M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

"Breaking In"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
"Breaking In"

I remember someone had posted a link a while ago that was the basically the consensus on what to do for an ML during the break-in period (first 5K miles or so). Does anyone still have the link. I just got my ML (after so many years) and will make another thread for it when I get pictures and things.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I think it's just "use varying speed and don't redline it" for 1000 miles.

No?
Old 06-29-2002, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
I know that basically it's to not really stress the engine much, but I think I remember seeing someone post a page that had some more detailed things for the ML which make it easier later into the car's life.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:11 PM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500
Do an archive search at mbnz.org for detail information on "break in" method.

It's been mentioned there several times before. BTW, I'm currently at 2,500 miles on my ML500. What I've been doing is maintaining an RPM of 3000 or less. I'm still waiting for my topsider to come so I could do the oil change.
Old 07-01-2002, 01:54 PM

What I'm about to say will be refuted by many, however, I have 25 years of trouble free engines and drivetrains and many friends who trust my opinions on cars....

A "ritual" that I follow is not to buy a car with more than 15-20miles whenever possible (you'd be surprised how much engine damage can be done in 25miles).

First day or next day I take a hundred mile highway trip varying the engine speeds by 500rpm without exceeding 3500-4000rpm. After 750miles, I drain the oil(hot) for 30mins getting the last drops out and change the filter to remove any metal burrs from my new engine. I change the oil again at 1500miles and then 3000miles. After that I go 4000miles or 6months whichever comes first using synthetic or synthetic blend oil.

I know it sounds excessive, but really it's easy to do and the result will be an engine that will outlive the upholstery and paint!

I've always changed the transmission and differential oil at 7000k using factory gear oils and then every 15K or two years. Now the factory is telling me it's for life, but only time will tell!

Rgds, Ed
Old 07-01-2002, 03:33 PM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500
ML Dude...what MPG are you getting for your ML?

Currently, I'm averaging only 15.4 mpg with a range of 265 miles. I'm still in the break-in process. As such, I try to maintain an RPM of 3,000 or less - both freeway and city.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:06 PM

Hey USF,

If you have a 430, your mileage is not bad and should get better! I think mine averaged about 13-14mpg for the first few thousand miles and now averages 16-17mpg for all around driving. Of course freeway mileage is better, on a recent trip I averaged 20mpg with an average speed of 79mph. My trip computer tells me that I will get 290miles from a full tank when all I have been doing is city driving.

As far as staying at or below 3000rpm, don't let your engine groove at low rpms. After 100 miles you can take it up to 4000rpm and then after 500miles you can safely run at 4500-5000rpm for short periods. That should give you a nice break-in since the engine will set in at all normal engine speeds.

Best! Ed
Old 07-01-2002, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
K Thanks all for the input.
Old 07-02-2002, 03:19 AM
USF
Almost a Member!

2002 ML500
ML Dude:

So after 500 miles (Currently, I have 2,500 miles), it's ok to drive at RPM at 4,500 to 5,000? But that sounds like just normal driving to me. I have the ML500 and if I drive at RPM at 4,500 to 5,000 on the freeway or local, I would only yield 14.7mpg or less with a range of 250 miles.

At 4,500 to 5,000 RPM on the freeway, my average speed would be 82mph. At 2,500 to 3,000 RPM, my average speed would be 72mph - 77mph depending on the slope of the road.

Well, I hope my Topsider arrives soon. Hopefully, with an oil change, maybe my MPG will increase.

Thanks again, ML Dude!
Old 07-03-2002, 05:37 AM

ML270
Changing the oil early, will not change your fuel economy.

A word of caution, changing the oil so early, may not be in your best interests, as the initual fill of oil in your car, is designed to help the engine break in.

Some oil such as Mobil 1, have reduced friction characters, which may marginally improve fuel economy. However even Mobil say to leave the breaking in oil in, until the engine is fully broken in. The oil which is in the engine from new, except for AMG cars, is not Mobil 1, but is Fuch's Titan EM 530 DC, little is known down here on this oil, but MB states it is a special blend, for initual fill, whilst the engine is run in.

The best oil to use, is a fully Synthetic oil. Bear in mind that most major brands like Mobil, Castrol and Valvoline, do not appear to be a full synthetic oils, They are synthetically enhanced, which is a big cost saving. A full synthetic oil, should give you better fuel consumption, because of reduced friction. It also greatly reduces engine wear, but putting it in too early, will slow the breaking period down greatly.

Perhaps someone with the knowledge of USA products, can tell you the full synthetic brands and types.

To my knowledge AMSOL, is a full synthetic oil, but I believe that it may not be approved by MB.

Regards

Col Tigwell Downunder
Old 07-03-2002, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Originally posted by Col Tigwell
Changing the oil early, will not change your fuel economy.

A word of caution, changing the oil so early, may not be in your best interests, as the initual fill of oil in your car, is designed to help the engine break in....

... The oil which is in the engine from new, except for AMG cars, is not Mobil 1, but is Fuch's Titan EM 530 DC, little is known down here on this oil, but MB states it is a special blend, for initual fill, whilst the engine is run in.

....Bear in mind that most major brands like Mobil, Castrol and Valvoline, do not appear to be a full synthetic oils, They are synthetically enhanced, which is a big cost saving. A full synthetic oil, should give you better fuel consumption, because of reduced friction. It also greatly reduces engine wear, but putting it in too early, will slow the breaking period down greatly.

Perhaps someone with the knowledge of USA products, can tell you the full synthetic brands and types.

To my knowledge AMSOIL, is a full synthetic oil, but I believe that it may not be approved by MB.

Regards

Col Tigwell Downunder
Col. Tigwell, this is very interesting information. I wonder where one can get more info about the original fill oil type. In the US (and elsewhere, I would think) Mobil advertises its Mobil-1 brand as "Fully Synthetic". Are they just messing with us?
Old 07-03-2002, 05:32 PM

ML270
Go to

www.mercedesshop.com

Do a search on Synthetic oils

Look for the title "The great confusion at Mobil".

This shops very clearly that Mobil are playing with Mobil 1 mixes, and it may not be in your interest.

I have sent an email to Fuchs in Germany, about the initual fill oil, but at yet have no reply. Fuchs have an office in the USA, if you do a search on Fuchs Lubricants, it should bring it up.

If you are to change the oil, please also change the filter.

Regards

Col Tigwell Downunder
Old 07-03-2002, 06:49 PM

Greetings Col.

Not sure who said that changing the oil frequently would improve the fuel mileage mate, I know I didn't.

It's interesting news about the initial oil fill, from the information on the other forum about oil, I'm under the impression that DB has been shipping new cars with Mobil-1 since late 2000.

Mobil has a new Tri-syn formula to address the complaints that they were not selling a "true" synthetic. The other forum has had some very knowledge people discussing that topic ad nauseum!

Rgds, Ed
Old 07-03-2002, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
ML Dude, can you find out "the other forum" and post, cause this is very interesting. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:04 PM

Hey Darkmann,

Didn't mean to be mysterious, the other site is mercedesshop. There we treat oil like religion and you'll find many discussions and opinions (including my own).

The following thread is an example of an interesting discussion about synthetics, enjoy.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=35289
Old 07-06-2002, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by ML Dude
Hey Darkmann,

Didn't mean to be mysterious, the other site is mercedesshop. There we treat oil like religion and you'll find many discussions and opinions (including my own).

The following thread is an example of an interesting discussion about synthetics, enjoy.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...threadid=35289
Wow, great link. That kept me reading for a while.

Col Tigwell: Amsoil meets MB spec AG 226.1.

Last edited by MDV Synthetics; 07-06-2002 at 07:15 PM.