Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Viper; E55; 360 Spyder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whatever keys I grab first...
Viper; E55; 360 Spyder

It was a typical afternoon for me. I had just gotten my car washed, and had decided to take my E55 for a little ride, no racing, just to enjoy the car for what it was. Or, so it seemed. I was cruisen down through Maine Street which leads to the West Coast's PCH (Pacific Coast Highway). It was friday, and every bad boy you can think off was out, looking for a fight. As usual i had my windows up, music down, minding my own business, enjoying the afternoon. I finally hit the PCH, and started heading north. Nothing happened. i was cruising at a steady 65 MPH. After about 20 or 30 minutes of heading north, I decided to turn south, and run through Newport Beach, once. So I proceeded to do so. I made a u-turn, and continued down the PCH until I hit a red light. I pateintly waited. And suddenly, my car started shaking. "WTF?" I though to myself. And next to me, a Viper GTS '95 pulls up. I looked at him through my tint. Blue. I unknowningly nodded. And looked at the light, ignoring him, until he revved his engine. Once, twice, three times. My steering wheel shook, as I gripped it harder, wondering if it was smart for me to go up agaisnt him. I was not about to back down. The light turned green, and time stopped. All I heard was the rumble of his V10 as he slammed on the gas, I instinctively turned off the ESP, half a second, to slow, and layed on the throttle. The roar of his V10 drowned out my little V8 as he pulled ahead, I was behind him, probably by a cars length, given he got a head start until I turned off my ESP, he had some sort of Exhaust on it, possibly Borla. And right as I win the struggle of keeping my E55 on the road, I hear a high pitched noise growing louder and louder from behind me. A quick glance in the rear-view revealed a yellow 360 Spyder, who had probably gotten a rolling start; hitting 8,000 RPM just as he probably shifted into second, my speedometer flicked past 60, the Ferrari gaining behind me, the Viper to my right, falling behind, the Ferrari to my left, putting up an unbelievably fight. My speedometer flicked past 110, and in the back of my mind I noticed my odometer flipping past 10000 Miles exaclty. By now, both of them had fallen behind, give or take 5-6 cars. The roar of the Viper still heard, and still felt. I eased off the gas, to see if they still wanted some, and they grew in my rear-view, and I hit the gas again, but it was too late, I gave them the chance they needed to catch up, both passing me up, at this point, Im ready to kill myself for easing off, even if it were for that brief moment. I see the Viper pulling ahead of the Ferrari, dodging a slow moving vehicle before taking his own lane back, my speedometer flicked past 140, not good I thought, I was about to top about soon, there had to be a way to get ahead of these guys, I slowed down again, because I was behind the 360, and I was about to hit him, I pocked out on the third lane, and hit the throttle, already sensing it was too late, and suddenly the Viper, jukes infront of me, as I was passing the Ferrari, I slam on the brakes, and the 14 inch calipers gripped the rotars like no tomarrow, and I slow down to a halt. I pull off to the side of the road, and stop my car, I get out, and looked in the direction the Viper and Ferrari went. The Viper, had his hazard lights flashing. I put my head down, and admitted defeat, but I wonder what would have happen, had we all been at that light, and all took off at the same time. So I guess, Viper wins, Ferrari second, me? Third. Sorry guys. I din't know what to do. Oh well, you can't win them all.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Dude,
You are lucky to even get to run with cars like that.
When I'm on the highway I'm lucky if I get to race a doge minivan.
I haven't had a good race in months....maybe years!

Anyways....good race.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
If the Viper was Blue w/ White Stripes, it wasn't a 95. I was either a 1996 or 1997 GTS. They didn't make the GTS in 1995. Otherwise, cool story.

I have a 1997 Viper GTS and I must say that both the Viper and my E55 are fun toys to drive around in.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
If the Viper was Blue w/ White Stripes, it wasn't a 95. I was either a 1996 or 1997 GTS. They didn't make the GTS in 1995. Otherwise, cool story.

I have a 1997 Viper GTS and I must say that both the Viper and my E55 are fun toys to drive around in.
Oh, sorry, Im not so familiar with the Viper line-up. Do you know if I would have taken off at the same time, wether I would have won or not? In other words, Im asking which is faster?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Stiggs
Dude,
You are lucky to even get to run with cars like that.
When I'm on the highway I'm lucky if I get to race a doge minivan.
I haven't had a good race in months....maybe years!

Anyways....good race.
Yeah, I might be lucky, but I lost. Thats what makes me real mad, its why nowadays, I don't take my E55 out for evening drives, instead I take my SL600. But, I lost, might have been a good race, but the end killed it for me.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:18 PM

nice run lexani! too bad you werent in your SL6, lol. end of story for them.

true u dont get the chance to race good cars. last month there was a SLR, carrerra GT, gallardo, and an enzo at fletcher at the same time. and none of them wanted to race. what a shame!
Old 12-18-2004, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fadedinc
nice run lexani! too bad you werent in your SL6, lol. end of story for them.

true u dont get the chance to race good cars. last month there was a SLR, carrerra GT, gallardo, and an enzo at fletcher at the same time. and none of them wanted to race. what a shame!
What!? No race!? Fadedinc, I have a job for you, go back to Fletcher Jones, find those people and beat them severly, afterwards come to my place, and we cna race, steal wichever car you prefer. Yeah, seriously though, thats a big shame. It would have been on perfect shifts, Enzo, CGT,SLR, and last Gallardo, if the owners of the Enzo and CGT where cluess how to shift, the SLR would take the cake. Oh well, just remember next time you find them beat them senselss Be like: "Race! Race!" Oh, Im just playing.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
You know what they say.. no pain, no game.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
You know what they say.. no pain, no game.
Oh, Im sorry, it was the only race I have ever lost. Seeing as you are a fellow E55 owner, you are well aware of the vehicles capabilities. I might have won, if I hit the throttle same time as the GTS. Oh well, guess I will never find out, unless someone else finds him.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:27 PM

Mercedes E280 -00
Is this just me, or didn't you win that race? You said:

By now, both of them had fallen behind, give or take 5-6 cars. The roar of the Viper still heard, and still felt. I eased off the gas, to see if they still wanted some, and they grew in my rear-view, and I hit the gas again, but it was too late, I gave them the chance they needed to catch up, both passing me up

So, you beat the Viper from a stop and the Ferrari even though it had a rolling start. They only caught up once you let off the gas at like 110mph+. Do you really think that they would have started gaining on you if you hadn't let off the gas? No way... So, what's there to argue about?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
You've just inspired me to watch my Fast and Furious DVD....again lol

j/k

Be careful on public roads
Old 12-31-2004, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mikael
Is this just me, or didn't you win that race? You said:

By now, both of them had fallen behind, give or take 5-6 cars. The roar of the Viper still heard, and still felt. I eased off the gas, to see if they still wanted some, and they grew in my rear-view, and I hit the gas again, but it was too late, I gave them the chance they needed to catch up, both passing me up

So, you beat the Viper from a stop and the Ferrari even though it had a rolling start. They only caught up once you let off the gas at like 110mph+. Do you really think that they would have started gaining on you if you hadn't let off the gas? No way... So, what's there to argue about?
Ok, well to be honest with you, I don't know when a race ends. To me, its when one or the other gives up. So, basically, when I eased off the gas, and they started to gain, I knew it was hopeless to try and regain the lead, speeds where reaching well out of my league, like after the speedometer flips past 125, unless Im on a free freeway, Im not going a MPH over. I mean my E55, would still have put up a fight, but I was concerned about other things at the moment. Traffic, Cops, and pedistrians. On, the PCH, you see them a dime a dozen. No excuse, I know, I just wish it could have turned out different, it was my first, and last time I ever lost in my E55.

I see your point, however the driver of the Viper, nor the driver of the Ferrari knew I gave them a brake- they think they beat me fair and square, and letting them get away with the thought is unbearable. Lesson learned- when winning, show no mercy- I just wish for a rematch, is all.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chappy
You've just inspired me to watch my Fast and Furious DVD....again lol

j/k

Be careful on public roads
I actually want to see that movie, I heard it was nice. I heard the sequel wasn't though. Is it worth watching?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Lexani
I actually want to see that movie, I heard it was nice. I heard the sequel wasn't though. Is it worth watching?
Totally fake
Old 01-03-2005, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by Chappy
Totally fake
well unless you live your life a quarter mile at a time
Old 01-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh I loooove Vipers.
Don't watch F&F2, it's such a piece of trash. I'm not sure why they made a sequel (okay, money, but whatever).
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by BklynBenz
LOL! "I like the tuna here"
Old 01-03-2005, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BklynBenz
I don't get these jokes. I haven't seen either! Which one is worth watching?
Old 02-19-2005, 05:49 PM

996 TT
Originally Posted by Lexani
Oh, sorry, Im not so familiar with the Viper line-up. Do you know if I would have taken off at the same time, wether I would have won or not? In other words, Im asking which is faster?

Am I the only one that sees this as a little weird? He said that he had all the problems with the esp and the ferrari had a rolling start yet it was only after he let off the gas that they passed him. My point is I wouldnt be asking that question if that happened because if the other guy got a good start and you didnt but you were ahead at some point it should be obvious which car is faster. Both cars had an advantage on you but you took the lead, and you still ask which car is faster. I dont get it.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
Man I feel your pain. I have also been in races where i have clearly won, and so i ease off the gas to slow down, but the others still go at it, not knowing my intentions. This is why many put their hazards on.....to indicate race over.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:40 PM

CLK 430
I've had the oppurtunity to drive both a Viper (98) and a 360 modena (hard top not spyder). The Viper I drove had mods putting out 500+hp... I still believe the lesser power of the Ferrari would win that battle. Then again, it may just have been my shi# eathing grin of driving a Ferrari 360 that made it feel that much fast.... can't compare these to an E55 since I haven't driven one.. next time I'm in Cali can I look you up for a test drive to finish this comparison????

anyway... good job hangin with the big boys in a sedan
Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Gave the driver of a Viper (not sure about the year) a thumbs up, then after a few blocks more or less side by side, I couldn't resist and punched it when going at 10-20 mph, I clearly had a head start (but I'm sure he was waiting for the fun hence in a loud lower gear next to me all along), at first we were neck to neck but I clearly pulled away after a few seconds.

I shut the E55 off after a few blocks as we were in the city and that uphill stretch came to an end. Rolled down the window and the dude said he didn't have enough traction. He also claimed to own an SL55 and was wondering if the E55 is faster, I said yes, due to the lighter weight. Mutual respect and that was it.

Quite a fun race as it was the only opponent I can find to go neck to neck with the E55 for more than 2-3 seconds!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:09 PM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
These kind of races happen to me all the time here in Indianapolis. The only difference is that the Viper is a 3 series bmw and the ferrari is an SUV. I do win all of the races though. haha