M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Rallye Motors, Buyer beware.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550
Rallye Motors, Buyer beware.

Ok, here are all the details.

I purchased a used/CPO 2003 ML500, with 46,000 miles in September from Rallye Motors in Roslyn, NY. The CPO car comes with a year warranty and I added a second year. I am very happy with the price, and feel it was highly competitive.

My grievance has to do with the CPO certification (or rather the lack there of) done by a dealer. When I picked up the car, I was given this piece of paper with all these check marks indicated that all these items had been checked. These included that the oil had been changed, the car had been cleaned, brakes had been checked, pads replaced and the rear calipers were replaced (written on the bottom). I should also add that the car only came with one key. I was promised that I would receive the key in the next couple weeks, after the purchase.

Upon pick up, it was VERY clear the car was not cleaned. So much so, that one of the other salesman said he was embarrassed that the car was in such a state. The excuse from the salesman was that he wrote down the wrong pick up date. My salesman was not there on pickup.

Today, after putting about 8k miles on the car, I decide to get the oil changed. I take it to a local guy and watch the whole process. The oil comes out and I can instantly tell the oil in this car has probably not been changed in 15-20k miles. The oil is black like tar and the oil filter is fully clogged. The independent mechanic also concurs. I also ask him to check the pads on the brakes. The pads are gone, and I am surprised, as there was no wear indication on the dash. So, as of today, I have a ML500, I think has been serviced by Rallye for its CPO certification, and it’s now very clear never was. According to the service docs, the last service was at 40k miles....

Oh, I still never received my second key.

Now I understand that I could have been more proactive, in getting these things done, but it does not excuse Rallye for their actions. I should also note that I have called my salesman several times and he has never called me back. I even went to the dealer in person, looking for him. He was not there, and when I asked for his manager, the manager was not there as well. I left a message with both of them, and neither of them called me back. That was about three weeks ago.

So, there is my rant. The car has been a decent car and touch wood, I have not had any major problems with the car. As for Mercedes dealerships, well that is a different story.

Comments, criticisms and suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you want the salesman’s name, PM me through the forum.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
feel free to post the name of the salesman on the forum... also you may want to contact the mbusa complaint line, tell them the story... They will do what they can and you could even write a letter to the dealership itself Maybe the owner will see it, prolly not though
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
Similar situation only with Globe Motors in Fairfield NJ changed my oil pan gasket $700 Tech. said that oil and filter were changed also OK! So a couple of months later oil high light was comming on so I took it to have oil changed to be on the safe side, and low and behold! oil was as black and thick as tar filter was so black and clogged that it fell apart when removing. I flushed motor before adding new oil. I had additional work done on my ML that I probably did not need or was not done! What I found out is because I did not buy my vehicle from that particular dealership they treated me like a POS!
I switched dealers and now get decent service! The Dealer I purchaed ML from said my ML also was CPO and they did certification and I found out later that is was not! and all I had was a extended waranty that was not worth the paper is was printed on! I have also found out that I was not the only one taken for a ride! I and others now have a case with the Attorney General of NJ fraud protection department against the dealership!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
I dont know if I am the only one here with a good experiance, but the mercedes dealer of manhattan on 42nd and 11th treats me very well. My car gets done on the double, my service advisor goes out on a arm and a leg to get my car done within a few hours, always quality work, never any problems. I dont even make appointments a lot of the time, I get in whenever I call my advisor saying I have a problem with the car. I even get my labor cut down by a few %... Prolly just lucky.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:22 PM

Did you buy your ML from the Manhattan dealer you use for servicing?Typically most dealerships don't treat a non-customer the same as customer, which to some extent makes sense you spent your money at their dealership and you deserve a little better treatment plus it helps with future purchases, good service is key to keep customers coming back! I have had it both ways I bought my RX7 from one dealer and had it serviced at another, and was treated great. So it can go both ways.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:30 PM

G550
I will not let this rest. I am however going to change my own brakes and rotors this weekend. This as it has too be done, and at this point, I would like to know how to do it.

I will take it to the NY attorney general if need be.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by yetis
I will not let this rest. I am however going to change my own brakes and rotors this weekend. This as it has too be done, and at this point, I would like to know how to do it.

I will take it to the NY attorney general if need be.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
Wow I see what some of you people go through with your dealers but I must say I've rarely if ever had any problems with the dealer from whom I purchased both my Benz's, aka Ray Catena Mercedes-Benz located in Edison, NJ. The service at the dealership and service center is OUTSTANDING I must say. The service center has over 60 bays and provides internet connected flat panel computers, a pool table area, shoe shinning, a virtual golf room, free food and drinks, not to mention a loaner car as long as u call a week or so in advance and if thats not necessary theres an E-class limo that will pick you up and drop you off at home. I met the owner of the dealership a few years back (who was also on the cover of TIME magazine before if I remember correctly) he's a great person, even gave us free merchandise from the gift shop. Thats all I have to say, if you live in the tri-state are and are looking for a good Mercedes dealer, this is THE place to go.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by blazinginder
Wow I see what some of you people go through with your dealers but I must say I've rarely if ever had any problems with the dealer from whom I purchased both my Benz's, aka Ray Catena Mercedes-Benz located in Edison, NJ. The service at the dealership and service center is OUTSTANDING I must say. The service center has over 60 bays and provides internet connected flat panel computers, a pool table area, shoe shinning, a virtual golf room, free food and drinks, not to mention a loaner car as long as u call a week or so in advance and if thats not necessary theres an E-class limo that will pick you up and drop you off at home. I met the owner of the dealership a few years back (who was also on the cover of TIME magazine before if I remember correctly) he's a great person, even gave us free merchandise from the gift shop. Thats all I have to say, if you live in the tri-state are and are looking for a good Mercedes dealer, this is THE place to go.
Wow! that's a incredible service department, any idea how they treat non Ray Catena customers? Wish I lived closer!
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
mb of manhattan will treat everyone well because it is corperate owned!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hanniep
Wow! that's a incredible service department, any idea how they treat non Ray Catena customers? Wish I lived closer!
Even if you are not one of their customers you get the same service and treatment from their staff. I was just there couple weeks back and a woman with a black CLS55 with Florida plates pulled into the service center reporting of some problems(w/o an appointment) and they looked at the car, no questions asked, and had one of the reps show her to the waiting area where they showed her to food and drinks as if she was their own customer. Thats more than what I can say from Mercedes-Benz of Princeton, the service there is **** poor and on top of that they see you're from Catena and they refuse to do more than the minimum. Funny story when looking for the SL last year stopped in at princeton for a quote and just mentioned that Catena was the next stop, and the next thing we heard was the salesmen completely bashing them which is wrong but the fact that what they said was completely untrue made it even worse on their reputability. I would NEVER send someone to get a car from princeton. Ray Catena simply out does them in EVERY possible manner.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:15 AM

Which dealership you go now for services?
Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 11:00 PM

2001 ML320
Same treatment at Ray Catena

I purchased my car from a dealer in NY. However, I had all of my warranty servicing done by Ray Catena in Edison NJ. They were excellent, professional and helpful. They were even proactive on more than one occasion. With one exception all SA's knew their onions.
RAN
Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Once again, what can i say, RAY CATENA is THE best
Old 03-24-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 GLE450
I have bought 6 MB since 1998 at the Wilmington Mercedes Delaware dealership (actually taking delivery today on a 2006 ML350 which is why I checked out this forum). Great place but an hour from me. My local shop Cherry HIll Mercedes has serviced every car I've had and never ONCE did I ever detect any impartial treatment because of not buying there. I believe the dealership makes more on the service then the sale so I would think they'd accept the service work happily no matter where you buy.

My service rep is Jim Fidyk, the best in the business.

Brian Kushner
Old 03-24-2006, 03:07 PM

'03 E39 530I
No thanks..
Originally Posted by yetis
touch wood
Old 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM

09 ML320, 07 BMW 335i, 03 SL500
mercedes benz of morristown, NJ....best dealer around IMO. service dept is top notch.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fizzle
mercedes benz of morristown, NJ....best dealer around IMO. service dept is top notch.
What kind of service facilities do they have and what special services do they offer to their customers to better accommodate them
Old 03-25-2006, 08:02 AM

G550
Its funny this thread just poped up again. The same car that was "inspected", just had its rear suspension replaced and the front tie rod/control arm!

So far, this preowned "certified car" has needed

New brakes/rotors
new rear suspension
front tie rod/control arm

Thankfully, the suspension and tie/control parts were done under warranty and I changed the brakes.

Now my question for blazinginder is what is this "special services"? I clearly have been going to the wrong dealer!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Oh man, Rallye is crap. You'd think they might have some respect for people, because they're so big and have been around for so long (so there must be some reason). But no.

We had a hard shifting issue on the 300E, and after a week in the shop, all they said was, "Oh it feels nice now, as if it were a stick," with "positive shifting" . They couldn't fix any of our other minor issues either (radio reception, dashboard switch, etc.).

It used to be that unless you fit their profile (basically, well-dressed, carefree, rich-looking, older white male), they'd just ignore you in the showroom. I once literally spent 45 minutes walking around looking through the cars, and not one person came up. My dad went to get a salesperson to look at the new (at that time) E-Class, and they said no, we don't have any - just look through the car yourself.

Now they're bad (maybe worse) in the opposite direction. Went there to check out the W164 ML when it came out, and also their SLR -- big mistake. Got non-stop phone calls, 2 times a day, from all different salespeople, for the next 3 weeks, when I specifically told them not to call.

We have so many family friends who had MB's, with Rallye as the dealer, and nearly every single one has switched to Lexus or Acura -- they just couldn't stand it.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 PM

ML500, E500. ML320, CLK500 and SL500
I got my ML from MB of Fairfield, in Ct have had it three weeks has been in the shop for about three days the nav keeps going to a blank screen
Old 03-29-2006, 02:07 PM

ML500, E500. ML320, CLK500 and SL500
MB of Fairfield CT Just call they put a whole new nav in and the car is ready for pick up. Pretty good Deal.