M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help on buying a used ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on buying a used ML320

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 1999 ML320

No leaks visible on the undercarrage of the car tranny, engine, all seemed dirty but no oil build up.

No funny noises when driving.

Need to check for noises during parking lot driving.

Brakes a little spongy?

Compression test
cyl Dry Wet
---- ---- ----
1 --178-- 206
2 --180-- 202
3 --185-- 204
4 --190-- 210
5 --192-- 207
6 --190-- 203

Do this numbers look good?

Thanks in advance

A

Last edited by AugustMB; 06-28-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Almost a Member!

From what iv been seeing around in these forums, I wouldn't take my chance unless you are totally sure its a good 99 ML. For about the same price you can get a reliable 02+ ML and don't have too many problems to worry about.

How much does it cost?

How much mileage?

* Check the car fax not that it will do much =\ *

I'd prefer an 02+ ML for a cheaper + safer decision, if you buy a 99 ML your going to spend the difference in repairs plus lots more + time repairing.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the reply...

It cost $9K.

1 owner.

95K miles.

With the exception of a couple of blemishes the exterior and interior are in very good condition. Not excellent but very good.
A

Last edited by AugustMB; 06-28-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Thats a pretty good price, if you like it alot and just need something to get from point A to B but with that luxury appearence I would maybe consider it.

But you can look at it this way, it maybe cheap for a reason.

Your Welcome, I hope my opinion helps you out in your decision.

These pro's on the MB site should help you out once they get on. They can explain to you what you are in for and what kind of problems you will run into and if its a good buy.

PS: Make sure you have extended warranty that covers a real good amount of mechanical problems, it always helps. I would never consider without warranty (My personal opinion, and most people would say).

Last edited by Benzlova; 06-28-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:40 PM

This ml will be driven to and from work by me for about a month. Once my mom sells her other two cars she'll take this one. She does basic driving around town with an occasional trip once or twice a year to San Diego or San Fransico.

Only two concerns with the car.

1. Tranny because of what I've read... anyway to tell if it's on its way out?

2. Some old oil on top of the valve cover not the plastic engine cover. It wasn't the sides but coming off the top close to where the spark plug hole is. I couldn't take the plastic engine cover off to see where it was coming from.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2004 E320
Originally Posted by AugustMB
This ml will be driven to and from work by me for about a month. Once my mom sells her other two cars she'll take this one. She does basic driving around town with an occasional trip once or twice a year to San Diego or San Fransico.

Only two concerns with the car.

1. Tranny because of what I've read... anyway to tell if it's on its way out?

2. Some old oil on top of the valve cover not the plastic engine cover. It wasn't the sides but coming off the top close to where the spark plug hole is. I couldn't take the plastic engine cover off to see where it was coming from.
Well, In my 2c - If you like it, 9K is rightly priced. I paid over to 12K for my 2000 ML320 with 113K miles. Depends on condition. Generally they are good cars. Also, you can buy one with 51K miles and tranny can go out. In my experience, whatever breaks is repairable at a reasonable cost. What you spend today to get a newer/lower mile car, you save for this one's repair. That way, if repairs don't happen, your money is saved. If your low miles newer vehicle breaks, you are toast.

I have seen mercedes from decades ago that never had tranny or engine issues. I have seen a 2006 S500 on the road with a broken tranny.

Point is, if you like it, buy it. Hopefully you will not regret it. Remember, you ARE buying a 9K car. That said, even a 9K Accord will have its issues at times. People preach lexus and Honda reliability, I had a 2000 model accord break tranny at 46K miles (fixed under goodwill by hond though).

Just make sure you and your mom likes the ride. I traded an E420 for the truck, and am still adjusting to the ride and the smaller engine.

On that note, GOOD LUCK. Hope you get it and it behaves
Old 06-29-2006, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
To be honest with you dont buy any ML unless its 2002+ yes that 99 seems nice a is a good price but it has to many miles on it and major stuff will start to go bad. The minor problem on an ML cost a ton of money just about any minor problem is going to run about $1,000 to fix. Your getting to the point of needing to replace suspension and various other drive train parts that are going to go down hill such as spark plugs if they have never been changed. All the fluid should be replaced in the car everything from coolant to transmission fluid. A lot of people end up buying older ML because of the low price and end up paying for that in the long run. Even if you can get a 2000 ML that would be a whole lot better than a 99 since numerous changes took place in 2000 and the most changes almost making the ML a different car happened in 2002. If your price range is under $10k you are better off buying a honda or a chevy since they are cheap to fix. Nothing is cheap on an ML to fix nothing. Having owned 2 MLs i can say they are the worst quality car mercedes has ever made and they didnt fix the quality problems until 2003-2005 even then the car still suffered from design defects.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Most of the basic maintence on the car would be done by me. Oil, coolant, plugs and would do this weekend. The tranny per recommendation from this board I would let MB do it.

The parts cost and as you said minor things is what concerns me. This vehicle will essentially be my mom's car. That being said she doesn't have the money to replace big ticket items such as trannies.

I'm starting to lean towards not buying it. Although, I have the cashiers check in pocket, the thought of major repairs or frequent minor ones causes me concern

Thanks

Victor
Old 06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by AugustMB
Thanks for the reply,

Most of the basic maintence on the car would be done by me. Oil, coolant, plugs and would do this weekend. The tranny per recommendation from this board I would let MB do it.

The parts cost and as you said minor things is what concerns me. This vehicle will essentially be my mom's car. That being said she doesn't have the money to replace big ticket items such as trannies.

I'm starting to lean towards not buying it. Although, I have the cashiers check in pocket, the thought of major repairs or frequent minor ones causes me concern

Thanks

Victor
When someone asks for car buying advice I treat them like my best friend and I ask my self would I let my friend buy that car? Would I recommend my car to a friend? And on the ML I can personally answer NO to both. If this would be your first mercedes you would think all mercedes are crap but again I would say the ML is one of the worst in build quality. Not to mention the ML was designed to be a luxury off road vehicle not a luxury on road SUV like the BMW/volvo ext. So the ML ride is harsh and handling isnt a great strength of the car. But just a rough estimate you will spend about $1,000 a year keeping the car running that doesnt include gas insurance or tires, that if the car has nothing major wrong with it.. All the small minor things start to add up such as new door pins to hold your door on 1 door just for the pins costs $16 x 4 doors thats $64 just for the door pins and the rear hatch has more than $30 worth of pins in it i forget. My guess this car you are looking at has the original fuel pump which is just a time bomb ready to break.. My 2000 ML it cost a tad over $700 for a new pump.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 AM

Well, I passed on the ML... I went to look at it again and took it for a more spirited test drive. Hard accelaration at a slight incline and smelt a bit of oil. I did it again to verify it was the ML and not some other car. Same thing... I looked under the hood and there was some fresh oil on the front most coil on the passenger side. Not alot but some. Next I did the basic parking lot turns and stops and heard a bit of whinning coming from the tranny. Those two things made me back off.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll see if I can find a good quality '02 for my Mom that won't break the bank.

Victor
Old 06-30-2006, 03:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
W163 W164 R230
AugustMB ,

Wise decision!. My impression is that MY2000 is the entry for a light wallet, and +MY02 is if you have the budget. Like already mentioned the 2 major changes happend in MY2000 and MY2002. Although the tranny has the same partno it also has internal design changes with time. That means a younger tranny will not be better because it has less miles on it, but also be less prone to failure as it has optimized design changes from previous failures incorporated. i.e a 722.663 transmission from a MY2004 is better than a 722.663 from a MY2000 due to internal changes...

You have enough support on this and other forums on the tranny issue (even a +02 model might have problems). Enough of us have done it (including myself). I did a DIY writeup, and we are using it (hopefully enhancing it with input from other replacements in the future).

I doesn't seem very hard to do yourself (as long as you have access to a car lift & support stand). The real trick is to either buy a cheap replacement or second hand transimssion (depending on your wallet) when it goes wrong. The main thing with the tranny is to frequently change the Fluid to prolong the life of it.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Remember the most expensive Mercedes is the one that cost the least to purchase!!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:41 PM

98 ML 320
Da*n, glad to know my 98 is a piece of crap, I bought it in 01 with 20K on it it now has 160K and I have had to replace the fuel pump..........took about 4 hours myself. spent $350 for pump, and the MAF took about 5 minutes and another $150,I have had to fix some of the other common problems but overall expense of it is not that bad....if you can work on it yourself. I did change plugs once and oil every 3K but I guess you don't have to do that stuff to a 02 or newer. I also know the ML is what it is, a truck, it is not as well built as our E was or any other car built in Germany, but its value has been good to me.

Last edited by old98; 07-02-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:28 AM

99 ML 320, 02 Honda Civic LX
Oil Change every 3k miles? Doesnt it go via FSS?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
No, the 98s didn't have FSS.

Originally Posted by coretexity
Oil Change every 3k miles? Doesnt it go via FSS?
FSS didn't come into play in the US until MY00, or maybe MY01- someone check that please.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Almost a Member!

98 ml 320, MGB GT V8 (FACTORY)RHD
My 1998 ML320 you or the dealer reset the service reminder, It starts at 15,000 kms and counts down to zero. To check the mileage to next service you press the instrument cluster post/ trip odo.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM

99 ML 320, 02 Honda Civic LX
99 has it..

I am pretty sure my 99 ML 320 has it. I've had 2 services so far (ever since I've had the truck) based on the reading in the odometer (the number next to the wrench).