M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Power steering woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 ML500, '07 E350 Sport (wife's)
Angry Power steering woes

Had the truck for just about 3 months now and I love it but I'm concerned about my current situation. Long story short. On drive home after purchase noticed resonating sound going up hills sounded like a pinto possibly exhaust or drivetrain. Dealer couldn't duplicate so took tech on drive and he heard. Traced to power steering pump and replaced. Sounded good for about a week or two. All of a sudden, noisy on cold starts and began to last longer. Dealer picked up ML from my office on Wed. Determined again problem w/ pwr steering and left overnight to test when cold. They called today to tell me it wasn't leaking from pump but the reservoir and that wasn't covered under CPO warranty. (Clearly need to learn what's not covered). Original warranty expired one week ago. After stating this should be covered as part of the original repair which was done under original warranty I got a call a few hours later saying all taken care of. They delivered my car to the house tonight and the driver asked me what it was in for, as he didn't have paperwork (strange, and I don't really know what they did). I told him and he explained that the power steering seemed to work fine, but was quite noisy and didn't seem normal. Left a message for my SA and she will have to have the car picked up tomorrow from my office again. Welcome to the club, huh?
Old 03-23-2007, 08:38 AM

98ML320
It sounds more like a dealer problem than a car problem.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I agree...

if I were you check to see there is power steering fluid in the car and that it hasnt leaked out... its in the engine bay on the front of the engine, on the right...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 PM

ml320 & c240
I would have another dealer look at it. I agree with bigcat it's like having a second openion.Good luck.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:06 PM

The saga continues. In shop Wed thru Friday. No more pwr steering noises, but they replaced a fan or something near fuse box that was making noise. Also did belts @ my cost, as they said they were frayed. Curious they didn't find this the week before. Set lights to Cananda mode for daytime running lights at my request no charge. Previously they said there was no way to do it. Lubed gas pedal but still seems as sticky. Picked up the car Friday night and left it in the driveway. Saturday morning walked out to go to work and noticed driver's rear window cracked open. Started it up and hit the switch. Nothing. Hit down and it started to go down and then bang, smash,... Regulator snapped, I'm guessing. It's stuck with the window half down parked in the garage till Monday morning. The new E is now in the driveway, which sucks. Probably unrelated and I'm trying to just think I'm working all the kinks out. Still love the car, but...
Old 04-02-2007, 02:17 AM

2003 ML500,06 C230 Sport
I have a couple issues with my p/s as well will probably be sending mine again as well there are service bulletins related to noise issues saying to put some slippery snot into the fluid this works ok when hot but if its cold the noise is there for the first 5min or so I want a rack & pinion unit for mine the pump is fine its the steering unit itself where the problem is.

Good Luck Geoff/Fastfish
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM

03 ML500
My 03 just starting to experience the same issue last month. I hope is just as sample as topping off power steering fluid since there isn't any leak at all. The noise is there only when the car is exposure to the temperature outside but its gone after its warm up. No issue when I park it inside the garage.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 AM

All issues seem to be resolved. Dropped off early this morning with no appt. Service manager took me right in, wrote it up and gave me a voucher for a loaner after asking if I had a ride. Drove out in an 06 or 07 ML350. Nice. About 11 he called and said it was all done. Regulator replaced under CPO warranty. Picked it up tonight after work and all seems good. So far no power steering noise and window works. Nice to have it back.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 PM

Need a little help. I've got power steering noises that seem a little irregular to me. I only hear the power steering whine when the truck is parked. It does not make any more noise when the wheel is turned. Normally these things get much louder when the wheel is turned. When you are driving you really can't hear it although you can hear it faintly when you slow to a stop. I flushed out the reserviour tonight and it did not seem to help. Is the pump going? Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 PM

ML500
You guys know there is a recall on the power steering fluid reservoir?
http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...enz/index.html
Old 12-18-2007, 12:17 PM

my97 porsche 993 | my05 porsche cayenne s | sis's: my02 merc ml500
Originally Posted by BETO
You guys know there is a recall on the power steering fluid reservoir?
http://www.internetautoguide.com/aut...enz/index.html
thanks! beto.
my sisters ml 500 just started having these issues; does look to be the clamp issue but maybe box as well (engine tray seems to catch fluids from showing signs of leaks for a while: not good). she has 80k pretty much trouble free miles on this car. other than a few service screw-ups... go figure.

she is the original owner & has the extended warranty on it. think this should cover her repairs... got a free battery & water pump last big repair in. i believe we must have gotten one of the better built ml's. we plan on keepin' it like our previous mercs... 100k plus. note: we change the oil every 5000k, etc...

Last edited by 24fps; 12-18-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:01 PM

03 ML350
Thanks for the post Beto ... i just lost power steering in my '03 ML350 and it's parked outside uphill. Bought it CPO about 3 months ago and I've barely driven it 3000 miles (it's currently got close to 38k miles on it). Waiting for my SA to call me tomorrow so we can figure out how to get it to the dealership. We'll see if they did the recall work ... this was previously a leased vehicle.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 AM

Had the Same Problem and Towed it to the Steeler.
They said the recall has already been performed ., I said doesnt matter .. had to fix it for free because it is a recall .. they agreed and I left the dealership with the pwr steering fixed for free and got the check from the steelership in mail for the towing charges I paid earlier.