M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML500S poor ride quality???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500S poor ride quality???

Just bought a mint condition ML 500 Sport Loaded. At first I just thought the ride quality was normal. Then I hoped in someone elses ML and it was night and day. I feel every bump, crack, pothole in the road and it is very obvious. Does anyone else think their ML rides like a tank? Please post your ride quality experiences. Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 PM

Sorry....forgot the year. It is a 2002 ML 500 Sport.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
My ML430 is a 1999 and it rides like a truck. Not too smooth. I feel all the bumps. But thats what I like when it comes to "SUV's".

A friend of mine just bought a 2004 ML500 and he says its the best ride he's ever had in a SUV. He previously had a BMW X5 and he says the ML500 blows it away!

I imagine the newer models would be real nice to ride in....unlike my 1999 "truck".

Old 04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 Silver/Black Sport/Sunroof/Comfort/Entertainment Packages, Icon-TV DVD & headrests
Firstly, congratulations on your new purchase!! I'm sure you will love her!!

We also drive a 2002 ML500 Sports edition and we have also driven in various other suv's and trucks. In comparison we feel the ride quality in the ML is far superior to what we have experienced in our other trucks.

Yeah, we do feel the bumps too, but when you're talking ride quality - that's what you can expect from the sport-tuned suspension. Overall I'd say the ride quality is superior than MOST other suv's (I can't vouch for all cause obviously I've only owned a handful myself) but it's good and it handles great.

I hope that helps a little bit at least - in the satisfaction assessment category-I'd say highly satisfied!!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Question For You

Originally Posted by mbfan02
Just bought a mint condition ML 500 Sport Loaded. At first I just thought the ride quality was normal. Then I hoped in someone elses ML and it was night and day. I feel every bump, crack, pothole in the road and it is very obvious. Does anyone else think their ML rides like a tank? Please post your ride quality experiences. Thanks
Hello,

I have a 2003 ML500 Sport. When you compared ride quality in the other ML, did you drive the same stretch of road? The ML seems to be rough riding on bad roads, but extremely smooth and steady on good roads.

Also the Sport designation does not mean the ML has any suspension modification from other MLs. Sport is merely an appearance package from what I understand.

Regards,
h3rmes
Old 04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
that is correct, the only sport tuned W163 suspension is on the AMG model... 500 sport has the same suspension as all the other ones. I am willing to bet its your tires. Check your tire pressures... recommended tire pressure for the ML is 29-31 psi i believe. Check your gas cap for the correct information. Also it may be time for new tires and shocks.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500 Silver/Black Sport/Sunroof/Comfort/Entertainment Packages, Icon-TV DVD & headrests
Check out this similar thread...

Yeah, you guys are right...I found a similar thread about what the sport package includes. In case you want to check it out...http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...sp?tid=1196947
Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

That an interesting point about the ML55

Originally Posted by AlBoston
that is correct, the only sport tuned W163 suspension is on the AMG model... 500 sport has the same suspension as all the other ones. I am willing to bet its your tires. Check your tire pressures... recommended tire pressure for the ML is 29-31 psi i believe. Check your gas cap for the correct information. Also it may be time for new tires and shocks.
Does anyone know what they do to the ML55 that they don't do on the other MLs besides the monster AMG engine and subtle interior trimming? I hear 2 conflicting stories. On one hand, people are saying that it rides better than an X5, while other are quick to point out that it rides hard and its worse than the ML500 ride.

Speaking of which, there seems to be alot of people doing the H&R/Eibach + truck lowering and just as many people removing this stuff before they sell the car. Is it because it not such a great upgrade?

I'd like to know what they do to the ML55 suspension anyway. It might help me figure out whether I want to do an OEM suspension upgrade rather than go the H&R/Eibach + lowering the truck route. If I had to get rid of the car in the future, I don't want the trouble of removing them when I sell.

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 04-13-2005, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
ML55 sits slightly lower, has AMG tuned shocks and rear springs. I believe the front torsion bars remain the same. Also ML55 sway bars are slightly larger.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Really!

Originally Posted by AlBoston
ML55 sits slightly lower, has AMG tuned shocks and rear springs. I believe the front torsion bars remain the same. Also ML55 sway bars are slightly larger.
Don't get me wrong, but I looked up the ML55 part numbers for the rear shocks and they seem identical to the ML500. Either the website I've been consulting is dead wrong or I am going to my dealer and getting this upgrade done straight away!

Seriously though, how about ride quality? Improvement? OR harder riding than the ML500?

Are there part no. for the upgrade available? I have an indie MB garage that I can hire to do the job.

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 04-14-2005, 11:09 AM
Almost a Member!

ML55 Part No. Found I Think!

Originally Posted by h3rmes
Don't get me wrong, but I looked up the ML55 part numbers for the rear shocks and they seem identical to the ML500. Either the website I've been consulting is dead wrong or I am going to my dealer and getting this upgrade done straight away!

Seriously though, how about ride quality? Improvement? OR harder riding than the ML500?

Are there part no. for the upgrade available? I have an indie MB garage that I can hire to do the job.

Regards,
H3rmes
According to Wolfgang's immensely helpful website, I have discerned the following:

1. 2002+ ML55 has a 36mm stabilizer bar in the front, whilst our ML500/320/430/350 have a mere 35mm bar. Don't know the part number.

2. Rear stabilizer bar is 22mm. Apparently this item is bigger than stock. Don't know the part no.

3. Wolfgang's table seems a bit spotty about the shock part numbers for the ML55. He has indicated revised shock valving with the following part numbers:

a. Rear 163 320 21 13 ? The question mark begs the question is this the correct part number?

b. There isn't a comment about the front shocks.

Any help is appreciated

Regards,
h3rmes
Old 04-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML

Regards,
H3rmes
I wouldn't do that, just yet. You want to know how harsher ride feels, progressive increase the tire pressure and make sure you like what you get in the short term. In the long term, it may affect structural integrity. The tire pressure thing will simulate spring stiffness accurately but will not simulate cornering stability which is a function of the torsion bar/sway bar (I don't know what terminology applies to the ML). If you still want, then realize this will be expensive to switch all suspension components to match the ML55's - spend the money on 19-20" rims and low profile tires instead. This option gives you good looks, very good looks for that matter and gives you a reasonably harsh ride. If you're still not happy with that, get aftermarket springs and lower the truck just a tad - expensive option, but since you're loaded, if you still want a bad-*** stiff ride that corners hard also (you'll eventually have to invest in a tire company), upgrade the sway bars - aftermarkets are most likely cheaper.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Appreciate the tip Darkman

Originally Posted by Darkmann
I wouldn't do that, just yet. You want to know how harsher ride feels, progressive increase the tire pressure and make sure you like what you get in the short term. In the long term, it may affect structural integrity. The tire pressure thing will simulate spring stiffness accurately but will not simulate cornering stability which is a function of the torsion bar/sway bar (I don't know what terminology applies to the ML). If you still want, then realize this will be expensive to switch all suspension components to match the ML55's - spend the money on 19-20" rims and low profile tires instead. This option gives you good looks, very good looks for that matter and gives you a reasonably harsh ride. If you're still not happy with that, get aftermarket springs and lower the truck just a tad - expensive option, but since you're loaded, if you still want a bad-*** stiff ride that corners hard also (you'll eventually have to invest in a tire company), upgrade the sway bars - aftermarkets are most likely cheaper.
Whoa! I was thinking about 18" rims at the most. I still need to use this thing in the winter time. Will 19"-20" rims get me in trouble in the snow?

I've read some very mixed reviews about after market springs like H&R and Eibach. Either they are really great or they are taking them off to try something else.

I've contacted Renntech and they don't stock parts for their ML sport suspension package anymore which will run me about 6K. Too bad because that is within my budget.

Do you think the ML55 suspension components will likely exceed this amount? Seems like the ML55 suspension parts are shrouded in mystery and it would appear no one has tried this modification.

There must be a reason: perhaps the obvious answer? The ML suspension can not be significantly improved at all? Say it isn't so!

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Ride quality

Regards,
H3rmes
Ride quality is very personal. I've had 18s with 285/50s on my '98 for 7 years and thought the ride was quite good, but I like firm. It improved when I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins at about 60k.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:24 PM

2001 ML320 E, 2003 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Ride quality is very personal. I've had 18s with 285/50s on my '98 for 7 years and thought the ride was quite good, but I like firm. It improved when I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins at about 60k.

Don't know much about the Sport Model, but watch the tires and especially the profile size (40,50,60, etc). The bigger the rim, the smaller the profile, the harsher the ride, especially in a vehicle rated for close to 5/8 ton. If you want to keep a smooth ride, I would recommend staying with the 17" rims, and a good spongy balloon tire like the Michelin Cross terain.

Yea, I know not to cool.

Ed.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ride quality

Regards,
H3rmes
Ride quality is somewhat like color--everyone has different likes and everyone sees/feels it differently. To me, an underdamped floaty ride is terrible, while to some it may be the ultimate in comfort.

I am running 18s with 285/50s on my '98, and think it is "just right." What made it better was to install Bilstein shocks a couple years ago. They are firm without being harsh.

Again, though, I don't knwo what you're looking for.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Ride quality is somewhat like color--everyone has different likes and everyone sees/feels it differently. To me, an underdamped floaty ride is terrible, while to some it may be the ultimate in comfort.

I am running 18s with 285/50s on my '98, and think it is "just right." What made it better was to install Bilstein shocks a couple years ago. They are firm without being harsh.

Again, though, I don't knwo what you're looking for.

Fair point. Let me state that my other car is a BMW 740i w/Sport Package. Reviewers have been critical about the stiff ride quality and intrusive road noise.

I love it. I was looking to create a similar ride and feel in the ML500 without losing the snow traction in the winter time. Now I know that the ML500 should be forgiven in the ride and handling department. It's nearly a 7+ year old body on frame design.

I have heard very good results with Bilsteins. It was recommended for the car I used to drive a few years back: Crown Victoria LX. It too suffers in the handling and ride quality department because it has a body on frame design as well.

Looks like I may have to dump the stock EVO 17" rims and try the 18" AMG rims with the Michelin Cross Terrains. Any reason why you chose the Yokohamas?

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 04-17-2005, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tires/wheels for ML

Looks like I may have to dump the stock EVO 17" rims and try the 18" AMG rims with the Michelin Cross Terrains. Any reason why you chose the Yokohamas?

Regards,
H3rmes
I chose the Yokohamas originally because they were one of the few 18" tires in the correct size back then designed specificallly for "sport trucks"/SUVs. I liked them and got a second set when they wore out. They are a dry/wet performance tire and not for snow (I have separate 17" wheels mounted with snow tires for winter) and have a high load rating. They also are very good looking with an aggresive tread sutiable for a truck, but also quiet and comfortable.

Tire RAck - Yokohama AVS/ST

Yokohama
Old 04-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Looked at them at Tire Rack

I chose the Yokohamas originally because they were one of the few 18" tires in the correct size back then designed specificallly for "sport trucks"/SUVs. I liked them and got a second set when they wore out. They are a dry/wet performance tire and not for snow (I have separate 17" wheels mounted with snow tires for winter) and have a high load rating. They also are very good looking with an aggresive tread sutiable for a truck, but also quiet and comfortable.

Tire RAck - Yokohama AVS/ST

Yokohama

Great tires! Looks like if I'm going bigger that 17" I might be looking at 2 sets of tires. One for summer and one for winter. The Michelin Cross Terrains won't work with 18" or even the 19" AMG rims on Tire Rack.

This reminds me, this group has posted a "What Can Go Wrong in a W163". But why hasn't anyone posted best upgrades for the W163? I propose a sticky for the best upgrades for the W163.

Regards,
H3rmes
Old 04-18-2005, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Performance All-Season tires

Great tires! Looks like if I'm going bigger that 17" I might be looking at 2 sets of tires. One for summer and one for winter. The Michelin Cross Terrains won't work with 18" or even the 19" AMG rims on Tire Rack.

This reminds me, this group has posted a "What Can Go Wrong in a W163". But why hasn't anyone posted best upgrades for the W163? I propose a sticky for the best upgrades for the W163.

Regards,
H3rmes
Actually, there are a coujple choices in all-season 18" (285/50)--The Michelin
Pilot LTX

and the Pirelli Scorpion Zero

I have no personal experience with either of these, but the Pirellis seem the best value. Read the reviews and surveys at tirerack.com. Neither will compare with a dedicated snow tire in those conditions, but they can get you by. If you upgrade wheels, the best in my opinion is to throw some studless snows on your old wheels and use those for winter conditions.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

I use the Pirrelis. They are a sensational tyre. Great dry road grip, great wet road grip, good dirt road grip and OK in mud. They have even handled 1/2 a day on my favorite race track! (I was bored while waiting for my clients to arrive for a driver training day)

They have been on my car for over 25,000 km (15,500 miles) and still have plenty of tread left to go. When they do finally wear out I will certainly be getting them again.

Also, with regard to ride quality and tyre pressures, I run my tyres on 40 psi all day every day, a firm ride with good raod holding, the bonus is I get much better fuel economy than everyone else seems to, 14-15 l/100 km around town.

Cheers
Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Were there any differences between the 2 MLs?

Originally Posted by mbfan02
Looks like your ML was a 2002 ML500 Sport. What year was the other ML you drove? Was it also a ML500 Sport? How many miles on the odo from your ML vs. the other one you drove?

The reason I ask is that I've read a couple of places that MLs that have lower mileage ride better, however, the shocks go bad rather quickly over time.

Another reason I ask is that there might have been some changes that MB made in the suspension between your model year and the 2005. Many reviewers seem to think that the 2005 model is the best year for the ML500.

I am hoping to find a cost effective way of improving the ride quality without trading in the ML500. I hear the trade-in values are absolutely horrendeous on the ML. Maybe I should simply consider a complete OEM shock replacement? I only have 20K on the odo.

Regards,
Andy