M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help! 02 ML320 Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 02 ML320 Questions

Hello,
I am new to this post and need your expertise. I am a first time owner of an 02 ML320. I purchased my MB from a non MB dealer and feel they are not familar with these cars at all. I returned the car to the dealer because the car idles loudly, the rear wiper turns on when I am in reverse, and the brakes are low. Is this normal? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:00 PM

Q & R
Originally Posted by JenGeeML320
Hello,
I am new to this post and need your expertise. I am a first time owner of an 02 ML320. I purchased my MB from a non MB dealer and feel they are not familar with these cars at all. I returned the car to the dealer because the car idles loudly, the rear wiper turns on when I am in reverse, and the brakes are low. Is this normal? Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Glad to help, being the original owner of an 00.
But please elaborate:
idles loudly - is it a clackety sound you are concerned with? There are many ML320s with bad valve lifters. Mine clacks on occasion when starting up dry, low oil.
Rear wiper turn on in reverse - most likely the rear wiper is in the pulse position.
Brakes are low - the worst thing about the MLs are the brakes, they require a lot of travel and never feel "hard" - since day one. I believe this is prevalant in many MB models with the BAS.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Also to add to the wipers part. I don't know if the per-02's had it, but if the front wipers are on, the rear wipers will activate automatically if you put it in reverse. Neat little feature.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 GLK350 P1, Multi-media & AMG Pkg; 2010 E350 w/ prem 2; 2018 4Runner SR5 Prem. 4x4
Originally Posted by AsianML
Also to add to the wipers part. I don't know if the per-02's had it, but if the front wipers are on, the rear wipers will activate automatically if you put it in reverse. Neat little feature.
Yes...I confirm this is a neat feature for 02+ models.

Brakes are kinda soft....even after changing pads and sensors.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Thumbs up Help! 02 ML320

Thanx for the info.
I got the car back from the dealer. They say all sounds are normal, breaks are fine, and they also told me about the rear wiper front wiper connection. Then again they are car dealers. The motor is just a bit loud, I thought something was wrong with the car, a little knocking. I bought the car from a non MB dealer, but I drove to my nearby MB dealer, who confirmed what you guys mentioned. The car feels to good to be bad. Hehe. Hey would you experts happen to know of a reasonably priced good extended warranty. I think, I researched this car so much I am having paranoia/info overload. I truly appreciate this group's expertise. Thank GOD for these forums
Old 05-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Q & R
I would not go with anything other than a MB warranty or at least one from your dealer that you have read over carfeully and fully understand. When my warrany ran out, I think MB wanted over $2k to extend it for 3 years. I put on about 6 to 7K miles a year and found it not be worth it. You need to consider if it is worth the $$$ based on how long you will own it and how many miles you exepct to put on it. If you are unsure about the condition, have the truck checked out by the dealer thoroughly, most mechanics do this for a nominal fee. You can also ask MB service to pull the maintenance record on the VIN.