Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
LOL, with the 4.2L Northstar, with a whopping 320 horsepower? Not bloody likely...

Heck, it won't even be a match for the cts-v, let alone a Benz!

Car & Driver's spy shot of the '95 STS

Originally posted by bobs
By the way, the Cadillac STS will outperform ANY Benz within THREE TIMES it's price!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Bias in terms of road test data??? Ridiculous.

Originally posted by Improviz
I didn't post any opinions of R&T about the car, merely road test data, 0-60 and so forth. In fact, before dismissing the review, you might want to actually read it: it does speak quite favorably about the car.

Unfortunately for you, it also proves you wrong!

Yes, the Ford GT's 3.8 second 0-60 time (Road & Track) is impressive, a match for the Mercedes SLR's manufacturer time. However, as pointed out before, Mercedes is often conservative in their ratings; for example, prior to the release of the new E55, they claimed 4.7 seconds 0-60 for it; it has been tested at 4.2 to 4.3.

As you pointed out earlier, horsepower alone isn't enough: we must look at weight/horspower. To get an idea of the SLR's performance potential, let's compare its weight/horsepower to that of the Ford GT, and a guesstimate of the next Z06's numbers using 500 horsepower and the current weight of 3150 pounds (assuming it won't gain any weight):

Ford GT: 3390/500 = 6.78 pounds/horsepower.
Corvette Z06: 3150/500 = 6.3 pounds/horsepower
Mercedes SLR: 3800/625 = 6.08 pounds/horsepower.

Hmm, seems like the SLR has got them beat, bob, by about an 11% margin over the Ford GT, and by a 5% margin over the one-year-away Corvette, *if* it really does have 500 horsepower & does't gain any weight.

So, even your unreleased car doesn't have enough weight/hp to match, let alone overcome, the current SLR, even if we assume that the rumored 500 horsepower is accurate and the car doesn't gain weight! It might give the SLR a good race, assuming Mercedes doesn't decide to up the horsepower before then (ya know, Europeans can increase horsepower too, bob).

I hate to break this to you, but your only hope is if Euro manufacturers suddenly cease their R&D operations and allow the Americans to catch up, bob.
Simply looking at power/weight ratio is a very naive way of predicting a car's acceleration. My point was, that if the 405 hp Z06 does 0-60 in 4.2, then increasing it's power by 20% will definitely put it below 4.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
ROFLMAO!!! Of all of the silly comments you've made, this one reigns supreme!

I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. THE predicting factor in a car's acceleration is power/weight, so much so that one can get a car's crank horsepower to within +-5% using the following equation:

horsepower = (weight of car + driver)*(trap speed/234)^3.

Example: your beloved Z06 traps 116 and weighs 3150 pounds empty. With a 180 pound driver, this becomes 3330 pounds. So, we have horsepower = 3330*(116/234)^3 = 405 horsepower. Right on the money.

How about the Ford GT, which traps 121.6 (Road & Track) and had an as-tested weight of 3590 (this means with driver, bob)? horsepower = 3570*(121.6/234)^3 = 500.98 horsepower. Within one horsepower of rated.

Finally, let's look at the test of the new cts-v, which trapped 109 with as-tested weight of 4070): 4070(109/234)^3 = 411 horsepower. Within 3% of its rated horsepower.

Using simple algebra (which you obviously don't know, along with physics), we can solve the above equation for trap speed: trap speed = 234*(horsepower/weight)^0.333

In other words, bob, a car's rate of acceleration can very accurately be predicted from knowing its weight and horsepower. Put more succinctly: Newton's second law still works.

Btw, using the above equation, we can predict the Mercedes SLR's trap speed: 234(625/3980)^0.333 = 126 mph. Which, fyi, will be faster than the Z06 (116 mph) or the Ford GT (121.6 mph), bob (I point this out because I'm starting to wonder whether you understand "greater than" or "less than"). A Z06 with 500 horsepower will trap at 124, still no match for the SLR.

So, what have we proven: as little as you know about cars, you know even less about physics. Do you ever get tired of being proven wrong?

Simply looking at power/weight ratio is a very naive way of predicting a car's acceleration. My point was, that if the 405 hp Z06 does 0-60 in 4.2, then increasing it's power by 20% will definitely put it below 4.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-14-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
Improviz

bob give it up man.
thanks improviz i would have said all that you have said and more but you have been beating me to the punch.
bob you have been wrong on several accounts
1) you said there is no benz quick enough for the same or around the same price range as the ctsv
-c32
-slk55
2) puting to shame(although you admited you over exagerated0 you only did so when you were proven wrong
-.1 seconds hardly qualifies for shame and .1 seconds is enough for the slightest driver error
3) you came back saying the vette and viper could take on any benz
-again your wrong as proven9FYI viper is now part of the daimlet chryslet company) thanks try again
4) your knowledge on acceleration and trap speed and horsepower ratings are only derived by ONE website, take in several different accounts. As stated by improviz, mercedes used very modest 0-60 times, the reason for that being, your average driver being capable of achieving them over and over again,
Q: what happens whena pro driver gets behind a 2003 E55 amg claimed by mercedes as being a 4.5 second car?
A: a 0-60mph time of 4.1 seconds

5) A 95 sts, dude give it up cadilacs have been and are known for the senior citizen mobile. Even your precious review poked fun at the brand. Your either really old and have lost complete functioning of your brain or you ignorant. WEither way you should open up your mind set to other autos and not come and bag on a car at the cars freaking forum. (stupid!) Everyone here enjoys cars in general and dont only own BMWs. we can all appreciate a fine automobile when we see one. the ctsv is a great car and a great competitor to the c32 and the m3 and the S4 and guess what good for cadilac to finaly make a car that can compete with these cars after what? 7 years? (m3 has been available for the longest time) i mean come on man a little late dont you think? Id say if anything that cadilac wants to compete with these great manufacturers (mercedes, bmw, and audi) and im sorry but those manufacturers are in a league of their own and well yourself and cadilac you are just not their yet.
stick to nascar
Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 AM

C32
Re: Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame!

www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/ctsv.html

The new Cadillac CTS-V. 0-60 in 4.7, 1/4 mile in 13.1...$48,000
"Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame"<---Wrong!
The new Cadillac CTS-V is fast and nice looking but still can't compare with our benz.
For the performane, it may be on pair with C32 but have no chance to touch the bigger brother like, E55, CL55, SL55, S55, S600, etc.

Don't bring up the other american cars (Z06, Corba, Viper, etc.) to this topic because your original post is "Cadillac CTS-V will put our Benzes to shame". End up i have to say: " There're many benzes that will put ALL your Cadillac to shame".
Old 01-14-2004, 02:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Re: ROFLMAO!!! Of all of the silly comments you've made, this one reigns supreme!

Originally posted by Improviz
I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. THE predicting factor in a car's acceleration is power/weight, so much so that one can get a car's crank horsepower to within +-5% using the following equation:

horsepower = (weight of car + driver)*(trap speed/234)^3.

Example: your beloved Z06 traps 116 and weighs 3150 pounds empty. With a 180 pound driver, this becomes 3330 pounds. So, we have horsepower = 3330*(116/234)^3 = 405 horsepower. Right on the money.

How about the Ford GT, which traps 121.6 (Road & Track) and had an as-tested weight of 3590 (this means with driver, bob)? horsepower = 3570*(121.6/234)^3 = 500.98 horsepower. Within one horsepower of rated.

Finally, let's look at the test of the new cts-v, which trapped 109 with as-tested weight of 4070): 4070(109/234)^3 = 411 horsepower. Within 3% of its rated horsepower.

Using simple algebra (which you obviously don't know, along with physics), we can solve the above equation for trap speed: trap speed = 234*(horsepower/weight)^0.333

In other words, bob, a car's rate of acceleration can very accurately be predicted from knowing its weight and horsepower. Put more succinctly: Newton's second law still works.

Btw, using the above equation, we can predict the Mercedes SLR's trap speed: 234(625/3980)^0.333 = 126 mph. Which, fyi, will be faster than the Z06 (116 mph) or the Ford GT (121.6 mph), bob (I point this out because I'm starting to wonder whether you understand "greater than" or "less than"). A Z06 with 500 horsepower will trap at 124, still no match for the SLR.

So, what have we proven: as little as you know about cars, you know even less about physics. Do you ever get tired of being proven wrong?
Okay, so wind resistance and aerodynamics play no role at all? Your logic implies that if I were to drive with my front hood opened up all the way (if it could stay in that position), it wouldn't affect my performance at all, because my horsepower/mass ratio did not change. In my trans am I can feel a difference in acceleration just by turning my popup lights up or down.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Improvis, you have way too much time on your hands to be looking up so many facts. I always find it amusing how a few short words (many of which I don't even believe myself) which take a couple of minutes for me to think and type create such an aproar and loads of lengthy replies.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:09 AM

2000 C280 Sport
Mercedes Benz > Cadillac

does not matter what model either........all you have to do is say Mercedes and you get 10 times the respect of driving a caddy.

Hmmmmm........maybe that is why we see all the stars driving Benzo's.

Caddy......hahahahahaha, whatever!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Duh...of course they do, but the Cd of these cars are pretty much identical...

...well within the margin of error. It rather goes without saying that the developers of that equation toook aerodynamics into accout; unlike you, they know a thing or two about physics.

Also, speeds reached in a 1/4 mile race are generally not that high, and are for a short percentage of the entire run, so aerodynamics plays a smaller role. If the equation doesn't work, how do you explain its accuracy? Luck??

You are acting as though I invented this equation; I did not. It is well known within drag racing circles, and it works. Go through the test results summary of any major mag and see for yourself, using the cars' curb weight + 180 pounds for driver. It is *very* accurate.

And frankly, you are the last person to be lecturing anyone about logic, bob!

Finally, I really don't "have too much time on my hands"; I do have an extensive bookmark file of auto tests, etc., and I write very quickly. I have spent no more than five minutes on any of the posts I've made this thread, and to me, it is time well spent; I enjoy writing, particularly about cars.

Okay, so wind resistance and aerodynamics play no role at all? Your logic implies that if I were to drive with my front hood opened up all the way (if it could stay in that position), it wouldn't affect my performance at all, because my horsepower/mass ratio did not change. In my trans am I can feel a difference in acceleration just by turning my popup lights up or down.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-14-2004 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
Re: Re: ROFLMAO!!! Of all of the silly comments you've made, this one reigns supreme!

bobs....wind factor plays no role whatsoever in the 0-60 (unless it's Cd is .8 or someting rediculous). Around 100 mph is when the drag takes into effect. With only a couple of seconds till the end of the quarter mile at that speed, drag may play a part but not enough to effect the times too much.
I am confident that my E55 will beat practially anthing stock on the highway. With its Cd of .26 and its probable HP output of over 500
(Using the hp equation above for E55- 4380lbs * (116.4mph / 234)^3 = 539.1 hp)

......raced a 11.47 1/4 mile modded 03' cobra and was neck to neck with it from 60-130. I'm sure to make a video this summer of the race, and an acceleration run from 0-158 (highest speed I obtained in the car)
I've also raced a 360 Modena from a 10mph roll to 70, and had it by a little more than a car length.

Last edited by anerbe; 01-14-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I, for one, will have to live with the "shame" :p
Old 01-16-2004, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
What if I tried going 0-60 with my *** hanging out the window?? Would there be a lot of drag??
Old 01-16-2004, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Depends upon the Cd of your ***!!

If you're built like Leonardo DeCrappio, then you're probably safe, but if you're more along the Roseanne Barr type, well, that could cost you nearly a full second!!

Originally posted by Stiggs
What if I tried going 0-60 with my *** hanging out the window?? Would there be a lot of drag??
Old 01-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Almost a Member!

1989 420SEL
Hmm...!?

Why would anybody come to a Mercedes forum and slam them? Only to talk up a nasty, low class GM product? Bob, time for you to head back to your "hood", glue some more fake fur to your dash, jump the front end of your GM Caddie off the ground, blast "Snoop Dog" off your 10,000 watt ground pounder, shine your fake gold Caddie pendants, and "hang" with your "homies". You are obviously out of your class of people and all of the rest of us know it.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Almost a Member!

Volvo
I've had waaaay more mechanical problems with my BMW than with my Trans Am, even though they both have about the same mileage.
That may have its explination in that the TA have a prehistoric and proven konstruction all over, whilst the BMW is a spacerocket compared to it. Although the BMW 750 e32 is one of the most problematic cars they´ve ever made. There are lots of rumors about it and many of them are actually pretty funny.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Volvo
More physics

Q: Two cars have identical Cw*A-value and identical power to weight ratio. The only differences between them is the poweroutput and weight. Lets say that the MB has twice the power and weight compared to the caddy.

Who will win?

A: The MB!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Here's an even better physics problem....

2 hot chicks pull up next to you at a stop light....one is driving a caddy and the other is driving a MB. If they have equal horsepower and equal torque and one hot chick is pointing 35 degrees north and the other hot chick is facing due west......which hot chick would you want to bang harder!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:50 AM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Why, the MB driver of course. Much classier I would imagine.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

500SEC, ML430, SLK230, S600
Re: Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame!

Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame!
Hahaha, hahaha, hahaha!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Almost a Member!

1989 420SEL
Smell something...?

This thread is starting to smell even worse. It was rotten from the start, and only went down hill. Did one of you guys FART in Bobs Caddie?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:32 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Smell something

Hey, Fine, we are just about neighbors, I'm in N. Scottsdale

Maybe his car came from the east valley here and just smells like cow *%($!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:01 PM

Oh yeah!! Hmmmmm what else stinks out here? Didn't know there were more AZ'ers here. How many we got? Maybe we can have a Benz corner @ the Pavillions one Saturday and show the old hot rods what's up...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:00 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Now you're talkin....

Hey Mike, how are you? Yeah, been to the Pavillions, great rides there, but we could class it up a bit still?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 PM

I think it would be great. My mom even wants to bring her red '79 450SL, restored to perfection. I could maybe round up 6-8 other benzowners ranging from the ugliest 190E you ever saw to an SL55 and an original W124 AMG Hammer 6.0. We should plan something. AZ'ers email me and we'll try to put something together. Unfortuantely, my coupe will be under construction for another month or so and I'd like to be able to bring that.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:54 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Mike...

PM'd ya

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Here's an American car that'll put your Benzes to shame!