M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

OHH-K, I am beginning to wonder if the ML500 is a good buy or a really bad investment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ML500 inspiration
OHH-K, I am beginning to wonder if the ML500 is a good buy or a really bad investment

I've only frequent this site for about 1 1/2 weeks and so far, I have heard nothing but WHINNING, AND CURSING THEIR ML.
Does ML really stand for My Lemon. Should I just buy an MDX just like what the other post said?? Or is it only the Pre-2001's MLs that have problems.

I don't know, I really like the Benz name. I never owned a benz and I though that the ML would be the first. I have owned mainly BMW's, AUDI's and Porsche, mainly German Cars. I am getting all too concern because yesterday I changed the oil on my 2001 BMW and found a GM transmission with a Mopar driveshaft. WTF?!? So, I dont know any more....

Any inputs???
Old 11-07-2002, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Don't worry - this is one of those times when these complaints surge out. It happens once in a while, and there is usually one or two members with an early-model year ML that had problems and as retribution, starts posting negative comments about everything involving the ML.

Personally I and probably the rest of the board appreciate some comments about what is happening, but excessive flaming such as what is happening right now is not right. One posts once or twice about something, not ten thousand times in any ML post - saying that it is a bad car, etc.

That way they scare away potential ML buyers and current owners, and the truth is that these people represent a small amount of the ML owners. Take these couple of posters out of the hundreds of thousands of ML owners, and you see that they represent only a small percentage of the owners, but by posting tons of posts, they get their point across - that they hate MB design, etc. and that's good for them. If the idea is to help, then they should help, but instead of that, they go on a crusade to dissuade all ML owners / potential owners to keep/buy an ML.

I can guarantee that if anyone did that in a BMW forum, there would be instantaneous uproar, with hundreds of flame posts. MB forums are generally more open, with less brand-crazy people, so there aren't any uproars like that, but that doesn't mean that BMW's are necessarily good and MB's are necessarily bad - just a difference in the type of person posting on the forums.

Getting back on topic, most of the problems in the ML were in the '98 and '99, as well as some in the '00 model years. Those types of problems in '01's, '02's and '03s are much much rarer, with only a few occurrences.

So if you are happy with your ML, be happy and keep it. Don't let these storms of messages affect that.

Regarding the use of other companies' parts, BMW does use GM transmissions. MB, OTOH, uses their own components and in fact sells transmissions, etc. to other companies. For example, the Jaguar mid-size sedan high performance version (forgot the name) uses an MB transmission. Also the Porsche 911 (996) uses MB transmissions.

Hope it helps.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
The problem isn't so much with MB

as with the large amount of domestic content in the ML, making it a pseudo MB.
Certainly the basic engine / tranny is reasonably sound (I say this despite having my MB made tranny changed in my Porsche 996 at 4,000 miles).
But what is unacceptable are the miriad of minor problems - the newer year models are better (01, 02's) - but even they have their bugs and as they age doubtless more will become apparent.
Also practically every ML owner I've spoken to at work has had at least one warranty claim for one or more of the many well known bugs.
The ones who've had no problems say something like 'my ML has been perfect - apart from xyz !!
I'm sorry but the ML has damaged the MB brand generally and turned alot of purchasers off.
Like the original poster, I've always bought 'premium' german cars and this was my first MB - needless to say it's my last :-(
Old 11-07-2002, 08:48 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
Thanks for the input, One thing for sure, the people in MB forums

are generally a lot more respectable than other Forums (i.e. BMW, AUDI ....) I really appreciate the input. I consult with this board to make sure that my next SUV purchase will last me a while. My current dilemma is that I am ready to purchase this truck at anytime, but I keep trying to wash out of my mind all the negatives about this truck.

True, it may have been fixed for the 03's but like the above post said, it won't be apparent as because they are still new.

I know there is no such thing as a perfect truck or car. I thought when I bought my $40K BMW that it would be very nice. Apparently not. E46 BMW's are one of the worst purchases that I have ever made. Too many problems, BMW dealers with bad attitudes, Too many GM,MOPAR and I would not be surprised if I see a DAEWOO stamp on one of the control arms. Not to mention that range of people who own these cars are Shallow, "Wanna-be" ghetto superstars with money (Mostly kids by the way). .... any how I can go on and on about how bad this car is but I am just trying to make sure that I dont start all over again but this time I am sinking $50K on a ML500.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:56 PM

Sorry if I've worried you, but if you've got your heart & mind set on an ML500

which by all accounts is a very nice SUV / truck then go ahead. I was in a similar position when I bought another brand a little while back - but it didn't stop me :-)
You might like to check out the dealer to make sure they're competent at maintaining it - some of my problems were undoubtedly compounded by their poor workmanship.
With any luck you'll get a good one and have a good dealer - I suspect the odds are in your favor.

But remember spending 50k is no guarantee of a perfect truck (is there such a beast as a perfect truck of any brand ?) - Also, as I've found out and the depreciation is a little steeper than might be expected for an MB.

Tim
Old 11-08-2002, 07:44 AM

2002 ML500, 2000 CLK320
Smile I love my ML

My 2002 ML500 is a year old now. I drove it across Canada this summer, and it is going into it's second winter. I absolutely love it! I have had no mechanical problems at all, and none of the standard extras have failed in any way. I have had two rattles when it gets really cold (they come and go), and my dealer is committed to fixing them this winter. In short, the experience with the car and dealer have been wonderful.

I also have a 2000 CLK320. Exactly the same story, except I bought it from another dealer. That dealer was...terrible. In fact, it generated a six page letter to the Pres. of MB Canada. The car, however, is great. Again - no failures, just two rattles that my new dealer fixed happily.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2000 ML 430
Considering the depriciation and all the quality issues.. I am not really sure it's a good investment. Now, in general, I would never call car purchase an investment.

Anyways.. buying new? Not sure.. take another look at "almost new" (but make sure you get low milage.. you'll need it to be in warranty period)

I like mine.. though it has suffered the standard problems common to every ML. While I do enjoy driving it, this is my first and last *ML* I owned (I do not want to exclude the whole MB line quite yet) But don't let this discourage you.. the research you're doing right now is very commendable.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:03 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
Re: I love my ML

Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with your 2002. I could only hope that my 03 that I'm buying will be as swell.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:12 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
Thanks Randomir

Originally posted by Radomir
this is my first and last *ML*
I appreciate your input, YOU are absolutely right, buying a car is the worst investment next to having Children . Just as I have my first born, I said exactly what everyone says about their ML, "this is my first and last *ML*"
Old 11-08-2002, 01:36 PM

ML
Re: Thanks Randomir

Originally posted by ml500bangbus
I appreciate your input, YOU are absolutely right, buying a car is the worst investment next to having Children . Just as I have my first born, I said exactly what everyone says about their ML, "this is my first and last *ML*"
Listen, the problems with the Ml are not virtual. These trucks are not built as tough as Mb would like them to be. However, if you buy, get the latest possible year. Get a new 2002 or 2003 and the said problems become almost inexistent. The you get 4yrs/50K FREE service (in US), lifetime roadside assistance, tons of hidden safety engineering, full time 4wd with lots of electronic trickery (MDX is not full time, I understand), timing chain instead of belt whic requires expensice replacement every 60-100K, etc, etc, etc. When people complain about the ML, they don't care to talk about the tons of safety and thoughtfull (and sometimes not so thoughtful) engineering that went into the ML. It is, BTW, the oldest of the midsize lux. SUV's, so it's sorely due for a makeover. But it is still the best value in the market. Get a MY02 or 03. If buying used, get MB Starmaekrd low mileage vehicle and don't go lower than MY00.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 ML500 SE, 2005 X5
ML Problems

Most ML's have minor problems, some have major flaws. Here are some good sites that list the latter:

http://www.mercedes-lemon.com
http://www.troublebenz.com

Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:59 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
Re: Re: Thanks Randomir

Originally posted by Darkmann
Listen, the problems with the Ml are not virtual. These trucks are not built as tough as Mb would like them to be. However, if you buy, get the latest possible year. Get a new 2002 or 2003 and the said problems become almost inexistent. The you get 4yrs/50K FREE service (in US), lifetime roadside assistance, tons of hidden safety engineering, full time 4wd with lots of electronic trickery (MDX is not full time, I understand), timing chain instead of belt whic requires expensice replacement every 60-100K, etc, etc, etc. When people complain about the ML, they don't care to talk about the tons of safety and thoughtfull (and sometimes not so thoughtful) engineering that went into the ML. It is, BTW, the oldest of the midsize lux. SUV's, so it's sorely due for a makeover. But it is still the best value in the market. Get a MY02 or 03. If buying used, get MB Starmaekrd low mileage vehicle and don't go lower than MY00.
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT! I am only BUying a new one.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM

Sorry to hear about your E46 3-series. Was it a 99 or 00 car ? My ML500 is about seven months young and I have two things fixed/replaced under warranty:
1. PSE module replaced to correct an audio lock-out problem. The module is part of the phone kit. i.e. No phone kit, no problem.
2. Replaced a leaky windshield washing fluid reservoir.
No major drivetrain/engine problem. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:06 PM

03 ML500 inspiration
thanks for your input

yeah, my E46 was quite a lemon.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
2 ML's and no problems

hi everyone,

just to add my 2 cents to the conversation....i've had an 00 ML430 and now own a 02 ML500 and i haven't had any problems.....ZERO!!! mercedes has these vehicles nailed down pretty well now. drive an ML 500 and you will probably be all smiles. tons of power along with a comfortable ride can't be beat.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:26 PM

CLK 320
My ML

I have a 1998 ML 320 with colored bumpers and 430 wheels. I purchased this truck used a year ago for my girlfriend. So far the experience of driving and owning this truck has been nothing less than awsome! The full time four wheel drive is increadible in the rain, mud, and especially the snow.

We have a 22' Searay and it's like night and day in comparison to our 98' Pathfinder we used to have. Not only does it get the job done as a truck, but it looks damn good doing it. I have nothing but high regards for the design and capabilities of this vehicle.

The vehicle has about 54k miles and I plan on seeing well over 100k before I think twice about parting with it.

(side note) My father had a 1982 300CD Turbo that I inherited when I went off to college. It turned 200k when I was driving it. Even though at the time it was over 15 years old and a diesel, all of my friends were envious of her classis beauty and sweet lines.

Although they certainly don't build them like they used to, I love Mercedes!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:14 PM

ML 320 and C 320
I would buy an ML 500

I have a 98 ML 320 and 01 C320 and true, the ML does have its quirks, but there are several people that I know of who love their MLs. I am currently trying to convince my parents to purchase an ML 500 for themselves. And about the C320, you should replace your 3 with the C, I love it!!!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking OHH-K, I am beginning to wonder if the ML500 is a good buy or a really bad investment

I think the reason that the ML's had problems is that they are build here, not in Germany. There is a difference in a true german build vehicle.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:08 PM

and the fact they have way too much domestic content....

the same type of content which makes Ford, GM etc at times troublesome.
I'm convinced if the ML was 100% German the problems would be far less.
Practically all off my problems have been domestic component quality related or just poor assembly.... Then aggravated by dealer incompetence (Hoehn @ Carlsbad California).

Great design / concept but could have been executed better...

Last edited by timdf; 12-01-2002 at 12:59 AM.