M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Easy way to change 12V outlet to switch off with ign?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
Easy way to change 12V outlet to switch off with ign?

I installed an XM Myfi into my ML today, powering it off the 12V outlet under the dash. However, this outlet does not power off when the ign is turned off so I am afraid of forgetting to turn off the XM and having it run down my battery. I did change a setting in the Myfi unit for delayed power off after an hour, but still have to turn nit off and on manually. It has a sensor in it for switched outlets so that it comes on and off with the car, however my ML never switches off the outlet so that feature doesnt work. Is there an easy way to change this (maybe dealer programming option) or would it require rewiring it into some other switched circuit? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2005, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
I installed an XM Myfi into my ML today, powering it off the 12V outlet under the dash. However, this outlet does not power off when the ign is turned off so I am afraid of forgetting to turn off the XM and having it run down my battery. I did change a setting in the Myfi unit for delayed power off after an hour, but still have to turn nit off and on manually. It has a sensor in it for switched outlets so that it comes on and off with the car, however my ML never switches off the outlet so that feature doesnt work. Is there an easy way to change this (maybe dealer programming option) or would it require rewiring it into some other switched circuit? Thanks!
..........if you disarticulate that part of the unit that directly plugs into your car's cig lighter, you will find a red and black wire. After that you have two options. option one is to wire the red and black wire to a switched power and ground source respectively. Option two which I prefer is to have any reputable audio shop build a relay for you directly from your car battery. With the relay, you will have multiple switched power sources for your car for now and future uses. I have such a set up in my JLO FM moulated IPOD dock. LINK

Ted
Old 11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........if you disarticulate that part of the unit that directly plugs into your car's cig lighter, you will find a red and black wire. After that you have two options. option one is to wire the red and black wire to a switched power and ground source respectively. Option two which I prefer is to have any reputable audio shop build a relay for you directly from your car battery. With the relay, you will have multiple switched power sources for your car for now and future uses. I have such a set up in my JLO FM moulated IPOD dock. LINK

Ted
wow well if you dont want to pay the $60 an hour rate(I am a certified installer PS) hard wire it directly to either the lighter in the center console or in to the radio's wiring harness where ignition is already there. If your not handy or dont have the tools bring it to a shop and have them do it. How did you run your satelite antenna?

If you are handy with wiring I would dissasemble the cigarette lighter power cord(from the sat radio) keeping the board intact using heat shrink to protect it, and hard wiring it in to the radio using the Amp turn on from the radio, it will turn on with the radio even with the car off.
-Pete
PS make sure you keep it fused usually a 2.5amp fuse
Old 11-25-2005, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the info. I am handy with wiring, just thought maybe there was a quick switch or customization setting somewhere that made the outlets switchable or constant. Reading my owners manual it says they are constant, so I guess it's time to break out the strippers and find a wire. Hate to have to disassemble the center console or remove the radio. Seems like you always end up with something squeaking or loose when you do. But I guess I'll tackle that tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 AM

2009 C350 Sport, 2004 ML350
Connect your XM to the following under the passenger's side panel - see attached pic.

The power connection comes from circuit 30 (always on) and circuit 15r (ignition on). You can tap into these for testing from the footwell fuse box as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails Easy way to change 12V outlet to switch off with ign?-ml.jpg  
Old 11-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Cool! Thanks. Saved me lots of work with that one picture!