M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Satisfied ML owners please READ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Satisfied ML owners please READ

OK, I have heard many disatisfied ML owners here... is that car all that bad? Or is it because satisfied owners don't log-on this forum?

Satisfied owners with little or no problem with thier ML please make yourself heard HERE:
Old 07-25-2002, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
According to theory put out by the consensus reached on many other posts, people will only post if they have a problem, not if they are satisfied.

I've said this exact thing in 5 or 6 other posts but - the early model year ML's had many problems, but by '01 and '02 most of these have been fixed.

The underlying quality is less than that of older MB's or some of the higher-end current MB's, but the ML is not a bad car on the whole. There have not been many people with '02's complaining.

Personally, my ML has had no problems but I guess that's supposed to happen as it is almost new.

Last year, I had a relative's '01 ML here so I could put some accessories, etc. on it for them and now it has about 18,000 miles and not a single problem.

It really depends on the model year you are talking about. The '98 and '99 model years (MY) had many problems - and you are safer with the '00-'02 ML in terms of quality.

But that's natural.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Our '00 ML320 has been very reliable. 2.5 years and almost 40,000 miles we've had it in for

1) Fuel pump - car would bog occasionally - covered w/ warranty

2) Driver's Mirror - wife knocked it off - covered w/warranty

One thing to be aware of for all MLs - they go through brakes!

We replaced the front pads at Service A, rears and fronts at Service B. I expect to have to cough up big bucks (~$1000) on the next service - to replace the rotors.

We're very happy with the car. Just wish it had bixenons, true climate control, rain-sensing wipers, etc. like the new ones!
Old 07-25-2002, 11:34 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
I'm one of the 'great unwashed" ;-)

Who is unhappy with his ML when it gives trouble, but ok with it while it's going well. So I'm not sure if I qualify to post on this thread as a 'satisfied owner'.
However, I'm pleased to say for the last 6 months / 6,000 miles everything has been going ok. But the first 24,000 miles or so were h*ll with almost monthly warranty electrical problems - practically all the known problems, some of them several times !
The situation was not helped by a poor dealer (imho) and the local reps couldn't care less attitude.
I suspect the newer models 2001 / 02's are better - but it's probably too early to be sure.
A couple of things I am sure about -
1. The ML is not aswell made / put together as other MB's and nothing like the MB's of the late 70's early 80's
2. After the treatment I received from the MB regional rep I won't ever be buying another MB product. Once this ML's out of warranty its gone....

Last edited by timf; 07-25-2002 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure that satisfaction is a question/answer that means anything... That's why I largely ignore C&D, R&T and CR review, because they ask touchy, feely questions about cars which aren't useful for my decision making.

If you are a Mercedes buyer, hopefully you are sophisticated enough to care about design, you are knowledgeable about the product. (I know some people are buying the badge)

Well that said, I'm very pleased with the design of the ML, I like the safety features, I enjoy the V8 engine.

But, the truck is designed to be a truck not a luxury blend like the Japanese demographics must indicate we like. So, I agree that it needs climate control, steering wheel control switches(a saftey item), one touch window/sunroof control, and HID lighting would be nice!

Not too satisfied with the longterm prospects for reliability, it was built by an inexperienced work force and has shown the results of this inexperience with a high number of annoying quality issues. But here in is a plus to the ML, it doesn't have any major problems(brake eating aside), the problems are all relatively minor! The design is proving to be well suited to the kind of driving that most of us do. The annoyances, well that's probably a result of our TGIF work ethic....

My $.02
Old 07-26-2002, 10:35 PM

When I started this thread, the question I had in my mind was that, do MOST MLs have problems (which in result causes so many people to write about it) or it is because ONLY owners with problematic MLs write in this forum...

I think by now, the ML is known to be more problematic than its siblings but does it apply to all MLs?

I surely don't see many posts claiming the ML to be problem free...

Last edited by feathersnake; 07-26-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2002, 10:42 PM
Almost a Member!

My ML has been great. Other than a few minor things, It has been problem free. I am an very happy ml'er!

2001 Black ML320
Old 07-26-2002, 11:46 PM

Other than a few minor things, it has been problem free....

I know exactly what you mean by that - I could say the same about my ML430 :-)
Surprising how many owners say their ML has given them no problems ........ and then go onto say apart from x,y,z etc !!
So in actual fact their ML has not been problem free, it's just that some owners are more accepting of problems while others are not.
Of course there will be some ML's which truly are problem free - at least for the time being. But I'm convinced due to the quality (lack of) of some components it's only a matter of time (I figure less than 60,000 miles) before something breaks on these problem free ML's.
I guess I'm expect MB like quality from the 70's & 80's when MB truly were built to last....
Old 07-26-2002, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Re: Other than a few minor things, it has been problem free....

Originally posted by timf
I know exactly what you mean by that - I could say the same about my ML430 :-)
Surprising how many owners say their ML has given them no problems ........ and then go onto say apart from x,y,z etc !!
So in actual fact their ML has not been problem free, it's just that some owners are more accepting of problems while others are not.
Of course there will be some ML's which truly are problem free - at least for the time being. But I'm convinced due to the quality (lack of) of some components it's only a matter of time (I figure less than 60,000 miles) before something breaks on these problem free ML's.
I guess I'm expect MB like quality from the 70's & 80's when MB truly were built to last....
Is there any car that is 100% problem free?
I cant think of any car that me or my family has owned that has been problem free, and we have owned alot of cars.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:59 PM

Of course no car is totally problem free

Not these days at least given the complexity of a modern car. But certain models and makes have more than their fair and the ML by all accounts is one of them.
Actually, come to think of it I did have a 1989 BMW 316i (bought new) which I ran for three years which had zero problems - not even minor ones - probably got lucky with that one.
The only problem I've had with my Porsche 996 has been the tranny (it leaked oil) and guess what ? It was made by MB doh!!!
On my ML the 'minor' problems have been alternator bearing failing, battery going open circuit without warning, AAM module failed twice, MCS failed, O2 sensor (twice), front power seat, machine gun door locks, fuel pump, window switches etc etc
In all 23 warranty claims and not including little things which don't bother me like rattles & squeeks.
Other than the above it's been perfect !!!!

PS wanna swap ? :-)
Old 07-27-2002, 12:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Re: Of course no car is totally problem free

Originally posted by timf
Not these days at least given the complexity of a modern car. But certain models and makes have more than their fair and the ML by all accounts is one of them.
Actually, come to think of it I did have a 1989 BMW 316i (bought new) which I ran for three years which had zero problems - not even minor ones - probably got lucky with that one.
The only problem I've had with my Porsche 996 has been the tranny (it leaked oil) and guess what ? It was made by MB doh!!!
On my ML the 'minor' problems have been alternator bearing failing, battery going open circuit without warning, AAM module failed twice, MCS failed, O2 sensor (twice), front power seat, machine gun door locks, fuel pump, window switches etc etc
In all 23 warranty claims and not including little things which don't bother me like rattles & squeeks.
Other than the above it's been perfect !!!!

PS wanna swap ? :-)
When I Say Little, I mean small things such as my speaker rattled, my phone got bad reception, door handle stopped operating (after they replaced the speaker), etc.

On a Side note, My father had a 2001 996TT which is now gone. That one was far from perfect. I found "The Porsche Experience" Far From Rewarding.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:39 AM

Well, I have a Honda Accord 1998 obsolutely problem free except minor scratches. The only time it went in the shop was because my wife forgot the fuel cap at the gas station after fueling...

I had an Acura Integra 1995 obsolutely problem free, until I decided to go cheap and opted to change the timing belt at a local car shop instead of dealer, it snapped on highway and damaged the engine...

I had a Ford Probe 1986, can't go from point A to point B without worrying it might stall without reason, problems after problems....

My C280 1996 is almost problem free except for wiper stuck and a noisy fan for the 5 first minutes after igniting engine during cold winter weather...

If a fuel pump needs to be changed few times, or acceleration pedal fails to respond, or car stalling and needs pick-up truck... those are for me, major problems... as for raddles, wind noise, cup holder dropping out... I couldn't care less.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:16 PM

Nissan Sentra
I have had no major mechanicals other than a shifting irregularity which was solved with an ECU swap. It has had MANY problems, but most minor, faulty sensors, window regulators, well anyway, very annoying little things. I can say that I have checked out the 02's and there are a lot of obvious differences. The truck never misses a beat and I have only changed the brake pads twice in 64K. I am seriously considering getting an ML500 when my lease is up in about 6 months. That should tell you something. I have had two Porsches and I am pretty much through with that program, LOL.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:35 PM

I have read tons of complaints on the ML and most of them are laughable!
My wife and I went Disco hunting (that's a Land Rover Discovery folks) and those units have REAL problems. I read many nightmares from owners of Discos and told my wife I wouldn't buy one.
We checked out the ML on a whim. they looked too small to us. When we actual got in one and drove it, we loved it. I bought a '99 430 a few days later.
I read all the complaints and there weren't many major issues. Broken cup holders? hah! I can deal with that. OF course my 430 has 2 years and 40k left on the warranty.
I hope this thing works out well. If not, it is on MB anyway!
Old 07-29-2002, 01:07 AM

It's good to hear positive comments afterall, I guess the forum is here for unfortunate owners to vent... Keep the good posts coming!
Old 07-29-2002, 09:49 AM

1998 ML-320
What's good about an ML?

I have a '98 ML320, purchased 1/01. It had 42,000 miles at purchase ... now has 103,000.

I purchased it under warranty. Immediately after purchase, an air sensor failed, and was replaced. The electric locking mechanism for the right rear door was faulty and replaced. The window switch was replaced twice (poorly engineered plastic module). I have always had it serviced at prescribed intervals at the dealership (Charlotte NC, Beck Imports - GREAT folks there!), and use only synthetic oil. I have also toured their factory in AL twice, and came away with the sense that those folks are serious about quality.

That's it! Sure, it has some wind noise - more so than my 300E. But, I couldn't put 4 bags of golf clubs and 8 suitcases in the E, either! M=Multipurpose!

Last Dec, I drove from the East Coast to Las Vegas and back, 5,600 miles for the entire trip, alone. I took I-70 out and I-40 back, so it turned out to be a great tour. Lots of weather changes - hours driving thru snow, driving rain, fog, etc. One leg of the trip was a speed run, from Vegas to Indiana in one shot - 36 hours.

At all times, the ML performed flawlessly. Solid, predictable, able to cruise at 80mph for hours upon hours. Full-time 4WD came in handy flying thru Denver in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic with snow/ice/slush on the road. Effortless thru the mountains (but, my next ML will have a 5.0 or 5.5 litre V-8).

For what it is designed for, what more could you ask? Want a sportscar? Buy one! Want a true multi-purpose SUV? Car and Driver likes the BMW because the slalom time is, what, a second less? The ML is built on a box-end truck chassis, and weighs 4500 pounds. In an accident, what do you want to be in?

Go for the 3-pointed star, but buy from a dealer that will stand by you.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:03 AM

ML 500 Sport
4000 miles on my 2002 ML500...no car problems at all...only problem has been the motorola handset.....car is excellent!
Old 07-29-2002, 01:07 PM

You know, it's true that I'm probably nitpicking about faults in my ML. Like someone posted, no car is perfect and I've not had anywhere near the number of problems others have had.

I agree that it lives up to it's Multipurpose label and if my little complaints get resolved, it'll be almost perfect!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
I got a 2002 ML55

And I'm happy about it. Some little things here and there, but, it's a 3.5 year old car, bound to run into some little stuff. Battery died once, my fault, left car for about 3 weeks, unattended, sittin in the garage. And now the memory on the driver seat won't keep, some little rattles here and there.

But take it to the snow, and I leave all other trucks and SUV's behind...when my ML is running strong, other cars are slippin and slidin in the snow.

Besides that, ML has been great.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
I have had a few problems although I am a satisfied customer, I like the car, it is not bad at all.

It is great to drive and gets better as the weather and conditions get worse.

It is fun to mod, there is a whole mass of good information here and elsewhere.

It is both robust and safe.

If you analyse a lot of the discontent it is more a question of disatisfaction with the dealers than the car, some dealers are greedy and incompetent.

If you asked the question whether ML owners are disatisfied with the ML or disatisfied with the dealer and are satisfied with the ML - then you might get a different picture.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I am now on my 3rd ML, Had a 98 320, an 02 ML500 and now an 06ML500. Allhave been very good however the one with the most issues was the 02. My competent dealer corrected all with no inconvience to me. My 06 has been flawless. The fact that I have had 3 of them should speak for itself.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
I loved my 2000 ML.. Put 55k+ miles on it the only major problem I had was the power steering clamp blew before I could get the recall done. I drove the crap out of it and went off roading with it.. The only thing it did develop suspension creaking at about 45k miles, but that didnt bother me.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Love the truck, hate the cheap supplier parts.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Lamborghini Countach, BMW M3, ML 500 x2, S500 Lorinser
99 ML430... 85,000 Care Free Miles...

2005 ML500... Not as care free (brake squeel, peeling trim on windows, armrest warpage) but still very good mechanically.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM

2007 GL450, 2007 335i with a Cobb tune (435HP)
I've had my 2002 ML320 Sport since September. I've had to have a coil replaced and also the e-brake engaged sensor replaced ($5 part). I love my truck. Not a rattle, everything is tight and fits like you'd expect for an MB. It still looks and even smells new and has weathered the last 4 years of use like only a German car can, imo.

Now, when I first started doing my research before buying I did a lot of googling and net research. Read some good reviews and also read some really terrible ones. I was really wondering where the truth lay. I then asked my neighbour who had a 2000 ML how his had been. He drove his from 65,000 km to 185,000 km with no trouble at all and recommended it highly. Lastly, I asked the most respected MB repair shop on the West Coast of Canada--it's generally accepted that they're better than any of the dealerships in the area. About the 2002 ML's and onward, they said that they had lots of experience with them and that they thought they were a great vehicle and didn't see any proplems more than any other newer vehicle on average (and they only do MB and BMW, and other niche imports). I figured that was a good opinion to add weight too.

I've owned lots of VW's and Porches, and none of them were trouble free--with the exception of a 2002 fully loaded Jetta GLS that I had owned... and the funny thing is that model was supposed to be a problem car! Haha. Funny how it works. Sorry to those few that had nightmare experiences with their ML's... so far so good for me and this is my favourite vehicle I've ever owned to this point!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Satisfied ML owners please READ