M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Guys, need help with shocks, springs, swaybars - pls do not ignore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
CLK56TT (WIP), S65, RR 5.0 S/C
Arrow Guys, need help with shocks, springs, swaybars - pls do not ignore

hi guys,

tackling the suspension and need some help.

in brief, i am going with H&R (-40mm) + 4x Bilsteins + H&R Sway Bars.

what worries me is when i install shorter springs, will i need to get shorter sway bar end links or using stock is just fine? did you change them when you lowered your ML? does lowering affect the geometry of sway bar and control arm in any way?

another thing. i was trying to find out what spring end i have on my ML320 MY1999 (flat or round), but couldn't neither see nor touch the top of the shock without probably taking off the wheel which was not the case today. on the bottom it is flat. can it change towards the top of the shock?

thanks a lot.

alex
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 AM

i looked through the few threads in the forum and i am not so sure i have the flat end springs. how can i know for sure without taking the strut off or how do i know which one is which? do they mean by flat end the way the spring is cut or the way it coils on top/bottom? confused.................

also is H&R better choice over the Eibach?
Old 10-07-2007, 04:10 AM

bump
Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CAHEK
hi guys,

tackling the suspension and need some help.

in brief, i am going with H&R (-40mm) + 4x Bilsteins + H&R Sway Bars.

what worries me is when i install shorter springs, will i need to get shorter sway bar end links or using stock is just fine? did you change them when you lowered your ML? does lowering affect the geometry of sway bar and control arm in any way?

another thing. i was trying to find out what spring end i have on my ML320 MY1999 (flat or round), but couldn't neither see nor touch the top of the shock without probably taking off the wheel which was not the case today. on the bottom it is flat. can it change towards the top of the shock?

thanks a lot.

alex
You should be fine with your stock swaybar and control arms. Its your camber you should be worrying with lower shock/struts you'll be getting the inside of your tires. Why would you want to lower your ML. IMO, you should keep it stock and save the lowering to non-suv (truck) if possible.

its probably going to be notch because the springs sits on the rubber hat..
Old 11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML55 AMG Black on Black
I can't comment on the sway bars, although I've installed them on 2 front wheel drive volkswagens and they were a direct replacement for my OE sways.

As for the spring ends, I took note that the round vs. flat pertains to the bottom coil of the spring. Therefore, the only part that needs to be viewed is visible if you crouch down and look from behind and under the rear bumper. I've never seen the flat spring configuration, but I noticed that my spring perch was shaped to accept a round end spring (the end coil isn't flattened out, it's simply cut off vertically) and assumed that I was running round springs. I bought the Eibachs to get a little more drop than the H&Rs and they only come in the round end. As such, my shop installed them without any problems.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

ml 430 (EMPIRE AUTO MOBB)
help did you ever get the h&r springs and wHich ones did you end up using flat end or round end please let me know ,I HAVE A ML430 1999 WHICH I WANT TO USE BILSTEINS AND H&R SPRINGS.THANK YOU ALEX
Old 02-21-2008, 03:59 PM

ML55, 993, C230, Honda Insight, HD FXDL
The flat ends are rare and normally found in the earliest of ML's. Nost likely you have round but there's that slim chance! I used H & R springs on my '01ML55 to get a little more drop as the 55 already is lower. I now have an '02 and purchased another set but haven't installed and in the process of selling my '02. May have the H & R's available if your interested. You can have for $120 + frieght which will save you quite a bit. PM if interested.

Trending Topics

Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

ML 500 gone, ML 320 gone, C230 kompressor, & Hummer H2
Originally Posted by moeck964
The flat ends are rare and normally found in the earliest of ML's. Nost likely you have round but there's that slim chance! I used H & R springs on my '01ML55 to get a little more drop as the 55 already is lower. I now have an '02 and purchased another set but haven't installed and in the process of selling my '02. May have the H & R's available if your interested. You can have for $120 + frieght which will save you quite a bit. PM if interested.
check your pm
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM

2002 CLK 430
First the flat / round is at the top. Second is no difference between years just lift your truck and take a rear wheel off and look before you order. Call Bilstein and have them confirm what i will tell you now: all shocks for the MLs in USA are for oem replacement not for lowering so you will end up with a drop much greater than 40 mm. As for control arms and bar links no they are fine and in top of all that they are no other available. You will need a aliagment for sure and you most likely hate the ride. I just did my 55 and it went so low i had to lower the front to the point where was no rebound. As for the lowering other than looks you will get a very bumpy rear and a non responsive front wich will bottom out every speed bump. If you need any other info let me know.Good luck
If i will be you guys i will keep my oem springs with the Bilstein and be happy, i had to change them since both were broken and the $455 a piece is not an option for me. One more think measure fronts and backs before and the load of the torsion bars (use a gauge in the little hole by the 18mm bolt you will have to play with the torsion bars)
Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 AM

2002 CLK 430
Alex i just read you are in UK ? Than don't get H&R and get you B6 Bilsteins. I will use Spax if i will be you or Cobra out of Holland.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by toclk43
First the flat / round is at the top. Second is no difference between years just lift your truck and take a rear wheel off and look before you order. Call Bilstein and have them confirm what i will tell you now: all shocks for the MLs in USA are for oem replacement not for lowering so you will end up with a drop much greater than 40 mm. As for control arms and bar links no they are fine and in top of all that they are no other available. You will need a aliagment for sure and you most likely hate the ride. I just did my 55 and it went so low i had to lower the front to the point where was no rebound. As for the lowering other than looks you will get a very bumpy rear and a non responsive front wich will bottom out every speed bump. If you need any other info let me know.Good luck
If i will be you guys i will keep my oem springs with the Bilstein and be happy, i had to change them since both were broken and the $455 a piece is not an option for me. One more think measure fronts and backs before and the load of the torsion bars (use a gauge in the little hole by the 18mm bolt you will have to play with the torsion bars)
the flat end springs are shaved flat on both ends... not just the top, I have them in my 2000 ML55... Ill take pictures of my springs, I have yet to install them
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM

2002 CLK 430
Then why all the shocks they come with full coil bottom plate? And then why you got the wrong springs? Just kidding. No the flat round is only for the top as the bottom for all of them sits into a full round or coil support. Think about this if tops are different you have to get a different spring (which is the case for the ML) while if bottoms are different you have to get a different shock or at list a different lower spring support. All this to be nice cause I’ve been working on my 55 for the last 3 days (nice vacation i have) to get the right level using h&r's and Bilsteins since with the normal installation the rear went too low. I have a clear 3" drop and to do the front i will have to lower so much that will bottom up every bump.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
didnt you use the spring perch from the factory shocks? you shouldnt have a problem... 3" drop is pretty severe
Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

2002 CLK 430
i asked you before to measure you ground to under fender rigth ?
mine was 29". Considering a 33 to 32.25" with used shocks .......
i will make it work with what i have for now and in the summer when will go to Germany i will get myself a real set up, but for now i can not have the tire flash with the fender. Plus talking to Bilstein these shocks are not for lowering also so i want to get some use out of them not just blow them for nothing. But look at your springs and you will see.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Almost a Member!

i asked you before to measure you ground to under fender rigth ?
mine was 29". Considering a 33 to 32.25" with used shocks .......
i will make it work with what i have for now and in the summer when will go to Germany i will get myself a real set up, but for now i can not have the tire flash with the fender. Plus talking to Bilstein these shocks are not for lowering also so i want to get some use out of them not just blow them for nothing. But look at your springs and you will see.
There's no way that you should have a 3" drop. There's something wrong with your set-up. I'm running the Eibach/Bilstein combination and I still have a large gap between my tires and the fender (see pic). Not only that, but while my front suspension is softer than the rear, it doesn't bottom out like your front suspension. It's not like I'm careful with my truck either, I drive it as if the suspension was still stock height and the Bilsteins can handle anything that I throw at them.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM

2002 CLK 430
No, I did not use any parts from the old setup except the top parts. I have to find my pictures and post them, i took them for the H&R tech support, but based on your picture i have to say your truck is more than 2" lower and mine was a bit more. I bet you any money you never took any before and after measurements. Look around or measure your other ML and see for your self.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Almost a Member!

No, I did not use any parts from the old setup except the top parts. I have to find my pictures and post them, i took them for the H&R tech support, but based on your picture i have to say your truck is more than 2" lower and mine was a bit more. I bet you any money you never took any before and after measurements. Look around or measure your other ML and see for your self.
I'll try to remember to measure both trucks and post the #s. As for ride height, this whole issue is clouded in a bit of mystery. After lowering my truck, my initial impression was that it was much lower than Eibach claimed. In fact, my eyeball estimate was the same as yours, around 2".