M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML quality problems...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
is it the build quality or design quality that is the problem with these MLs?
Old 11-19-2001, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML430, 2008 GL550, 2008 F250 Superduty, 2007 VW Jetta
there is a difference...

if you are planning on getting a used ML, id highly recommend a 2000 model. the 98's and 99's are more problematic. not to mention they made tons of improvements to the 2000 MY. dont get me wrong, the ML is a solid car. my gripe was just between the german made mbz's and the amercan made ones. overall, my ML is solid. no mechanical problems, just some rattles from the rear bench seat hinges and door planels that i seem to focus on when driving. both can be fixed relatively easy with thicker door panel insulation and a few bushings on the hinges, which i plan on fixing soon.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Lightbulb Love My ML

It seems with as many reads as this thread has had, more people would have spoken up about loving their mls. I browse forums other than this one where there are sooo many people that are so crazy about their mls, you could call them fanatical. As the owner of a 2001 ml320 with luxury package, convenience package, skyview top, bose stereo, navigation, and the timeport phone, i have to say my car is great. Aside from the small quirky problems, there are so many great things people fail to mention. I could rant for 10 pages why I think my ml is so perfect. (for me) It has been to the shop for a few issues, but none that left me stranded, thats what is important to me. And aside from that, it is a safe vehicle. It has been rated well several places, and besides ratings, I have seen lots of real world pictures that make me real glad I drive a ml. nuf' said
Old 11-19-2001, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
To lee2375

My problems with my 98 and the ML500 have been mostly component problems that were supplied to MB from outside vendors. Particularly the electronics with both vehicles. However there were a few MB quality issues with the build with the 98 and only one or 2 minor ones with the 02 ML500. The dealer seems to be able to correct these the first time but with the component problems, thats another story. Sometimes a bad component is replaced with another of the same.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
to bjwebster

I'm very glad you are satisfied with your ML. Of all the ML's I see with various problems, I know there are many more out there on the road that are perfectly fine. Some ML's only come in for routine maintenance, and these ones must have been made when "Sweet Home Alabama" was playing on the radio at the ML plant in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Extra motivation for the factory workers, perhaps? You say your ML has the Lamella roof, or "skyview". I must say, you are a brave soul. These things seem to jam up more often than an Afghan radar screen. But as long as you are happy with your ML, I'm glad you like it. And, as you point out, they are very safe vehicles. No other SUV can touch the ML for that title.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Cool Skyview etc..

No problems so far with the skyview, have had so people say the same things you said but have talked to others with no problems. (note to self....get mb extended warranty) What problems with it have you seen? when jammed can you close with the little tool thing? And another point. I come from a more technologically literate time, i know that alot of ml owners are alot older than i am, in fact my parents have one, and about a bizillion other people at their club have them and love them. But most of them dont use computers, and if they do, their not a huge dork like me and surf around mb messageboards. hehe Just a thougt. I just hate seeing such a good vehicle get a wrap i dont think it entirely deserves, i realize the problems, but think people focus to much on them and not the good.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
There are just so many moving parts in the Lamella roof, that's where the weakness is. Once it's jammed, there's no way I've been able to close it with the little dinky tool they give you. All the individual slats have to be removed, everything lubed up, all the clearances adjusted. It's a huge pain in the ****. Which is why whenever we get an ML in for service, NOBODY touches the button for the roof, lest it jam up.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Crossing

Well Ill Cross my fingers I remain lucky, and that my friend, the skyview top doesent jamb. Thanks for the input.
Bolton