Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

E55 vs IS300 TurboooooooOooo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
what? did you watch the same video as us? a monster turboed IS300 with weight reduction and god knows what else pushing what was it 600 something hp beat a stock E55.
Yep thats what I saw....an 80K car got stomped by the import costing less than half.....I think you can even get a used IS in great shape for low 20's. Add the turbo and a few goodies, and the guy spending the 80K will look like somebody just killed his dog after you beat him every race. He'll realize that his car really isn't that fast in the scheme of things. I agree the E55 should be much, much faster out of the box for what it costs, but its just not to be. No hard feelings, he probably bought the car to compensate for his teeny peeny in the first place.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL. Based on your $ for HP scenario, how do you explain the $5,000 Rustang that runs 9's and blows away the IS that costs 400% more?
Old 01-06-2005, 02:51 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Well, I love my 55 for what it is and does. Though, after watching the vid, which was great, I am really looking forward to some performance mods :v
Old 01-06-2005, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
LOL. Based on your $ for HP scenario, how do you explain the $5,000 Rustang that runs 9's and blows away the IS that costs 400% more?
ok hes just bieng a jack *** right now. He has a 87 stang i think. I was actually gonna bring that up till i realized he was just jerking around.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
E 320
Originally Posted by tuscanraider
Yep thats what I saw....an 80K car got stomped by the import costing less than half.....I think you can even get a used IS in great shape for low 20's. Add the turbo and a few goodies, and the guy spending the 80K will look like somebody just killed his dog after you beat him every race. He'll realize that his car really isn't that fast in the scheme of things. I agree the E55 should be much, much faster out of the box for what it costs, but its just not to be. No hard feelings, he probably bought the car to compensate for his teeny peeny in the first place.
Honestly, who cares if he got beat up by an import car costing less than half? he certainly doesnt cuz if the guy wanted pure speed, I'm sure he could have done what the IS guy did. But he chose to get a luxury car with satisfactory speed . E55's are NOT slow! But what other stock cars out there on the road can hang with about 750hp (640 rwhp) light car? I bet that car will eat up a lambo, porsches and ferraris for snack, but so what? Just enjoy the video!

On a side note, how would that car perform against Treynor's Renntech 65? The IS has more power obviously but Treynor got the torque advantage. Any incite on this?

Also, does anyone know the top speed of that IS? Can it hit 180-200 mph??

Thanks for the video by the way!

Iron Sheik
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Bantha
I can't thats why I have a '87 GT!!!! When it comes to $ per HP you can't beat an older American car....What the people today can't (or don't want to)understand is you can make a streetable, DOT approved, Mustang, Camaro, Trans-Am whatever for fractions of what these so called exotics cost and beat them 100% of the time in any street race or at the track. I don't care if you do have an Enzo, or Carrera GT. On any given Sat night you'll find a dozen cars that these 'exotics' don't have a prayer against. And no they aren't trailered cars. They run on pump gas and drive on the highway.

Fast cars are fast cars. Lux cars are lux cars. If you really have to compromise, and convince yourself that you can have both, yeah you get a M5 or a S55, but thats all it is a compromise....you're settling. don't be surprised when a ricer in a 99 civic dumps on your '05 S55, and your wife looks over and asks "I thought this car was supposed to be fast?"

You want a fast car? Build it......yourself!!!! Thats much more impressive that forking over 90K for a car I'm supposed to be impressed with because of the name. Anyone can do that. I bet 90% of the E55 owners couldn't change an air filter.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
Honestly, who cares if he got beat up by an import car costing less than half? he certainly doesnt cuz if the guy wanted pure speed, I'm sure he could have done what the IS guy did. But he chose to get a luxury car with satisfactory speed . E55's are NOT slow! But what other stock cars out there on the road can hang with about 750hp (640 rwhp) light car? I bet that car will eat up a lambo, porsches and ferraris for snack, but so what? Just enjoy the video!

On a side note, how would that car perform against Treynor's Renntech 65? The IS has more power obviously but Treynor got the torque advantage. Any incite on this?

Also, does anyone know the top speed of that IS? Can it hit 180-200 mph??

Thanks for the video by the way!

Iron Sheik
How much did that Renntech 65 cost?

Here is a Viper that'll make you forget the SL65, Renntech or not......

Hennessey

Power Output:

800 - 900+ Rear Wheel HP (900 - 1,100+ Flywheel HP)
900 - 1,000+ Rear Wheel Torque (1,000 - 1,200+ Flywheel Torque)

Acceleration (Stock 6-Speed Transmission):

0-60: 2.25 sec. *
1/4 mile: 9.75 sec. @ 148+ mph *
Note: * Denotes Viper World Record. Times were obtained with MT "ET Street" tires.

Renntech who???

Chalk up another one for American engineering.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't thats why I have a '87 GT!!!! When it comes to $ per HP you can't beat an older American car....What the people today can't (or don't want to)understand is you can make a streetable, DOT approved, Mustang, Camaro, Trans-Am whatever for fractions of what these so called exotics cost and beat them 100% of the time in any street race or at the track. I don't care if you do have an Enzo, or Carrera GT. On any given Sat night you'll find a dozen cars that these 'exotics' don't have a prayer against. And no they aren't trailered cars. They run on pump gas and drive on the highway.

Fast cars are fast cars. Lux cars are lux cars. If you really have to compromise, and convince yourself that you can have both, yeah you get a M5 or a S55, but thats all it is a compromise....you're settling. don't be surprised when a ricer in a 99 civic dumps on your '05 S55, and your wife looks over and asks "I thought this car was supposed to be fast?"

You want a fast car? Build it......yourself!!!! Thats much more impressive that forking over 90K for a car I'm supposed to be impressed with because of the name. Anyone can do that. I bet 90% of the E55 owners couldn't change an air filter.
LOL, true for the most part I'm sure. And you are exactly correct, I cannot change an air filter. But that's why I went to college, so I wouldn't have to. I think it's neat that gear heads can build their own car but it ain't for everyone. I like to race but I don't like working on a car.

As for compromising, I again agree. But for the E55 or others for that matter, it's a pretty neat compromise. You can have a perfectly balanced, 4 door, luxury sedan that seats 5 and still runs 12 and sub-12 1/4 miles. Mix that with Euro headunits that play TV, MP3's, and DVD's plus a quiet exhaust that gets you 20 mpg. That's a pretty good compromise. It's a lot easier to drive clients/co-workers around in a 12 second E55 than a 10 second spraying camaro with full exhaust and a weight reduces interior.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I used to have a poster in my dorm room with a Ferrari, a Mercedes and a Rolls Royce titled: "Choices"

Just curious, tuscanraider, what two other cars would be on your "choices" poster....along with your '87 Stang? lol

Sorry, but I just don't find much *passion* for an '87 Stang
Old 01-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Banned

Bantha
LOL, true for the most part I'm sure. And you are exactly correct, I cannot change an air filter. But that's why I went to college, so I wouldn't have to.
Really? I went to college too, and although I majored in Econ/Finance, and work in the IT field, I find it very easy to replace an intake, heads etc.

I think majoring in Economics taught me that its a waste of money to pay someone to change oil.....plus I truly believe I can do most people's jobs better than they can....
Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Really? I went to college too, and although I majored in Econ/Finance, and work in the IT field, I find it very easy to replace an intake, heads etc.

I think majoring in Economics taught me that its a waste of money to pay someone to change oil.....plus I truly believe I can do most people's jobs better than they can....
Okay, your "choices" poster is taking shape:

An '87 Stang
A NAPA pickup truck
.....what else....? :p
Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by Chappy
I used to have a poster in my dorm room with a Ferrari, a Mercedes and a Rolls Royce titled: "Choices"

Just curious, tuscanraider, what two other cars would be on your "choices" poster....along with your '87 Stang? lol

Sorry, but I just don't find much *passion* for an '87 Stang
Prolly any muscle car from the late 50's, 1960's and early 1970's....cars with character, that have lasted, and are collectable 40 years later.

Check out the Barrett-Jackson auto auction later this month....you'll see what real auto collectors/investors purchase with 100k.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned

Bantha
Okay, your "choices" poster is taking shape:

An '87 Stang
A NAPA pickup truck
.....what else....? :p
Nope....sorry, you banjo strummin' bumpkin....maybe in atlanta, but I'm not driving a pickup in Jersey.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Prolly any muscle car from the late 50's, 1960's and early 1970's....cars with character, that have lasted, and are collectable 40 years later.
So, like, a 15 year window?

Hate to break this to you, but the golden age of the "American Car" was in the 20's and 30's. Let's talk seven figures for a collectible car, not the mass-produced pony cars that GM and Ford threw at the market.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

Bantha
So, like, a 15 year window?

Hate to break this to you, but the golden age of the "American Car" was in the 20's and 30's. Let's talk seven figures for a collectible car, not the mass-produced pony cars that GM and Ford threw at the market.
You're right no classic autos were built after 1939.

Don't feel bad son, you're not alone in your ignorance, most of the people on this forum aren't real auto enthusiasts either. They think MB makes the best cars in the world. That should tell you something right there.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Economics also taught me to figure the price of my time, both business time and family time. I'd rather pay someone to work on my car and spend that time either on my business or with my family. Besides, before an airfilter needs changing I usually trade it in. Some like it old, some like it new.

I think its great you can replace an intake and heads but who cares?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
most of the people on this forum aren't real auto enthusiasts either.
You are the *epitome* of a "real auto enthusiast" lol

I guess I missed that episode of them profiling you on "Car Crazy", or the latest Overhaulin with Chip Foose and the camera peeking over your shoulder as you instruct Courtney on the finer points of the Hotchkis suspension.

I'll just have to tune in later this month on Speed Channel and watch when Craig Jackson can't I.D. something on a Corvette Grand Sport and picks up the phone to call YOU for assistance!

Last edited by Chappy; 01-06-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

Bantha
Economics also taught me to figure the price of my time, both business time and family time.
You are right....the 3 hrs you would spend doing a routine task like oil, simply isn't worth it. However 15 min. of my time is well worth the $100 or so saved that the MB stealer tries to get for oil. Can you believe that? $100+ for oil? God bless 'em if they actually get that.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

Bantha
You are the *epitome* of a "real auto entusiast" lol

I guess I missed that episode of them profiling you on "Car Crazy", or the latest Overhaulin with Chip Foose and the camera peeking over your shoulder as you instruct Courtney on the finer points of the Hotchkis suspension.

I'll just have to tune in later this month on Speed Channel and watch when Craig Jackson can't I.D. something on a Corvette Grand Sport and picks up the phone to call YOU for assistance!
Hah no way! not me.....I'd maybe be a 5-6 on a scale of 1-10. Most on this forum would rate about a 2 in terms of auto knowledge.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are right....the 3 hrs you would spend doing a routine task like oil, simply isn't worth it. However 15 min. of my time is well worth the $100 or so saved that the MB stealer tries to get for oil. Can you believe that? $100+ for oil? God bless 'em if they actually get that.
It would take me:
1 hour of looking for the dipstick until I realize my car does not have one
2 hours of internet research
2 hours of waiting on hold with MB or Autozone trying to get more directions
1 hour of messing around under the car until I realize that I can't do it
1 hour to drive to the dealer after having given up
7 hours total of wasted time
Old 01-06-2005, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...

Hennessey

Power Output:

Note: * Denotes Viper World Record. Times were obtained with MT "ET Street" tires.

Renntech who???

Money? Basing choices, on such, is not a choice wisely made- a choice? Yes, it is, but not the right one. A certain saying goes by this: "You get what you pay for." So, Star Wars man (how lame BTW), next time you check into Pep Boys (tonight, tomarrow? Should be soon- your Rustang is dying) or something along those lines, count all the German autos in there, followed by all the American, than tell me which is the better buy? If you like Pep Boys, than pick the American Muscle, but if you wan't to drive more than fix your car, you'll pick German.

And WTF are you talking about!? American Muscle on track!? Oh, yeah... look at the Le Mans wins Ford has under their belt- or chevy. Yeah. Take a Charger (old @ss peice of ****) with the chrome blower on top, take it to Nurburgring, and next to it throw a Carrera GT, or Ferrari Enzo, or a Chrylser ME 412 (AMG engine), hell throw in there an E55, I guarentte you, the Charger will be sucking in the exhaust of any vehicles I had mentioned. Chargers, or any old school American Muscle vehicle, are staright line vehicles, but the slightest curve in the road, and by by. Oh- BTW, just to prove you wrong- well... look Below...

Ferrari F50 Twin Turbo

power output:
850 hp / 625 kw at 7.200 rpm, 800 nm at 6.500 rpm, max rpm 8.500; 1,47 kg/HP !!!, booster for power-regulation from 600–850 hp

performance:
0-100 km/h 3,0 sec.
0-200 km/h 8,4 sec.
standing 1/4 mile 8,0 sec.
top speed 380 km/h

Koenig.

Almost two seconds faster than that Viper. With less HP. Hennessey who???

Charger what? Viper where? Oh! In the rear-view. Might want to take off the point for American Muscle and switch it over to Euro.

And stop using: "Money this, money that." Because none of that matters at a light- or at a track. And one more thing- even though, that Supra beats my little E55- At the end of the day, I drive home the Mercedes, and he drives home the Toyota. Or Dodge. Or Ford.

I know from personal experience, a friend of mine has a Mustang GT '00. That car has one problem after another. From just not starting up in the morning to stalling at traffic lights, to his newest, and most recent problem, the rattling of the engine. It sounds like its about to shatter. And no one knows whats wrong with it- piece of ****. Funny how my Benz starts up in the morning.

Oh! Look i have written so much, your Pep Boys appointment! You already running ten minutes late- and considering your going to have to push your Rustang there-you might as well make another appointment.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320

Hennessey

Power Output:

Renntech who???

I dont want to hijack this thread but you do know that Treynor traded in his 1000rwhp Viper for the SL 65 AMG, right? (Thats what I heard) It just puts everything into perspective that not all people are out there for pure speed only. And I am sure that viper is no where near the $200G territory of the 65 AMG.

Iron Sheik
Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 320
[QUOTE=Lexani]
Ferrari F50 Twin Turbo

power output:
850 hp / 625 kw at 7.200 rpm, 800 nm at 6.500 rpm, max rpm 8.500; 1,47 kg/HP !!!, booster for power-regulation from 600–850 hp

performance:
0-100 km/h 3,0 sec.
0-200 km/h 8,4 sec.
top speed 380 km/h

Koenig.

[QUOTE]

Is it me or is something wrong with this data?
0-200 km in 8.4, yet the standing 1/4 mile is 8.0 second.
Shouldn't this car be trapping WAY over 200 km/h (125 mph) with a 1/4 mile speed of 8.0 seconds? Maybe somewhere around 160 mph or 260 km/h?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Iron Sheik
Old 01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Iron Sheik][QUOTE=Lexani]
Ferrari F50 Twin Turbo

power output:

performance:
0-100 km/h 3,0 sec.
0-200 km/h 8,4 sec.
top speed 380 km/h

Koenig.

Is it me or is something wrong with this data?
0-200 km in 8.4, yet the standing 1/4 mile is 8.0 second.
Shouldn't this car be trapping WAY over 200 km/h (125 mph) with a 1/4 mile speed of 8.0 seconds? Maybe somewhere around 160 mph or 260 km/h?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Iron Sheik
Taken straight from their site.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Iron Sheik
I dont want to hijack this thread but you do know that Treynor traded in his 1000rwhp Viper for the SL 65 AMG, right? (Thats what I heard) It just puts everything into perspective that not all people are out there for pure speed only. And I am sure that viper is no where near the $200G territory of the 65 AMG.

Iron Sheik

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.

Quick Reply: E55 vs IS300 TurboooooooOooo