M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Problem with SkyView roof (Quality issue or just bad luck?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with SkyView roof (Quality issue or just bad luck?)

Hi,

I am the owner of a 2000 ML320 with the skyview roof. About 7000 miles out of warranty the roof would get stuck when openning. I took my ML to the local dealer and they said it was the rails that were broken and it would cost $4000 to fix. I decided to try to set up a meeting with my region rep, but the dealership told me that since I just moved to the area I do not have an ongoing relationship with the dealership and they will not be able to set up a meeting for me. I was directed to call 800-FOR-MERCEDES.

I called today and spoke to a rep who told me that since I am out of warranty they will stand by what the dealer says and will not set up a meeting for me either. I told her that I think this is more an issue of quality and that even though the warranty is up, I see many people complaining about this roof and it must have quality issues. She said that they warranty has an end period and there is nothing they can do.

Really I have two issues, first I just moved to Tennessee from California and I have only been to this local dealership once, so they do not seem to care to help me. Then I try to call mercedes directly and they basically just defend the dealership and do not offer any help.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a poorly designed part and that failing this soon out of warranty really does point to a bad design? Is it wrong to think that Mercedes should help me with this issue even though I am out of warranty?

Does anyone know of some way to at least get a meeting set up so that I can talk to someone about this issue? Please email me or respond if you do.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 03-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Did you have it changed once thru warranty?

I too own a 2000 ML320 with the skyview option on it.

At around 34K miles, I noticed a small part of the trim around the edge of the roof dampening thru a car wash. I suspected it was a water leak.

Took it in, they took a look, they adviced me to leave the truck with them, gave me a loaner and said they will order a new sky view roof from MB and have it replaced in the next 2-3 days. I asked them why replace the whole roof? I was told, MB had a newly designed roof and the older one was prone to leaks/noise and rail issues. Rather than fix it, since I was under warranty, might as well replace it.

They changed the rails and the roof at 34K. I am currently at almost 80K without any issues..
Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
sorry to say, but it sounds like you are out of luck. mb sticks to the "end of warranty is end of warranty" thing. how else are they going to make money if they are doing warranty work on stuff out of warranty?
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
You could try and negotiate a partial settlement..

MB pays for the part, you pay for the labor....I have been able to negotiate that well until 65K on my truck...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
All Skyview roofs are a problem. If the have not yet broken they will. Thats the primary reason they were discontinued in spite of what the official line is. My dealer refused to sell me one years ago when I was ordering a vehicle. They will not even stock a used ML that has one. Skyview ML's are also worth a lot less than the std roofed ones and at dealer auctions they bring a lot less.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:43 AM

ML320 (Dead), ML55 (Sold), E500 (Sold), Cayenne S (Sold), E550 (Sold), Cayenne TurboS, GL550, GLC300
DAMN DAMN DAMN!!
I just finished out a purchase of a 99 ML320 with the exact same issue 7k out of warrenty and the skyroof had busted. I figured my father was a mechanic and he could fix it but I couldn't get to him before the sale completed.

When I did get in contact with him he said that they should be able to "re-align" it but thats a temporary fix as it will probably grind out of place again.

I live in Boston so I would likely not use it anyway....but for future reference, has anyone re-aligned the roof themselves? As of now the motor is disabled so all I have to do is reconnect it to the powersource after the alignment.

To all that have issues with the skyroof, lets start a collection of names and bombard a rep with the issue! There is definately power in numbers, hopefully.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:55 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Almost 5 years/80K miles on my 2000 ML320 with skyview....no problems...

Had to be replaced once under warranty....but after that, no problems whatsoever...works like a charm, everytime...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:26 PM

99 ML 430
Talking What's Happening With It?

Originally Posted by ml320owner
Hi,

I am the owner of a 2000 ML320 with the skyview roof. About 7000 miles out of warranty the roof would get stuck when openning. I took my ML to the local dealer and they said it was the rails that were broken and it would cost $4000 to fix. I decided to try to set up a meeting with my region rep, but the dealership told me that since I just moved to the area I do not have an ongoing relationship with the dealership and they will not be able to set up a meeting for me. I was directed to call 800-FOR-MERCEDES.

I called today and spoke to a rep who told me that since I am out of warranty they will stand by what the dealer says and will not set up a meeting for me either. I told her that I think this is more an issue of quality and that even though the warranty is up, I see many people complaining about this roof and it must have quality issues. She said that they warranty has an end period and there is nothing they can do.

Really I have two issues, first I just moved to Tennessee from California and I have only been to this local dealership once, so they do not seem to care to help me. Then I try to call mercedes directly and they basically just defend the dealership and do not offer any help.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a poorly designed part and that failing this soon out of warranty really does point to a bad design? Is it wrong to think that Mercedes should help me with this issue even though I am out of warranty?

Does anyone know of some way to at least get a meeting set up so that I can talk to someone about this issue? Please email me or respond if you do.

Thanks,
Nathan
Nathan,

What's happening with it? Does it not open or making a clicking sound?
I had the same problem with mine when I had my ML 430 skyroof. It's an easy fix. I'm looking for the thread now.....can save you $4k
Old 03-30-2005, 01:23 PM

andaya,

It was clicking at one point, but that is not the problem. I did take out the motor as stated in that thread and cleaned it. When I open the roof it binds to one side, so it must be the rails as the dealer stated in the $4000 quote.

Nathan
Old 03-30-2005, 07:11 PM

If all else fails...

Have not worked on a Skyview but I figure it works like a regular sun roof (with respect to replacement). Buy a new Skyview, I expect it will come as a big module that literally bolt up to the roof (w/ nuts actually). Biggest problem will be removing/installing headliner. With a part that expensive you might get some competitive bids (online and local). Friendly with a body shop? I expect they can get 20% off at a min. Will be a nice Saturday job.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:16 PM

ML320 (Dead), ML55 (Sold), E500 (Sold), Cayenne S (Sold), E550 (Sold), Cayenne TurboS, GL550, GLC300
It's not as simple as he said...Believe me!

I started a thread on another forum for this problem exactly. I have been doing the number crunching as well as some odd experimentation.

I would not suggest any of this as this is my second car and I purchased this one below KBB value (far below)

Please read this and give suggestions accordingly:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...sp?tid=1205735
Old 04-05-2005, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by mihir_d
Had to be replaced once under warranty....but after that, no problems whatsoever...works like a charm, everytime...
Ours has had no issues (knock on wood)...ML has 77k on it. Then again, we don't use it much, maybe open it fully once in a while when it's nice but other than that, it's either closed or cracked open a bit

Tho, the rails to it are making noises in the cabin. Our independent MB dealer found that out when we asked them to take a look at creaking noises and its the skyview...but works normally.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:00 AM

l sl 7.3 koenig l cl 7.3 koenig l Ml 350
i used to own a ml320 2000, i had it for 5 years and never had any problems with it at all everything was good, and i sold to a good friend of mine 2 years ago coz i got a ml55 amg 2004 abd hes still not haveing problems. The car is 7 years old and there was no problems with the engine skiroof or anything
Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Mine is 7 years old too...100K miles...

No problems with the skyview roof yet..touch wood....its spring time..and its time to start enjoying the roof again...