M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Need some help: Project W163 - 98 ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996TT
Need some help: Project W163 - 98 ML320

Well we already have a bunch of nice cars but we needed a beater for the winter and this car just happened to fall into my lap for literally nothing.

Here are the specs:
1998 ML320, Bordeaux Red Metallic/Caramel
92,xxx Miles

I already have a few plans for this car but I'm sure some of you guys with more experience can school me on some stuff. The overall theme on this is for it to look clean and oem-like... nothing crazy, nothing over the top not to say that I'm not open to suggestions.

I already purchased a few upgrades including lights, those old lights bug the hell out of me so I purchased the facelifted tails and headlights. They make a huge difference on the car.
The whole car will be repainted with the same OEM color (unless I end up changing my mind and get Alabaster White)... the horrid looking Gray scheme on the car is obviously going to get painted along which also makes it look more like the facelift.
I've been looking into other upgrades to make it look more current. I was thinking of possibly getting the W164-style front grill in silver but I'm not sure yet because its a little gaudy for my taste. I also saw the new mirror covers that add the turning signal like the facelift... but I'm not sure if its going to look weird on these elephant ear looking mirrors. I was thinking to get a set of facelift side mirrors but I can't imagine they are cheap whatsoever.
I haven't decided on a set of wheels yet but I have a few ideas.
Please give me an suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance.
-Lee
Old 08-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
keep it factory color, have a propper detail done so you dont bring down its value with a repaint, paint the bumpers, then do a set of ML55 wheels, upgrade your stereo system and call it a day
Old 08-12-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I will agree with 55fanatic...

Don't try a re-paint...not only will its value drop, you won't get that paint quality again...MB uses special paint processes that cannot be replicated at any other aftermarket shops...
Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 PM

996TT
thanks for the advice guys. i'm honestly not worried about bringing the value down cuz this car's value is so low already. but i did think about it and i'm just gonna do a repray of the original red. the finish is gonna be perfect, its gonna be done at my shop... the factory finish off the mercedes factory isn't that impressive by the way, so much orange peel on on all the mercedes' we've had in the family. i'm gonna pick up either a set of ML55 wheels, or some bigger AMG reps. i'm gonna keep it simple for now, not looking to spend too much on a car that is gonna be a beater anyway... but of course it still has to look good. anyone painted the rear pillars matched to body? it looks great on most colors except for bright ones. probably won't do it but it looked great on our denali. any pics of red MLs (AMG or not) would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I have one more piece of advice to share...

You are getting into a 98. I own a 2000, up until 2002, these cars were not built to perfection. There was sourcing of cheap parts by MB.

If the plan is to use it as a banger for the winter, do keep in mind, that repairs on these are expensive...

I have 120K on my ML, and although knock on wood, I haven't had the fuel pump ($1000) or the tranny ($3000) or any other such big ticket items go bad on me, but there are plenty of people on this forum who have suffered with such expensive repairs on these trucks.

I myself went through the wiper motor at around 90K miles ($500) (the original motor they put had put in was made in Mexico...the replacement one was made in Germany), and now at 120K, I am ready to replace my fuse panel ($550), because the truck is randomly blowing fuses and relays and my mechanic thinks, there is nothing wrong as such with the trucks electricals, except that the aged fuse panel itself could be the cause. I won't be surprised to find the original panel to be made in Mexico and the replacement one again made in Germany...besides that I have gone through 3 power lock actuators ($300/each) so far.

Fortunately, my 2 big ticket items (skyview roof - $2250) & the catalytic converters ($2400) were both under warranty.

I would strongly recommend reading the "What to look out for on w163" thread before making the plunge...

P.S. Although, I don't have a picture at hand to share, trust me, I did the turn signal mirror cap upgrade, and they don't look bad at all on those elephant sized mirrors...in fact I get several compliments for that facelift.

My next upgrade is the head/tail lights...

Last edited by mihir_d; 08-12-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:00 AM

996TT
Originally Posted by mihir_d
You are getting into a 98. I own a 2000, up until 2002, these cars were not built to perfection. There was sourcing of cheap parts by MB.

If the plan is to use it as a banger for the winter, do keep in mind, that repairs on these are expensive...

I have 120K on my ML, and although knock on wood, I haven't had the fuel pump ($1000) or the tranny ($3000) or any other such big ticket items go bad on me, but there are plenty of people on this forum who have suffered with such expensive repairs on these trucks.

I myself went through the wiper motor at around 90K miles ($500) (the original motor they put had put in was made in Mexico...the replacement one was made in Germany), and now at 120K, I am ready to replace my fuse panel ($550), because the truck is randomly blowing fuses and relays and my mechanic thinks, there is nothing wrong as such with the trucks electricals, except that the aged fuse panel itself could be the cause. I won't be surprised to find the original panel to be made in Mexico and the replacement one again made in Germany...besides that I have gone through 3 power lock actuators ($300/each) so far.

Fortunately, my 2 big ticket items (skyview roof - $2250) & the catalytic converters ($2400) were both under warranty.

I would strongly recommend reading the "What to look out for on w163" thread before making the plunge...

P.S. Although, I don't have a picture at hand to share, trust me, I did the turn signal mirror cap upgrade, and they don't look bad at all on those elephant sized mirrors...in fact I get several compliments for that facelift.

My next upgrade is the head/tail lights...
I hear you, I know this car is high maintenance and parts are a pain. I figure I'll do a few things... if it goes to **** I'll just have to get something else. I've had my fair share of experience with MBs so I definitely know what you mean and I appreciate the head's up. I'd appreciate some pics of the mirror caps... seems cool just can't make up my mind cuz of the shape. Just pics of your car in general would be great, seems like you know a good amount about these cars. Yes, that thread was very helpful... I already printed it out and gonna check a few things out lol. I'd definitely recommend the light upgrades, ESPECIALLY the front makes an enormous difference. Thanks buddy
Old 08-13-2008, 02:38 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
I'll be able to mail the pictures to you on Saturday..

I have performed about 10 inexpensive upgrades so far on the ML

1. brushed aluminum roof rails,
2. clear fog light caps & pencil beam driving lights,
3. chrome rear hatch cover,
4. Chrom ribs on front grill
5. Chrome door handle covers
6. Chrome ML logo hitch cover
7. updated mirror caps

and a few others..

A chrome exhaust tip & updating the head/tail lights is next on my list...

I will be more than happy to send you the pictures. My wife's currently out with the ML on a work trip to Southern California. I will take some pictures and send them to you when she gets back.

Originally Posted by TPowerdinNY
Just pics of your car in general would be great, seems like you know a good amount about these cars.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 PM

Am I missing something? Why would you want to do anything to a beater? I just picked up a 99 ML320 as a beater winter car from the original owner and except for the Mercedes recall on the cats, I don't plan on doing anything to it. Got it for $2000 and plan only routine maintenance on it.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:06 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Originally Posted by powerpig
Am I missing something? Why would you want to do anything to a beater? I just picked up a 99 ML320 as a beater winter car from the original owner and except for the Mercedes recall on the cats, I don't plan on doing anything to it. Got it for $2000 and plan only routine maintenance on it.
I think, that depends on what line of thought you come with. If you are spending lets say 10K on a beater instead of the 25K you had initially thought off for the winter ride, spending 2K on some upgrades is not going to feel bad at all..and at the same time give you the satisfaction of driving a like-new car.

BTW, that ML that you picked up for 2K is really sharp, for that price...
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks and good luck with your project. Make sure to post some pics.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:24 PM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Here are the pictures...

Originally Posted by mihir_d
I have performed about 10 inexpensive upgrades so far on the ML
All the upgrades applied..

1. brushed aluminum roof rails,

2. clear fog light caps & pencil beam driving lights,
3. Chrom ribs on front grill

4. chrome rear hatch cover,

5. Chrome door handle covers

6. updated mirror caps

Last edited by mihir_d; 08-19-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
you know, after speaking to the OP... I understand his background a little more...

Lee... here is my suggestion... Go full AMG/ brabus on road kit. Both are great yet subtle. If you do the AMG, go alabaster white. Just quickly off the top of my head, I dont believe there is a single(unless custom ordered) ML55 or ML320/350/430/500 sport in alabaster/ arctic white. I bet it would look pretty damn good in alabaster white.

If you do the brabus kit go with the dark blue(not sure on the name), I think its one of the nicest colors out there on the MLs.

Delete the roof racks as well, it gives it an entirely different look. Gives the illusion of a lowered stance with out really lowering it at all.

also illuminated door sills... you owuldnt believe how many people ooh and ahh over them
Old 09-02-2008, 09:58 PM

2002 Ml-320
ML 320 2002 Model

Mihir-d
Tell me how you were able to upgrade this?

I have 2002 Ml-320 with 85,000 miles now.

Any idea how to get rid off the scratches and parking lot small colr scratches?