M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

99 ML430 window wont roll up HELP

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-23-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 430
99 ML430 window wont roll up HELP

hi, i have a 99 ML430 and the window wont roll up, every window rolls up but the driver side, coudl it be the switch on the arm console, or the window motor, andif it the switch how do i get to there, i can't seem to find the screws, or i've never taken it apart, or if it the window motor,how do i take the door panel of please help me, thanks
Old 09-23-2002, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
99 ML 430
Dude, it's your switch

Bring it in to be replaced.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:22 PM

1993 MERCEDES BENZ 300TE
NEEDS A NEW SWITCH ASSY,,,TAKE IT TO THE DEALER,,,,OUT OF WARRENTY??
ASK FOR GOODWILL ASSISTANCE,,,,IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM
Old 03-20-2003, 11:01 AM

it is a known problem here in UK too! i called mb rescue service. the lady said this common and gave me tips on how to bring the wondow back up by using quick pulls on the switch. no luck though.
called UK benz dealers and they will not honor this as my car in USA! i really am against buying another benz.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:07 AM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Another fine example of MB standing by its product (not)

Yep,
I've had the switch problem also - luckily my ML was under warranty at the time.
Makes me wonder what happens next time it fails and it's out of warranty ?
Probably fix it myself, the part is fairly cheap and I read it's only a 10 minute job. No point paying MB labor prices and minimum charges etc.

Like many others, this is my first & last ML - just going to run it into the ground as it's hardly worth anything as a trade in .....
Old 03-20-2003, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
If you ever get stuck with an ML window that won't come back up, here's what you do. First, and this may hurt you to do it, you have to break off the driver's window switch. Trust me, it's already broken, no more harm will be done than is done already. Just pull back hard and the switch will pop off. Under that, there's a white piece held in by a tab on either side. Spread the tabs slightly apart, and the white piece comes out as well. Once you have both of those off, you're going to see three electrical tabs in the recess where the switch used to be. Take a non-metallic item such as a toothpick, reach in and push down on the right (or left, I can't remember off-hand) tab, the window will come back up. Make sure you use a non-metallic item, or you will short out the switch and blow the power window fuse.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:15 AM

how do i know if the switch is broken or the motor is broken?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Originally posted by UK320
how do i know if the switch is broken or the motor is broken?
Almost 100% of the time, it's the switch.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:58 AM

thanks! do u think i could order the part from MB dealer here (UK) and put into my USA ML myself? i know how to remove the box where the arm rest is. i.e. i can access the part behind the switch. just not sure if i need more tools than a philips screwdriver.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
GL63 AMG
mbtech208 rules!!

Northern Wisconsin. 30 degrees on April 16 and we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight. Dealer is 115 miles away and the drivers window is stuck completely down on my wife's 00 ml430. Vehicle is 875 miles out of warranty. I consulted the board, found this thread, broke the top off the switch, removed the white plastic cap, and used the top off a plastic pen (nonmetalic) to raise the window!!! For future reference the tab on the right (facing forward) raises the window and the one on the left lowers it.
My MB is with out a doubt the biggest automotive dissapointment I have ever had. At 49,000 the vehicle went in for it's last service and was gone through from top to bottom. The list of problems fixed is endless. We have been debating on trading for an X5 and now the debate is over. Cost difference by the time you add the neccessary options is only $4000 and while it isn't in the budget I was reminded today of what a piece of junk this MB really is.
mbtech208, THANK YOU. You saved me driving to the dealership tomorrow with a vehicle wrapped in duct tape and plastic.
j2nh
00 ml430 MY FIRST AND LAST MB
01 996
ps
Wife now thinks I am an automotive genius.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: mbtech208 rules!!

Originally posted by j2nh
Northern Wisconsin. 30 degrees on April 16 and we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight. Dealer is 115 miles away and the drivers window is stuck completely down on my wife's 00 ml430. Vehicle is 875 miles out of warranty. I consulted the board, found this thread, broke the top off the switch, removed the white plastic cap, and used the top off a plastic pen (nonmetalic) to raise the window!!! For future reference the tab on the right (facing forward) raises the window and the one on the left lowers it.
My MB is with out a doubt the biggest automotive dissapointment I have ever had. At 49,000 the vehicle went in for it's last service and was gone through from top to bottom. The list of problems fixed is endless. We have been debating on trading for an X5 and now the debate is over. Cost difference by the time you add the neccessary options is only $4000 and while it isn't in the budget I was reminded today of what a piece of junk this MB really is.
mbtech208, THANK YOU. You saved me driving to the dealership tomorrow with a vehicle wrapped in duct tape and plastic.
j2nh
00 ml430 MY FIRST AND LAST MB
01 996
ps
Wife now thinks I am an automotive genius.
Glad I could help you out! Now I feel like all my time spent here isn't for nothing
Old 04-25-2003, 09:41 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 ML430
Have the same window problem.At first I noticed the smears on the glass,thought it would eventually get better. Now the window has stuck or the switch has broken.

I can feel the clicking(barely) when I pull on the window switch.Is it the switch,or is it stuck from the insulation melting away?
I hate to rip the switch apart if that's not the problem.Need help....it's starting to rain .

Thanks
David
Old 01-18-2015, 08:03 AM

ML430
Almost lost my mind

Originally Posted by mbtech208
If you ever get stuck with an ML window that won't come back up, here's what you do. First, and this may hurt you to do it, you have to break off the driver's window switch. Trust me, it's already broken, no more harm will be done than is done already. Just pull back hard and the switch will pop off. Under that, there's a white piece held in by a tab on either side. Spread the tabs slightly apart, and the white piece comes out as well. Once you have both of those off, you're going to see three electrical tabs in the recess where the switch used to be. Take a non-metallic item such as a toothpick, reach in and push down on the right (or left, I can't remember off-hand) tab, the window will come back up. Make sure you use a non-metallic item, or you will short out the switch and blow the power window fuse.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 PM

ML 430
Was going crazy!!!

Originally Posted by mbtech208
OMG thanks for this post. This my third time having to replace the switch panel. Went out completely today and could not get window back up! Found this and followed the directions exactly except I used a toothpick. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!#