Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

my little SLK 55's 1st Kill!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my little SLK 55's 1st Kill!

I just got the car before Xmas. Its not my everyday car, so I don't drive it that much, but when I do, everyone looks and I've noticed this parting of the sea effect. Its like cars move out of the way in front of me so I can move straight up the lane, and everyone to the sides just looks as I pass. Weird, but everytime I think I've just imagined it, it happens again!

Anyway, my pt is that people, even in sportscar rich So Cal, seem to notice this particular car.

So, I was on Pacific Coast Hwy after a clogged drive home (but a particularly beautiful sunset) and finally got a break close to home, so being in front at the light, I kicked it, just to give the car some exercise - it seems to enjoy it, the rest of the time kinda acting like I'm the no fun owner constantly holding it back.

Compared to other cars, especially certain MBs, my little SLK may not be as fast, but it is still no slouch, and to some cars, it seems to be quite impressive. Hence, the mustang cobra I noticed vrooming its engine at me at the next light. Side by side at the line, I was thinking, "does that mean he wants to race me?", when the light turns green.

Having never really raced cars before (except against a Viper and Harley on my old bike - we smoked the Harley, ha ha), I just watched as the guy jumped on it beside me. It was hard to believe. After a pause, I pulled my jaw up, and pressed the gas just enough to catch up to him, no problem. Once there, I thought, now we can really race because we'll be starting even (and I knew already having the rpms up on the SLK, the kill would be extra deadly), so this time, from right next to him, I jumped on it. Again, no problem. Even with a headstart and a second chance, I killed him!

I'm obviously not a racer, but the car just inspires it. I was thinking I may want to take a racing class or something ... I know my little SLK would love it!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
sweet kill...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:28 PM

'97 MB E420 Sport/'88 MR2
nice..but also depends what year Cobra we're talking about here..
Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
PCH, is one amazing sight, no matter what time of day.

Nice kill!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:10 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by E420SportGT
nice..but also depends what year Cobra we're talking about here..
no doubt -

01 Cobra - 320 hp - 0-60 in 5.5 seconds 1/4 mile in 13.9seconds
03 Cobra - 390 hp (under-rated) - 0-60 in 4.6 seconds 1/4 mile in 13.1 seconds

if you killed him, it was probably an 99 or 01.

Good kill regardless
Old 01-08-2005, 09:40 PM

too many to list
You beat a Cobra, thats impressive. I pesonally think that SLKs are for women no offence.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lexino
You beat a Cobra, thats impressive. I pesonally think that SLKs are for women no offence.
not the new one.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lexino
I too thought it was the perfect car for a girl, but 3 guys now have called it their dream car and I was complimented my first day by a guy who thought it was cool that a girl had a "guy's car".

And when I park it downtown and sit in the outdoor patio watching it (cause its so goshd*mn gorgeous) I notice its the guys that stop and look in it, around it, under it and who take pics of it with their cell phones.

Anyone who actually owns one will have similar instances to relate, like almost everybody on this SLK 55 board - and most, in case you haven't noticed to dis them so, seem to be men (another vote for guy car status) - so I guess it is, hands down, a guy's car.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
I too thought it was the perfect car for a girl, but 3 guys now have called it their dream car and I was complimented my first day by a guy who thought it was cool that a girl had a "guy's car".

And when I park it downtown and sit in the outdoor patio watching it (cause its so goshd*mn gorgeous) I notice its the guys that stop and look in it, around it, under it and who take pics of it with their cell phones.

Anyone who actually owns one will have similar instances to relate, like almost everybody on this SLK 55 board - and most, in case you haven't noticed to dis them so, seem to be men (another vote for guy car status) - so I guess it is, hands down, a guy's car.
i agree
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM

another vote for a guy's car

Its not my everyday car so when I do drive it, the percentage of people that say something about it, which is everytime, is huge.

Today I stopped it by the car wash and then drove it to my friend's office. The car wash should have only been the opportunity for comments, but I also got one on the fwy!

Both from guys, and CL500 and CL600 owners, respectively.

And like the first day, which had a theme with the dreamcar comments, this day had a theme as well. Both made the identical comment, "it goes faster than mine."

On the fwy, I had a traffic "situation". The SLK, with its size, speed and handling, doesn't put up with alot of sh*t. The car, with smooth bursts of speed and ridiculously incredible handling deftly manuevered its way through the masses to a clear (and fun ) left curve onramp to another fwy. Those watching had to have enjoyed the show, but those who knew what they were looking at, it turns out, were having kinipshins

After making it onto the onramp, I get stuck in traffic again after just merging onto the next fwy. I'm sitting there with the top down, the heated seats and airscarf going, my knit cap and sunglasses on with the stereo blaring and I hear a yell over the speakers, "IT GOES REALLY FAST!" I look up at this guy who is yelling from his driver's side window. He is shaking his head with this huge grin on his face, like, so excited. With all the comfort and ability to dodge traffic situations, I hadn't really thought about the speed, but yeah, I turned down the stereo and admitted it did go really fast.

I told him it was probably because of the 7-spd automatic and he was like, "I know, I know, I know all about it." He explained that he had a CL600 and mine went faster, and he kept saying my car was, "bad*ss" with this loopy grin on his face. The last thing he said was that it looked really good too

I would think bad*ss describes a guy's car, but maybe that's just me.