M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML Battery Help Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Mercedes Benz SL500 & 2009 E350 4Matic Wagon
Question ML Battery Help Please!!!!

My wife has a 2001 ML320. A little over a year and a half ago we experienced several occasions where the car would not start because the battery was completly dead. Upon our third trip to the MB dealer he could still not find a problem with the battery or the charging system. At this point we told him to just replace the battery as it was over 3yrs old and probably should be replaced anyway. This fixed the problem until twice a week ago. Again we took the ML to the MB dealer and he found the battery low even after our trip of some 50 miles to his shop, but still OK. The charging system also checked out as OK. As he could not find a problem that day, they sent us home in a new R350 loaner and we have heard nothing in a weeks time (last Friday to this Friday) from the Service Writer. I have called the Service Manager twice and he has promised to have his Service Writer call with an explaination, but still no calls. Maybe they have decided to trade us even up for the R350 -- sadly, probably not!!!

Anyhow, has anyone out there experienced a simular problem with the ML batteries? My hope is that mybe someone can give me some advice to pass along to this bewildered MB dealership with regard to how to fix the problem. And, yes the Service Manager did say that it also failed to start for them on one occasion. Any and all positive suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML270
Originally Posted by 2mbusa
My wife has a 2001 ML320. A little over a year and a half ago we experienced several occasions where the car would not start because the battery was completly dead. Upon our third trip to the MB dealer he could still not find a problem with the battery or the charging system. At this point we told him to just replace the battery as it was over 3yrs old and probably should be replaced anyway. This fixed the problem until twice a week ago. Again we took the ML to the MB dealer and he found the battery low even after our trip of some 50 miles to his shop, but still OK. The charging system also checked out as OK. As he could not find a problem that day, they sent us home in a new R350 loaner and we have heard nothing in a weeks time (last Friday to this Friday) from the Service Writer. I have called the Service Manager twice and he has promised to have his Service Writer call with an explaination, but still no calls. Maybe they have decided to trade us even up for the R350 -- sadly, probably not!!!

Anyhow, has anyone out there experienced a simular problem with the ML batteries? My hope is that mybe someone can give me some advice to pass along to this bewildered MB dealership with regard to how to fix the problem. And, yes the Service Manager did say that it also failed to start for them on one occasion. Any and all positive suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Assuming nothing is draining the battery then it might be an alternator problem, check http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...17D/index.html

There is a list of TSB's at http://www.whnet.com/4x4/tsb.html
Old 10-14-2006, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
The battery and charging system are easy to check out with the proper equipment. The difficult part is if something is remaining on and draining the battery. Battery life averages about 4 years.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:46 AM

Exclamation No Resolution -- NEED HELP REAL SOON!!!

The MB dealer will have had the truck 2 weeks this Friday and still no resolution to the battery problem; and yes we still have the R350 as a loaner!

I am not sure what we do next -- can't trade it in in this condition, who would want it? From looking at the GL forum we are not sure it would make a good replacement -- kinda would be more of the same for more money!

Do any of you techies out there have something we could try. They took the battery out today an shock it and let it set outside the vehicle to see if it would discharge by itself -- no such luck!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:06 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 ML430
The MB dealer will have had the truck 2 weeks this Friday and still no resolution to the battery problem; and yes we still have the R350 as a loaner!

I am not sure what we do next -- can't trade it in in this condition, who would want it? From looking at the GL forum we are not sure it would make a good replacement -- kinda would be more of the same for more money!

Do any of you techies out there have something we could try. They took the battery out today an shock it and let it set outside the vehicle to see if it would discharge by itself -- no such luck!

I know it's hard for you right now but you should be a little patient. My ML has been in the dealership 4-5 times and just about a month before they figured out why my switch unit kept blowing out. (They had changed it 3 times!) Turned out to be the window motor...sometimes it takes a little time but know that your vehicle are in good hands. I had a loaner (brand new) so I was grateful for having a ride still...apparently some dealers don't even give you that.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 PM

ML

I frankly don't understand why you're worrying. You have a R to drive around and they have your ML. They'll eventually fix the problem, regardless of what we all suggest here. Let them do what they're trained to do. It's some kind of fault with the charging system and I doubt it's your battery. The only other thing would be the alternator or a bad belt. Let them take care of it, meanwhile, enjoy the R. Unless you really don't like the R. In that case, go back to them and ask for a different loaner. They'll give you whatever you want if it's available. This is really a very good situation!!!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 AM

09 ML320, 07 BMW 335i, 03 SL500
yea man think about it your wasting someone elses miles!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:17 AM

so a few thoughts.

go buy one of those digital volt meters that plugs into the cigarette lighter, and drive with it for a month or so.

key off, sitting in the driveway before you start it, it should be over 12.5 volts. car running, it shoudl move relatively quickly up to about 14.0 volts, which indicates it is charging.

one of three things is going on.
You are unlucky and have had 2 flakey batteries in a row. This is my bet.
Intermitent charging. This does happen.
A leak somewhere where something is running down when the car is off.

Or a combination of the above 3.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 AM

Unhappy Trying Battery Times

I know we are so lucky to have a loaner, and a new R Class at that. However, my wife won't drive the R Class loaner and she is not very confortalbe driving my SL to the supermarket -- she just wants her ML back because she feels confortable driving her car. We are now into our third week without the ML and I have to drive her everywhere -- I don't mind, but I hate that she is so frustrated!

It is so very sad these days watching the three pointed star, which was here-to-for known for its outstanding quality, going down for lack of the same!!!! I guess the only constant here is change; and not change for the good!

Thanks guys for your input, unfortionately none of it has worked, but it is apprreciated all the same!

Last edited by 2mbusa; 10-23-2006 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Correct spelling -- sorry!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:28 PM

ML
...However, my wife won't drive the R Class loaner ...
How can anyone blame her. That thing is hideous!!! You could go back to them and ask for a ML or C class loaner. They won't say no and I'm sure she'll like the C class. It's not a snow or 4WD thing with her, is it? If so, ask for a E formatic, if they have it.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 AM

05 ML350 SE
I don't think it's the battery.
The ML not starting issue can be caused by several things, including bad keys and fuel pump.
What are the symptoms when you turn the key?
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/88443-list-stuff-watch-out-163-a.html

Last edited by My Self; 10-26-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
I know we are so lucky to have a loaner, and a new R Class at that. However, my wife won't drive the R Class loaner and she is not very confortalbe driving my SL to the supermarket -- she just wants her ML back because she feels confortable driving her car. We are now into our third week without the ML and I have to drive her everywhere -- I don't mind, but I hate that she is so frustrated!

It is so very sad these days watching the three pointed star, which was here-to-for known for its outstanding quality, going down for lack of the same!!!! I guess the only constant here is change; and not change for the good!

Thanks guys for your input, unfortionately none of it has worked, but it is apprreciated all the same!
dude the ml is made in alabama with mostly mexican parts....what do you want
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 PM

'06 CLS55 P030
sorry...i didnt mean that