M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Ipod Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W163 & 203
Ipod Installation

what s up guys....
Gotta questions here and hoping gettting some input from you guys...
I m very interesting to install ipod connector in my 2000 ML430...
currently ML430 come with navigation and cd changer...
can you help me to find out what do I need to get and where to get it...
and as far for the installation....can you advise....thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
There are a couple of options. Bestbuy sells a lot of the iPod to car, but I wouldn't trust them to install it. The local shop by me sells that, another piece from a different distributor, don't remember the name, or in my case a direct ipod cable from Alpine to my Alpine headunit.

Originally Posted by Pottie
what s up guys....
Gotta questions here and hoping gettting some input from you guys...
I m very interesting to install ipod connector in my 2000 ML430...
currently ML430 come with navigation and cd changer...
can you help me to find out what do I need to get and where to get it...
and as far for the installation....can you advise....thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Very easy install for the ML430 since MB did not use fiber optics until 02. If you dont mind giving up your CD changer for an Ipod I have a $12 part that will take you 1 min to instal that will let you use your ipod with the best possible sound quality..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i2u2dAS...0&I=023AUXIN2R

Buy the MCS keys at the dealer cost like $2 or you can make your own, you need this to take out the MCS to access behind it. You will see your CD cable where it plugs into the back of the MCS, just unplug that and plug in the adapter. The adapter will give your a R&L audio input so you will need a R&L to 1/8 audio cable you can find one at just about any store.. You basically plug that cable into the adapter and fish the end wire anywhere you want, on my 2000 ML I ran it into the ash tray right behind the shift gate and my ipod would fit into the ash tray and I could easily change songs, later I moved it to the glove box and bought an Ipod remote, but with 8 feet of cable you can put it anywhere.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=172348
thats what the audio cable looks like^^^^dont need to spend that much money I found that belkin cable on a website for half that price.

Basically the hard part is getting a good connection to the radio, I have presented you with the best sound quality way but you wont be able to use your CD player unless you like taking your MCS out and swapping the cables all the time... You can do a tape deck Ipod in by running the wire in the back of the MCS a search here will show you how to do it, or you can do a FM modulator but nothing sounds as good as a direction connection that I presented. And I have done about every Ipod input method you can do and finally found this little $12 adapter that was the best thing I have found.... Let me know if you have any questions.

I just wanted to add this will work for all ML's with MCS up until the 02 facelift. If I remember right some of the late build 01's have the newer fiber optic system and wont work either.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/radios.html

Woflgangs site has pictures and info to do the methods I described above.

Last edited by AndrewAZ; 09-21-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 AM

W163 & 203
Andrew
Thank you so much
I appreciated your time and advise and after I take a look the wolfgang site make me wonder that I do have navigation and will it work for DVD as well
Thank s mate I let u know once the project done
Old 09-22-2006, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Pottie
Andrew
Thank you so much
I appreciated your time and advise and after I take a look the wolfgang site make me wonder that I do have navigation and will it work for DVD as well
Thank s mate I let u know once the project done
The older MLs use the CD based Nav, you can upgrade to use the DVD nav but you need a DVD Nav reader and a few other parts and that will run you about $1 grand. Best bet if you want new Nav is to sell the MCS and go with an after market option from alpine or pioneer like others have done, they make nice color touch screen with NAV/MP3/IPOD/Sat Radio/DVD player for about $1k.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:33 AM

Q & R
Late to the Party

I just completed my stereo upgrade on my 2000 ML320. I am using the OEM MCS head unit with NAV, I added an ADS amp, changed out the door speakers, added tweeters, and a 10 inch sub with amp in back.

Now I am considering adding an iPod input.

This is helpful, I though the NAV was an Alpine unit because I am using an Alpine GPS antenna for it. So the rest also seems to be Alpine as well?

But - I want to keep the changer.

Anyone ever tried using the telephone input as an audio input?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by cyeung65
I just completed my stereo upgrade on my 2000 ML320. I am using the OEM MCS head unit with NAV, I added an ADS amp, changed out the door speakers, added tweeters, and a 10 inch sub with amp in back.

Now I am considering adding an iPod input.

This is helpful, I though the NAV was an Alpine unit because I am using an Alpine GPS antenna for it. So the rest also seems to be Alpine as well?

But - I want to keep the changer.

Anyone ever tried using the telephone input as an audio input?
If I recall right the telephone only works out of 1 speaker... Best bet is to use my AUX input that cost like $10 for 2000 year ML's.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM

iPod Adapter

I have a 2003 ML350 and I am looking at the same situation. After some research here is what I have found. Anybody out there have any experience with any of these that could give us some advice as to how easy one brand or another is to install or how well it works? Or do you know of any other options???

Thanks!

http://www.installer.com/item/displa....php?it=AUXMB1

http://www.eurocarphone.com/auxin.htm
Old 11-09-2011, 09:34 AM

ML320 1999
This is exactly what I'm looking for but the link to Crutchfield says the item is discontinued. It looks like in the picture it's only a couple of wires into the adapter. Can I use the existing adapter by attaching RCA plugs after removing the wires going to the CD player? What would be the pin outs for this?

Thanks!