Notices
M-Class (W163) 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Minor power steering fluid leak..

 
Old 12-22-2007, 02:49 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Minor power steering fluid leak..

I was diagnosed with a very minor power steering fluid leak last year through my 100K mile service.

The leak was so little, my SA advised just to ignore it for now & worry about it only when it gets a little bigger..

Its been a year now, and although the leak doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, it is a steady annoyance...2-3 drops over night...a small puddle if left parked for a week and so on. Replenishing needed every 3-4 months.

I was at the local autozone today, and just happened to discuss this issue with one of their reps. They first confirmed that the power steering fluid that the ML uses is of non-mineral type and then recommended, I try this product from Hi-Performance Lucas - it is power steering fluid that when put in the reservoir is supposed to plug minor leaks. I bought the bottle because it was only about $10, but am sceptical of putting non-MB fluids in the vehicle.

Here's link at the lucas website about their product:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Does anyone have any experiences with putting non-MB power steering fluid in the truck, that they might want to share?

Last edited by mihir_d; 12-22-2007 at 02:53 PM.
mihir_d is offline  
Old 12-22-2007, 11:07 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.
ruey220 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:11 AM
  #3  
Almost a Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.
SLR199 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 AM
  #4  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Thanks for your pointer..

Originally Posted by SLR199 View Post
Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.
There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.

Last edited by mihir_d; 12-23-2007 at 12:35 AM.
mihir_d is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 01:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by mihir_d View Post
There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.

great golly that SA said it is a $180 job and told you not to worry about it when it is leaking at a rate of refill every 3-4 months? That fluid is making a mess in the environment, your undercarriage, the garage (hope nobody slips and breaks a bone from that leaked fluid)

that is why i said he probably wants your pump to break if you forget to put the fluid. my SA was the worse, he knows my pump doesn't need replacement then went on to quote me a $1k job to have the leaking just like yours stopped.
ruey220 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 02:00 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by mihir_d View Post
There was certainly a power steering hose & clamp replaced under warranty around 30K miles. Which one, I don't remember now. When the dealer infored me about the leak last year through the 100K miles service, he had quoted it as a $180 fix and so it is certainly not the rack or the pump. My reservoir's outer surface does stay a bit damp, but that is normal with a lot of cars, and the drip location is not right beneath it.

I will have to go back and pull last year's paperwork. I think, the mechanic had left notes on the paperwork about what the cause of the leak was, if not they might even have the cause documented under the vehicle's service history.

I will just return the $10 solution back to Autozone. That Lucas fluid is certainly not the right approach to this problem.

Thanks all for your input...will keep you posted about what the real problem was.

i'm glad you didn't go with the lucas fluid approach. I think that's more for the mechanical old design 1960's-1970's leaking power steering pumps that were very primitive in design and had the wear and tear meat of a construction vs today's mass produced fabricated save every penny, every ounce of material to maximize a buck type of design.
ruey220 is offline  
Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 AM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLR199 View Post
Without even seeing the vehicle, I can almost assure you its coming from the upper power steering hose. It runs from the rack to the top of the radiator. It is supposed to be covered for 150,000 miles. The hoses supplied from the factory are garbage, and the replacement hoses are actually a good bit better, yet tend to follow the same fate as their predecessors. Chances are it was replaced once under warranty already. Just my opinion. Might want to check that hose out.
Or it could be the o-ring between the pump and the reservoir. I've had to replace mine once.
golfman1966 is offline  
Old 12-24-2007, 01:38 AM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SF
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ML350
Scary that your power steering fluid is leaking. I went to start my '03 ML350 this afternoon, heard a strange noise, and then the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I got out and looked and there was fluid streaming out. Unfortunately, the service dept is closed until Wed so the ML will have to stay parked on the hill. It'll be interesting how we're going to tow it to the dealership. I'm pretty sure this will be covered under warranty as I bought my ML350 as a CPO in Sept and I've barely driven 3000 miles since.
bettyboop is offline  
Old 12-24-2007, 11:28 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 432
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by bettyboop View Post
Scary that your power steering fluid is leaking. I went to start my '03 ML350 this afternoon, heard a strange noise, and then the steering wheel wouldn't turn. I got out and looked and there was fluid streaming out. Unfortunately, the service dept is closed until Wed so the ML will have to stay parked on the hill. It'll be interesting how we're going to tow it to the dealership. I'm pretty sure this will be covered under warranty as I bought my ML350 as a CPO in Sept and I've barely driven 3000 miles since.
that's just the hose that came off. put another one and you'll be fine.
ruey220 is offline  
Old 12-24-2007, 09:11 PM
  #10  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
It was the O-ring between the reservior and pump in my case..

Took it to the dealer today...they opened up the service history...it was documented as a leak between the reservoir and the pump.

$180 to replace the reservoir and refill new fluid.

I asked, why replace the whole reservoir when only O ring can be replaced? Was given 2 reasons.

1. Cost of reservoir is a mere $32
2. Reservoir has an irreplaceable power steering fluid filter which is probably clogged enough at 100K miles to justify a replacement.

Just got it done today...nice to be at peace of mind...

Last edited by mihir_d; 12-25-2007 at 12:18 PM.
mihir_d is offline  
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM
  #11  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all

The top hose has just come off on our 2000 ML at 220K KM. This is the 2nd time for sure, possibly the third. The previous owner had the recall performed once, maybe twice but he can't remember. He did add a second hose clamp. So does anyone have an opinion as to what the problem is? Poor hose design, poor clamps, no bead on the hose barb on the cooler? Combination of these?

Would roughing up the hose barb with emery cloth and using two clamps help keep it on there?

Thanks. Derek.
Mr_Biggles is offline  
Old 01-19-2008, 12:41 AM
  #12  
Member
 
cmitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320, 2006 ML350
Originally Posted by mihir_d View Post
Took it to the dealer today...they opened up the service history...it was documented as a leak between the reservoir and the pump.

$180 to replace the reservoir and refill new fluid.

I asked, why replace the whole reservoir when only O ring can be replaced? Was given 2 reasons.

1. Cost of reservoir is a mere $32
2. Reservoir has an irreplaceable power steering fluid filter which is probably clogged enough at 100K miles to justify a replacement.

Just got it done today...nice to be at peace of mind...
$180? Whew! Both ML's had reservoirs that are/were leaking. I still need to do the 99ML430 but I replaced the 2002ML320 about 2 months ago. The reservoir was cracked on it but I believe it's just the o-ring on the 99. It's about a 45 minute job.
cmitch is offline  
Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
  #13  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Yep, its exactly about a 45 minute job...

Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
$180? Whew! Both ML's had reservoirs that are/were leaking. I still need to do the 99ML430 but I replaced the 2002ML320 about 2 months ago. The reservoir was cracked on it but I believe it's just the o-ring on the 99. It's about a 45 minute job.
They charged me 1 hour labor for it. Here's the part you cannot DIY though, unless you have a lift.

Wipe the undercarriage, and inspect it with a flashlight to ensure, the reservoir & O-ring were the only source of the leak...and there are no more drippings..

Minor power steering fluid leak..-undercarriage.jpg
mihir_d is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM
  #14  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 320
lucas power steering fluid works!

my 2001 ml 320 had a small leak as well. i took it to my mechanic and they told me to buy the lucas power steering fluid that you were talking about, and this fluid defenetly fix the problem. i no longer have any more noise from my pump. i dont think it cause any damages to your vehicle. after u have no more leaks u can replace the fluid with ur regular mercedes fluid.
Originally Posted by mihir_d View Post
I was diagnosed with a very minor power steering fluid leak last year through my 100K mile service.

The leak was so little, my SA advised just to ignore it for now & worry about it only when it gets a little bigger..

Its been a year now, and although the leak doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, it is a steady annoyance...2-3 drops over night...a small puddle if left parked for a week and so on. Replenishing needed every 3-4 months.

I was at the local autozone today, and just happened to discuss this issue with one of their reps. They first confirmed that the power steering fluid that the ML uses is of non-mineral type and then recommended, I try this product from Hi-Performance Lucas - it is power steering fluid that when put in the reservoir is supposed to plug minor leaks. I bought the bottle because it was only about $10, but am sceptical of putting non-MB fluids in the vehicle.

Here's link at the lucas website about their product:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Does anyone have any experiences with putting non-MB power steering fluid in the truck, that they might want to share?
lcabre55 is offline  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
  #15  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 320
using a fluid that stops leaks is not like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. when the car heats up to its noral temperture the fluid actually works as a regular power steering fluid. although it is not an MB fluid, it does not cause any damages to the pump or the racks. i have used it and it does works.
Originally Posted by ruey220 View Post
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.
lcabre55 is offline  
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 AM
  #16  
Member
 
Marshall_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 232
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
How long

How long have you been running your truck with this fix?
Marshall_K is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM
  #17  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML350
I had the same problem, did what you were told and then took it in when the problem got worse... several hunderds later i drive home with new power steering pump.

2 days later the hose flies off when I start it and I've got a puddle of fluid in my driveway...
Redwingedfreak is offline  
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
c3212571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes c32 1998 Toyota tacoma 2002 Honda Cbr600f4i
Factory recall.
c3212571 is offline  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
  #19  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 88
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml320 & c240
Using a fluid to stop a leak is only a temporary fix.I had leaks both at the reservoir and the hose. I put a new reservoir in and a second hose clamp on the hose. Simple job no more leaks.
benzeboy is offline  
Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
drdoruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML 350
hello,
2006 ML 350 75,000miles
At several oil changes, I've been told before that "the power steering fluid tank is leaking from top". I have moved to a new condo, and they are a bit meticulous about leaks in the parking lot. I had no leaking issues, however, since I have had a new oil change and they topped off the fluids, I got a warning to fix it from the condo management.

I tried to wait it our until it leaks the excess, but it's not stopping One thing comes to my mind is to lower the level of power steering fluid. Or the wise way might be just getting it fixed. I have taken a price from the highly rated oil change place and they quoted me $80 for the parts + $150 for labor. I called the mercedes service and I was told there was an update to the part so I have to change both the tank and the pump totaling something close to $1000.

I was thinking maybe it's just the seal or the o-ring that causes the leak. but I coudln't get to open the tank, it doesn't simply unscrew, and I was late for work didn't want to get my hands dirty trying to figure it out.

I believe prices on amazon would be way cheaper. But this call to service threw in a monkey wrench
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
drdoruk is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 04:57 PM
  #21  
Super Member
 
art_arev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
Posts: 502
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML500, 2003 ML55
Originally Posted by drdoruk View Post
hello,
2006 ML 350 75,000miles
At several oil changes, I've been told before that "the power steering fluid tank is leaking from top". I have moved to a new condo, and they are a bit meticulous about leaks in the parking lot. I had no leaking issues, however, since I have had a new oil change and they topped off the fluids, I got a warning to fix it from the condo management.

I tried to wait it our until it leaks the excess, but it's not stopping One thing comes to my mind is to lower the level of power steering fluid. Or the wise way might be just getting it fixed. I have taken a price from the highly rated oil change place and they quoted me $80 for the parts + $150 for labor. I called the mercedes service and I was told there was an update to the part so I have to change both the tank and the pump totaling something close to $1000.

I was thinking maybe it's just the seal or the o-ring that causes the leak. but I coudln't get to open the tank, it doesn't simply unscrew, and I was late for work didn't want to get my hands dirty trying to figure it out.

I believe prices on amazon would be way cheaper. But this call to service threw in a monkey wrench
What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Sorry but you are in the wrong forum. This is W163 yours is W164
art_arev is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 03:43 PM
  #22  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mrcedes R350 2008
Originally Posted by ruey220 View Post
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.
Lol! You are so rite about that bro!
I have power steering leak 08 R350 can't find where it coming from yet?
Dealer, just like you sad, told me not to worry about it till it will cost me $4000! WTF? Forget about it, don't know what I 'm going to do, but for now just adding more fluid thats all I guess.
michael3158030 is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
  #23  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay area - California
Posts: 594
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
If it is the steering rack..look for a rebuilt one...

I eventually ended up working with a steering rack rebuilder online, who exchanged my core for a rebuilt one (for around $600)...and I spent another $400ish getting it installed.

A rebuilt rack does not restore the steering feel to 100% factory, but works just well. I have had the rebuilt rack for 2.5 years now...no problems..and no more leaks.

Steering rack rubber seals wear out in about 8-10 years time...not much that can be done about it. Best approach is to go with rebuilt parts to keep the cost low.

Good luck!
mihir_d is offline  
Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 PM
  #24  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB ML350 4matic
Other possibilities

Originally Posted by ruey220 View Post
my goodness, plug a leak with a fluid that stops leaks is like a clot in the blood to stop a bleeding vein. that is like poison to your car's vital organ. don't also believe the dealer in when he says don't worry about the leak, because he rather have your power steering pump have fluid starvation and then sell you a pump or rack for $1000.

i tell you these dealers have such high overhead expenses, they need to get at least $10k profit from each of their customers annually to pay off their marble floors, all glass showroom, and granite countertops.
You might consider the possibility that the consumer misunderstood the sales pitch. I have found Auto Zone to be the MB owner's best friend when it comes to avoiding the dealership rates; might point out I voted the local MB dealership has the best service manager and staff in the entire nation). I had a minor leak in the area of the power steering and the local oil change store that I once went to pointed out to me that it was dangerous for me to even drive home (4 blocks away). Now for $611 they will replace my power steering pump, not counting fluid. So I wanted a second opinion, Auto Zone technician showed me a can of additive that softens the seal on the pump. It didn't work at first, two months later it had stopped leaking altogether.I save $508 dollars. Now, 5000 miles later, I have a minor leak again, but it's 105 degree summer here on the desert. I will continue to add fluid and put a mat under the front end of the car. Problem solved.
nebo is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Minor power steering fluid leak..


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: