track videos. It would have been nice to see how well that GT3 could have done if he had a few laps of no traffic ahead so you can really get a better idea how fast you are relative to him over an entire lap. It's quite obvious your modded C63 makes up a lot of time on the long straight.

When I go to lapping days, there are always instances where someone with a supposed "inferior" track car passes others with supposed "superior" track cars. This includes many instances when I have passed 911's (S, 4S, GT3's), M3's (E46, E92), etc, in my C55 or 135i. Do I think that my cars are superior to those other cars?......of course not.......my guess is that those drivers are simply not driving their cars to their fullest potential (or perhaps I'm pushing my cars closer to their full potential than they are). I'm sure you would agree that driver skill/courage/experience is probably one of the biggest factors in determining how fast some cars go on your typical lapping days for non-pro drivers.

For sure, having a fast car helps immensely too, and high HP certainly will certainly help out on any straights and corner exits (assuming the car is balanced to be able to put down the power efficiently).

It's interesting that you posted this in the "Kill" section, as I find most people here just boast about their street racing experience, where it may be more about the car than the driver (it's usually just step on the throttle and see what happens). On lapping days on a twisty circuit, it may be more about the driver than the car (although a fast car still makes a difference).

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 08-18-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2011 | 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
So do you consider this a kill?

GT3 on Laguna Seca. Start at about 7:00, but the kill happens at 8:06.

My E63 P30 and Hankook R-s3 tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-kmFuiirw
Old 08-18-2011 | 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Old 08-18-2011 | 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
So do you consider this a kill?

GT3 on Laguna Seca. Start at about 7:00, but the kill happens at 8:06.

My E63 P30 and Hankook R-s3 tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq-kmFuiirw
Don't know if you're asking me or hhughes1. But when I look at that video, my guess is that neither you or the GT3 in front of you were pushing the cars to their fullest potential. I can certainly hear a lot of "chatter" between you and your instructor. I certainly can't drive as fast as I can on a track and concentrate with so much talking beside me.

And unless I'm hearing some degree of tire screeching, there is more speed to be had in the corners. Of course, it could be a fine line......you want to have the tires experienceing a small slip angle to get maximum grip/pace.......but if you cross that line, then you start understeering or oversteering (or spinning).
Old 08-25-2011 | 04:34 PM

'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
thanks for sharing....i enjoyed the vid!!!!
Old 08-31-2011 | 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Don't know if you're asking me or hhughes1. But when I look at that video, my guess is that neither you or the GT3 in front of you were pushing the cars to their fullest potential. I can certainly hear a lot of "chatter" between you and your instructor. I certainly can't drive as fast as I can on a track and concentrate with so much talking beside me.

And unless I'm hearing some degree of tire screeching, there is more speed to be had in the corners. Of course, it could be a fine line......you want to have the tires experienceing a small slip angle to get maximum grip/pace.......but if you cross that line, then you start understeering or oversteering (or spinning).
As PC is saying, nice job getting by the GT3 but neither car is "near the limit". I posted this video here because this GT3 was being pushed fairly hard by an experienced driver and my car was giving me everything it had within the limits of the tires ability to grip and not self destruct (see below). The GT3 is a much more serious track machine for sure and could probably shave another 3-4 seconds a lap with the right driver. IMHO these on track encounters are much more relevant than the typical 5 second Mexico stories that are usually found in this section that often garner comments such as "Well if you were in the twisties....."

Two days of abuse on 130 degree asphalt.